Monday, June 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Now that was a cool FJ.

Am certainly no fashionista, but was Eric wearing a women's shirt?

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:45 pm

I enjoyed FJ! and got it pretty quickly. Fun game and think the champ has potential. Shame I'm about to go on vacation and won't see how he does for a week :D

I think Eric was just wearing a thin sweater, so some of the white shirt underneath showed through.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:51 pm

In the Newspaper
Her pen name honored a wise woman from the Old Testament & a 19th century U.S. President.

Spoiler
Show
Who is Abigail Van Buren or Dear Abby? Renee's response looked like an incomplete scribble; Eric said Ruth Lincoln.
Andrew Moore: $19,200+$12,001=$31,201...now a 1-day champion with $31,201
Eric Maitland : $15,600-$4,000=$11,600
Renee Hennessee: $5,200-$2,000=$3,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whammy007
Not Ready for Syndication Player

Post by whammy007 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Not a good day for me... all the Forrest Bouncing by Andrew really caught me off-guard, had me clamming with good responses or reaching with bad ones. That ended up extending into Final, where I should have come up with at least SOMETHING credible but spent the entire 30 hung up on the wrong parts of the clue entirely.

Still, getting over myself and my personal problems, the bounce approach seemed to work well for Andrew, and like Lisa, I think he could carry on for several days.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:02 pm

I wasn't sure what to do on FJ, so I wrote down......
Spoiler
Show
Dear Abby
Abigail Van Buren
Pauline Phillips

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Got only $200 in Weather and New York. That DD in Weather seemed totally impenetrable until fog was ruled right, and I said, "Oh yeah, duh, London." Just wasn't clicking at all.

4/5 in Anagrandma. Couldn't get Paul McCartney; was expecting someone already famous as a solo singer, not someone who was in a band at the time.

Also 4/5 in Children's Books, missing only Desperaux, which I didn't realize was a book first. Glad to see Stellaluna, as bats are definitely in my top 10 of favorite animals (currently reading Silverwing — so far, so good).

0/5 on the TV shows. I've watched none of those, and Grey's Anatomy and 2 Broke Girls are the only two of the five that I've heard of.

====

No hope on Female World Leaders. "Barbuda" is a place? Really? O.o

Missed only $2000 in Music Autobiographies, since "Who" flew over my head.

"Fence" was my only miss in Dictionary; didn't realize it had more than one meaning.

Couldn't make heads or tails of Geometry for $2000.

2/5 in North/South/East/West. Out of curiosity, are there other airlines with directional names? Feels like there are several.

====

Famous female newspaper writer. Ann Landers? No. Abby… um, what the heck was Abby's last name? Wait, is her pen name known at all? I thought she was just "Dear Abby" and that was it.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:29 pm

I wasted a good 22 seconds trying to attack this one from the Biblical end, to no avail. Finally ran through the presidents and hit Van Buren with time to spare.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 pm

LOL at Mr. Strategery hopping all around Forrest Bounce style, then passing over the obvious DD at the $1000 slot in the weather category at the end of the J round. BTW what a painful round. Some terrible questions (what was the theme in the grandma anagrams, again?) made all the worse by Mr. Strategery hopping all around the board. Everyone was clearly off rhythm.

It struck again when he hit the DD way too early in the DJ Round. You know, if you build up your cash a little, and maybe get a taste of the category's difficulty, you might bet more on a question that turned out to be a slam dunk. But, hey, it's not my money.

I am a big fan of the Forrest Bounce, but not when someone doesn't know how to use it. I tend to think jumping to the middle of the board doesn't do much to throw off your opponents. The question are still okay difficulty and they will still know them. Especially when you hop to a fairly obvious category like Geometry. And if you jump to the bottom, you better get those questions, and Mr. Strategery wasn't really doing that.

Alas, I knew he would he probably win. He seemed to know a little bit more than his opponents and that was borne out. I thought FJ was reasonable, but really it boiled down to me thinking of famous women in newspapers, and it had to be a columnist because of the "pen name" reference, and that led me to Van Buren.

Anyway, we are stuck with Mr. Strategery, probably for three days at least. Let's hope we get a better Forrest Bounce tomorrow.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Famous female newspaper writer. Ann Landers? No. Abby… um, what the heck was Abby's last name? Wait, is her pen name known at all? I thought she was just "Dear Abby" and that was it.
Her pen name is given under her column every day.

For the airlines, Eastern, Southern Airways and TransWestern are all defunct airlines.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Austin Powers wrote:Let's hope we get a better Forrest Bounce tomorrow.
Let's not. I find it unpleasant and distracting to watch. I won't root against him because of it, but I hope he tries a different strategy.

Also, I apparently suck at remembering who has died recently, since I don't remember reading about it in January (I didn't even know she lived that long, but I'm probably mixing her up with her sister).
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Austin Powers wrote:Some terrible questions (what was the theme in the grandma anagrams, again?)
The clues were all about someone's grandma. Not much of a theme, but there was one, and I picked up on it instantly to get Lach Trash on "Medicare".
Bamaman wrote:Her pen name is given under her column every day.
Which I didn't know, because I don't read it.
Bamaman wrote:For the airlines, Eastern, Southern Airways and TransWestern are all defunct airlines.
Airline categories always fluster me since I rarely fly, and even then, my only flights have all been United.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm

I think the grandma theme was just a clever way of slightly altering the word anagram and they had grandma doing anagramed things. I also missed McCartney by looking for a solo 1960s singer.

I didn't like his bouncing. He seemed to take too long to pick the next clue and the whole game (especially the first round) seemed to drag.

A bad DD bet by the outgoing champ at the end. He left himself too far behind to catch up unless he could run the rest of the board. But he did make a good FJ bet. It assured him second and he stayed above the leader's MSBIW score.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Bamaman wrote:I think the grandma theme was just a clever way of slightly altering the word anagram and they had grandma doing anagramed things. I also missed McCartney by looking for a solo 1960s singer.

I didn't like his bouncing. He seemed to take too long to pick the next clue and the whole game (especially the first round) seemed to drag.

A bad DD bet by the outgoing champ at the end. He left himself too far behind to catch up unless he could run the rest of the board. But he did make a good FJ bet. It assured him second and he stayed above the leader's MSBIW score.
You have to be a Baddazz to do the Bounce, and while he's pretty good he's not a Baddazz.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I was proud of myself for figuring out the "fog" DD.

At first, just concentrating on how the sentence could be meaningfully completed, I thought, "Well, almost any word could be there." But then I thought, "There must be a way to figure it out -- something must be hinting at the correct response. The category is about weather, and what weather is stereotypically associated with London?"

Mulling over the FJ category during the commercial break, I was expecting the clue to be one of those etymological ones where they talk about the origins of a word or phrase. Perhaps something along the lines of "What is a masthead?" or "What is op-ed?"

When the clue was revealed, I first thought of Ann Landers but then realized there was no President Landers. Her sister then quickly came to mind.

What I wrote down on my little pad at home was

Who is ABIGAIL VAN BUREN? ("Dear Abby")

I didn't really need to write the second part. If somebody only wrote down "Who is Dear Abby?", would they have been ruled incorrect? My guess is yes.

Fortunately for the contestants, none of them lost in that particular way. It would be frustrating if you knew they were talking about Dear Abby but didn't know the last name she used. It would be even more frustrating if you knew the name Van Buren, but just wrote down "Who is Dear Abby" and got ruled wrong!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm

skullturf wrote:I didn't really need to write the second part. If somebody only wrote down "Who is Dear Abby?", would they have been ruled incorrect? My guess is yes.
If they took Abigail van Buren, they'd have to take Dear Abby. Actually, the clue asked for "Her pen name", not "This pen name", so only Pauline Phillips should really have been accepted.

elijahjt
Contributor

Post by elijahjt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Her pen name is given under her column every day.

For the airlines, Eastern, Southern Airways and TransWestern are all defunct airlines.
Not to mention Northwest...

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 pm

She was known as Dear Abby, probably more than she was known as Abigail van Buren (in contrast, Ann Landers was pretty much just "Ann Landers."). So, I would take "Dear Abby." Frankly, I prefer that as an answer versus one where you could blindly toss up the name of a 19th century president and get it right.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Andrew played high school quiz bowl at a school that was one of my rivals and also has the same Alma mater that I have, so I was rooting for him. Congrats to Andrew on the win!

With the exception of the anagrams category and a few overvalued and undervalued clues I actually liked this board, though I would have embarrassed myself on it. I enjoyed the World leaders category but had no idea on the Costa Rica, Bangladesh, or Brazil clues. Shame on me.

I was happy that I picked up the Lach trash on Stellaluna from remembering a book that I read in 3rd grade.

I was expecting Andrew to go TDD on the Geometry clue. It would have worked out for him but would not have worked out for me if I was playing on it. I blanked on "analytical" at $1600 but knew "cone" at $2000 and thought that the latter was overvalued.

All I had for FJ was Ann Landers or Dear Abby. I was able to eliminate the former but wasn't confident that my response for the latter would be specific enough if it even was correct, but I was relieved to hear Alex say that "Dear Abby" was acceptable.