Wednesday, June 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6638, 2013-06-26

CONTESTANTS
Maggie Millikan, a homemaker from Midlothian, Virginia
Gabe Gales, a research analyst from Cincinnati, Ohio
Padraic Scanlan, a Ph.D. student in history originally from Montreal, Quebec, Canada (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. I'm gonna start off our program today with a question for you folks at home. Were you paying close attention at the end of yesterday's program when Padraic [pod-ric] or Padraic [pay-dric] became champion? Instead of saying, "you are the new Jeopardy! champion," I said, "you are the new Jeopardy! host."

[Laughter]

Alex: That may come back to haunt me. Gabe and Maggie, welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work in this first round, shall we? Here are the categories for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANAGRAMMED VIRGINIA PLACES (5/5)
RED ALERT (5/5)
ON THE TUBE (4/5)
MIDDLE "W" (5/5) (Alex: The letter "W" will come up in the middle of each correct response.)
STUPID ANSWERS (5/5)
YOU MUST BE PRESIDENT TO WIN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Maggie: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Gabe: 11 R, 1 W
Padraic: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gabe: $4,000
Maggie: $3,600
Padraic: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: A couple of days ago, by coincidence, we had a contestant standing where Maggie Millikan is right now who had adopted a retired greyhound. You have done the same thing with how many of them?

Maggie: With three. I've adopted three, Alex, and they've been wonderful dogs.

Alex: Are they easy to train?

Maggie: Yes, they are.

Alex: They're intelligent, then?

Maggie: They're intelligent. They've been trained at the track, so they learn to follow orders. They like a schedule. They like to know what's gonna happen, and they're big couch potatoes.

Alex: [laughing] Okay. I love it.

Alex: Gabe Gales is from Cincinnati, Ohio. This is a young man who enjoys relaxing. What do you do to relax in your spare time?

Gabe: Well, it's pretty dependent on the season, but it all involves being outside. So, when it's warmer out, you can find me on any body of water --lakes, rivers --fishing, mostly for largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, hybrid bass. And then when the weather's a little colder, it's too cold to fish, so I play a lot of disc golf.

Alex: What is disc golf?

Gabe: So disc golf, or Frisbee golf, is just like regular golf in that you're trying to get an object into a target, only in this case, it's a basket with chains rather than a hole. And it's --I wouldn't say considerably easier, but it is a little easier than ball golf.

Alex: But there's only one hole, only one basket.

Gabe: That's correct. That's right.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Padraic Scanlan, originally from Montreal, Quebec, is a Ph.D. student in history who is studying something in Sierra Leone.

Padraic: Yeah, I study the end of the British slave trade in Sierra Leone.

Alex: When did it end? Mid-1800s? Early-1800s?

Padraic: I mean, it officially ended 1807.

Alex: '07.

Padraic: But in my dissertation, you'll find out that that's not exactly true.

Alex: Oh-ho.

[Laughter]

Alex: You mean there are stories in history books that are not quite true?

Padraic: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Padraic found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Padraic had $1,600, Gabe had $4,000, and Maggie was at $5,200. Padraic wagered $1,400.

YOU MUST BE PRESIDENT TO WIN $600: The International Radio & Television Society gave him its gold medal as "America's most accomplished communicator"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON THE TUBE $600: Monica Potter is married to Peter Krause on this NBC show

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Maggie: $7,800
Gabe: $5,200
Padraic: $3,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE 4th CENTURY (5/5) (Alex: That was a great century.)
HEALTH CARE (4/4)
STATUES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD LITERATURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SLANGUAGE (3/4)
THE MUSICALS OF RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN (2/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Padraic: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Gabe: 8 R, 1 W
Maggie: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Padraic snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Padraic had $3,800, Gabe had $5,200, and Maggie was at $7,800. Padraic wagered $3,000.

WORLD LITERATURE $1200: The last chapter of this 16th century work is "An Exhortation to Liberate Italy from the Barbarians"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Maggie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Padraic had $15,200, Gabe had $13,600, and Maggie was at $15,400. Maggie wagered $3,000.

STATUES $800: Baruch Spinoza stands in front of this world capital's city hall

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MUSICALS OF RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN $1200: Features a ballet that's a Siamese version of "Uncle Tom's Cabin"
(Padraic: What is Porgy and Bess?)

SLANGUAGE $2000: Drop a letter from a class in boxing to get this, the poundage you gain on an ocean liner pleasure trip

THE MUSICALS OF RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN $2000: It's set in San Francisco's Chinatown

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Maggie: $18,400
Padraic: $15,200
Gabe: $14,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIES & THE BIBLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Maggie: Wager $12,001 to cover Padraic.
Padraic: You ought to wager to cover Gabe, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $15,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $12,800 (to shut out Gabe) or less than $8,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Gabe). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Maggie.
Gabe: You ought to try wagering between $1,201 and $7,600. This will top a $0 wager by Padraic while still beating Maggie and Padraic on the Triple Stumper (should Maggie wager to cover Padraic's doubled score and Padraic wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In this crime drama, a 1994 Oscar nominee for best picture, a character misquotes Ezekiel 25:17 twice

FINAL SCORES
Gabe: $14,000 + $13,950 = $27,950 (What is Pulp Fiction?) (New champion: $27,950)
Padraic: $15,200 - $10,000 = $5,200 (What is "Seven"?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Maggie: $18,400 - $12,001 = $6,399 (What is) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Maggie: $16,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Gabe: $14,000, 19 R, 2 W
Padraic: $12,600, 16 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Gabe: 20/58 = .345
Maggie: 19/59 = .322
Padraic: 16/60 = .267
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MIDDLE "W" $1000: Lewd or salacious
(Gabe: What is tawdry?)

RED ALERT $400: Burns wrote, "O, my luve's like a red, red rose that's newly sprung in" this month
(Maggie: What is May?)

RED ALERT $600: This animal gives birth to 10 or more pups at a time but never yells, "I'm coming, Elizabeth! This is the big one!"
[Laughter]

MIDDLE "W" $200: A slogan seen on office coffee mugs says "I" do this, "I" do this "so off to work I go"
(Padraic: What is I [*], I [*]?)

STATUES $2000: Success may come to you if you name this popular Hindu god seen here in stone

THE 4th CENTURY $1600: In 330 he dedicated the city of New Rome as his capital on the Bosporus; soon it was named for him
(Maggie: Who is Alexander the Great?)

THE 4th CENTURY $2000: Around 376 this nomadic people from central Asia defeated the Visigoths
(Gabe: Who are the Mongols?)

STATUES $1600: This writer and orator's statue is seen here in Talbot County, Maryland, where he was born around 1818

HEALTH CARE $2000: It's the "MH" in 1996's MHPA, a law that mandates insurance for it at the same level as other health coverage
(Maggie: What is mental?... What is mental?)
[Maggie's response was initially ruled incorrect but was accepted after Clue 19 because the word "health" was in the clue; she was then given control of the board.]

HEALTH CARE $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew displays a diagram on the monitor.) Medicare's prescription-drug benefit has a gap in coverage where expenditures come out of your pocket, called by this edible name

WORLD LITERATURE $400: In this 1866 Russian novel, a poor student named Raskolnikov kills an old woman pawnbroker
(Alex: That's it, with a minute to go.)

STATUES $400: In January 2013 fans turned a statue of Stan Musial in this city into an informal memorial
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Ronald Reagan
Parenthood
The Prince
Amsterdam
The King and I
cruise weight
Flower Drum Song
Pulp Fiction
bawdy
June
a red fox
owe
Ganesha (Ganesh accepted)
Constantine
the Huns
Frederick Douglass
mental health
the doughnut hole
Crime and Punishment
St. Louis

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 am

Movies & The Bible
In this crime drama, a 1994 Oscar nominee for Best Picture, a character misquotes Ezekial 25:17 twice.

SpoilerShow
What is Pulp Fiction? Padraic said Seven; Maggie had no guess.

Maggie Millikan: $18,400-$12,001=$6,399
Gabe Gales: $14,000+$13,950=$27,950...now a 1-day champion with $27,950
Padraic Scalan: $15,200-$10,000=$5,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Not that I'd have gotten it anyway, but I misread the clue as being a 1944 movie and said The Maltese Falcon.

Bad bets by both the guys today.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 pm

I wish they'd stop accepting "Geneva Convention"; it's the Geneva Conventions.

"MH" stands for "mental" because "health" appeared somewhere on the board some time this week. Ok.

Instaget FJ

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:27 pm

The intro had a rare case of the captions resorting to phonetics. Don't see that often.

Apparently Andrew's Forrest Bounce-itis is contagious.

Anagrammed Virginia Cities was an easy 5/5.

Did better in Tube than I thought with 3/5. I knew Ally McBeal but couldn't spit out the title, and Parenthood was a total NHOI. (Seems recent NBC shows are often TSes.)

Once again, I prove to be too much of an overthinker for Stupid Answers. "Leonardo da Vinci was from where? Vinci is a place?" Of course, you dingaling; what did you think "da Vinci" meant? Say it anyway, even if you're not sure Vinci is a place. No chance on British Museum, though.

Ronald Reagan = communicator? Huh?

"Nurse" was super overvalued at $1600.

That "M.H." clue underneath was really inelegant. How did they not catch that "health", which the H stood for, was in not only the clue, but also the category?! Surprised that he reversed the neg in mid-flight, instead of waiting for the DD as usual.

0/5 in Statues and 4th Century.

I skipped right to "Ezekiel" and had Pulp Fiction before Alex was done reading the clue. Thank you, TV Tropes.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Ha! I precalled this answer. Though not really the Platonic form of a "crime drama."

Terrible endgame by Padraic. Lousy bet. Lousy DD hunting. Zero awareness! Lousy FJ answer. Once again, he was just throwing up a pretty number as a bet.

Still, nice back and forth game and I liked most of the board.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Ronald Reagan = communicator? Huh?
As well as the Teflon President, he was also known as The Great Communicator.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:33 pm

I don't usually do the celeb lookalike thing, but our champ looks to me kinda like Charles Kelley from Lady Antebellum.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 pm

Spent the pre-FJ commercial break trying (and failing) to come up with a movie that wouldn't be painfully obvious and easy. Not sure why I bothered. The only challenge was trying to remember the entire quote. I thought for sure it would be a triple get, but I guess they've never seen Pulp Fiction.

I can't believe I defended Padraic's wager yesterday. Yeesh.

5/5 in slanguage but...prolebrity!? I must be living under a rock.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 pm

I liked the Stupid Answers much more than I normally do. The three in the middle weren't as totally obvious as they normally are.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm

xxaaaxx wrote: I thought for sure it would be a triple get, but I guess they've never seen Pulp Fiction.
I have never seen the movie, can you explain what the scene was about and how he misquoted the verse?

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Bamaman wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: I thought for sure it would be a triple get, but I guess they've never seen Pulp Fiction.
I have never seen the movie, can you explain what the scene was about and how he misquoted the verse?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czb4jn5y94g
About 1:50 in.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 pm

By any chance, did anybody go 30 for 30 in the J round tonight?

I ask because I went 28 for 30, and the two I missed were very gettable.

I missed "Parenthood" in the TV category. I've heard the name and am aware of its existence, and at least one of the performers' names sounded familiar, but I didn't know it.

Embarrassingly, my other miss was in the Stupid Answers category. I got the first four, but I couldn't quite remember in time that the exact name of the museum is simply "The British Museum". I probably would have got it given another two seconds, but I wasn't.

I did less well in the DJ round. Three categories concerned weak spots in my knowledge base (health care, world literature, Rodgers and Hammerstein). I did go 5/5 in statues, and that's not from knowing anything about art or sculpture, but just from having general knowledge of the various people and entities that they mentioned statues of.

After the FJ category was revealed, the first movie that came to mind was "The Ten Commandments", but I thought it probably wouldn't be that, since it's a little too obvious. I was then mildly worried it would be a movie from before my time. Luckily, as a North American male born in 1974, the clue seemed perfectly geared towards my demographic. Instaget.

I was surprised it only went 1/3 on the show, but as is often said, the ones that you yourself know always seem like the easy ones. "Seven" was a very reasonable guess if you don't know: Crime drama, vaguely biblical themes, and the 1994 year is close. (Looking it up now, "Seven" was actually 1995, and didn't actually get nominated for Best Picture.)

Contestant on the show are now 1/9 on FJs this week, no?

Very impressive pre-FJ scores by all three contestants.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:00 pm

I had fun playing along with this game but it seemed like all three players were... distracted? Puzzled? At lot of pauses, ahhs, mmms...

Had fun on my strong points --- World Literature and the President category --- and shook my head a bit at the Mental Health answer and follow-up score adjustment. Hunh? Though it must have been fun to have two Maggies on the soundstage at once...

Sorry to see Padraic follow the one-and-done curse.

I nearly fell of my couch when Maggie thought Alexander the Great was the capitol answer (hunh?) but I was cheering for her when she named the correct statue for Amsterdam. Wow, good answer. And then... FJ.

FJ was an Instaget for me. Can't believe it didn't go 3 for 0.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 pm

This was an excellent game and one that showed that it's better to have a well written board that is on the easy side than a hard one that is not so good.

FJ was an instant get since Pulp Fiction is one of the few non-comedy films that I like, but I wasn't a big fan of the clue. If you haven't seen the movie then you had to count on getting the correct response from "1994 + crime drama." And I thought that Se7en was actually a very good guess.

chaydaw
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by chaydaw » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Please someone answe this question! I cannot find the answer anywhere!!

When a player answers a question that is immediately ruled incorrect but is overturned later...why are they awarded an amount that is significantly higher than the original clue amount?! I cannot find this answer anywhere and it is bothering me!!! PLease help!!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeah, unless you've seen the movie, I don't know how you get it. The warden at Shawshank misquoted the Bible as well, but I wouldn't know that if I hadn't seen the movie.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Bamaman wrote:Not that I'd have gotten it anyway, but I misread the clue as being a 1944 movie and said The Maltese Falcon.

Bad bets by both the guys today.
Well Gabe's bet looked bad, until we saw Padraic's, and then it looked pretty savvy, because if 2nd isn't going to bet to cover 3rd, then 3rd should obviously consider betting it all (or nearly all) in an effort to pass 2nd if they are both right. Of course Gabe probably didn't know that when he made the bet, but in hindsight I bet he was feeling pretty good about it. If Padraic had bet something like $8,800, I wouldn't call it a bad bet at all, particularly if he didn't feel strong about the category, but $10,000 in that spot was simply awful. And to think that he was supposed to be our new host!
econgator wrote:I wish they'd stop accepting "Geneva Convention"; it's the Geneva Conventions.

"MH" stands for "mental" because "health" appeared somewhere on the board some time this week. Ok.

Instaget FJ
Well if they ask for "the first of these Swiss agreements", it seems like you could answer with "What are the Geneva Conventions?" or "What is the [first] Geneva Convention?"

That MH reversal was truly bizarre. Not only do they correct it after just one subsequent clue, but then they return control of the board to Maggie, even though Gabe had selected the previous clue. I suppose if Gabe or Padraic had gotten that clue, they wouldn't have given control to Maggie, would they?

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:34 pm

StevenH wrote:If you haven't seen the movie then you had to count on getting the correct response from "1994 + crime drama."
In principle, one also had "Best Picture nominee" to work with, but I admit that remembering all the Best Picture nominees is much harder than remembering the winners.