TOC Players Who Have Died

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TOC Players Who Have Died

Post by MarkBarrett »

With Ric Moser recently joining the board I took a look at my page for the first TOC to see how his games went since it had been a while since I looked at it. In looking at that TOC it reminded me that Bruce Fauman and Jerry Frankel (two of the finalists had since died).

There have been other reports of contestants from TOCs no longer with us:

Mark Brown
Bruce Cox
Kirk Ditzler
Jerry Frankel
Bruce Fauman
Lionel Goldbart
Richard Kaplan
Peggy Kennedy
Larry McKnight
Bob Mesko
Bruce Naegeli
Jay Rosenberg
Chris Shea
George Soule
Bart Thomas
Jim Vercolen

Occasionally someone sees an article or obit and I would like one place to have the posts instead of scattered throughout Reretaken Down or elsewhere. I'm not trying to be morbid of offensive, but I like seeing the tributes, memories and caring remarks such notices can generate.

[Edit to add to the list and remove Zeke Sevilla Jr.]
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: TOC Players Who Have Died

Post by Paucle »

MarkBarrett wrote: I'm not trying to be morbid [or] offensive
I don't think it's either of those. It's a great idea.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jay Rosenberg (#2 5xer in the 1986 ToC) is another.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Richard Kaplan, maybe?

Also, I had no idea that Bruce Naegeli had passed since he played in the UToC. May he RIP.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

RIchard Kaplan I think was reported dead(back on the old SOny J! board), and I didn't know Larry M. was dead.
legendneverdies

Frank Dillon was in the first Seniors tournament in 1987 and also has passed away. He was on Joker's Wild in the 70s on CBS, and won a TofC on that show in 1977 and 1978 and lost in 1979 because he spun a three of a kind spin in the final game of the TofC finals when he needed a pair or better to tie or win. He was then offered a chance to work on Joker but declined.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This page mentions Richard Kaplan. (It's the Wayback Machine version of a page linked in J! Archive, but I made the correction suggestion that got that link put there in the first place!) http://web.archive.org/web/200903281214 ... Homage.htm
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

legendneverdies wrote:Frank Dillon was in the first Seniors tournament in 1987 and also has passed away. He was on Joker's Wild in the 70s on CBS, and won a TofC on that show in 1977 and 1978 and lost in 1979 because he spun a three of a kind spin in the final game of the TofC finals when he needed a pair or better to tie or win. He was then offered a chance to work on Joker but declined.
Was he the guy on Joker that gave all his winnings to cancer research?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

legendneverdies wrote: lost in 1979 because he spun a three of a kind spin in the final game of the TofC finals when he needed a pair or better to tie or win.
I'm not parsing this at all. So on that game, three of a kind was not better than a pair?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
legendneverdies wrote: lost in 1979 because he spun a three of a kind spin in the final game of the TofC finals when he needed a pair or better to tie or win.
I'm not parsing this at all. So on that game, three of a kind was not better than a pair?
I wondered the same thing.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Unless he needed a Fast Forward, a triple would be worth more.
jeopardyfan87
Valued Contributor

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Seeing the 1992 Tournament of Champions is one of the tournaments I have always been extremely interested in watching in its entirety....of which I haven't as of yet (all I've seen is the two-game finals); I google the names of the participants to see if I can find more information about them.

One participant from that tournament who I was trying to find out more information about, Kirk Ditzler, I searched for him only to discover he passed away of cancer back in August of 1998.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Now I have that Jim Carroll song running through my head.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rex Kramer wrote:Now I have that Jim Carroll song running through my head.
Welcome to the club.
legendneverdies

bpmod wrote:
Paucle wrote:
I wondered the same thing.

Brian
I meant to say three different categories with no jokers. The Fast Forward category didn't appear in every game, and IIRC wasn't used in tourneys.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On a lark I did a search for Lou Pryor. I got one of those sites where you can pay to find out more info about a person. It gave me a hit on a Lou Pryor who is 79 and gave his home town as the same one from when he was on the show. It also gave the name of a law firm as a former employer. (He was an attorney). I looked up the firm, but it did not list him as being associated with them and he was not one of the name partners. I tried looking up lawyers in Connecticut but could not find him.

Not concrete evidence, but it looks like he is one Senior champ still among the living.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Interesting timing of this thread.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Rex Kramer wrote:Now I have that Jim Carroll song running through my head.
I've argued that, if they really wanted to change the formula for the Oscars telecast, they'd roll out that song during the In Memorian segment. The Way We Were? Please.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

ahirbhairav wrote: Mark Barrett wrote this in the "Calling ToC players of 2003" thread. If they asked you to contribute to a suicide prevention coalition, obviously he committed suicide.
How sure can we be? My suggestion is that you track down multiple members of his family and ask them in person. (This is important.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Austin Powers wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote: Mark Barrett wrote this in the "Calling ToC players of 2003" thread. If they asked you to contribute to a suicide prevention coalition, obviously he committed suicide.
How sure can we be? My suggestion is that you track down multiple members of his family and ask them in person. (This is important.)
I say we put mbclev on this assignment. While he's asking them about Mark's alleged suicide, he can ask them what he was thinking with his wager against Brian Weikle in the 2003 TOC.

I apologize in advance to anyone I may have offended with this remark. To anyone who's ever had a loved one make a suicidal wager, or commit an actual suicide, I'm deeply sorry for your loss and mean no disrespect.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.