FJs for the 6/10/13 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/10/13 week?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:52 pm

This French engineer once asked, "Why should we disguise the industrial nature of iron, even in the city?"
95%
This 1884 novel begins in the fictional town of St. Petersburg & ends in Pikesville, 1,100 miles down the Mississippi
88%
In terms of British monarchs, it's next in the sequence seventh, fifth, eighth, sixth...
86%
From 2005, it's the last Best Picture Oscar winner whose name is just one syllable
63%
Of nations in the World Almanac, 3 are not U.N. members: Taiwan, Vatican City & this European one that gained independence in 2008
57%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
35%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
No votes
FIVE-LETTER WORDS WITH 4 VOWELS $1200: It's a garlic-flavored mayonnaise of Provence
54%
END OF THE ALPHBET $800: Jacob Zuma has been president of this country since 2009
42%
WEIRD HISTORY $800: In the 1700s, Peter the Great imposed a 100-ruble tax on nobles who wore one of these & a 1-kopeck tax on commoners
42%
(The Adventures of) Tom Sawyer was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ clue.
6%
Dr. Brown soda from the Wednesday clue was not familiar to me.
56%

Total votes: 106

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: FJs for the 6/10/13 week

Post by Volante »

goforthetie wrote: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

You just had to pick the beard question, eh?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

You just had to pick questions other than the beard one, eh? :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

Didn't notice the category on Wednesday's clue; if I had, I'd have guessed correctly. As it was, I guessed First, with the wrong Elizabeth. I knew there wasn't someone between Henrys VII and VIII, but it otherwise worked.
I knew what Friday's clue was going for, but couldn't come up with the name, so I went with a wild guess of Chechnya.

Never heard of Zuma. As for beards, "wear" led me to jewelry/clothing, and so facial hair would never have come to mind.

Doctor Brown to me means time travel.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is the first time ever I get to check "I checked all five above"! Surely the first time to get 7 out of 8! And only Huck Finn was a WAG! (dancing in circles)
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:

Missed "Crash" due to my oft-lamented lack of Best Picture winners = f(year) [or, I guess, my rarely lamented lack of Best Picture winners = f(number of syllables)]. The only options I could come up with in 30 seconds were "Tron" and "Elf", but I was pretty sure neither of them took home the trophy. :lol:

NHO Jacob Zuma. I haven't made an effort to learn every single world leader; I tend to just try to retain the ones that I hear about or see in the news (and I guess if there's been any news about him, I must have missed it).

Got the Peter the Great fact because I knew it ahead of time, but I agree the phrasing was very poor - people have beards, they don't wear beards. Even AT said, after the clue was a TS, "If you had a beard, you were going to be taxed" (not "If you wore a beard, you were going to be taxed").
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: On Thursday, I wrote down Rent just to have something. The movie version was made in 2005, so I wasn't too far off. It won Best Musical Tony in 1996, but was not the last single syllable winner. Can anyone name it? (I had never heard of it).

Hint:
Spoiler
It won in 2012, the only single syllable winner since Rent.
Thanks for this Bamaman, as I looked up the list of recent Tony winners to see which musical was the last one-syllable winner, which just so happened to come in handy during Tuesday's game.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote: On Thursday, I wrote down Rent just to have something. The movie version was made in 2005, so I wasn't too far off. It won Best Musical Tony in 1996, but was not the last single syllable winner. Can anyone name it? (I had never heard of it).

Hint:
Spoiler

I guess it's sort of ironic that this musical was adapted from a movie.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:

Hint:
Spoiler
Thanks for this Bamaman, as I looked up the list of recent Tony winners to see which musical was the last one-syllable winner, which just so happened to come in handy during Tuesday's game.
Sadly, I couldn't remember it. :oops:
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:D :D :D :D :D
:( :( :D