for Survivor talk

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by harrumph »

BTW I don't think Spencer's speech had an effect on the jury, I think they had openly discussed the whole matter at Ponderosa and came to a group decision beforehand.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

S31 tomorrow with all returning non-winning players.

Bayon
Joe Anglim (I would target him early)
Jeremy Collins
Ciera Eastin (I can't wait to see how she plays with a season's worth of experience.)
Stephen Fishbach
Tasha Fox (great effort first time she played)
Kimmi Kappenberg (fingers crossed she goes early after ruining S2)
Kass McQuillen (Big bullseye on the queen of villains - she won me over although it took almost her whole season)
Keith Nale (Easy early target on the old man or he's under the radar for a long time? - not sure how it will go)
Monica Padila
Andrew Savage (How many times will Probst call him "Savage" in the premiere?)

Ta Keo
Vytas Baskauskas (very likeable - hope he picks a good alliance)
Spencer Bledsoe (Came close first time considering a bad draw & position)
Terry Deitz
Abi-Maria Gomes (Princess of the villains - she can't come off any worse than first time playing)
Woo Hwang (Finals again? We'll See.)
Peih-Gee Law (This time she has to have a better outcome)
Shirin Oskooi (Can the superfan play better this time and stay sane?)
Jeff Varner (Please last longer than Kimmie and have a hand in her leaving even with starting on different tribes)
Kelley Wentworth
Kelly Wiglesworth (I am looking forward to seeing what kind of game she plays as the S1 representative.)

In reading through some of the prior comments it reminded me that I cannot recall a post from lieph in a while. Any story there we know about with that one.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Big fan of the show since Season 8.
But I haven't seen a single episode since the Fall 2013 season ended, due to the household member who dictates the TV hates Survivor. Besides, it's no fun watching it by yourself in the presence of people who hate it. That, and my hand-me-down laptop bit the dust in March 2014. I just haven't had the time blocks required to watch it online elsewhere.

Anyway....
Just reading through the roster, I only recognise about 8-9 names.
Kimmi Kappenberg (fingers crossed she goes early after ruining S2)
Yuck. Inviting her back, as well as the themes of the last several seasons demonstrates the show's difficulty of getting fresh faces in recent years.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I kinda miss Mark giving the Survivor cast the gold-silver-bronze treatment.

Just for the record, on tonight's BB finale I hope Vanessa gets her ass handed to her.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I'm glad to see this thread! I am a huge Survivor fan and self-proclaimed Survivor genius. I know pretty much everything about every single season.

My top favorites going in are Jeff, Kelly 1, Tasha, and Stephen. I am so glad that the first two I mentioned are finally coming back. Kelly, the second placer on the first ever season is finally back after 15 years. Wow. I hope she doesn't disappoint.

People I am not glad to see back are Kimmi, Kelley 2, and Keith. Kimmi brought nothing of value to the show her first time (except complaining about meat since she's a vegetarian, and inadvertently screwing up Jeff's game), so I think she's a poor choice. Kelley 2 is completely unmemorable and she was also an early boot the first time around. Another waste. Keith was okay but he's made some comments in his season I was not too fond of. But knowing how America votes on these reality shows (almost always in favor of the white country boy), his entry was no surprise.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am glad to see Terry and Andrew back. It's pretty bad that Rupert played 4 times, Coach played 3, and Colton played 2 before they got their second chances.

I definitely would have rather seen Shane back over Woo or Keith, but overall it's a good cast.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

StevenH wrote:I am glad to see Terry and Andrew back. It's pretty bad that Rupert played 4 times, Coach played 3, and Colton played 2 before they got their second chances.

I definitely would have rather seen Shane back over Woo or Keith, but overall it's a good cast.
Shane and Troyzan absolutely should have come back. Those two were the biggest losses, imo. I agree with you.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

StevenH wrote:I am glad to see Terry and Andrew back. It's pretty bad that Rupert played 4 times, Coach played 3, and Colton played 2 before they got their second chances
Add Boston Rob, Ciri and Russell to that list.
I can understand Russell being called back the first time, but once the world knew about his game play, he couldn't be expected to go very far in a third game.
JayK33 wrote: Shane and Troyzan absolutely should have come back. Those two were the biggest losses, imo.
If you are refering to the Shane who has the son named Boston, I don't believe he would accept an invitation to come back. He was really strung out from emotional stress and nicotine withdrawl in his game.

Troyzan was the bomb. One of my top 3 favorite players ever.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Category 13 wrote:
StevenH wrote:I am glad to see Terry and Andrew back. It's pretty bad that Rupert played 4 times, Coach played 3, and Colton played 2 before they got their second chances
Add Boston Rob, Ciri and Russell to that list.
I can understand Russell being called back the first time, but once the world knew about his game play, he couldn't be expected to go very far in a third game.
JayK33 wrote: Shane and Troyzan absolutely should have come back. Those two were the biggest losses, imo.
If you are refering to the Shane who has the son named Boston, I don't believe he would accept an invitation to come back. He was really strung out from emotional stress and nicotine withdrawl in his game.

Troyzan was the bomb. One of my top 3 favorite players ever.
Shane was a part of the poll and he was present during the reunion, so he very much was interested in playing again. He just didn't get enough votes, unfortunately. I am friends with him on Facebook and I know that this isn't the first time he wanted to play again, and it's not the first time he came so close to coming back but was cut at the last minute. He was the alternate for Heroes vs Villains, too, before being replaced by Tyson, I think.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I never watch Survivor but I just learned today that Terry Deitz is an alumnus of the school where I teach. (He graduated a long time ago, but some of the teachers still remember him when he was a student.) Hopefully his Navy SEAL training will allow him to "outlast" everyone this time. Maybe I should start watching....
Hoping for a third lap
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Last night was Super Tuesday. Tonight's tribal council was Super Wednesday.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I've let the thread sleep more than 2.5 years. Tonight it's worth a bump since Johnblue mentioned he was going to watch:

Spoiler for the 10/17 tribal council cued to my favorite moment:
Spoiler
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I haven't seen any of this season yet. The last season I watched in full was HvHvH. What did you all think of that Final Four twist they added for that season? It basically helped the season's eventual winner (unfairly) win and I wasn't a fan of it.
clprez

Post by clprez »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 am I haven't seen any of this season yet. The last season I watched in full was HvHvH. What did you all think of that Final Four twist they added for that season? It basically helped the season's eventual winner (unfairly) win and I wasn't a fan of it.
I wasn't a fan of it either. My biggest complaint was that it was such a huge change that was just dropped on them at the last minute. They did it again last season, and this time everybody knew about it ahead of time so they were able to strategize with that in mind.

Now am kind of liking the change now. However, I think they should make the final time that you can use your immunity idol one week earlier because of it.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

IN DEPTH SURVIVOR ANALYSIS!!!!

Given the editorial slant towards the David tribe, when the tribes split into three, each with a Goliath majority, it seemed likely that one of the Goliaths was going to flip. Obnoxious Natalie's team was the obvious candidate as her tribemate screenwriter dude had already felt on the outs with the original Goliath tribe, and none of the other original Goliaths on the other tribes had a reason to feel insecure. So when bitchy Natalia's tribe lost immunity (is that the TIVO tribe?) all of a sudden bartender dude thinks it's the F4 and upends the tribe. I'll give the producers a mild bit of credit as they devised an immunity challenge with a significant reward attached to it so they were less likely to throw the challenge, but jeez the original Goliaths on the tribe that won the reward should have considered the big picture and thrown the damn thing for it turns out that they were the only tribe certain to send an original David home.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The most disappointing part of the reunion show was (no results spoiler):
Spoiler
No ceremonial burning of Angelina's pants.
The four returning players for next season:
Spoiler
Aubry Bracco, Joe Anglim, David Wright, & Kelley Wentworth with David playing for the second time compared to the other three trying third time's the charm.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Spoiler
David and Aubry are the two of those four I am looking forward to seeing again the most. The other two I don't care about.
Spoiler
Nick was the expected winner for a long time, for me, but I'm glad Mike made it that far. Pre-season I didn't think he would.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Spoiler
Glad to see Mike made the final 3. I've enjoyed his work and he and his father were an entertaining pair on The Amazing Race.

I wish we could have ever had some reason why Nick was so dead-set on getting Alison out. I never got any sense she was any sort of threat to win (although that may have just been because of her lack of screen time).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

My take away points.

1. The jury was compassionate in a really good and unusual way. Most non-bitter juries are boring, but this one was compelling just in the way that they paid attention to the finalists.

2. No Angelina if a guy acted like you he would also be clueless.

3. No Natalie your fellow contestants were sick of you and wanted you gone not for strategic reasons but for their own mental health.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Great to see this thread! I’m glad Nick won since Mike showed himself to be such an asshole in the TC with Alison. Angie had no chance to win. I’m not looking forward to a season with 4 vets. I’d rather see all vets or all new people. I’m not sure why they bother with the reunion anymore. I’d rather see an extra episode wherein #6 departs & then have the finale on Sunday night before Christmas. Natalie might be nutty but she looked good last night. Two of the cast were banned from the reunion.