Friday, May 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri May 31, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6620, 2013-05-31

CONTESTANTS
Kirk Nelson, a structural engineer from Seattle, Washington
Benjamin Recchie, a science writer from Chicago, Illinois
Sam Hopkins, an M.B.A. student originally from Prairie Village, Kansas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $31,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, everyone, and welcome, as we wrap up the week here on "Jeopardy!"
America's rocket pioneer, Robert Goddard, was the correct response to our final yesterday, and none of the players got it.
But Sam, our returning champion, was left with the most money, and that's why he's back today to face Benjamin and Kirk.
Gentlemen, welcome, good luck. Here we go. Categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LEGAL MATTERS (5/5)
THE BIBLE BOOK IMMEDIATELY BEFORE (2/2)
PUNCTUATION EQUIVOCATION? (3/4)
THE MOVIE MAP (4/5)
THINGS & STUFF (5/5)
THE VIETNAM WAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Benjamin: 7 R, 1 W
Kirk: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Sam had $400, Benjamin was scoreless, and Kirk was at $200. Sam wagered $1,000.

THE VIETNAM WAR $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Hanoi, Vietnam)

Only a small part of Hanoi's infamous Hoa La prison remains standing today. During the war, inmates such as John McCain gave it this ironic nickname, reflecting the lack of hospitality they found there.

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Benjamin: $4,000
Sam: $2,200
Kirk: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kirk Nelson is from Seattle, Washington. Now, he had a raccoon problem.
Kirk: That's right.
Alex: And you were told different ways to deal with that problem. What are some of the ways, and what, if anything, worked?
Kirk: Well, I heard blasting loud music would help eradicate them, so I did see --
Alex: That just makes them dance.
Kirk: Well, it did, actually. I thought they were leaving, but then I think they brought back more, and I just learned, apparently, they're reggae music fans.
[ laughter ]
Alex: I was right. I was joking, and it worked.

Alex: Benjamin Recchie is from Chicago, Illinois, and his first job out of college --and perhaps my son, who is a senior in college right now, could think about this. Your first job was...
Benjamin: I worked at Yerkes Observatory in Wisconsin, hunting killer asteroids.
Alex: How do you hunt killer asteroids? You spend all day at a telescope?
Benjamin: All night. You take a telescope and you take an image of the same piece of sky over and over again and then you compare and see if anything's moving. If something's moving, that means it's probably moving pretty fast, it's in our solar system --it's probably an asteroid or a comet. Now, I didn't find any killer asteroids. I don't know if that's because I'm just not very good at it, or maybe they're just not out there. I really hope it's the latter.
Alex: Okay, thank you.

Alex: Sam Hopkins is our champion. He has a 1-year-old --boy or girl?
Sam: Boy.
Alex: Boy --who has determined that the best barbecue is what kind?
Sam: Kansas City barbecue.
Alex: And has he determined this because he gets the most sauce all over his face when nibbling on it?
Sam: He is a fan of sauce, but I think the roots of his, you know, taste go back to smelling Kansas City barbecue before he had teeth. He couldn't eat it and we got back to Baltimore from a visit to my parents and he sprouted his first two teeth right then, so he made sure that, next time, he'd get some.
Alex: Okay, chew up that barbecue.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MOVIE MAP $1000: An Orson Welles classic: "The Lady From ___"

PUNCTUATION EQUIVOCATION? $1000: Preceding "off", it means "to hurry away"; preceding "down", it means "to write hastily
(Benjamin: What is ... jot?)

(Sam: What is scribble?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sam: $6,400
Benjamin: $3,800
Kirk: $1,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri May 31, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SMALLER THAN TULSA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BERRIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD SERIES MVPs BY POSITION (5/5)
ADD AN E (5/5) (Alex: In this next category, you will [*] to come up with your response which will be two different words.)
CODA (5/5)
CHROME (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kirk: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sam: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Benjamin: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sam had $10,000, Benjamin had $4,200, and Kirk was at $7,800. Sam wagered $5,000.

SMALLER THAN TULSA $2000: In 1530 the Holy Roman Emperor gave it to the order of St. John of Jerusalem as a base against the Turks
(Sam: What is Crete?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kirk who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Sam had $5,800, Benjamin had $5,400, and Kirk was at $9,800. Kirk wagered $2,000.

BERRIES $1600: This berry is known as framboos by the Dutch
(Alex: [*], yes. Sounds like the French, framboise.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHROME $400: Due to its varied appearance, chromium takes its name from the Greek word for this
(Benjamin: What is rainbow?)
(Kirk: What is spectrum?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kirk: $18,200 (lock game)
Sam: $9,000
Benjamin: $9,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC NOVELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; prisoner's dilemma for second place.
Kirk: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Sam: Bet $0 or $9,000.
Benjamin: Likewise, wager $0 or $9,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In his will, this title guy tells his niece Antonia she should marry a man who knows not "about...chivalry"

FINAL SCORES
Benjamin: $9,000 - $8,994 = $6 (Who is Ivanhoe?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sam: $9,000 + $4,500 = $13,500 (Who is Don Quixote?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kirk: $18,200 - $0 = $18,200 (Who is ?) (New champion: $18,200)
(Alex: Oh, who was this chivalrous knight?
[revealing Sam's response]
Who is [*] de La Mancha?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kirk: $17,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sam: $13,600, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Benjamin: $9,000, 13 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Sam: 21/60 = .350
Kirk: 19/59 = .322
Benjamin: 13/58 = .224
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE VIETNAM WAR $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Vietnam)

On November 24, 1963, just two days after taking office, this man, who escalated the war, told his advisers, "I'm not going to lose Vietnam.
I'm not going to let Vietnam
go the way of China."

THE VIETNAM WAR $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Vietnam)

For more than a decade, U.S. and South Vietnamese
forces fought Vietcong guerrillas for control of Vietnam's rice bowl, this fertile region near the Mekong River's mouth.

THE VIETNAM WAR $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Hanoi, Vietnam)

Reminders of the war
are everywhere in Vietnam. A small lake in a quiet Hanoi neighborhood still holds wreckage of one of these giant U.S. bombers that attacked the city in December 1972.

THE VIETNAM WAR $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Vietnam)

The climactic moment of the war came when, after more than 20 years of fighting, North Vietnamese tanks burst through the gates of Saigon's Presidential Palace on April 30th of this year.

THE MOVIE MAP $800: Nick Nolte as TJ: "Jefferson In ___"
Kirk: What is Virginia?

PUNCTUATION EQUIVOCATION? $600: An NHL game has at least 3 of these that are 20 minutes apiece
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go)

WORLD SERIES MVPs BY POSITION $400: Derek Jeter
(2000) &
Edgar Renteria
(2010)
(Alex: That's the position.)

BERRIES $2000: In the book "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory", Violet Beauregarde turns into one of these berries
(Sam: What is a snozzberry?)

CHROME $2000: Chrome is used as a refractory, meaning it has an unusually high one of these
(lBenjamin: What is a boiling point?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Hanoi Hilton
Shanghai
dash
Malta
the raspberry
color
Don Quixote
Lyndon Johnson
the Mekong Delta
a B-52
Paris
periods
shortstop
a blueberry
melting point

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Classic Novels
In his will, this title guy tells his niece Antonia she should marry a man who knows not "about...chivalry".

SpoilerShow
Who is Don Quixote? Benjamin said Ivanhoe; Kirk had no guess.

Kirk Nelson: $18,200-$0=$18,200...now a 1-day champion with $18,200
Sam Hopkins: $9,000+$4,500=$13,500
Benjamin Recchie: $9,000-$8,994=$6
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri May 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Way to go, Kirk. The first round was pretty bad, not even finishing it, but then Kirk takes command in DJ and nabs the lock by the slimmest of margins. One of Kirk's gets falls the old champ's way and we have a different outcome.

I got FJ, but wasn't 100% certain. The name mentioned sounded Spanish, so I went with DQ.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri May 31, 2013 6:11 pm

I'll leave my facepalming over the FJ wagers (except for Kirk's) to someone else and just give my congrats to a fellow boardie! Looking forward to Monday!

I will, however, approach the bench and ask the judges about the CHROME $1200 clue: Kirk (?) said "rusting", I said "oxidation". Would I be counted right? BMSed? Negged?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri May 31, 2013 6:19 pm

I don't know the exact wording of the clue, but I'd say oxidation would work. I was surprised a guy who speaks eleven languages didn't get the one about the Greek word in the chrome category.

I didn't get any of the wagers...Kirk could have bet $199!!!!!!!!

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Fri May 31, 2013 7:27 pm

So I lied, this was actually a pretty good episode. Not quite as many good gets as yesterday, but still many, with some strong betting. I don't have any big quibbles with the questions, either, except for the "dash down" one. Really, just reference Mrs. Dash next time, ok?

Congrats to "This is Kirk!" for the lock, though somewhat assisted by strong work by the guy in the middle there at the end.

I didn't have much trouble with FJ and I found it to be a reasonable question. I figured someone might opt for Wally Scott.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Fri May 31, 2013 7:29 pm

dhkendall wrote:I'll leave my facepalming over the FJ wagers (except for Kirk's) to someone else and just give my congrats to a fellow boardie! Looking forward to Monday!

I will, however, approach the bench and ask the judges about the CHROME $1200 clue: Kirk (?) said "rusting", I said "oxidation". Would I be counted right? BMSed? Negged?
You'd be right

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri May 31, 2013 7:35 pm

Congrats Kirk! Very well played.

That last clue, I wouldn't have buzzed in. It didn't matter (and wouldn't have anyway assuming everyone wagers properly), but if given a choice between sealing the lock game and at least allowing for the possibility of FJ wagering shenanigans, I'd take my chances. *shrug*

Today's NHOI: 'dash down'.

FJ threw me for a loop. None of the information rang any bells, and I spent a good 25 seconds repeating Antonia to myself, trying to spark even a glimmer of recognition. No dice. In desperation, I made the chivalry -> Don Quixote connection with barely a second to spare. Whatever. If there was a wrong path to follow, I sure sprinted down it this week. What a dismal week.

BaltimoreBoy
Valued Contributor

Post by BaltimoreBoy » Fri May 31, 2013 7:54 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:That last clue, I wouldn't have buzzed in. It didn't matter (and wouldn't have anyway assuming everyone wagers properly), but if given a choice between sealing the lock game and at least allowing for the possibility of FJ wagering shenanigans, I'd take my chances. *shrug*
The players don't always have a good sense of what the scores are in the "heat" of the game. The only way to see the scores is to look away from the board, look slightly to your left, and then look up into the lights. You're advised not to look for the scores during the game unless it's a DD (which I, sadly, never had the pleasure) -- and, of course, for your FJ wagering (which is during a break anyway). So, I'm sure that the players who are on the edge of a lock often do not know how under/over that lock-point they are as play occurs -- especially when the last clue(s) come up. So, I say: play 'em all out. But, that's just my opinion.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:Congrats Kirk! Very well played.

That last clue, I wouldn't have buzzed in. It didn't matter (and wouldn't have anyway assuming everyone wagers properly), but if given a choice between sealing the lock game and at least allowing for the possibility of FJ wagering shenanigans, I'd take my chances. *shrug*
Are you referring to Benjamin buzzing in on the last clue? That would be assuming you'd even be aware of the exact scores at the time and decide to clam based on the scores. Plus, you are in a buzzer race for the translation of an Italian word with a guy who speaks eleven languages.

But suppose Sam had gotten in and gotten it right (I checked the tape and he seemed to be pushing the buzzer). That would have made the scores.......

Kirk $18,200
Sam $10,600
Benjamin $7,400

Kirk, being a boardie and knowing of all things wagering related, bets $3,001, making his MSBIW score $15,199, thus making it impossible for Benjamin to win.

Had Sam and Ben finished the game tied, who gets the $2,000?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri May 31, 2013 7:58 pm

While I was pulling for Kirk, I also wish Benjamin had won, he seemed like he was having a lot of fun up there. But, sadly, his correcting of Alex during the interview sealed his fate.

ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav » Fri May 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Nice one, Kirk!!!

-ahir

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Fri May 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Scoffed at "World Series by Position." Could've run it with just the years-- and only needed one in each clue, at that! :mrgreen:
Another good "sussable" FJ. Not a gimmie but workable if you travel the right path, and I did.

Nice job Kirk!

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Fri May 31, 2013 8:30 pm

Don Quixote (which I'm used to spelling Don Quijote, which is how it's spelled now in Spanish) was my "just have something down" answer that I came up with at the last second since I couldn't think of any other title knights.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri May 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Paucle wrote:Scoffed at "World Series by Position." Could've run it with just the years-- and only needed one in each clue, at that! :mrgreen:
Another good "sussable" FJ. Not a gimmie but workable if you travel the right path, and I did.

Nice job Kirk!
Yes, the MVP was an easy run, we didn't even have to puzzle out which outfield spot someone was in.

Leander

Post by Leander » Fri May 31, 2013 8:47 pm

Now I don't feel so bad about coming up with Ivanhoe, although I couldn't quite figure how he would have a niece named Antonia.

Somehow Don Q never came to mind.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 pm

Bamaman wrote:

Are you referring to Benjamin buzzing in on the last clue? That would be assuming you'd even be aware of the exact scores at the time and decide to clam based on the scores. Plus, you are in a buzzer race for the translation of an Italian word with a guy who speaks eleven languages.

But suppose Sam had gotten in and gotten it right (I checked the tape and he seemed to be pushing the buzzer). That would have made the scores.......

Kirk $18,200
Sam $10,600
Benjamin $7,400

Kirk, being a boardie and knowing of all things wagering related, bets $3,001, making his MSBIW score $15,199, thus making it impossible for Benjamin to win.

Sam would have gotten it, since he was in second place going into FJ.

Congratulations, Kirk!

I had no idea on FJ. All I could think of was My Antonia, and I knew that wasn't right.

Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B » Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Bamaman wrote:

Kirk $18,200
Sam $10,600
Benjamin $7,400

I realize it's unlikely, but Kirk might have rung in on the last clue and got it wrong, leaving the door open to Benjamin and Sam. Not that there's time to do the calculating on the fly but...stuff happens.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Fri May 31, 2013 10:22 pm

Brilliant performance, Kirk!

Should've gotten Quixote, but didn't get there.