FJs for the 5/13/13 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 5/13/13 week?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 pm

When Curiosity touched down on Mars in 2012, its landing site was named in honor of this author who died weeks before
70%
Because Internet censors block mentions of this 1989 date, Chinese bloggers write it as "535"
34%
After moving to Argentina in 1949, this industrialist was named a righteous gentile by Yad Vashem
65%
These 2 men followed each other consecutively as Vice President & later, in reverse order, as President
74%
The last of the 11 southern states to secede from the Union, it borders 6 of them
78%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
13%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ clues.
2%
MUSIC OF TODAY $800: The singer of "Locked Out of Heaven" chose this stage name partly because "people say I'm out of this world"
32%
FAMOUS FIRSTS $600: The first U.S. law school at a college was established at this Virginia school in 1779
78%
POEMS IN VIDEO GAMES $400: "The Book Of The Blind" gives rhyming tips on how to survive a level in this game, Spanish for "devil"
94%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ clue was Arthur C. Clarke.
7%

Total votes: 99

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 5/13/13 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS IN THE NEWS

5/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When Curiosity touched down on Mars in 2012, its landing site was named in honor of this author who died weeks before

5/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MODERN-DAY CHINA

5/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Because Internet censors block mentions of this 1989 date, Chinese bloggers write it as "535"

5/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS EUROPEANS

5/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After moving to Argentina in 1949, this industrialist was named a righteous gentile by Yad Vashem

5/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PRESIDENTS

5/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 men followed each other consecutively as Vice President & later, in reverse order, as President

5/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CIVIL WAR

5/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last of the 11 southern states to secede from the Union, it borders 6 of them

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Ray Bradbury
June 4
Oskar Schindler
Richard Nixon and LBJ
Tennessee
The players were 4/15 (26.67%) with a 1-0-2-0-1 success pattern.

Each of the finalists had a correct response in the extra clues.

MUSIC OF TODAY $800: The singer of "Locked Out of Heaven" chose this stage name partly because "people say I'm out of this world"

FAMOUS FIRSTS $600: The first U.S. law school at a college was established at this Virginia school in 1779

POEMS IN VIDEO GAMES $400: "The Book Of The Blind" gives rhyming tips on how to survive a level in this game, Spanish for "devil"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Bruno Mars
William & Mary
Diablo
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 5/13/13 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

5/10 on FJs for the College Championship.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The contestants were 11/30 on FJ for the tournament; do we know of a College Championship with a lower get rate?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Writing "June 5th" on Tuesday cost me a perfect 5/5 FJ week.

It didn't occur to me to parse "five three five" as "five thirty-five", and it didn't occur to me that it could be read as "fifth month, thirty-fifth day".

In fact, I knew the Tiananmen Square incident happened in early June, around the 4th or the 5th.

Ironically, if I had known less information about when Tiananmen happened, possibly my brain would have been more likely to interpret one of the 5s as referring to May.

All in all, though, I was pleased with my performance on this week's FJs. I don't think I literally knew any of them, but I managed to do an okay job of figuring them out on the spot.

On Monday, I started writing "Who is Arthur C." when Ray Bradbury and the Martian Chronicles suddenly occurred to me.

I haven't actually seen Schindler's list, and didn't know he moved to Argentina, and also didn't know who or what Yad Vesham is, but the key word for me was "industrialist". A European industrialist who wasn't Jewish but did a good deed for the Jews? Got it.

Thursday's puzzled me for the first two seconds, but then I thought, "Okay, who was both president and vice president where there was something odd about the timing?" Luckily that brought Nixon to mind, and then I noticed how LBJ fits between VP Nixon and President Nixon.

I didn't know Friday's with certainty, but I named a former Confederate state that stretches far from west to east and borders a relatively large number of Southern states.

The extras:

I've heard the name Bruno Mars, but know absolutely nothing about him, so I had no chance there.

I was leaning William & Mary on the early Virginia law school one, but was perhaps overly cautious and remained clam, because I also thought the University of Virginia was pretty old.

I'm only dimly aware of the existence of a video game called "Diablo", but I know what the Spanish word for "devil" is.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monday: Instant get.
Tuesday: Should have been easy but I really had no idea how to approach that clue.
Wednesday: I hate to admit it but I really knew nothing about Schindler's life. I figured this one had to be a German who was famously associated with WWII, but I had no idea which one.
Thursday: I was confused by this one at first, but remembering that Nixon didn't serve as President immediately after he served as Vice President got me to him and LBJ.
Friday: I made a lucky guess, but this was an awful clue.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Clarke.
No guess at all Tuesday or Wednesday, but I got both from Alex's comments on the clue after time was up. I thought of the May 35th meaning of 535 but dismissed it as nonsense (but something about the way Alex said it clicked). As for Schindler, I only thought of Nazis fleeing to Argentina, which, no.
I've heard the name Bruno Mars, but couldn't tell you the first thing about him.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I knew who they wanted on the Schindler clue but went into EVP (extreme vapor lock).
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D

Pretty much WAGged June 4.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For the season:
FJ: 94-81
Teacher's 6-4
Teen 8-2
TOC: 3-7
College: 8-2
Longest FJ winning streak: 7 (active 3)
Longest FJ losing streak: 6
5/5:1
4/5:9
3/5:9
2/5:10
1/5:6
0/5:0

M:Jules Verne had been used in the game, so I was stuck on him for a bit. Then I spent time trying to remember Bradbury's name and got it in time.

T:I knew right away what they were going for. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite figure out the "code" being used. I went with May 5, but I kind of figured it out at the end, but not enough time to finish it off.

W: Like the girl in the game, started thinking of Nazis, but did get Schindler at the last second.

T: It took a bit to figure out the clue, but got it in time.

F: See Thursday.

No chance on Bruno Mars, heard of him but that's about it. Diablo I got from "Spanish for devil" and not the game. Bill and Mary was an instaget.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

No guess Mon-Thur, instaget Friday.

Got Bruno Mars thanks to Todd in the Shadows, got "Diablo" thanks to four years of HS Spanish. Had William & Mary in mind, but clammed.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Whoa, cool.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

M: Mars + author -> Bradbury
T: SES -> The Road to Nowhere
W: Industrialist + Gentile honored by Jews -> Schindler
Th: Had 30 seconds but needed 90, so it was a pause-get. I really need to learn a reverse-chronological presidents song :roll: .
F: A guess, knowing that TN bordered a lot of other states (without knowing precisely how many).

NHO that Bruno Mars song (though I have others), but had heard the stage name backstory before (seems like it was in a Parade-Magazine-type celeblurb).
Diablo from Spanish, not video game.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Mars + writter = Bradbury, at least to me.
Tuesday's was a no-go; went on a wrong tangent (event vs. date), but it still wouldn't have mattered.
Wednesday was an educated guess, and the other two were fairly straightforward, though not instagets.

Bruno didn't connect; the other two were things I knew outright.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:

My only real disappointment on the FJs was Thursday. I thought of Nixon and Kennedy immediately, then realized I was wrong, but didn't have time to come up with LBJ. I blame the 22 oz. bottle of strong IPA I drank before the show :) I thought it was a pretty tough week, actually. Nothing super difficult, but none were anywhere close to being gimmes, either. I think the players' success rate bears this out.

My wife blurted out "Bruno Mars" immediately, so not sure I would have missed that one, but I doubt I would have come up with it in time.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I was lost on the date clue; even tried reading the number (535) as letters (SES) but went nowhere. I WAGged December 31.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Clarke

Not feeling loquacious.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

:( :( :D :D :(
:D :D :D

Bradbury never came to mind, just a hole in my knowledge. I couldn't parse the 535, though I knew the event they were talking about. And I eventually got to Tennessee, but with only three seconds left I wouldn't have crossed out Kentucky in time.

Schindler and Nixon-Johnson were those that took a little to figure out but eventually came to mind.

Thanks MB for the Bruno bonus (I'm curious how the others rank if the most famous name on the list is pulling 1/3), those three were all wheelhousey for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fishercat wrote:
Thanks MB for the Bruno bonus (I'm curious how the others rank if the most famous name on the list is pulling 1/3), those three were all wheelhousey for me.
YW - I'm always happy to honor reasonable requests.

I was 0/5 in MUSIC OF TODAY from the Thursday game

Jessie J - "Price Tag" I would have known and would have taken hours to get it out of my head - Naturally after the J! game she was on the Idol finale
Bruno Mars - If it had been a photo of him I could have got it
The Killers - I have several of their CDs, but I didn't recognize them from the clip played
"Lonely Boy" by The Black Keys - Not gonna happen, but I have heard of the group
Ellie Goulding - Uh, yeah, good for her
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

MarkBarrett wrote:I was 0/5 in MUSIC OF TODAY from the Thursday game
That. Anything much after the mid 90s and I'm toast. Before that, it's almost a wheelhouse.