Calling All TOCers Class of 2010

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Calling All TOCers Class of 2010

Post by MarkBarrett »

I sorted this group by TOC outcome with a first instinct for ordering those who did not make it out of the semis/quarters.

Vijay Balse (4 wins) $82,400 (finals winner)
Jason Zollinger (6) $148,404 (finals 2nd)
Stefan Goodreau (5) $84,870 (finals 3rd)
Liz Murphy (5) $121,302 (semis)
Terry Linwood (5) $122,705 (semis)
Justin Bernbach (7) $155,001 (semis)
Dave Belote (5) $134,801 (semis)
Andy Srinivasan (4) $69,600 (semis)
Nick Yozamp (C) $100,000 (semis)
Stephen Weingarten (4) $96,690 (quarters)
Regina Robbins (4) $90,700 (quarters)
Christine Valada (4) $68,703 (quarters)
Ryan Chaffee (4) $91,900 (quarters)
Patrick Tucker (C) $100,000 (quarters)
Joey Beachum (C) $100,000 (quarters)

Gold chances for the 45: None

Silver chances for the 45: Vijay Balse, Jason Zollinger, Stefan Goodreau, Liz Murphy, Justin Bernbach

Bronze chances for the 45: Terry Linwood, Regina Robbins

Copper chances for the 45: Dave Belote, Christine Valada

Tin chances for the 45: Joey Beachum, Patrick Tucker, Nick Yozamp, Stephen Weingarten, Ryan Chaffee, Andy Srinivasan

Gold = Near locks because of TOC success, likeability, gender, diversity, memorableness
Silver = Wins and money and relative success in TOC
Bronze = You never know who the powers could pick for various reasons
Copper = Unlikely, but enough happened in previous games to make them potential selectees
Tin = Highly unlikely due to lack of TOC success or other factors

There is no guarantee that each TOC field will have a representative. I found it too difficult to pick a few names for the Gold chances. Vijay won his TOC, is not a white male, and is not originally from the U.S. Those could be enough reasons to get him in. The potential strike I wonder about is wins and money. To me, so what? Look at what happened in the TOC. That is what matters.

In the 2010 TOC I like that Vijay was not the favorite pick to win. He did not dominate at all times, but over four games he was the best and deserving champion. Vijay's story to persevere over multiple tryouts to finally get the call and chance to play gave hope to many who have faced the same situation. Bring him back.

Stefan and Jason were the other finalists in a TOC where the outcome was in doubt going into the final FJ clue. Jason is memorable for coming off as a blue collar everyman and who can forget the photo ties he wore? Stefan is a player I can imagine the powers looking over photos/videos and instantly thinking, "Oh, yeah. Stefan. Everyone liked him." He is easy to root for and if some kind of social media vote comes into play I could see him doing well.

Liz and Justin get the Silver nod as well for pretty good showings in the TOC and their wins/money are up there as well. 2010 will be a tough class for the powers to select some players and I think of all the groups this could be the one where the ins and outs get debated the most.

Regina could be out for not making the semis. She could get in for a strong QF showing and only missing her FJ clue. Terry still has yet to trail entering FJ. If he does not make it I would hope there would be better reasons than someone does not like his buzzer holding posture or Colby alone can be the one black man representative.

Dave would be in a higher group if he was still in uniform running the AFB. With that no longer in play I think even Alex would sign off on a furlough. I'm not thinking the gender divide has to be 23/22, but with not as many women in the TOC fields each one gets an extra look, so Christine is not Tin because I would not bet the farm on her being out.

For those I do have in Tin what case can they make? If 45 is the number I think their time has come and passed.
mrbungle

Re: Calling All TOCers Class of 2010

Post by mrbungle »

this is an outrage.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I know that we don't know for sure but I do think that every ToC class will have at least one representative. I would give Vijay the best chance of being selected.

I say move Terry up to silver. All things considered, he had as strong of a showing in this tournament as anyone else. He also has a decent chance because of a reason that you kind of mentioned. And he should be selected for defeating Jeff Kirby.

I am not betting on Liz Murphy being in the tournament, but I would lobby as hard for her as any female contestant not named Pam or Larissa. Liz absolutely deserves to be in, regardless of the gender breakdown.

Also....
mrbungle wrote:this is an outrage.
I agree with this. Curse the writers for thinking that categories on fashion and carriages are a good idea.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

this is outrageous.
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

mrbungle wrote:this is outrageous.
Halloa, Bunglemeister! As a fellow member in the GROUP OF 360 (G360), I come to your defence. Too much Fantasy J! sometimes, eh? Reminds me of that old business of what TR used to say about the man in arena, etc.

I go with Dortmund in the CL Final on Saturday. How say you?
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

one-nil wrote:
mrbungle wrote:this is outrageous.
Halloa, Bunglemeister! As a fellow member in the GROUP OF 360 (G360), I come to your defence. Too much Fantasy J! sometimes, eh? Reminds me of that old business of what TR used to say about the man in arena, etc.

Ah, a question worth pondering at last (though I'm not the person you asked, I realize). Bayern looked damned impressive in their dismantling of Barca, especially beating them at their own game, as it were. Dortmund does have their regular season victory to their credit, and they certainly looked strong in their victory over Real. I'm taking Die Roten in a close match.
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

one-nil wrote:Halloa, Bunglemeister! As a fellow member in the GROUP OF 360 (G360), I come to your defence. Too much Fantasy J! sometimes, eh? Reminds me of that old business of what TR used to say about the man in arena, etc.

one-nil! my ancient ally! he who knows, as do i, great enthusiasms and the great devotions! who spends himself in a worthy cause! whose dust mars my cheek! whose sweat mingles with my blood!

so we fail while daring greatly. so? may we never know the place of those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat!

you know that i, like you, am a dortmund man. bayern, blech! ah-YOOgudda-YOOgudda-AHHH! fight on, fight on, dear old muncie! fight on, hoist the gold and blue! you'll be tattered, torn, and hurtin'! once the munce is done with you! gooooOOOO EAGLES!

we are muncie girls.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

dortmund has had a terrific run, but i'd put them only in my gold group, especially with götze hurt (and who knows, anyway, what his mindset would be like if he were playing, since he's more or less a bayern player now). bayern gets the platinum rating. what's not to love about them? 3-1 win for the bavarians.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm taking the Leicester Tigers over the Northampton Saints.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Most of the writing sort of resembles English, but I have no earthly idea what in the heck the subject of the last several posts has been. Some strange type of sporting event? Are the Quidditch finals coming up?
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Nope, the Quidditch World Cup VI was last month. I only know that because UT lit up their tower in recognition of several of their athletic teams... including their championship-winning Quidditch team.

Texas athletics really has fallen on hard times, what with their Quidditch team doing better than their football team :)
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Jasoni22 wrote:Nope, the Quidditch World Cup VI was last month. I only know that because UT lit up their tower in recognition of several of their athletic teams... including their championship-winning Quidditch team.

Texas athletics really has fallen on hard times, what with their Quidditch team doing better than their football team :)
Heck, their ice hockey team is probably better than their football team at this point :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lisa0012 wrote:
Jasoni22 wrote:Nope, the Quidditch World Cup VI was last month. I only know that because UT lit up their tower in recognition of several of their athletic teams... including their championship-winning Quidditch team.

Heck, their ice hockey team is probably better than their football team at this point :D
Which reminds me of one of my favourite jokes (altered to make it germane to this topic): "What do the Dallas Stars and the Dallas Cowboys have in common?" "Neither team plays football!"

(One of the beauties of the joke is that it's easily customizable in terms of both sport and location.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Which reminds me of one of my favourite jokes (altered to make it germane to this topic): "What do the Dallas Stars and the Dallas Cowboys have in common?" "Neither team plays football!"

(One of the beauties of the joke is that it's easily customizable in terms of both sport and location.)
Yes, but the original from which all of those are taken has to have been:

Q: What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Toronto Blue Jays have in common?

A: Neither team can skate.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Apparently Gus Johnson is doing the play by play for the final on Saturday.... He is AWFUL.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

harrumph wrote:Apparently Gus Johnson is doing the play by play for the final on Saturday.... He is AWFUL.
yup. i have a crossword out today, and i can tell you that the original clue for 38-down, which did not make the final cut, was {Sportscaster Johnson who really should not do soccer games ever again}. perhaps i will watch the univision broadcast.
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

mrbungle will always be in the platinum group of my heart.

p.s. miss ya!

p.p.s. (with regret) bayern 3-1 dortmund
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not that I want to be Robben everyone of their fun, I had a chance to take a crack at Joon's crossword puzzle. A friend has been sharing the Wednesday and Thursday NYT puzzles with me. Joon's creation is a step up in difficulty from those days. I managed 93% on my own and then had to give up.

I thought of a certain boardie twice while trying to solve the puzzle. 31D (8 lettters) "Haven't the foggiest" and 15A (8 letters) Nabokov novel that parodies poetry criticism

You mean he wrote something other than Lolita?

Of course the kind of clue I can solve with no crossing needed was 3D (6 letters) "Double, Double, Toil and Trouble" stars

Very good puzzle Joon and there is even something for those that like Star Trek.
one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

Schliemann wrote:mrbungle will always be in the platinum group of my heart.

p.s. miss ya!

p.p.s. (with regret) bayern 3-1 dortmund
Bayern nearly tossed away the Round of 16 tie at Allianz against the ARSE and their usual bog standard effort! Besides, how can you not root for Juergen Klopp?! In a way, he resembles a fitter and slightly more handsome bunglemeister! Also, he called Bayern a bunch of "James Bond villains". And who can disagree? Look at Ribery! Look at Robben! Bayern is snakebit. Dortmund uber alles...
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I don't know what's worse, pretentious soccer fans or mbclev.