Monday, May 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Classic Kid Stuff
This 1920s plaything still made today got its name in tribute to 2 famous men of the day: Marconi & Lindbergh.

SpoilerShow
What is Radio Flyer? Chris said Fisher Price Radio.

Mike Lewis: $19,600+$10,001=$29,601...now a 3-day champion with $92,401
Tobias Harris: $14,800+$14,799=$29,599
Chris O. Cook: $10,400-$10,400=$0

*EDIT* Oops, I already had this typed up before I saw that Bamaman had the FJ posted in the next post down. The more the merrier, I suppose. I did get the game after all, but thanks for filling in anyway, as yours was posted much earlier than mine.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon May 27, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon May 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Classic Kid Stuff

This famous plaything introduced in the 1920s got its name in tribute to two famous men of the day: Marconi and Lindbergh.
SpoilerShow
What is the Radio Flyer? Chris said Fisher-Price Flyer
Chris Cook:$10,400-$10,400=$0
Tobias Harris:$14,800+$14,799=$29,599
Mike Lewis:$19,600+$10,001=$29,601

Mike is now a three day champion with $92,401 and is now fourth in the TOC standings and is highest earning three day champ.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Mon May 27, 2013 7:01 pm

That is an unfair FJ and I would say also untrue. I checked the Radio Flyer web site and also Wikipedia, and neither make mention of the thing being named for Marconi & Lindbergh. Wikipedia says the company was renamed Radio Steel & Manufacturing in 1930 and the name Radio Flyer reflected founder Antonio Pasin's interest in radio and flight. Nothing at all about the two famous men.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon May 27, 2013 7:04 pm

A well played game by all three, hate to see Tobias' stumble cost him the game.

FJ took me a bit. I started with Walkie-Talkie, thinking maybe it came out of Marconi's work and maybe Lindbergh used them somehow. Then radio clicked in and I was home free.

I checked the archive's early years and didn't see anyone named Cook losing to a five day champ in his fifth game.

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey » Mon May 27, 2013 7:21 pm

The Radio Flyer website itself cites Marconi, but not Lindbergh, as an inspiration for the "Radio" part of the name. Amazon lists a book called My Little Red Wagon compiled for the Radio Flyer company by two men surnamed Pasin (presumably descendants of Antonio), and it mentions a "Lindy Flyer" model that was definitely inspired by Lindbergh. I will have to say, though, that I haven't found any authoritative source online that completely backs up the way the FJ! clue was worded.

I got it anyway, though.
Bamaman wrote:I checked the archive's early years and didn't see anyone named Cook losing to a five day champ in his fifth game.
Chris had said his father competed in 1987, and there are only a few games from that year posted in the J! Archive. This question may be better referred to one of the master archivists.

And ... I hope everyone here knows what duty Francis Scott Key was pressed into during his brief visit to Fort McHenry.

It should be obvious. He was
SpoilerShow
guarding the troops' mutton supply for dinner the next day.
It's right in the lyrics: "O'er the ram parts we watched."
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon May 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Note to self: Do more research on Star Trek. Borg was my only get.

0/5 in Federation. Never heard of IAAF.

Manicotti was my only miss in Middle C. I forgot the category and almost said pierogies. I still have a bad memory of eating some incredibly nasty ones from Schwan's.

0/5 in Chinese. Should've gotten "wonton" and "noodle", but I was failing to understand the clues. "Nut" didn't trigger "water chestnut" at all, and I've NHO the bottom two.

Philosophy went completely over my head.

Anyone else hear a cough from the audience before Postage Stamps for $1200?

Charles Lindbergh and something Marconi. Charles. Chuck. Chaz. Nope, nothing's coming up. Oh, it wasn't based off their names, but their occupations?!?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon May 27, 2013 7:28 pm

I didn't really expect to find the elder Mr. Cook, but you never know. I started in 1987 and checked several early seasons just in case he was off by a year or two. But maybe this game is laying around in someone's charts. If someone happened to have the game tape lying around, it would be great if it could be archived now that his son has made the show.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon May 27, 2013 7:29 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Charles Lindbergh and something Marconi. Charles. Chuck. Chaz.
That's where I started, but after 10 seconds of getting nowhere, I went to what they were best-known for.

Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy » Mon May 27, 2013 8:02 pm

I got Radio Flyer right, but I couldn't remember what it was. I thought perhaps it was one of those radio controlled model airplanes. I wonder who else got it right, but couldn't remember what it was. That might be a good end of the week poll question.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Mon May 27, 2013 8:02 pm

There're wheelhouses, and there're uberwheelhouses. When the bottom-row clue feels like kid-week top row, you know that's an uber wheelhouse.
I think they could've fairly given the names of the two characters and asked for their combined name- not a lot of ways to combine "Tuvok" and "Neelix."

Got FJ after about 15 seconds when it hit me like a bolt out of the blue. And I can't believe 2nd place only lost by 2 bucks!! <mbclev>Oh if only he hadn't mis-spoke on that one title, if he had that extra money, he would've WON!!</mbclev>.
(I don't even know if it was the same guy, just had to make the joke)

Had to watch the show "live" BTW, as something's up with the cable and we're only getting a basic feed. No digital so no DVR ability. Been going on all weekend and it wasn't until about 6:30 that I remembered I couldn't sit down and cue J! up at will, I had to be at the TV at 7:30! What is this, 2000 aughts?

davey

Post by davey » Mon May 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Frank Hardy wrote:I got Radio Flyer right, but I couldn't remember what it was. I thought perhaps it was one of those radio controlled model airplanes. I wonder who else got it right, but couldn't remember what it was. That might be a good end of the week poll question.
I'm pretty sure I would have said it was a sled...thinking of "Flexible Flyer," I guess. Luckily we didn't have to identify it!

Leander

Post by Leander » Mon May 27, 2013 8:22 pm

I couldn't remember if it was a sled or wagon.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Mon May 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Took my mom's correct FJ! answer. I remember watching the official Jeopardy! DVD, and on episode one, "Marconi's wonderful wireless" is a clue. I was trying to come up with what that has to do with Charles Lindbergh.
floridagator wrote:That is an unfair FJ and I would say also untrue. I checked the Radio Flyer web site and also Wikipedia, and neither make mention of the thing being named for Marconi & Lindbergh. Wikipedia says the company was renamed Radio Steel & Manufacturing in 1930 and the name Radio Flyer reflected founder Antonio Pasin's interest in radio and flight. Nothing at all about the two famous men.
Take anything on Wikipedia with a huge grain of salt. You know its slogan, right?

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon May 27, 2013 8:37 pm

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Charles Lindbergh and something Marconi. Charles. Chuck. Chaz.
That's where I started, but after 10 seconds of getting nowhere, I went to what they were best-known for.
I didn't think to try any other approach. When something is named in tribute of someone, I always think that it'll have their name in it, not something like what they were famous for.
Leander wrote:I couldn't remember if it was a sled or wagon.
inb4 "Rosebud" jokes
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Mon May 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Anyone notice that of all the middle 'C' clues, only 'isoceles' wasn't exactly in the middle?

FJ was a 40-seconder for me. Rats.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon May 27, 2013 8:44 pm

StrangerCoug wrote:Take anything on Wikipedia with a huge grain of salt. You know its slogan, right?
"We Make Shit Up So You Don't Have To"?
TenPoundHammer wrote:Charles Lindbergh and something Marconi. Charles. Chuck. Chaz. Nope, nothing's coming up. Oh, it wasn't based off their names, but their occupations?!?
Yeah, going off their occupations didn't occur to me in the slightest, I figured, like TPH, that since their last names only were given that their first names were where to go. <TPH>Never would have got FJ! in a million years.</TPH>

(Looks like this is going to be one of those FJs like Friday's (I think) that nearly everyone gets but me.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 pm

alietr wrote:Anyone notice that of all the middle 'C' clues, only 'isoceles' wasn't exactly in the middle?
It is exactly in the middle if you spell isosceles correctly. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Mon May 27, 2013 8:49 pm

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:Anyone notice that of all the middle 'C' clues, only 'isoceles' wasn't exactly in the middle?
It is exactly in the middle if you spell isosceles correctly. ;)
[Pulp Fiction]
I don't remember asking you a goddamn thing!
[/Pulp Fiction]