Monday, May 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by teapot37 »

dhkendall wrote:(Looks like this is going to be one of those FJs like Friday's (I think) that nearly everyone gets but me.)
I got FJ, but barely, at about the 25-second mark. Char-Gug? Char-lielmo? Gug-les? Marc-bergh? This went on for 20 seconds. And then I thought, "Marconi was the radio… oh crap! RADIO FLYER!"
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Took a similar path to others here. Spent maybe 3 seconds trying to remember Marconi's first name to go with Charles (turns out it was Guglielmo...either it's so strange as to be memorable, or nobody can be expected to know it), then switched tacks and got it immediately.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Mike's wagering skills seem to be improving as he goes along. He has gone from not covering, to offering a tie, to making the MSB in today's game.
davey

Post by davey »

StrangerCoug wrote: Take anything on Wikipedia with a huge grain of salt. You know its slogan, right?
Sure, but just because this "tribute" isn't in Wikipedia doesn't make it or anything in the Wikipedia entry false.

One quibble with a ruling tonight - Aestheticism was an art movement. Aesthetics is the philosophic study. Easier to say, too.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

"Radio" was to the 1920s as "dotcom" was to the 1990s. Another example: "RKO Radio Pictures."

As a boy, I had a Radio Flyer wagon that looked just like this:

The current versions have a more "retro" logo.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Similar to the Joseph Anton FJ, I was also trying to do something with the first names of Marconi and Lindbergh, so I was messing around with Sam and Charlie, only to realize after a bit of thinking that Morse was named Samuel, and I had absolutely no idea what Marconi's first name was. I couldn't even think of a decent guess, scribbling down Slinky just to have something, then pausing for a good 2-3 minutes thinking that it had to be really freaking obvious and it just wasn't coming to me. Even after all that time, I still didn't even have a decent guess, so I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I think something with the occupations of the two men did fleetingly cross my mind, but I didn't spend enough time on it to actually make it add up to anything.

All 3 contestants were definitely there to play the game, and I thoroughly enjoyed this contest. The FJ wager by 3rd place left a bit to be desired, but the gets by the leaders obviously made it irrelevant.

I didn't have any problem with internal articles in the Broadway category, as my answer of "Cats" had neither 'a" nor "the" in it. (Well, actually it did have an "a" in it, but not as a separate word.)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote:That is an unfair FJ and I would say also untrue.
So I take it you missed it. :twisted:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:Anyone notice that of all the middle 'C' clues, only 'isoceles' wasn't exactly in the middle?
It is exactly in the middle if you spell isosceles correctly. ;)
[Pulp Fiction]
I don't remember asking you a goddamn thing!
[/Pulp Fiction]
Why do I have suddenly have an appetite for a Kahuna burger? ?

It will have to be rmfromfla to figure out Chris Cook's father and the 5x champ. What I want to know is what was up with the Chris O. Cook on introduction?

Many players have doubled up on a DD wager. Many have said, "All of it." "All of it, baby" was a new one to me.

The Tennessee Williams play title is one I don't recall being butchered previously where the Shakespeare play with "Dream" has cost players several times.

If Tobias gets it right he has 18800 entering FJ. Mike would be at 17600. This error may have cost Tobias a chance to win the game. Tobias did get a rebound with Mike losing 1600 on artisan instead of artisanal. Tobias can also look to only wagering $1000 in a DD box worth $1200 for regrets.

The FJ category looked good on paper until I recalled the G.I. Joe FJ clue that got me. I read the clue once and had no inspiration for a kind of plane. I read the clue again and Radio Flyer came to me immediately. I debated whether "red wagon" was needed and decided the two words had to be good enough. I like the poll option for getting it and not being sure it was a wagon.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:I like the poll option for getting it and not being sure it was a wagon.
Of course, I was just the opposite:

That little red wagon! Something Flyer. It wasn't wireless!! What was it!???

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jpsultan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpsultan »

I got to watch this game in person (I'm on tomorrow). During practice I was sizing up everyone's buzzer skills and had Chris and Tobias pegged as the fastest - so a bit of a tough break that they had to compete against each other. I thought Mike was done for at the first commercial break but he really dialed it in over the course of the game.

There was a school from Compton in the audience and one of the kids asked Alex if he'd ever been to Compton. He said he'd dropped off a co-worker who lived there many years ago.
tsharris1982
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tsharris1982 »

This is Tobias from today's game. Definitely regret the low DD wager (to say nothing of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof). I knew "Sophists," but just couldn't pull the trigger on it.

I will say in response to jpsultan that I certainly didn't feel fast on the buzzer during practice, and every time we took a break I felt that my buzzer went cold. I knew in advance that the buzzer was tough — and have quiz bowl experience — and even with that foreknowledge I was surprised at home tricky the buzzer was.

I obviously wish it had gone differently, but all in all a great experience.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got "Radio Flyer" but wasn't 100% sure what it was. I thought it was a wagon, but also thought it might have been a toy airplane.

It doesn't matter, though. Surface-level knowledge for the win!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

tsharris1982 wrote:This is Tobias from today's game. Definitely regret the low DD wager (to say nothing of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof). I knew "Sophists," but just couldn't pull the trigger on it.

I will say in response to jpsultan that I certainly didn't feel fast on the buzzer during practice, and every time we took a break I felt that my buzzer went cold. I knew in advance that the buzzer was tough — and have quiz bowl experience — and even with that foreknowledge I was surprised at home tricky the buzzer was.

I obviously wish it had gone differently, but all in all a great experience.
Hey Tobias! Welcome to the board and thanks for the comments.

So, was your "Cat..." response just a misspeak or did you think it was "the"?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:As a boy, I had a Radio Flyer wagon that looked just like this:
Mine was the one with the detachable wooden sides.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

tsharris1982 wrote:I obviously wish it had gone differently, but all in all a great experience.
I think you played a great game. Well done!

So was it you that got the call a year ago or whatever, but had to put it off due to going to Japan? I remember someone saying that in our group and based on your interview story tonight I figure it must have been you.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'm glad we had a well-played game tonight. I thought for sure Tobias had won it since I had no clue what the answer was. Americans suck at toy history, I've heard. I was going with the names and then went towards aviation. No guess in the end though since I'm pretty sure Slinky was after WWII.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Yes, strong game by all three contestants. Definitely a game where there's no shame in coming in second or third.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I believe we're now up to (at least) 5 of presumably 11 players from this day's taping having posted here on the board.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It was a hard-fought game, that much is certain. At the half, I thought that Toby might win it, but the champ got his groove on in Double Jeopardy and I had a feeling at the end of the game that he was going to win again. I suppose Toby might have won had it not been for getting an article wrong, but didn't someone get ruled against the other day for interposing an s? Svensgali or something like that? And don't forget, Toby got extra money after the judges decided birth control was an OK answer. So the calls went both ways for Toby.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Frank Hardy wrote:I got Radio Flyer right, but I couldn't remember what it was. I thought perhaps it was one of those radio controlled model airplanes. I wonder who else got it right, but couldn't remember what it was. That might be a good end of the week poll question.
I wasn't sure if it was a sled (confused it with flexible flyer) or a wagon. Hoped Radio Flyer would be enough. Kid stuff usually isn't my category.