Friday, June 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6630, 2013-06-14

CONTESTANTS
Eric Maitland, a telecommunications supply attendant from San Diego, California
John Kimball, a software consultant from Parkville, Missouri
Matt Noble, a math professor originally from Mobile, Alabama (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,390)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. All right, it's the end of the week. Matt, who became champion yesterday, wants to earn more money. John and Eric are here to stop him and to earn money for themselves. Let's see what happens. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! round, one daily double round, and these categories. First...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HAVING FUN AROUND THE WORLD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WEIRD HISTORY (4/5)
"U" KNOW IT (5/5)
I HAVE A PARTICULAR SET OF SKILLS (5/5)
A NIGHTMARE FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU (5/5)
LIAM NEESON (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Eric: 10 R, 0 W
Matt: 8 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Matt had no money, John had $1,000, and Eric was at $400. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

HAVING FUN AROUND THE WORLD $800: Visiting the "Anne of Green Gables" house in this smallest Canadian province

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $4,800
Matt: $3,200
Eric: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Maitland is from San Diego and he has had quite an interesting invitation from the Japanese government, I hear. What is it?

Eric: Yes, I learned to play the koto in college, which is an old Japanese instrument.

Alex: And what does it look like?

Eric: It's about 6 feet long, 13 strings, and you pluck it with your fingers.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Eric: And my original teacher, when she went back to Japan, convinced the government to sponsor an exchange concert, and I was one of the lucky students who she brought over, so, I got an all-expenses-paid trip to Japan.

Alex: Just to play the koto?

Eric: Just to play the koto.

Alex: Do you play it for relaxation at home, as well?

Eric: Uh, it's been a while since I've played it, but it is very relaxing.

Alex: Yes, it is.

Alex: John Kimball, a software consultant from Parkville, Missouri, who has one of the strangest diets I have ever encountered. Tell us about that.

John: Uh, I eat, I have a huge sweet tooth, and uh, so I kind of deprive myself during the week and then one day every weekend, I'll eat, you know, five or six thousand calories of jelly beans and cookies and ice cream--whatever I can get my hands on.

Alex: You don't look overweight. So obviously, it's working.

Alex: How much weight have you lost?

John: It has. I've done it for about two years, and I've lost uh, 25 pounds.

Alex: Way to go. So jelly beans, chocolates, candy bars, everything like that --
it's only on Saturdays.

John: Only on Saturdays.

Alex: Okay. Never on Sundays.

Alex: All right, Matt Noble is a math professor. He is our champion. Is it true your wedding
reception was held in a barn?

Matt: Okay, so that's sort of understating things slightly. I mean, it was a classy barn. It didn't have, like, hay everywhere and animals roaming about, but, yes, it was a barn. It was pretty fun.

Alex: And who made that decision?

Matt: Uh, the wife. No, I sort of helped.

Alex: And what is "the wife's" name?

Matt: Uh, Abby.

Alex: Abby. Okay, good, I just wanna get you back in good with her. [Laughter.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WEIRD HISTORY $800: In the 1700s, Peter the Great imposed a 100-ruble tax on nobles who wore one of these & a 1-kopeck tax on commoners
(Alex: If you had a [*], you were going to be taxed.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $7,000
Matt: $5,400
Eric: $5,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
APOLLO 11 (5/5)
YOU SIX-Y THING (5/5)
AUTHORS: BORN & DIED (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A CASE OF A_D_D (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with an "A", and then there'll be some "D"'s in there, separated.)
TV TIME (5/5)
VIOLIN MUSIC (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eric: 13 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Matt: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
John: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Matt had $7,400, John had $8,200, and Eric was at $10,000. Eric wagered $3,000.

AUTHORS: BORN & DIED $1200: Born in 1917 in England;
died in 2008 (not 2001) in Sri Lanka
(Alex: [*], the author of 2001: A Space Odyssey.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Eric who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Matt had $13,000, John had $12,200, and Eric was at $15,800. Eric wagered $2,500.

VIOLIN MUSIC $1600: This style of violin playing with short strokes of the bow follows "Hora" in the title of a famous piece

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHORS: BORN & DIED $800: Born in Russia in 1920; died some 500 books & 72 years later in New York City
(Matt: Who is Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn?)
(Eric: Who is Novikov?)
(Aex: The author is [*]--500 works.)

AUTHORS: BORN & DIED $1600: Born in Scotland
in 1850;
Died in Samoa
in 1894

VIOLIN MUSIC $2000: Bariolage, "an odd mixture", is playing with fingered strings along with this, a string not touched with the left hand
(Alex: It's called [*].)

A CASE OF A_D_D $1600: Accepted without opposition; it can precede "by the rules"
(Alex: The word we're looking for is [*] by the rules.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Eric: $20,300
Matt: $14,200
John: $12,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE UNITED NATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Eric: Wager $8,101 to cover Matt.
Matt: You ought to wager to cover John, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $14,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $11,000 (to shut out John) or less than $2,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by John). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Eric.
John: Consider risking $400, thereby beating Eric on the Triple Stumper (should Eric wager to cover Matt's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of nations in the World Almanac, 3 are not U.N. members: Taiwan, Vatican City & this European one that gained independence in 2008

FINAL SCORES
John: $12,600 + $0 = $12,600 (What is Kosovo?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matt: $14,200 + $1,000 = $15,200 (What is Kosovo?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Eric: $20,300 + $8,101 = $28,401 (What is Kosovo?) (New champion: $28,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Eric: $17,600, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Matt: $14,200, 16 R, 1 W
John: $12,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $44,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Eric: 24/60 = .400
John: 18/59 = .305
Matt: 17/58 = .293
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HAVING FUN AROUND THE WORLD $600: Enjoying a musical performance at this venue

LIAM NEESON $800: If you want a Kraken released, Liam is just the guy to give the command, as he did as this character in 2010
(Alex: [*], Clash of the Titans.)

I HAVE A PARTICULAR SET OF SKILLS $200: The act of parachuting into a forest fire gives this job its name
[Eric's response of "firejumper" was originally ruled as incorrect, but this was reversed before the Double Jeopardy! round.]

TV TIME $800: Nick Offerman, seen here, plays Ron Swanson on this sitcom

YOU SIX-Y THING $800: In the "12 Days Of Christmas", you get this fowl on the 6th day
(Alex: [*]--[*] a-laying.)

APOLLO 11 $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an image of the moon on a monitor.) Despite its name, this landing area does have craters. Neil Armstrong had to manually pilot the lunar module to a spot four miles from the original landing site

APOLLO 11 $1600: Apollo 11 blasted off from Cape Kennedy aboard one of these mighty rockets
(Eric: What is a Titan?)

APOLLO 11 $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an animation of a rocket on a monitor.) The Apollo 11 spacecraft consisted of the lunar module Eagle and this module named Columbia

CORRECT RESPONSES
Prince Edward Island
beard
(Arthur C.) Clarke
stacatto
Isaac Asimov
Robert Lewis Stevenson
an open string
abided
Kosovo
Sydney Opera House
Zeus
smokejumper (or firejumper)
Parks & Recreation
geese
the Sea Of Tranquility
a Saturn V
the command module
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not really a precall, but I was thinking of the Vatican during the last commercial break and thought it might be about non-members. I also thought they were going to reverse the fire jumpers neg.

A well played game with a gutsy bet by the outgoing champ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Said uprising instead of upheaval for a 4/5 in "U" Know It.

Never heard of Salisbury Plain. ONCE AGAIN I somehow get it in my head that Kilimanjaro is in Japan, and can't get it out of my head, even when I know that it's wrong. Nailed Sydney Opera House, clammed on PEI, and no clue on $1000.

There are forest fires around me all the time, yet I've never heard of a smoke jumper/fire jumper.

====

Biggest Loser was my only get in TV.

$1200 was my only get in Six-y because of this song.

Can't believe I locked up on the 12 Days of Christmas clue. Tried to start at 7, but couldn't remember what 7 is either.

Was also drawing a total blank on Clarke on the Authors DD. I think smoke came out of my cranium in my desperation.

"Abided" was my only miss in A_D_D since I didn't know that was a word.

Thought "staccato" didn't feel right on the Violin DD. "Open" was a major headslap — my mind wandered momentarily and I was failing to understand what "not touched by the left hand" meant. It means "not touched by the left hand". Like an open string on a guitar, bass, mandolin, all of which you play, Hammer, you dumbass.

====

Kosovo's in Europe?!? I was thinking it was farther east into Asia.

I'm guessing the other two guys had zero confidence in the category, hence the wimpy wagers.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

It's been a while since I watched a game involving three good players. It was a nice way to end the week.

I happily picked up the Lach trash on Isaac Asimov. I'm currently reading his book "Beginnings."

It took a few seconds, but I managed to come up with the correct FJ response.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Said uprising instead of upheaval for a 4/5 in "U" Know It.
Same here. That was my only neg of the night -- well, I might have had one more, depending on how I gauge my ability to say "Tarantella".

I got FJ, but I didn't know it with a capital K. I pretty much knew it would be one of the pieces of the former Yugoslavia, and Kosovo "sounded right" in that I'm pretty sure I've heard people recently talking about it not being a UN member. So I wrote down Kosovo. But I retained a small sliver of doubt, and if I was allowed second and third picks, they would have been Montenegro and Macedonia (which I sometimes get mixed up with one another).

I ran "Authors: Born and Died", and wasn't surprised, since I consider celebrity deaths to be one of my wheelhouses, morbid as that may be.

EDIT: And yes, this was a very good game. Excellent performances by all three players. No shame in not coming in first in this one.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

I remembered an FJ! clue about Montenegro gaining independence, but then saw the clue was from July 2007 and it gained independence in 2006.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Did very well on this game, and as other former contestants have said, "Oh why oh why wasn't this game written for me?"

As a space buff, swept Apollo 11.

As an author, well, you know...

FJ was an Instaget for me.

And the wagering at the end seemed... odd.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Leander

Post by Leander »

Was a little puzzled by FJ at first, since I couldn't think of a country gaining independence that recently in Europe. Then figured it must be in the Balkans, and gave Kosovo a shot without 100% certainty, knowing it had been under dispute in the Balkan Wars.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another sloppy board. There were some good clues, but there were still a lot of trivial clues and overvalued clues. I went 5/5 in it but I thought that the "Authors Born and Died" category was garbage. I also couldn't believe that "abdicated" was a bottom of the board clue.

Despite the board this was an excellent game with three great players. The guy in the middle reminded me of Ken Jennings, at the beginning of the episode when he dominated on the buzzer.

I got FJ just in time. Kosovo was my first thought but I couldn't remember if it actually had gained independence. I considered Montenegro briefly and then realized that it was independent well before 2008, so it had to be Kosovo. I did like that FJ clue.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Instaget FJ! There aren't that many countries gaining independence these days, and even fewer in Europe. Good game. I'm happy to be on summer break and watching live for a couple months :)

About wagering- second place did just fine. I liked it. I checked the calculator and he was in Stratton's Dilemma and picked the conservative route. I'll let others comment further since I can't identify these situations on my own quite yet. Third didn't really help himself, though.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy FJ which seemed somewhat familiar. I thought RL Stevenson & Asimov were stunning misses but then again, I missed Clarke, thinking Naipaul who might still be around. Good game all around & let's hope we have a good run by the new winner.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

I was a little perplexed by the question about the Macedonian general/bodyguard of Alexander the Great. I figured it had to be a Ptolemy, but was afraid to ring in because I didn't know which one. Turns out Ptolemy was all they needed.
Looking at Wikipedia, there were LOTS of Ptolemys, including two that were bodyguards for Alexander the Great. Why was there no 'be more specific'? Even though I don't know what could be said to distinguish between most of them. Did the judges just decide that a generic 'Ptolemy' was good enough?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The scores before FJ were:

Eric: $20,300
Matt: $14,200
John: $12,600

Eric's MSBIW score is $12,199, which put him just below John's pre-FJ score. So John bet zero, knowing he could beat him if they were both wrong and Eric makes the MSB, which he did.

Matt correctly assumed John would bet no more than $400 and bet $1,000. That protects him if john bets zero and also beats him if John bets $1,601. A gutsy wager that gets him a win if Eric is wrong.

I'd like to thank Sporcle for helping me get FJ.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I was keeping track of the news at the time, so I knew Kosovo instantly. Take THAT, Dad!

There was an NWS warning out for us at the beginning of the show, but it didn't cut out any of the clues. I missed last night's show on the way home from college orientation, so the only way I'm going to have of knowing the outgoing champ's Thursday score is cyberspace. (Fortunately, we all know where I can get it, and the people who know the reasoning behind my current rank know I know.)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The Nightmare category in the J! round had a question about the group featuring Kim Deal(The Pixies). Kim Deal announced she was leaving the group this week.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StrangerCoug wrote:I missed last night's show on the way home from college orientation, so the only way I'm going to have of knowing the outgoing champ's Thursday score is cyberspace.
There is a lot more in cyberspace than this board. But I am sure we can revel in knowing that we are the most important thing in cyberspace.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

bpmod wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:I missed last night's show on the way home from college orientation, so the only way I'm going to have of knowing the outgoing champ's Thursday score is cyberspace.
There is a lot more in cyberspace than this board. But I am sure we can revel in knowing that we are the most important thing in cyberspace.

Brian
Hence the parenthesized sentence in my post.

Edited to add: And as of right this second, only FJ! has had its clue entered and the final scores are as if only FJ! happened. Is that normal when a game's being added in piecemeal?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StrangerCoug wrote:Edited to add: And as of right this second, only FJ! has had its clue entered and the final scores are as if only FJ! happened. Is that normal when a game's being added in piecemeal?
The first two posts in the daily thread are entered by the Archivists (a user created mostly for that purpose). They are placeholders until the game gets (fully) entered in the Archive, at which time they get updated (actually at precisely 7:03pm Eastern after said completion) to a detailed synopsis of the game. Very shortly after the placeholders are put in (which happens at 11:30am Eastern every day that Jeopardy! airs) Jeff drops by to put in a placeholder for the FJ clue and wagers. He usually gets back to update that post before the game is entered into the archive and the first two posts are updated. That is the case if you go to Thursday's thread at this moment.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Steppenwolf wrote:I was a little perplexed by the question about the Macedonian general/bodyguard of Alexander the Great. I figured it had to be a Ptolemy, but was afraid to ring in because I didn't know which one. Turns out Ptolemy was all they needed.
Looking at Wikipedia, there were LOTS of Ptolemys, including two that were bodyguards for Alexander the Great. Why was there no 'be more specific'? Even though I don't know what could be said to distinguish between most of them. Did the judges just decide that a generic 'Ptolemy' was good enough?
Anything more than Ptolemy would be too hard for Jeopardy!

The only one I missed in the author category was Asimov and he was the only one I've actually met.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.