Friday, May 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6605, 2013-05-10

2013 College Championship quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Nishanth Uli, a sophomore from Washington University in St. Louis from Solon, Ohio
Laura Rigge, a junior at Wellesley College from Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Forrest Farjadian, a sophomore from the University of Tulsa from Claremore, Oklahoma

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the last of our quarterfinal matches.
Much to be decided in this half-hour. The winner, today, of course, comes back next week as a semi-finalist along with the four previous winners from earlier this week and the four high-scorers among non-winners,
So there's a lot at stake.
Forrest, Laura, and Nishanth, welcome aboard.
Pick up those signaling devices, and let's go to work in the first round of play, which today contains these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL (3/5)
LITERARY CHARACTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV LOCALES (4/5)
THE SHORT FORM (5/5) (Alex: We want you to give us the long form of the word in quotation marks)
THEY ARE THE CHAMPIONS (4/5)
CENTURY OF THE MAN (5/5) (Alex: We'll give you the man)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nishanth: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Laura: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Forrest: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Nishanth: $2,800
Forrest: $200
Laura: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Nishanth Uli has two majors: biology and history, but he's minoring in French, which is going to come in handy this summer, I understand.
Nishanth: Oh, yeah. I'm going to France this summer to actually shadow a neurosurgeon there.
Alex: Where?
Nishanth: Nice.
Alex: Oh, you're on the riviera?
Nishanth: Oh, yeah. [ laughs ]
Alex: And what are you going to be doing, exactly?
Nishanth: I'm going to be shadowing a doctor, taking a couple classes, living with a homestay family, and taking in the culture there, I guess.
Alex: Okay, there's a lot of culture to enjoy in south France.
Nishanth: Oh, yeah.

Alex: Laura Rigge is from Pennsylvania. Her major is Russian. [ speaks russian ]
Laura: [ speaks russian ]
Alex: And are you going to Russia, perhaps, to shadow some russian doctor or a teacher?
Laura: Not to shadow a doctor, but I am going to Russia this summer --actually to Lake Baikal in Siberia, which always sounds a bit crazy to people.
Alex: Why does it sound crazy? It's a fascinating place to visit.
Laura: Siberia isn't most people's idea of a summer-vacation spot.
Alex: Yeah, but Baikal is a great spot. Great spot. A lot of good stuff there.

Alex: Forrest Farjainan?
Forrest: Uh-huh. Yep.
Alex: I pronounced it correct.
Forrest: You got it.
Alex: Okay, this young man is a talented student, obviously, but he has one problem, and that is he does not like to return books at the library.
Forrest: That is right. A lot of my classes don't really have textbooks, so we just get a smattering of readings from other books, and, of course, I get them from the library, and they just sort of accumulate because books are heavy, and the library is kind of far away.
Alex: How many books do you have out on loan right now?
Forrest: It's probably in the 60s or 70s at the moment.
[ laughter ]
Alex: And do they charge you an overdue fee?
Forrest: Fortunately, there are no fines, but I renew them just to be nice.
Alex: Good for you. That's very sweet of you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Laura found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Forrest had $200, Laura had $600, and Nishanth was at $2,800. Laura made it a True Daily Double, wagering $600.

LITERARY CHARACTERS $800: The pawnbroker Alyona Ivanovna & her sister Lizaveta are murdered with an ax in this novel

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEY ARE THE CHAMPIONS $800: Chris Wahren: this board game using numbered rectangular blocks

HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL $600: "Beastly" type of desk lamp with a long, flexible shaft, helpful in studying without waking a roommate
(Forrest: What is a bird lamp?)

HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL $1000: This useful type of hitch knot shares its name with certain undergraduates in Annapolis
(Nishanth: What is a cadet knot?)
(Forrest: What is a sailor knot?)
(Laura: What is an ensign knot?)

TV LOCALES $1000: It's set in Mystic Falls, Virginia, home of werewolves & other creatures

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nishanth: $6,800
Laura: $3,000
Forrest: $200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INNOVATION (4/5)
POP CULTURE (5/5)
RIVER RUN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MAGAZINES (5/5)
"HIT" ME (5/5)
PORTAIT OF THE ARTIST'S MOTHER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: And finally, in honor of Mother's Day on Sunday...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nishanth: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Laura: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Forrest: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nishanth snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Forrest had $1,800, Laura had $6,600, and Nishanth was at $11,600. Nishanth wagered $1,400.

PORTAIT OF THE ARTIST'S MOTHER $2000: Noted as a painter of moms and kids, this American impressionist showed her own mom with the grandkids

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Laura who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Forrest had $3,400, Laura had $13,400, and Nishanth was at $21,800. Laura wagered $4,000.

RIVER RUN $1600: From the Rockies to the Gulf, between Brownsville & Matamoros
(Laura: What is the Columbia?)
(Alex: No, what is [*]? You were way too far north.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INNOVATION $2000: A new Antarctic base slides across ice on skis operated by this type of power that applies fluid mechanics

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nishanth: $21,800
Laura: $11,400
Forrest: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES IN TRANSPORTATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Nishanth: Wager $1,001 to cover Laura, but no more than $14,999 so as not to fall behind Forrest's doubled score.
Laura: You have the hope of surpassing Nishanth if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,401 to force Nishanth to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $4,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Forrest.
Forrest: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1928, a year after making international headlines, it reached its final destination, the Smithsonian

FINAL SCORES
Forrest: $3,400 + $3,395 = $6,795 (What is The Spirit of St. Louis?) (2nd place)
Laura: $11,400 - $5,500 = $5,900 (What is the Hindenburg?) (3rd place)
Nishanth: $21,800 + $1,001 = $22,801 (What is the Spirit of St. Louis?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: [revealing Forest's response] the name of Charles Lindburgh's plane.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nishanth: $22,400, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Laura: $15,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Forrest: $3,400, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $41,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Nishanth: 26/59 = .441
Laura: 20/60 = .333
Forrest: 10/58 = .172
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THEY ARE THE CHAMPIONS $600: Ronnie O'Sullivan: this British billiards variant
(Laura: What is pool?)

CENTURY OF THE MAN $200: Emperor Hirohito
(Laura: What is Japan?)

PORTAIT OF THE ARTIST'S MOTHER $400: The mother of all portraits of an artist's mother is by him

PORTAIT OF THE ARTIST'S MOTHER $800: Seen in a portrait here, Julia, the mom of this pop artist, lived with her son the last 20 years of her life

PORTAIT OF THE ARTIST'S MOTHER $1200: This Mexican woman didn't just paint her mom; she included her dad, both sets of grandparents, and herself, twice

PORTAIT OF THE ARTIST'S MOTHER $1600: This son of Iowa painted his mother Hattie in the same style as his later American Gothic

POP CULTURE $800: A 2013 Internet sensation gets its name from this dance going back to the 80's

INNOVATION $400: Goodyear's air maintenance technology uses a regulator that adds air when pressure falls in these
(Nishanth: What is a blimp?)

INNOVATION $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew explains the font of some text shown on a monitor.) The font seen here has heavy bottoms, creating a sort of gravity to each letter to help people afflicted with this neurological disorder avoid reading errors

MAGAZINES $1200: BFF Gayle King is editor-at-large of this magazine
(Alex: [*] for Oprah.)

RIVER RUN $400: From the Cotswolds to Teddington Lock
(Alex: That's the river.)

RIVER RUN $800: From the Black Forest to the Black Sea (it's blue, though)
(Nishanth: What is the Rone?)
(Alex: The blue [*], yes.)

RIVER RUN $2000: From the Valdai Hills to the Caspian Sea
(Alex: [*], yes, good for you. Russia coming to your rescue, again.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Crime and Punishment
dominoes
gooseneck lamp
a midshipman's knot
The Vampire Diaries
(Mary) Casaat
the Rio Grande
hydraulic
the Spirit of St. Louis
snooker
the 20th century
Whistler
(Andy) Warhaal
Freida Kallah
(Grant) Wood
the Harlem Shake
tires
dyslexia
O
the Thames
the Danube
the Volga

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Famous Names in Transportation
In 1928, a year after making international headlines, it reached its final destination, the Smithsonian.

SpoilerShow
What is the Spirit of St. Louis? Laura said the Hindenburg.
Nishanth Uli (A Sophomore from Washington University in St. Louis): $21,800+$1,001=$22,801...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Laura Rigge (A Junior from Wellesley College): $11,400-$5,500=$5,900
Forrest Farjadian (A Sophomore from Tulsa): $3,400+$3,395=$6,795
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 pm

The woman from Wellesley should have stood pat on the 5-figures she had going into FJ. She should have assumed that would have been enough to become a semi-finalist.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

elijahjt
Contributor

Post by elijahjt » Fri May 10, 2013 7:16 pm

I'm sure this question has been answered elsewhere, but it's going to come up anyway... do the contestants know the standings / results of the other matches before going into game? I'm guessing the answer is no, or else Laura...

Seeing the term "Instaget" on a FJ I get wrong makes me feel bad, so I'll just say this was easy for me because it was up my alley. The name of the category was a bit strange though; I was expecting the answer to be a person.

hanzz

Post by hanzz » Fri May 10, 2013 7:24 pm

elijahjt wrote:I'm sure this question has been answered elsewhere, but it's going to come up anyway... do the contestants know the standings / results of the other matches before going into game? I'm guessing the answer is no, or else Laura...

Seeing the term "Instaget" on a FJ I get wrong makes me feel bad, so I'll just say this was easy for me because it was up my alley. The name of the category was a bit strange though; I was expecting the answer to be a person.
Nope, quarterfinalists that haven't played are kept sequestered. Though Maggie during briefing, before we get on stage, during commercial breaks, FJ wagering, repeatedly reminds us to "remember the Wild Cards!". I don't know if my group was just more awesome and well-researched, but we all seemed to know that in the past, $15,000 was the highest cutoff there'd been in a College tournament.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 pm

The Hindenburg!? Yikes.

Once again, I overestimate how much it takes for a WC in these things. I was hoping she bet small, but of course she had no way of knowing.

Near-instaget FJ, now to wait and see which bonus clues show up to deny me the 8/8 tomorrow.

ACW

Post by ACW » Fri May 10, 2013 7:54 pm

HINDENBERG?????

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Fri May 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Remember the teen champion this year who thought he had a lock tournament at the end of DJ! game two but he got lucky.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 pm

legendneverdies wrote:Remember the teen champion this year who thought he had a lock tournament at the end of DJ! game two but he got lucky.
Not that I'd forget... but... Why?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 pm

bpmod wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Remember the teen champion this year who thought he had a lock tournament at the end of DJ! game two but he got lucky.
Not that I'd forget... but... Why?

Brian
Meaning occasionally people forget they have lock games or don't have lock games. Bob Blake forgot he had a lock in his fifth regular game, and he was an actuary :)

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat » Fri May 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Wow, Uli was really good. I loved Laura's DD wager: enough to solidify a WC (historically) it's right, but if it's wrong she still has room to come back.

A good game too. I love the college tournament

Leander

Post by Leander » Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 pm

I wanted Laura to get in. I was yelling Rio Grande at the screen on that DD. But Hindenberg was a bad guess for an answer in FJ. She also got lucky with two Russia related questions.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 pm

I thought that river DD was pretty tricky, as my first thought upon hearing Rockies was the Colorado, but then it occurred to me that it could also be the Rio Grande, and I had no idea which made more sense. I also misunderstood the clue a bit:

From the Rockies to the Gulf, between Brownsville & Matamoros.

I was thinking the second part was giving the starting and ending point of the river, meaning the river's length spans from the Rockies to the Gulf, or from Brownsville to Matamoros. Matamoros I figured was in Mexico, and I was guessing maybe Brownsville was up in the Rockies somewhere, like in Colorado or Wyoming. Had I recognized Brownsville as a Texas city, I may have realized what they were going for, as the clue is intended to say that the spot in the Gulf that the river reaches is between Brownsville and Matamoros, which are right across the U.S./Mexico border from each other. The other tricky thing is that the Colorado and Rio Grande both go from the Rockies to the Gulf. One goes to the Gulf of Mexico and the other to the Gulf of California.

I wonder if the incorrect guess of blimp on the tire clue that mentioned Goodyear late in DD stuck in Laura's mind and led to her incorrect guess at the FJ clue. The first was a pretty amusing miss on a low value clue. The second, not so amusing, at least from Laura's point of view.

Are there any "good" wrong answers to that FJ clue? Any famous vessel name I can think of from the first half of the 20th century is either off by at least 10 years, or was not left in any condition to enter the Smithsonian. Some fit both. The Spruce Goose, Hindenburg, Titanic, Lusitania, the Maine. I guess if you have no idea of the timeframe for Titanic, the Carpathia would be a decent guess, as it surely made some headlines for recovering the Titanic survivors. Though I don't know if an ocean liner would fit into the Smithsonian.

Chuck Yeager's plane was called Glamorous Glennis, but he was 20 years too late for this clue, and that name is pretty obscure by Jeopardy! standards, with only 3 hits in the Archive, none of which asking players to name the plane. The plane is in the Smithsonian, so it wouldn't be the worst guess in the world, if you were somehow unaware that Lindbergh's famous flight took place in 1927.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 pm

FJ was an Instaget for me and thought it was a pretty easy FJ...

But Hindenburg? Really? I wonder if that was a real answer or if she was just making a last-minute joke. She really roared in from being in last place at the start of the game and had a good chance at the end.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm

As time ran down, I was hoping Forrest would end with $4,600. The last wild card spot was at $9,199. Of course, he didn't know this, but would he bet it all? Given that he held back $5, I guess the answer would have been no.

Instaget on FJ. Something famous that happened in 1927? Has to be Lindy and his plane. Would have been funny if the guy from St. Louis missed it.

I hope the Hidenburg was just an attempt to put something down.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I was in Brownsville once, and decided to take a walk in Matamoros to see what it looked like. I walked about a block in to a large plaza, didn't feel comfortable or safe at all, turned around, and walked back to the U.S. And this was before all the drug trafficking.

It was a Skip-Button FJ (i.e., I hit the skip button on the DVR as soon as I read the clue to get to the reveal).

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Fri May 10, 2013 10:28 pm

alietr wrote:Skip-Button FJ (i.e., I hit the skip button on the DVR as soon as I read the clue to get to the reveal).
IMHO, this needs to go into the lexicon with Slam's rule et al. 8-)

Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron » Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Hmm...I thought that Lindbergh was in the 1930s but he was the only one that I could think of, so I went with him. I think this is my first 5/5 week ever. xD

EDIT: Also, I was really happy for the Artist's Mother category showing up. This winter break I had decided to confront art - one of my worst categories - and just went over prominent artists and the works. Led me to clean-sweeping the category today. So tldr, practice pays off. 8-)

Meanwhile, love the Survivor Caramoan reference. Still sad Brenda got backstabbed.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri May 10, 2013 10:44 pm

J! have a new rule that when each contestant guesses wrong, everything resets and they can take a second guess. Alex and I were amused by the guesses for the knot and I wanted to hear more.

Gooseneck lamp had me adjusting an imaginary one in mid air to recall the name in time.

Geography is not strong for me. For the River Run DD I did Brownsville = Texas. Texas river? Rio Grande. Mary Cassatt and Crime & Punishment were hit correctly by the students as they should be.

The FJ category had me thinking Fulton or Sikorsky. I felt cars were out with the previous clue on tires. Naming a famous thing I did not anticipate. Switching gears to 1927 = Earhart = Spirit of St. Louis was easy. Just kidding, I know it was Douglas Corrigan. It would have been worse for Laura if she had known Lindbergh and not his plane.

For another way off wrong guess I could see someone going with Spruce Goose.

I was of course rooting for Laura since she got the Survivor clue while also wishing that at least one of you who made the negative posts this week about the show didn't get it even with it being a first box clue. Sunday night 8-11 the phone and computer are off while watching the 26th season finale. Yes, that is a 2 and a 6.

It's too bad Laura did not make the semis as she had a strong showing against Nishanth who seems to be one of the elite of the field.