for Survivor talk

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by harrumph » Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm


User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by Rex Kramer » Fri May 02, 2014 1:18 pm

harrumph wrote:I just made an audition video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxAmoj- ... 3QvUTajG0Q
You and I have different definitions of the term "puzzle demon". :)

Well done. I'd watch you.

Rex

User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by harrumph » Fri May 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks... it will be a longshot to even get an interview, but the video was worth making just for the fun of it.

User avatar
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by jkbrat » Fri May 02, 2014 2:57 pm

harrumph wrote:I just made an audition video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxAmoj- ... 3QvUTajG0Q
Great video - I hope it gets you on the show!

The Boss: "Well, I'm a working man who's never had a job.." :lol:

If it wasn't for the whole sleep-deprivation, food-deprivation, eating-bugs, mean-and/or-stupid-people and lack-of-adequate-handwashing-facilities thing, I'd apply to go on Survivor in a minute!!
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago

User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by harrumph » Fri May 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Point well taken, I'm in denial!

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by BobF » Fri May 02, 2014 3:05 pm

jkbrat wrote:
harrumph wrote:I just made an audition video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxAmoj- ... 3QvUTajG0Q
Great video - I hope it gets you on the show!

The Boss: "Well, I'm a working man who's never had a job.." :lol:

If it wasn't for the whole sleep-deprivation, food-deprivation, eating-bugs, mean-and/or-stupid-people and lack-of-adequate-handwashing-facilities thing, I'd apply to go on Survivor in a minute!!
Then for 39 days, we could go around here saying "Hey, where's jkbrat"?

(A little play on your photo)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by jkbrat » Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 pm

BobF wrote:
jkbrat wrote:
harrumph wrote:I just made an audition video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxAmoj- ... 3QvUTajG0Q
Great video - I hope it gets you on the show!

The Boss: "Well, I'm a working man who's never had a job.." :lol:

If it wasn't for the whole sleep-deprivation, food-deprivation, eating-bugs, mean-and/or-stupid-people and lack-of-adequate-handwashing-facilities thing, I'd apply to go on Survivor in a minute!!
Then for 39 days, we could go around here saying "Hey, where's jkbrat"?

(A little play on your photo)
39 days away from JBoard -- are you kidding?? Not for a million .... #ohwait
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago

User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY
Contact:

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by Paucle » Wed May 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Any boardies looking forward to next Wednesday's Survivor finale?

This season has been ok, but
SpoilerShow
I'll be cheesed if Tony wins. I can't believe the other players haven't seen through his BS all this time. Not to mention, he doesn't even seem to be very smart. Tonight he totally wasted one of his two immunity idols. Why didn't he use it to protect Trish, just to be sure? Only the "special powers" idol is non-transferable. Now his ally is gone.
Spencer is my choice.

User avatar
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 am

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by lieph82 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Paucle wrote:Any boardies looking forward to next Wednesday's Survivor finale?

This season has been ok, but
SpoilerShow
I'll be cheesed if Tony wins. I can't believe the other players haven't seen through his BS all this time. Not to mention, he doesn't even seem to be very smart. Tonight he totally wasted one of his two immunity idols. Why didn't he use it to protect Trish, just to be sure? Only the "special powers" idol is non-transferable. Now his ally is gone.
Spencer is my choice.
SpoilerShow
I'm rooting for Spencer as well but he will need to win immunity to have a shot.

Do you mean Tony should have used the idol on Kass? He voted for Trish, so why would he want to protect her? I don't think Tony saw much of a difference between sitting next to Kass and Trish at the end--he saw Trish as having done nothing (which I disagree with) and Kass as being hated. I don't think he cared much who went home.

Obviously, we know playing the idol was pointless because he has the special idol, and he knows playing the idol was pointless because he has the special idol, but playing it allowed him to keep up the mystery of what his special idol does and when it can be used. If the special idol's powers were "this idol can be used in the final 4 and it's nontransferrable," everybody would expect him to use his ordinary idol in the final 5, just to be safe. So I think the move was keeping up appearances so that he can continue to lie about the nature of his special idol. Or I'm reading too much into the actions of someone who is a little unstable.

User avatar
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm
Location: Miami

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by naurae29 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:51 pm

lieph82 wrote:
Paucle wrote:Any boardies looking forward to next Wednesday's Survivor finale?

This season has been ok, but
SpoilerShow
I'll be cheesed if Tony wins. I can't believe the other players haven't seen through his BS all this time. Not to mention, he doesn't even seem to be very smart. Tonight he totally wasted one of his two immunity idols. Why didn't he use it to protect Trish, just to be sure? Only the "special powers" idol is non-transferable. Now his ally is gone.
Spencer is my choice.
SpoilerShow
I'm rooting for Spencer as well but he will need to win immunity to have a shot.

Do you mean Tony should have used the idol on Kass? He voted for Trish, so why would he want to protect her? I don't think Tony saw much of a difference between sitting next to Kass and Trish at the end--he saw Trish as having done nothing (which I disagree with) and Kass as being hated. I don't think he cared much who went home.
SpoilerShow
I despise Tony, but if he gets to the final against anyone other than Spencer, I'll be upset if he doesn't win the jury vote. He has made strategic moves rather than gut-based ones (see Kass). He has not ridden on anyone else's coattails. And he pursued the idols. The fact that he enjoys manipulating people shouldn't be a factor in the jury vote, and I hope Kass is wrong to assume a jury wouldn't give him the money. Just as Russell should have won Samoa, Tony should win Cagayan because no one has played the game better. UNLESS he's up against Spencer. Spencer (whom I adore) has played a spectacular game despite being apparently doomed from the day 6. He's had to fight to survive since Garrett got voted off, and has consistently shown that he's a thoughtful, diplomatic player. At tribal, he plays to the jury beautifully.

P.S. I was very surprised that Tony voted for Trish. Any idea what the hell that was about? There was no mention of it until they played the votes at the end!

User avatar
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 am

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by lieph82 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:07 am

naurae29 wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
Paucle wrote:Any boardies looking forward to next Wednesday's Survivor finale?

This season has been ok, but
SpoilerShow
I'll be cheesed if Tony wins. I can't believe the other players haven't seen through his BS all this time. Not to mention, he doesn't even seem to be very smart. Tonight he totally wasted one of his two immunity idols. Why didn't he use it to protect Trish, just to be sure? Only the "special powers" idol is non-transferable. Now his ally is gone.
Spencer is my choice.
SpoilerShow
I'm rooting for Spencer as well but he will need to win immunity to have a shot.

Do you mean Tony should have used the idol on Kass? He voted for Trish, so why would he want to protect her? I don't think Tony saw much of a difference between sitting next to Kass and Trish at the end--he saw Trish as having done nothing (which I disagree with) and Kass as being hated. I don't think he cared much who went home.
SpoilerShow
I despise Tony, but if he gets to the final against anyone other than Spencer, I'll be upset if he doesn't win the jury vote. He has made strategic moves rather than gut-based ones (see Kass). He has not ridden on anyone else's coattails. And he pursued the idols. The fact that he enjoys manipulating people shouldn't be a factor in the jury vote, and I hope Kass is wrong to assume a jury wouldn't give him the money. Just as Russell should have won Samoa, Tony should win Cagayan because no one has played the game better. UNLESS he's up against Spencer. Spencer (whom I adore) has played a spectacular game despite being apparently doomed from the day 6. He's had to fight to survive since Garrett got voted off, and has consistently shown that he's a thoughtful, diplomatic player. At tribal, he plays to the jury beautifully.

P.S. I was very surprised that Tony voted for Trish. Any idea what the hell that was about? There was no mention of it until they played the votes at the end!
SpoilerShow
The editing got me there too, but getting rid of Kass, the obvious finals goat, would have made no sense for ANYONE.

I appreciate the strategic elements of Tony's game, and the enthusiasm he brings to it, but I think he's motivated by paranoia, instability, and his ego more than anyone in this game save Kass. Without the idols, I think he would've been toast weeks ago, but of course I have to give him credit for finding them.

With the finale starting with 4 players, this could be our first final 2 in years, which I'd enjoy very much.

UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by UniquePerspective » Thu May 15, 2014 7:35 am

SpoilerShow
RE Getting rid of Trish: Other than Spencer, in my opinion Trish was the biggest threat to win. Perhaps Tony realized this and decided to make a move, and as you said #KhaosKass will probably win in very few scenarios.

User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by harrumph » Fri May 23, 2014 3:47 am

It was suboptimal for Woo to take Tony to the final over Kass.

User avatar
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting
Posts: 716
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by MDaunt » Fri May 23, 2014 4:00 am

harrumph wrote:It was suboptimal for Woo to take Tony to the final over Kass.
Understatement.

User avatar
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: near Albany NY
Contact:

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by Paucle » Fri May 23, 2014 9:29 am

This is like the third time someone has lost the million because they took who they thought was the more deserving player to the final instead of the one they thought they could beat.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8571
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri May 23, 2014 11:07 am

Kass had me laughing when Jeff said she lost the final immunity challenge by less than a second and she had to correct him that he actually said it was a half a second.

There is a stack of negatives about her the whole season, but she was a great villain along with Tony. Credit to her for the comeback on the water pour/key/puzzle challenge and for just missing out to Woo on the maze one. If Woo had not figured out the gears in time I wonder if Kass would have taken Tony or Woo to the finals?

I think she would have taken Tony, so Woo was looking at 85K in that case. Woo taking Tony when he had the choice was obviously throwing 900K away for honor and loyalty. Colby did it in season 2, so it's been done before.

The final two this season was an adjustment because of quitter Lindsey messing up the numbers.

The jury vote was the right one. Tony could have been bounced 3-1 at the four, but his useless special idol still had powers.

At the reunion that was interesting to see it was Tyler Perry's idea for the special idol.

Next season is Blood v. Water 2 with redemption island returning. The change is no returning players this time. All newbies with pairings split between tribes.

User avatar
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 am

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by lieph82 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:56 am

MDaunt wrote:
harrumph wrote:It was suboptimal for Woo to take Tony to the final over Kass.
Understatement.
If your sole goal is winning the game, yes. It's hard to judge someone who's operating with a different value system than my (and probably your) own.

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2150
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by StevenH » Fri May 23, 2014 12:46 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:If Woo had not figured out the gears in time I wonder if Kass would have taken Tony or Woo to the finals?

I think she would have taken Tony, so Woo was looking at 85K in that case. Woo taking Tony when he had the choice was obviously throwing 900K away for honor and loyalty. Colby did it in season 2, so it's been done before.
Um, Kass sounded pretty adamant that she would take Woo to the finals if she won the last immunity, since Woo would likely be seen as a floater. I could be wrong but she sounded pretty convinced that she couldn't beat Tony.

Based on past trends, Woo taking Tony wasn't as crazy as it looked. Look at what happened to Russell in Samoa, Russell and Parvati in H v. V, and Boston Rob in All Stars. The jury members seemed pissed at Tony at the final tribal council. I have to wonder if Spencer's speech made them realize that they didn't want to crown another Natalie White or Sandra (the second time she played). Kass seemed universally disliked, though, so it still would have been better to take Kass.

User avatar
harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by harrumph » Fri May 23, 2014 1:24 pm

If would be interesting if the real reason for the F2 was quitter Lindsey throwing the numbers off, I hadn't seen that speculation before.

It's hard us as viewers to get an accurate read on a show that is not only heavily edited for narrative purposes but at times slanted to create the equivalent of disinformation about how contestants are viewed by others.

Obviously not every jury is the same, but perhaps juries in general are forgiving of cutthroat gameplay as long as the person isn't nasty about it. By all accounts Russell Hantz wasn't even vaguely likable and thus his superior gameplay led to jury nullification. Tony's behavior inspired a bitter jury but that Tony wasn't personally vindictive to their faces left him short of the tipping point for jury nullification. Look at how the jury hated Kass, who was openly confrontational and insulting.

And obviously it helped Tony that his opponent Woo was a quintessential milquetoast.

User avatar
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 am

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by lieph82 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:24 pm

StevenH wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:If Woo had not figured out the gears in time I wonder if Kass would have taken Tony or Woo to the finals?

I think she would have taken Tony, so Woo was looking at 85K in that case. Woo taking Tony when he had the choice was obviously throwing 900K away for honor and loyalty. Colby did it in season 2, so it's been done before.
Um, Kass sounded pretty adamant that she would take Woo to the finals if she won the last immunity, since Woo would likely be seen as a floater. I could be wrong but she sounded pretty convinced that she couldn't beat Tony.

Based on past trends, Woo taking Tony wasn't as crazy as it looked. Look at what happened to Russell in Samoa, Russell and Parvati in H v. V, and Boston Rob in All Stars. The jury members seemed pissed at Tony at the final tribal council. I have to wonder if Spencer's speech made them realize that they didn't want to crown another Natalie White or Sandra (the second time she played). Kass seemed universally disliked, though, so it still would have been better to take Kass.
I doubt Spencer's speech swayed any votes. The jury was just looking to take their last and only chance to lay into the obvious winner--remember how harsh the jury was on Tyson last season, despite the fact that there was 0 chance he wasn't going to get their votes.

The difference between Woo and other "floater" winners is that Woo didn't have one strategic move to hang his hat on. When you have someone hated up against a floater, all it takes is one teeny weeny piece of strategic justification to vote for the floater. The jury is LOOKING for a reason not to vote for the asshole. Natalie White had the Eric vote-off on her resume. Sandra 2.0 had her lobbying against Russell that only didn't work because of the Heroes' stubbornly blind faith on her resume. Fabio had three individual immunities and the correct final vote-off on his resume. Woo had nothing. The jury would have needed to switch value systems entirely from voting for "best player" to voting for "best person" in order to vote for Woo, and that's too drastic of a shift to expect from any jury.

I think the exception to this is All-Stars; the majority of the jury was an entirely different level of bitter, something I hope we'll never see again.

Harrumph, Probst has said in interviews that Lindsey's quitting was the reason for the F2.

Post Reply