Military week?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Military week?

Post by legendneverdies »

WHich week is Military week? It is next week in honor of the 4th of July? It's known that the Kids' week will wrap up the season on the week of 7/29-8/2.
MarkBarrett

Re: Military week?

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:WHich week is Military week? It is next week in honor of the 4th of July? It's known that the Kids' week will wrap up the season on the week of 7/29-8/2.
I checked the TitanTV grid and the listings show Military Week for next week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on air.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned on air.
They usually spring it on us the Friday before.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

It might also be (I emphasize 'might') that they didn't have the schedule finalized when these games were taped.

But, yes, my listings also show Military week starting Monday July 1 (Canada Day).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote: But, yes, my listings also show Military week starting Monday July 1 (Canada Day).

Brian
So will we see a Mountie on the show next week?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
bpmod wrote: But, yes, my listings also show Military week starting Monday July 1 (Canada Day).

Brian
While I know that was humour, Mounties aren't part of our military, I think they'd be more analogous to your State Troopers. (Remember what the "P" stands for in "RCMP")

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

Brian
While I know that was humour, Mounties aren't part of our military, I think they'd be more analogous to your State Troopers. (Remember what the "P" stands for in "RCMP")
Actually, they'd be more analogous to the US Park Police (federal powers with broad state-level powers as well).
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:So will we see a Mountie on the show next week?
Actually, they'd be more analogous to the US Park Police (federal powers with broad state-level powers as well).
I recall a Mountie friend of my late (Canadian) wife who compared the RCMP, for the most part, to the FBI.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:While I know that was humour, Mounties aren't part of our military, I think they'd be more analogous to your State Troopers. (Remember what the "P" stands for in "RCMP")
I recall a Mountie friend of my late (Canadian) wife who compared the RCMP, for the most part, to the FBI.
Since we are two separate countries, there isn't a strict one-to-one analogy, so we might all be right to an extent, but I'm thinking of the RCMP as analogous to state troopers in that, for the most part (except in Ontario and Quebec at least) the Mounties function where there is no city police force, and have the jurisdiction of a local police in rural and northern areas. The US Park Police I don't see much outside of federal parks (and we have park police here), and the FBI isn't really a police service (CSIS is probably close to the FBI and/or the CIA.))

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Let me just weigh in to say that my feeling has always been:

Mounties <==> FBI
CSIS <==> CIA

Of course, DHK is right insofar as there is really no strict one-to-one analogies.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

It may depend on what part of Canada you're from. I grew up in British Columbia, and in the greater Vancouver area, I know that Vancouver and (I think) New Westminster have city police forces, but Burnaby and Surrey don't. They just have the RCMP. So, if you live in Burnaby, you tend to think of the RCMP as just "the police", somewhat similarly to if you live in an unincorporated rural area that has state troopers but no city police force.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Here in southern Ontario, we have our local police forces (Hamilton Police Service for instance), our OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) and the RCMP.

Our local police look after most day-to-day stuff. Our OPP patrol the major limited-access highways. In areas where there is no city police force, such as the city of Haldimand County, they also protect perpetrators from harm while committing their crimes (that is, harm from victims who might have the tendancy to try to protect their property, for instance), as well as enforcing laws like prohibition of flying a Canadian flag on private property. The RCMP mostly handles crimes like smuggling (unless said smugglers are being protected by the OPP).

Brian

Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

I've never been able to "crack" the formula for J!'s special shows - obv. the TOC, teen, college, and kids week (and now teachers), seem to come up in virtually every season but when it comes to Power Players, Celebrity and Military week, not sure how the staff decides on what to air for what particular seasons. I'm personally a huge fan of these specials.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

hermia.snow wrote:I've never been able to "crack" the formula for J!'s special shows - obv. the TOC, teen, college, and kids week (and now teachers), seem to come up in virtually every season but when it comes to Power Players, Celebrity and Military week, not sure how the staff decides on what to air for what particular seasons. I'm personally a huge fan of these specials.
Celeb weeks don't air every season(or celeb tourneys like the one they had two years ago over the course of the season), but they have aired most seasons. This is only the second military week they've ever done, the first one being 14 years ago in Summer 1999. J! has done contestant searches in conjunction with the USO, in 1988 and again in 1995, they did a two minute spiel at the beginning of one show about one such search.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

skullturf wrote:It may depend on what part of Canada you're from. I grew up in British Columbia, and in the greater Vancouver area, I know that Vancouver and (I think) New Westminster have city police forces, but Burnaby and Surrey don't. They just have the RCMP. So, if you live in Burnaby, you tend to think of the RCMP as just "the police", somewhat similarly to if you live in an unincorporated rural area that has state troopers but no city police force.
Sounds more like a county sheriff.
Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

Odd that Alex didn't announce it, guess it's not happening lol
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

We'll know for sure on Monday, but that does seem weird, doesn't it?

Brian

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

The Howdies make it look like this will be a regular week. The video that automatically plays though shows old contestants. My on-screen guide says it's Military Week, at least as of yesterday. :?:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

thejeopardyfan wrote:The Howdies make it look like this will be a regular week. The video that automatically plays though shows old contestants. My on-screen guide says it's Military Week, at least as of yesterday. :?:
As of 9:30 am Eastern, it looks like the preview video now features the contestants that are listed, so it does appear that Military Week is not imminent. Maybe they had it set for this week, bu then changed their minds and decided to push it back a few weeks, but failed to correct the various program guides around the country. While it seems logical to put Military Week in the same week as the 4th of July, viewership will probably be pretty low this week, with the holiday falling on Thursday. If they're wanting to "pay tribute" to the armed forces, it would make sense to do it in a week when more people are watching.