Thursday, May 23, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 23, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6614, 2013-05-23

CONTESTANTS
Mike Lewis, a systems engineer from Bloomington, Minnesota
Julia Lent, a government affairs director originally from Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Scott Singer, an attorney from Boca Raton, Florida (whose 1-day cash winnings total $40,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Nice to have you with us once again. I was very excited about yesterday's program because all three players performed extremely well. However, Scott wound up with most of the money, and a lot of money it was, over 40 grand. Julia and Mike...could you wind up with $40,000 today? Maybe. Let's see what happens. Good luck. Here are the categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY (5/5)
TOWERS (5/5)
NAME THAT TUNESMITH (5/5) (Alex: ...the writer of the song.)
TOYING WITH YOU (1/2)
PRODUCE SOME SLANG (5/5)
THE VICE PRESIDENCY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Joe Biden: I'm Joe Biden, with clues about the office of the vice presidency and some of my predecessors.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scott: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Mike: 10 R, 2 W
Julia: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Scott had no money, Julia had $400, and Mike was at $400. Julia wagered $1,000.

THE VICE PRESIDENCY $400: (Vice President Biden delivers the clue.) The vice president is a member of the Board of Regents of this, "America's Attic"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Scott: $4,000
Julia: $2,200
Mike: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Mike Lewis is a systems engineer, which means he develops software, I suppose.

Mike: That's correct.

Alex: Typically designed to do what?

Mike: Uh, we do a lot of stuff for managing the national cemeteries for all of our nation's veterans.

Alex: Now managing the cemeteries, which means basically looking after the landscaping there, or what else?

Mike: We also manage where all the plots are located. We allocate area for new plots, and we allocate, uh, resources for tree-trimming, grass-mowing, snow removals.

Alex: Okay, and I'm going to assume that you have a catalog somewhere that shows where every person is buried.

Mike: Yes, it's very up-to-date and very precise.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Julia Lent, originally from Shippensburg, Pennsylvania is an advocate on behalf of green infrastructure.

Julia: Yes.

Alex: Which means you help people do what?

Julia: Well, um, it's typically better to manage storm water with natural systems rather than cement, basically.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Julia: And so I work with landscape architects who, uh, design systems like bioswales, green roofs, all sorts of, rain gardens, things like that.

Alex: Well, at my house I would like to collect the rainwater in some big tanks. But in order to put the tanks on my property, I have to go through a lot of beaurocro--bureaucracy at city hall in building and safety to allow those tanks on my property.

Julia: We'd like to change that.

Alex: Thank you! [laughter] Work with the, uh, Building and Safety Department in Los Angeles, please.

Julia: Okay.

Alex: Scott Singer is our champion. He is an attorney. We're into the baseball season now, and I understand you are a superstitious Yankees fan.

Scott: Yes I am.

Alex: In what way?

Scott: So much so, that when the Yankees are in an important game or a playoff game, I have to watch with the game on mute, because I'm afraid the commentators are going to say something that's gonna jinx the team.

Alex: Like, "You know, he hasn't had a home run in, uh, three weeks."

Scott: Or even I feel like they're biased against the Yankees.

Alex: Really?

Scott: So I just, I'm get it, I, sometimes I'm just get so superstitious I just go in my zone of silence.

Alex: Wait a minute. Your announcers are biased against the Yankees?

Scott: Well, sometimes during playoff games it's not the home team. That's who I like.

Alex: Okay. Alright. I understand.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TOYING WITH YOU $400: Cepia released these "pets" in time to empty parental wallets at Christmas 2009
(Scott: What are pocket pets?)
(Mike: What are pillow pets?)
[end-of-round signal]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Scott: $7,000
Mike: $4,200
Julia: $3,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 23, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOOKS BY THE NUMBER (5/5)
IT'S GARY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GERMAN HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POTPOURRI (4/5)
FUN WITH SCIENCE (5/5)
"IE" TIMES 2 (5/5) (Alex: Those two letters, IE, in that order, will appear twice in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Scott: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Julia: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Scott had $13,400, Julia had $6,200, and Mike was at $9,000. Scott wagered $2,400.

GERMAN HISTORY $2000: In 1919 the National Assembly met in this city to write a new constitution & establish a federal republic

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mike who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Scott had $21,000, Julia had $6,200, and Mike was at $14,600. Mike wagered $6,400.

IT'S GARY $1600: This actor is in the Lt. Dan Band

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POTPOURRI $1600: In 2012 Xi Jinping succeeded this man as head of China's Communist Party

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mike: $25,000
Scott: $21,000
Julia: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART SUBJECTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Mike: Wager $17,001 to cover Scott. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $4,601.
Scott: Your score is within 4/5ths of Mike's, so wager between $8,001 (venusian) and $8,599 (martian), beating Mike's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Julia's part.
Julia: You just can't cover a rational wager by Scott, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1816 Francisco Goya published a series of 33 etchings called "La Tauromaquia", depicting this activity

FINAL SCORES
Julia: $6,200 - $1,000 = $5,200 (What is ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Scott: $21,000 - $4,001 = $16,999 (What is torture the Spanish Inquisition?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mike: $25,000 + $10,000 = $35,000 (What is bullfighting?) (New champion: $35,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Scott: $20,600, 25 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Mike: $20,200, 23 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Julia: $5,600, 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $46,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Scott: 25/59 = .424
Mike: 24/59 = .407
Julia: 7/59 = .119
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE VICE PRESIDENCY $200: (Vice President Biden delivers the clue.) In 1789, as this man became the first VP, he said that he was more used to engaging in debates than presiding over them

THE VICE PRESIDENCY $600: (Vice President Biden delivers the clue.) The first VP to become president on the death of the incumbent, this man shocked many by insisting on wielding the full presidential powers

THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY $600: Among portraits on display is one of John Jacob Astor IV, probably the richest victim of this early 20th century disaster

THE VICE PRESIDENCY $1000: (Vice President Biden delivers the clue.) In 1832, after ticking off President Jackson & defending a state's right to nullify an act of the Congress, this proud Southerner became the first vice president to resign

THE VICE PRESIDENCY $800: (Vice President Biden delivers the clue.) Since 1974 the official residence of the vice president has been on the grounds of this astronomical agency of the United States

TOWERS $600: This largest Alberta city has a very nice tower, though it's only about a third the height of the one in Toronto

TOWERS $800: The Memorial Jose Marti, a 358-foot marble tower in the Plaza de la Revolucion, is the highest point in this world capital
(Mike: What is Cuba?)

"IE" TIMES 2 $1600: In 1954 this Vietnam village was the site of the decisive battle of the first Indochina war
(Scott: What is Dien Ven Phu?)

FUN WITH SCIENCE $1200: It's annoying when you walk across carpet & touch metal but helpful when Xerox machines use it to make copies
(Scott: What is electricity?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Scott: What is [*]?)

FUN WITH SCIENCE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Stick two forks together, insert a toothpick into the tines, and you'll find that you can balance it on the side of a glass; it's a method of finding the center of this and it looks cool

IT'S GARY $2000: Seen here, he was exquisitely obnoxious as boss Bill Lumbergh in "Office Space"

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Smithsonian
Zhu Zhu Pets
Weimar
Gary Sinise
Hu Jintao
bullfighting
John Adams
John Tyler
the Titanic
(John C.) Calhoun
the Naval Observatory
Calgary
Havana
Dien Bien Phu
static electricity
gravity (or mass)
Gary Cole

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf » Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Oh my what a controversial episode, Joe Biden reading clues and a "banana republic" answer. Cue up another petition from the idiots on the official board.

Interesting that Willis Tower was a bottom row clue.

Ridiculous wager from the new champ in FJ, good wagers from the other two. The clue had little to do with art subjects and everything to do with word roots and Spanish happenings.

From a Q&A point of view, a very well-played game.

Oh, as far as FJ goes, was that TPH's mom at the center podium? :o

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Art Subjects
In 1816 Francisco Goya published a series of 33 etchings called "La Tauromaquia", depicting this activity.

SpoilerShow
What is bullfighting? Julia had no guess; Scott said the Spanish Inquisition.

Mike Lewis: $25,000+$10,000=$35,000...now a 1-day champion with $35,000
Scott Singer: $21,000-$4,001=$16,999
Julia Lent: $6,200-$1,000=$5,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri May 24, 2013 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

benzylic
Contributor

Post by benzylic » Thu May 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Did the Scott say Dien Vien Phu, instead of Dien Bien Phu?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 pm

benzylic wrote:Did the Scott say Dien Vien Phu, instead of Dien Bien Phu?
Sounded like it to me. I'm guessing Scott left out the 2nd syllable in Bien (and his sounded like a "V", too).

How was that not a triple-get? (The Spanish Inquisition? How did "tauro" get to Torquemada?)

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu May 23, 2013 7:30 pm

When they showed Joe Biden, I was annoyed. When he read his relatively short clues at a reasonable pace, I was pleasently surprised. WHEN THEY RAN OUT OF TIME ANYWAY, I was furious :evil: How many slowpokes reading multipage clues have we suffered through, only for them to finish the round anyway? WTF?

Anyway, instaget FJ, should've been a triple get. Not sure what that he was thinking with that wager, but whatever. I need to stop trying to analyze these wagers logically.

Andromus

Post by Andromus » Thu May 23, 2013 7:33 pm

econgator wrote: How was that not a triple-get? (The Spanish Inquisition? How did "tauro" get to Torquemada?)
Really. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquistion. (At least I didn't, thought the correct answer seemed fairly obvious.)

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 pm

I thought he said Dien Ben Phu.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 pm

As soon as I saw the clue, my thought was, "Wow, looks like two days in a row for a 40k winner."
This one might be the highest % ever for a triple stumper in our weekly poll.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Paucle wrote:As soon as I saw the clue, my thought was, "Wow, looks like two days in a row for a 40k winner."
This one might be the highest % ever for a triple stumper in our weekly poll.
While I'd be curious to know what the highest poll% for a TS is, our new champ got it right.

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu May 23, 2013 8:12 pm

But FJ wasn't a triple stumper.

In fact I think there was only one TS in the game, about the stuffed toys.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Thu May 23, 2013 8:13 pm

silverscreentest wrote:
I thought he said Dien Ben Phu.
Me, too. I thought he said 'Ben' for the second word.

Was multi-tasking during the game tonight --- editing an anthology of mine containing science fiction short stories --- so nothing much stands out during the game, save that as a history geek, swept the VP categories.

For FJ, my first thought was the Spanish Inquisition, which, of course, nobody expects. And my wife said no, it's probably bullfighting, and yep, she's right.

Obviously, once again, I married up.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty » Thu May 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Paucle wrote:As soon as I saw the clue, my thought was, "Wow, looks like two days in a row for a 40k winner."
This would have been just the second time that such a feat would have been accomplished by two different contestants (the other being Myron Meyer's record-breaking game followed by Jake Maeroff's $41,201 win). This was the first time, however, that two consecutive games have featured two contestants finishing the DJ round with at least $20K.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Thu May 23, 2013 8:31 pm

I didn't get this one with the level of confidence as yesterday, but I still got it early and still got it right. Figured "tauro" was related to "taurus" bull, and the name was quite obviously Spanish, so that was the only thing to make sense to me.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Thu May 23, 2013 8:32 pm

econgator wrote:How was that not a triple-get? (The Spanish Inquisition? How did "tauro" get to Torquemada?)
Yeah, that's 3 days in a row of (IMO) insultingly easy FJs, and I got lucky on Monday also so I'm on track for my first regular 5/5 week in a while. Of course that means tomorrow's clue will combine sports and opera.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu May 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Leander wrote:But FJ wasn't a triple stumper.
In fact I think there was only one TS in the game, about the stuffed toys.
oh, duh. The reason my brain went there was because the champ didn't finish with over 40k, when his cover bet should've put him there.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 pm

I knew toro is Spanish for bull, so that was an easy jump to make.

I didn't get the wager, either. Three things wrong with it.

1. Did not cover second place.
2. Would get passed by third if she doubled up and he missed FJ.
3. Does not cover second, even if second only bet $14,799 (which puts him a dollar ahead her pre-FJ score if he is wrong).

Another new champ who benefits from a late DD bet. I got that one, thanks to the fact Sinise's band played a benefit concert for a wounded soldier recently at my wife's alma mater.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm

$800 was my only get on Public Library. Is there any reason I should've gone with 5th Avenue and none of the other streets in NYC? Lots of thoroughfares in NYC are famous. The lion clue was also a total WTF from me.

The Lennon song was the only unfamiliar song to me in Tunesmith. I knew Waiting on the World to Change but locked up on the artist.

Not at all surprised with the TS on Zhu Zhu Pets. Did anyone here get that? I didn't.

0/5 on Biden's category. I misheard "board of regents" as "border regions" and said Canada.

I didn't realize the pun in "Produce Slang" until $800, but that didn't keep me from running it.

Was it just me, or did Alex say "what" instead of "blank" on Books for $1600?

I knew those Greek olives were kala-something, but couldn't remember the other half.

Oddly, Sinise was my only get in It's Gary. I missed with Coleman for Busey. (Insert "whatchoo talkin' 'bout?" here.)

Taurosomething -> Taurus -> bull -> bullfighting. Got it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 pm

IIRC, closed captioning had it as "Dien Fen Phu". I've always pronounced it as "Din Bin Foo", but the pronunciation on Wikipedia sounds like "Din Bin Foe".

Another instaget with a low get rate. Don't understand it.