Friday, June 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6625, 2013-06-07

CONTESTANTS
Susan Torsell-Damico, a retired bookseller from Hamburg, New York
Tim Anderson, a Spanish professor from Rockford, Illinois
Greg Draves, an MBA student from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen.
And welcome back to our champion, Greg, whose favorite cereal is Cap'n Crunch. I know that because he told me at the end of yesterday's program.
And, also, that was the correct response that enabled him to become champion on our last show.
Tim and Susan, welcome aboard. Good luck.
Here we go, Jeopardy! Round. Categories --what are they? Let's find out.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALICE IN WONDERLAND (5/5)
WILL THE REAL CHEMICAL ELEMENT PLEASE STAND UP? (5/5)
EUROPEAN HOLIDAYS (4/5)
LIFE OF BRIAN (4/5)
TIME FOR SOME HAIR CARE (5/5)
SPLIT "N"s (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response wil begin with an "n" and end with an "n".

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 13 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Greg: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Susan: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tim: $5,200
Greg: $0
Susan: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: She is a retired bookseller, who, on Shakespeare's birthday last year, took part in a world book night?
Susan: World book night.
Alex: What is that?
Susan: It's a program sponsored by the U.N. where books are given away. So I had 20 books to just give to people, hoping it would spark an interest in reading.
Alex: And do these books go to people here in the United States or do they go to foreign countries where they are trying to learn English, for instance?
Susan: Well, this was in the U.S.
Alex: In the U.S., but is there a world book program that would send books abroad?
Susan: I would think so.
Alex: Yeah. That would be a good idea.
Susan: Yes.
Alex: Maybe you can look into that for me.
Susan: Okay.
Alex: Thank you.

Alex: Tim Anderson from Rockford, Illinois --We introduced him as a Spanish professor, but it was not always so. Once philosophy?
Tim: I did. I taught philosophy for about 10 years and then decided to change my area, went back to grad school, and --
Alex: Well, what was the one thing that perhaps changed for you?
Tim: I went to Puerto Vallarta in 2000, and it was before I had started studying Spanish, and I thought, "well, this is ridiculous. I should be able to speak Spanish." So I went home and started taking classes and finished my master's five years later.
Alex: Good for you.

Alex: All right. Now we come to our champion, Greg Draves. For those of you who wonder if it's difficult to get on "Jeopardy!" listen to our champion. How many times and over a period of how many years have you taken our tests
In your attempts to be a contestant? It is very difficult.
Greg: I've probably taken the test at least 12 times and passed almost every time. The first time was in 1988, when my dad and I drove down to Memphis for the Teen Tournament test.
Alex: So we're talking about 25 years.
Greg: Yeah. That's right.
Alex: But you're here now.
Greg: I'm here. I have some money.
Alex: And you have money. You're the champ.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Greg had $1,000, Tim had $5,800, and Susan was at $200. Tim wagered $1,200.

SPLIT "N"s $600: A doc who cuts into the brain
(Tim: What is a neurologian?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EUROPEAN HOLIDAYS $1000: October 23 in this country is National Day, the day in 1956 when it rose up against Soviet rule
(Greg: What is Finland?)

LIFE OF BRIAN $600: This Rolling Stone who died in 1969 played marimba on "Under My Thumb" & sitar on "Paint It Black"

SPLIT "N"s $1000: A state's suspension of certain federal laws; S.C. attempted it with tariff laws in 1832
(Tim: What is negation?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $5,400
Greg: $4,400
Susan: $1,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CARNY ART (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DRINKS (4/5)
4-LETTER COUNTRY NAMES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SAME ROLE, SAME FILM (5/5)
WORLD WAR II (3/5)
THE END "ZONE" (5/5) (Alex: "Zone" is gonna come up in each correct response)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Susan: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Greg: 7 R (including 1 DD), 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Susan snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Greg had $4,000, Tim had $9,400, and Susan was at $4,800. Susan wagered $3,000.

4-LETTER COUNTRY NAMES $1600: A Pacific island republic
(Alex: You have enough money -- $4,800 -- to take the lead away from Tim.)
(Susan: I've been warned
about you, Alex. [ laughter ]
I'll bet $3,000.)
(Alex: All right. Well, obviously,the warning didn't work too much. Here is the clue.)
(Susan: What is Togo?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Greg who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Greg had $5,200, Tim had $12,200, and Susan was at $200. Greg wagered $4,000.

CARNY ART $1600: Here, Bruegel the Elder's workshop depicts, on one side, Carnival, and, on the other, this period that ends it.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD WAR II $1200: This air marshal's Luftwaffe hammered England, resulting in nearly 40,000 civilian deaths

WORLD WAR II $1600: On May 6, 1942 U.S. troops on this fortress island in Manila Bay surrendered to the Japanese

CARNY ART $2000: The weirdness of carnivals was a natural subject for painters following this -ism, like Rouault & Beckmann
(Greg: What is surrealism?)

(Susan: What is dadaism?)

DRINKS $1600: This energy drink that comes in flavors like Juiced Mango uses a star for the "A" in its name
(Susan: What is Arizona?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tim: $18,200 (lock game)
Greg: $8,800
Susan: $1,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN WRITERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Tim: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Greg: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,999 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Susan: You've no hope of catching up... unless Greg does something stupid. So risk $1,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Contemporary reviews called this writer "A Yankee Diogenes" & the "Concord Diogenes"

FINAL SCORES
Susan: $1,400 + $700 = $2,100 (Who is Thoreau?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Greg: $8,800 - $5,999 = $2,801 (Who was R. W. Emerson?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Tim: $18,200 - $200 = $18,000 (Who was Melville?) (New champion: $18,000)
(Alex: It would help if you knew Diogenes was the Greek philosopher who rejected luxury and lived a simple life.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $19,400, 24 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Greg: $6,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Susan: $4,400, 11 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Tim: 24/59 = .407
Greg: 16/59 = .271
Susan: 12/59 = .203
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALICE IN WONDERLAND $600: When Alice plays this game, live flamingoes serve as mallets and hedgehogs as the balls.

EUROPEAN HOLIDAYS $600: On February 10, the Maltese have a feast celebrating this New Testament epistle writer's shipwreck on the island
(Susan: Who is St. John?)

LIFE OF BRIAN $400: Brian Warner, from Ohio, remade himself as this shock rocker.

TIME FOR SOME HAIR CARE $400: Chocolate goes into a type of this post-shampoo product from Robert Max
(Alex: You know about hair [*]? [Laughter] Oh, nasty Alex. Nasty.)

WILL THE REAL CHEMICAL ELEMENT PLEASE STAND UP? $1000: Technium, techniqium, technetium
(Alex: The first artificially produced element.)

SAME ROLE, SAME FILM $400: Harrison Young & Matt Damon as James Francis Ryan (1998)
(Greg: What is The Sum of All Fears?)

WORLD WAR II $2000: This British field marshal was in charge of all Allied ground troops during D-Day
(Greg: Who is Rommel?)

DRINKS $2000: This traditional Greek wine is treated with pine tree resin, which gives it a distinct flavor of turpentine
(What is ouzo?)

DRINKS $800: There's a Marshmallow Madness variety of this rhyming brand of hot cocoa
(Alex: Correct, with less than a minute to go)

CARNY ART $800: In between cancans, he painted an advertisement for a Mardi Gras confetti-maker.

CORRECT RESPONSES
neurosurgeon
Hungary
Brian Jones
nullification
Fiji
Lent
Hermann Goering
Corregidor
expressionism
Rockstar
Thoreau
croquet
Paul
Marilyn Manson
conditioner
technetium
Saving Private Ryan
Montgomery
Retsina
Swiss Miss
Toulouse-Lautrec

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:04 pm

I wonder if my pronunciation of "sahn sien" would be acceptable for the last clue in DJ!? (I knew Saint-Saëns' name was pronounced rather strangely, but I'm hoping mine would be considered adequate given the spelling)

For some reason, Tim reminds me, in both looks and voice, of voice-over actor Rob Paulsen. (If you're unfamiliar with how he looks and sounds, here are two of my favourite videos that show him (the second is a must-see for Star Wars and animation fans, but very lengthy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WDusAgFq9I and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC ... IovyKd4KDw
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:04 pm

American Writers
Contemporary reviews called this writer "A Yankee Diogenes" & the "Concord Diogenes".

SpoilerShow
Who is Thoreau? Greg said Emerson; Tim said Melville.

Tim Anderson: $18,200-$200=$18,000...now a 1-day champion with $18,000
Greg Draves: $8,800-$5,999=$2,801
Susan Torsell-Damico: $1,400+$700=$2,100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leander

Post by Leander » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Pretty disappointed at the stand and stares and wrong answers (Rommel?), in the WW2 category. I guess it's really that remote these days. Some pretty wild guesses in some other categories, too.

Was at the point of flipping a coin between Emerson & Thoreau in FJ, then figured Diogenes fit Thoreau better, as Alex mentioned.

ACW

Post by ACW » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Okay, couldn't remember Montgomery, but ROMMEL??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:54 pm

20 right in J!, with two negs and two clams. Sweet.

Hungary was my only miss in Holidays.

That Chemical Elements category may be one of the toughest 5/5's I've ever managed.

Any reason I should know that Barbicide stuff is distinctly blue? I go to the barber all the time, and I've never seen the stuff.

Stupid miss with Alice Cooper for Marilyn Manson.

====

"I've been warned about you, Alex." XD

I just mentioned in another thread that I recently finished a history class which was extremely enjoyable, thanks to a strong teacher and enjoyable material. She's the second prof I've ever had who said they enjoyed having me as a student. However, she missed three classes due to family emergencies and/or her other job as an attorney, so we had to stop in the Depression. As a result, I still know bupkis about WWII.

"Zone" seemed upside down, my total brain fart on "calzone" notwithstanding. (Forgot the category and kept trying to get "stromboli" out of my head.)

Tried to precall 4 Letter Countries, but my mind went totally blank and I couldn't think of a single one. After the category wrapped up, I was surprised that Iraq/Iran didn't come up.

====

No guess on FJ!, so cue the joke response "Who is Sage on the Hudson?"

====
dhkendall wrote:Rob Paulsen
Hey, I recognize that name from you-know-what.

(I'll take "Burying the Hatchet" for $1,000, Alex.)
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

NoName84

Post by NoName84 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I focused on "Concord" rather than "Diogenes" but I still gave a correct response.

ACW

Post by ACW » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Paulsen was also Pinky.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Wow. for the eight week in a row, I'll be checking the "all 5" box. 41 straight FJs.
(What I wouldn't give to get just 2 or 3 in a row from the podium!)

The champ had a clutch last-clue get to secure the lock-out, though not much would've changed if he hadn't. He probably would've won $1,601 less.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:34 pm

ACW wrote:Paulsen was also Pinky.
Yeah, I believe he does Pinky in the Star Wars clip (the clip is about half a dozen prominent voice actors from such shows as Futurama, Fairly Odd Parents, and Batman, table reading the first hour or so of the script for Star Wars Episode IV using their characters' voices for the various characters (switching up every so often). I can't remember which character he was, but I do seem to recall Pinky did play one of the Star Wars characters. As I said, a must-watch for both fans of animation and Star Wars.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:After the category wrapped up, I was surprised that Iraq/Iran didn't come up.
They did in my house, I went with Iraq for the country where French soldiers were in 2013, then head-slapped when Mali was revealed (remembering Azwad). If Iraq or Iran would have showed up, it'd be in the top row most likely. (Fortunately for me, I know all the four-letter countries down cold, thanks to a TD I ran once where that was one of the questions. An easy way to remember them is, except for Fiji and most likely Peru, they're all places that aren't high on tourism lists.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:46 pm

ACW wrote:Okay, couldn't remember Montgomery, but ROMMEL??? :oops: :oops: :oops:
Yeah, this.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Narf.

(Really, dhkendall? Nothing? :P)
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MDCSWildcats86 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 pm

ACW wrote:Okay, couldn't remember Montgomery, but ROMMEL??? :oops: :oops: :oops:

And how about Hermann Goring?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Paucle wrote:Wow. for the eight week in a row, I'll be checking the "all 5" box. 41 straight FJs.
(What I wouldn't give to get just 2 or 3 in a row from the podium!)
Very nice streak. Congrats. I'll do my best to figure out which extra clues might get you. Bwahaha. Greg said it took him about 12 auditions and 25 years to get on. The process can stink, but never give up hope and keep trying.

My FJ streak ended at lucky 13. Off "Yankee" I wrote Twain. Concord is not Connecticut, so I knew I was wrong. Unfortunately, out here I always process Concord as NH unless Lexington is given as well. A writer from New Hampshire? I had no names and Franklin Pierce kept popping in. Before writing Brendan DuBois I had a late inspiration. The Hotel New Hampshire. Only because I instantly recalled the writer I had time to scribble Irving.

It was not until Susan's response was shown that the Massachusetts version of Concord hit me. My guess is I still would not have come up with Thoreau. Thoreau is a name the writers use a lot, so in American Writers I need to remember to always check on him.

Will The Real Chemical Element Please Stand Up? I'm counting 47 characters with spaces and the punctuation. That has to be one of the longest category names ever? At least the players had the sense to shorten the call of it. All of that for multiple choice? Hammer and I will get our $3000 in science wherever we can get them.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:51 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Narf.

(Really, dhkendall? Nothing? :P)
Ummm, I think so, Brain, but a ten pound hammer would be pretty blunt and unwieldy now, wouldn't it.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 pm

I also had Twain, nothing else was coming. A blah game to end a rather blah week of games.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:59 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Stupid miss with Alice Cooper for Marilyn Manson..)
Not a horrible mistake. Manson stole his whole character from Alice and they are on tour together this summer.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:59 pm

dhkendall wrote:Ummm, I think so, Brain, but a ten pound hammer would be pretty blunt and unwieldy now, wouldn't it.
Well played, but I meant that I was surprised you had no reaction to this:
(I'll take "Burying the Hatchet" for $1,000, Alex.)
ETA: And no response to the below, either?
I just mentioned in another thread that I recently finished a history class which was extremely enjoyable, thanks to a strong teacher and enjoyable material. She's the second prof I've ever had who said they enjoyed having me as a student. However, she missed three classes due to family emergencies and/or her other job as an attorney, so we had to stop in the Depression.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:26 pm

I got FJ fairly quickly, but got it in spite of myself. Like another poster, I focused on the "Concord," but thought of New Hampshire, not Massachusetts. New Hampshire led me to Franklin Pierce, and I remembered that Pierce and Thoreau were friends in college. Or so I thought. Come to find out I was thinking of Hawthorne, not Thoreau. That has got to be most faulty path I've ever used and still gotten an FJ right.