Thursday, May 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6619, 2013-05-30

CONTESTANTS
Katrina Whitehead, a strategic analyst from Sandston, Virginia
Les Chun, a property manager from San Francisco, California
Sam Hopkins, an M.B.A. student originally from Prairie Village, Kansas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen welcome. Good to have you with us. Sam is a good champion. He speaks 11 languages also, and won the $19,000 yesterday working only in English. Imagine what he could do if we had clues in ten other languages. [Laughter] Les and Katrina, welcome aboard and good luck to you as well. Here we go. The Jeopardy! round and we'll reveal these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOFA'S CHOICE (5/5)
IN THE CAPITAL CITY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"PARTY" TIME! (4/5)
TREES THE CHARM (5/5)
CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS (4/5)
JOHNNY GILBERT GOES TO THE MOVIES (5/5) (Alex: We want you to name the film as [*].)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Les: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Sam: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Katrina: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Sam had $1,800, Les had $2,800, and Katrina was at $200. Sam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

IN THE CAPITAL CITY $800: Nov. 7, 1867:
The future Marie Curie is born

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sam: $3,600
Les: $2,800
Katrina: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Katrina Whitehead is from Virginia, and she has recently purchased a small farm, and your main crop, or activity is going to be...?

Katrina: Well, at the moment all we have are poultry, but we do plan on getting Icelandic sheep.

Alex: What's special about Icelandic sheep?

Katrina: Ah, they're a triple-purpose sheep...meat, wool, milk. They do it all.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Katrina: The first one's gonna be named Alex. [Laughter]

Alex: Meat, wool, milk, that's me. [Laughter]

Alex: Les Chun, property manager from San Francisco. You had a long-distance relationship. Tell the folks about that.

Les: Yes, for a couple of years, we did a lot of flying back and forth. I would meet her at the airport holding up signs...

Alex: Like the chauffeurs do.

Les: Exactly, like limo drivers, but I would always change it up and do something special, nickname, or something relating to what we had talked about very recently.

Alex: Uh-huh. And you have saved all of those.

Les: Oh yes.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Sam Hopkins is our champion. He's an MBA student who is completing a study at Johns Hopkins regarding what?

Sam: Um, I'm working in health care and entrepreneurship, so we, I spent some time in different uh, emerging markets. I was in India working with a company hoping to bring vision screening devices to rural Indians, and then we're also working in different medical technology there in Baltimore, hoping to bring that to market, so...

Alex: Okay. Pro bono work. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"PARTY" TIME! $800: A band of Native American fighters who raid an enemy, or a hawkish political group

CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS $1000: The logo of this ecologically-minded group is seen here
(Sam: What is the Sierra Club?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Les: $5,800
Sam: $5,400
Katrina: $2,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE COLOMBIA ENCYCLOPEDIA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALPHABETICALLY FIRST (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GIMME A "D" (4/5)
THE NAPOLEONIC ERA (4/5)
I SAW THAT BOOK ON TV (4/5)
COMEDY TEAMS? (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Les: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Katrina: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Sam had $8,600, Les had $5,800, and Katrina was at $4,000. Sam wagered $4,000.

THE COLOMBIA ENCYCLOPEDIA $2000: Under "E":
Many Spanish explorers came to Colombia searching for this fabled city of gold

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Les who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Sam had $16,600, Les had $15,000, and Katrina was at $5,600. Les wagered $5,000.

ALPHABETICALLY FIRST $1600: Of the First Ladies' first names
(Alex: [*]. Mrs. John Adams and Mrs. Millard Fillmore. Both were named [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I SAW THAT BOOK ON TV $800: Julia McKenzie, born in 1941, began playing this British snoop in 2008's "A Pocket Full of Rye"
(Les: Who is Christie?)
(Alex: You gave me the author's name instead of [*], the character.)

THE NAPOLEONIC ERA $2000: Napoleon commissioned the Arc de Triomphe after this 1805 battle, one of his greatest victories

GIMME A "D" $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Traffic engineer Henry Barns advocated this system of diagonal crossing; because of the way pedestrians weave around each other in the middle of the intersection, it's called the Barnes this
(Sam: What is a diagonal?)
(Alex: It's called a [*]. Sounds like fun.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Les: $20,400
Sam: $19,000
Katrina: $10,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN SCIENTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Les: Wager $17,601 to cover Sam.
Sam: You have to wager $1,801 to cover Katrina's doubled score, but certainly no more than $8,599, so as to force Katrina to be right to have a chance at winning.
Katrina: Think about risking $7,600 or less, thereby beating Les on the Triple Stumper (should Les wager to cover Sam's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1920, the New York Times said he lacks the “knowledge ladled out daily in high schools”; on July 17, 1969, the paper apologized

FINAL SCORES
Katrina: $10,400 - $10,100 = $300 (Who is Scopes?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sam: $19,000 - $6,600 = $12,400 (Who is Kennedy?) (2-day champion: $31,601)
Les: $20,400 - $17,601 = $2,799 (Who is Oppenheimer?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: In the 20's he said rockets could leave the Earth and go into space. They ridiculed him. Boo, hiss, bad people.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Les: $17,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sam: $16,000, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Katrina: $10,400, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $43,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Sam: 23/60 = .383
Les: 20/59 = .339
Katrina: 12/58 = .207
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
JOHNNY GILBERT GOES TO THE MOVIES $200: (Johnny Gilbert reads the clue.) "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me... aren't you?"

JOHNNY GILBERT GOES TO THE MOVIES $400: (Johnny Gilbert reads the clue.) "Fiddle-dee-dee! war, war, war; the war talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this spring"
(Sam: What is The Great Gatsby?)

JOHNNY GILBERT GOES TO THE MOVIES $600: (Johnny Gilbert reads the clue.) "If...you're not with him, you'll regret it. maybe not today. maybe not tomorrow, but soon, & for the rest of your life"

JOHNNY GILBERT GOES TO THE MOVIES $800: (Johnny Gilbert reads the clue.) "Hello! my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die"
(Alex: Yeah, and Johnny was not the greatest on that one, was he?) [Laughter]

JOHNNY GILBERT GOES TO THE MOVIES $1000: (Johnny Gilbert reads the clue.) "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh?... Funny how? How am I funny?"
(Les: What is Taxi Driver?)
And Johnny, thank you so much. Ah, I loved it.

SOFA'S CHOICE $800: An overstuffed sofa & a topcoat with a velvet collar are both named for the earl of this
(Katrina: Davenport, what is Davenport?

SOFA'S CHOICE $1000: From the French, it's someone you tell secrets to, or the type of sofa seen here

ALPHABETICALLY FIRST $400: Of the zodiac signs
(Sam: What is Aries?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Warsaw
war party
Nature Conservancy
El Dorado
Abigail
Miss Marple
Battle of Austerlitz
Barnes Dance
Robert Goddard
The Graduate
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
The Princess Bride
Good Fellas
Chesterfield
confidant
Aquarius

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:34 pm

American Scientists
In 1920 the New York Times said he lacks the "knowledge ladled out daily in high schools"; on July 17, 1969, the paper apologized.

SpoilerShow
Who is Robert Goddard? Katrina said Scopes; Sam said Kennedy; Les said Oppenheimer.
Les Chun: $20,400-$17,601=$2,799
Sam Hopkins: $19,000-$6,600=$12,400...now a 2-day champion with $31,601
Katrina Whitehead: $10,400-$10,100=$300
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 30, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen » Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Haven't seen the Wed result yet, but if lark is gonna make a splash hit, he may need to knock off a 5x champion. Best retro luck, man. (My efforts to link your Howdy have failed -- I'm sure you're grateful.)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 pm

FJ was a rerun. I think I got it right back then as well.

www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2540

That game also had a Bonanza reference as well as Abagail Adams.

Golf

Post by Golf » Thu May 30, 2013 6:43 pm

These FJ puzzle type clues are fun, not much way to outright know the answer but easy to ration out. Why would they retract in July 1969, what was going on? Obviously the moon landing. Rockets is Pavlov for Goddard and 1920 fits. Can't wait to see if people think this is unfair like Peck, knowing dates is so important.

Smart FJ wagering wins a game many would lose. Kudos.

Seeing as I have an affinity for sheep, was rooting for Katrina. Gotta check out these Icelandic sheep. :twisted:

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu May 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Golf wrote:These FJ puzzle type clues are fun, not much way to outright know the answer but easy to ration out. Why would they retract in July 1969, what was going on? Obviously the moon landing. Rockets is Pavlov for Goddard and 1920 fits. Can't wait to see if people think this is unfair like Peck, knowing dates is so important.
*nod* I got it immediately off the date, but spent the next 29 seconds wondering if it were some other physicist they were looking for.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Thu May 30, 2013 7:38 pm

It's too bad larkin lost; with that said, this was one of my favorite episodes in some time - some very good gets (I only shouted at the screen a couple of times - I liked the gets in Sofas in particular), aggressive DD wagering, and all three folks were in it. And the FJ was terrific - classic, deductive clue. I was thrown at first - I picked up that date as pointing toward the moon landing, but I had ignored the category. Once I saw that, ding, it fell into place. Goddard was widely ridiculed back in the day.

My only quibble is that Colombia DD, in the 2000 slot, was way too easy as it was, never mind the show spotting the letter "E."

Tomorrow's episode will almost certainly return to the mean, alas.

Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:57 pm

FJ obviously was about someone associated with the space program or rocketry. The only two well-known scientists in that area were von Braun and Goddard, and I didn't think von Braun, still in Germany in 1920, would have been written about by the NYT like that. (Especially since, as I look him up, he was only 8 years old then! Didn't know he was that young.) Credit to Les for at least guessing a scientist, and I guess half-credit to Katrina for naming a science teacher.

I wasn't sure if Goddard was still alive at the time of the moon landing (nope, died five days before the end of WW2), but I saw no reason to assume that it couldn't have been a posthumous apology.
Last edited by Jasoni22 on Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NoName84

Post by NoName84 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Instaget for me, but I was not surprised it was a triple stumper. I thought one of the contestants might forget the category and go with Einstein.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Jasoni22 wrote:FJ obviously was about someone associated with the space program or rocketry. The only two well-known scientists in that area were von Braun and Goddard, and I didn't think von Braun, still in Germany in 1920, would have been written about by the NYT like that. (Especially since, as I look him up, he was only 8 years old then! Didn't know he was that young.) Credit to Les for at least guessing a scientist, and I guess half-credit to Katrina for naming a science teacher.
Don't forget that the category was American Scientists, thus ruling out Von Braun. Goddard was an easy get; surprised it was a TS!

Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Dr. J wrote:
Jasoni22 wrote:FJ obviously was about someone associated with the space program or rocketry. The only two well-known scientists in that area were von Braun and Goddard, and I didn't think von Braun, still in Germany in 1920, would have been written about by the NYT like that. (Especially since, as I look him up, he was only 8 years old then! Didn't know he was that young.) Credit to Les for at least guessing a scientist, and I guess half-credit to Katrina for naming a science teacher.
Don't forget that the category was American Scientists, thus ruling out Von Braun. Goddard was an easy get; surprised it was a TS!
Thought about that, but despite being born German and working on their weapons programs, he lived and worked in the US for many years and was a vital contributor to our space program. He even became a US citizen a full 22 years before his death. I think he could be called both German and American.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Fun game for me and enjoyed some of the calls... Colombia Encyclopedia was a sweep for me.

Also swept the Johnny Gilbert at the Movies category.

But guessing "The Great Gatsby" for a movie clue concerning "war, war, war" and "fiddle-dee-dee" Really? "The Great Gatsby?" Hmmmm...
Dr. J wrote: Don't forget that the category was American Scientists, thus ruling out Von Braun. Goddard was an easy get; surprised it was a TS!
Being a space geek since... well, a freakin' long time, this was as quick as an Instaget I've ever gotten. Was also surprised it was a TS!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Thu May 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Does Johnny Gilbert's non-announcer voice sound a tad like Bob Barker on helium to anyone else?

I had nothing for FJ!. I rejected my dad's answer of Albert Einstein, thinking he was German and not American.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 pm

StrangerCoug wrote:Does Johnny Gilbert's non-announcer voice sound a tad like Bob Barker on helium to anyone else?

I had nothing for FJ!. I rejected my dad's answer of Albert Einstein, thinking he was German and not American.
Born German, but he did have American citizenship.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Jasoni22 wrote: I think he could be called both German and American.
So could Einstein.

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven » Thu May 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Bamaman wrote:FJ was a rerun. I think I got it right back then as well.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2540

I remembered this FJ as well, which actually made me hesitate for a second:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3628

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu May 30, 2013 8:47 pm

nserven wrote:
Bamaman wrote:FJ was a rerun. I think I got it right back then as well.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2540

I remembered this FJ as well, which actually made me hesitate for a second:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3628
And that game also had a clue about the Hitler wedding!!!!

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Thu May 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Bamaman wrote:And that game also had a clue about the Hitler wedding!!!!
Did you know Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler have the same wedding anniversary as Kate Middleton and Prince William?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:58 pm

silverscreentest wrote:
Bamaman wrote:And that game also had a clue about the Hitler wedding!!!!
Did you know Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler have the same wedding anniversary as Kate Middleton and Prince William?
How dare you mention those two couples in the same sentence? Prince William has absolutely nothing in common with that monster Hitler. I'll be anxiously awaiting your formal letter of apology.