Thursday, June 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6639, 2013-06-27

CONTESTANTS
Darryl Campbell, a data analyst from Seattle, Washington
Laura Amundson, a former criminal-defense attorney from Des Moines, Iowa
Gabe Gales, a research analyst from Cincinnati, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,950)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. It's good to have you with us once again. We've had some big wins on Jeopardy! recently, and Gabe is a perfect example --close to $28,000 for him. Laura and Darryl are hoping that they can do the same. Good luck to you. Let's go to work in the Jeopardy! round. And here are the categories...
for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SUMMER FUN (0/0)
MOVIE TITLE OVERLAPS (0/0)
SHAKESPEARE ACT II SCENE 1 (0/0)
BODY PARTS (0/0)
GO "C" THE COUNTRY (0/0)
WORDS OF WONDER (0/0)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gabe: 0 R, 0 W
Laura: 0 R, 0 W
Darryl: 0 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 0
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gabe: $0
Laura: $0
Darryl: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Darryl Campbell from Seattle, Washington got to do something that a lot of us wished we could have done, and that is take part in Civil War reenactments.

Darryl: Yep. That's right.

Alex: You were very young, though, so you weren't a soldier carrying a musket or anything. No, you had to be at least 13, and I was 11 and 12 when I did that, but...

Alex: So what were you?

Darryl: Well, I play the trumpet, so I got to be the bugler.

Alex: Which meant you played "Taps" at the end of --

Darryl: That's right. I play "Taps" at the end, and I got to run around with a commander and sort of play as loud as I could.

Alex: And you were never killed in battle.

Darryl: That's right.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Laura Amundson from Des Moines, Iowa. You have created a dish you call the Alex Trebek meat pie?

Laura: No! I found this recipe on the internet, and it's a tourtière, which is a meat pie from Quebec, and my mother used to make that.

Alex: Oh!

Laura: So I decided to compare yours to hers.

Alex: And?

Laura: I liked hers better. [ laughter ]

Alex: What's special about hers?

Laura: I think the difference was --I'm not sure if this is really your recipe or not --you had wine and a lot of spices that my mother's family couldn't afford to have.

Alex: You got a problem with wine?

Laura: No. Being part french, no. [ Laughter ] But it just wasn't the same as mom's recipe.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Gabe Gales is our champion. Works for a company --we said you're a research analyst.

Gabe: That's right.

Alex: You work for a company that does what exactly?

Gabe: I do market research in the consumer-packaged goods division, and so the layman's translation is we look at new concepts for packaged goods, mostly foodstuffs, and see if they are fit to go to market and try to prospect what their performance is gonna be.

Alex: Okay. Good for you. Keep us safe.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Gabe: $0

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN LIVES (0/0)
ISLAND NAMES (0/0)
GEOLOGY (0/0)
ADDEND"UM" (0/0)
COLLEGES WITH MASS. APPEAL (0/0)
WORDS OF STEVIE WONDER (0/0)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gabe: 0 R, 0 W
Laura: 0 R, 0 W
Darryl: 0 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 0
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gabe: $0 (lock-tie game)

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSPORTATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
No player had any money going into Final Jeopardy!.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Susan B. Anthony said this new fad had "done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world

FINAL SCORES

Total Potential Lach Trash: $0

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gabe: $0, 0 R, 0 W
Laura: $0, 0 R, 0 W
Darryl: $0, 0 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $0

BATTING AVERAGES
Gabe: 0/58 = .000
Laura: 0/58 = .000
Darryl: 0/58 = .000
Team: 0/63 = .000

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES

CORRECT RESPONSES
the bicycle

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Transportation
Susan B. Anthony said this new fad had "Done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world".

SpoilerShow
What is the bicycle? Gabe said roller skating; Darryl said the Sunday drive.

Darryl Campbell: $16,800-$7,601=$9,199
Laura Amundson: $12,200+$8,195=$20,395...now a 1-day champion with $20,395
Gabe Gales: $8,200-$1,300=$6,900
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Surprised "North Pole" was BMSed, should have been negged outright (BMSing it prompts him to go for another North Pole as it's not the Santa one (the one he said, which was excluded from the clue's wording)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:35 pm

How do you know Santa doesn't live at the magnetic pole?

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:36 pm

FJ had me stumped for a bit. After about 20 seconds I blurted out bicycle half-jokingly, then spent the next 10 seconds kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner. Duh!

Only 4/5 in Stevie Wonder, missing, of all things, the 400 clue. If my mother ever finds out, she will disown me.

So, there's been what? 2 correct FJ responses out of 12 this week? I wonder what the all-time record low is, outside of tournaments.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:43 pm

ARGH! Tonight I did the thing where I wrote down the correct response for FJ, then changed my mind to an incorrect response!

I tried to think of methods of transportation that might count as recent fads in Susan B. Anthony's day, and that might have given women an increased opportunity to go places on their own. Bicycles came to mind, and I wrote it down.

Then, not being 100% confident, I started thinking a little more. I thought: Automobiles allow even more opportunity to travel an even longer distance. Maybe being able to drive places is even more of a significant cultural and social shift. True, "the automobile" felt a bit less like a "fad", but then everything is a fad when it's relatively new.

Now that I think about it, one reason against "the automobile" might be that women often weren't the drivers in the household. Neither of my grandmothers (born 1918 and 1924) ever learned to drive, but their husbands did.

Also, now that I look everything up, Susan B. Anthony died in 1906, which was two years before the introduction of the Model T, and just seven years after the first appearance of the word "automobile" in the New York Times. So Anthony hypothetically could have written something about automobiles near the end of her life, but it seems unlikely that in her lifetime, she would describe the automobile as causing any significant social change. (I thought that maybe Anthony had died in the 1920s or something.)

Other than my FJ faux pas, I did well in this episode. 29/30 in the J round, missing only "Summer Stock". Since I had a streak going, I made some guesses ("wambling" sound = stomach, "strong guy" = Hercules). I also managed to pull out "astonish" in the nick of time, by thinking thunder -> tonnerre -> étonnant -> astonishing.

I did well in the DJ round too, but not as well. I got lucky on some guesses (Smith over Mount Holyoke), but there were several that I outright knew. I was proud of myself for getting Ketchum, Idaho, and the $2000 Stevie Wonder one, which I've now forgotten.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:06 pm

I didn't like this board very much, but it was pretty easy. I was happy to get the Lach trash on Ketchum, Amherst, and Brandeis, but none of those clues was that hard.

Was there a clue in a recent game on Sugar Loaf Mountain that mentioned that it is an island mountain? Maybe that was in one of the Saturday evening reruns.

I made the lucky guess on FJ. I really had no idea.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 pm

I guessed bicycle, but is that really a "fad"? I usually thing of a fad as something that is popular for a bit but then fades away (e.g. Pet rocks, hula hoops).

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Woppy T wrote:I guessed bicycle, but is that really a "fad"? I usually thing of a fad as something that is popular for a bit but then fades away (e.g. Pet rocks, hula hoops).
To SBA, they were, at the time she said it.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Bamaman wrote:How do you know Santa doesn't live at the magnetic pole?
I believe the Santa mythos used to have him at the magnetic pole, until, over time, his residence moved to the geographic pole.
skullturf wrote:ARGH! Tonight I did the thing where I wrote down the correct response for FJ, then changed my mind to an incorrect response!

I tried to think of methods of transportation that might count as recent fads in Susan B. Anthony's day, and that might have given women an increased opportunity to go places on their own. Bicycles came to mind, and I wrote it down.

Then, not being 100% confident, I started thinking a little more. I thought: Automobiles allow even more opportunity to travel an even longer distance. Maybe being able to drive places is even more of a significant cultural and social shift. True, "the automobile" felt a bit less like a "fad", but then everything is a fad when it's relatively new.

Now that I think about it, one reason against "the automobile" might be that women often weren't the drivers in the household. Neither of my grandmothers (born 1918 and 1924) ever learned to drive, but their husbands did.

Also, now that I look everything up, Susan B. Anthony died in 1906, which was two years before the introduction of the Model T, and just seven years after the first appearance of the word "automobile" in the New York Times. So Anthony hypothetically could have written something about automobiles near the end of her life, but it seems unlikely that in her lifetime, she would describe the automobile as causing any significant social change. (I thought that maybe Anthony had died in the 1920s or something.)
I had a very similar process for FJ. Also, I was sure the bicycle was an 18th century invention, a bit early for SBA to call it a "fad".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 pm

I wasn't 100% sure of her lifespan and went with car. She died a little earlier than I had thought. I need to get FJ right tomorrow to avoid clicking the box of shame.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 pm

dhkendall wrote:Surprised "North Pole" was BMSed, should have been negged outright (BMSing it prompts him to go for another North Pole as it's not the Santa one (the one he said, which was excluded from the clue's wording)
I was surprised too, but thought it would be taken as is, not negged, since you don't really hear about Santa living anywhere else.

I took my dad's answer of bicycle, though on a different rationale than he did—he thought the automobile wasn't invented yet, I thought it was but that the public mind of the time didn't associate cars with women.

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:31 pm

I disliked including fad in that FJ. It caused e to go with something newer. I disliked the board too, but that's because I didn't know a lot.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:34 pm

FJ was an instaget; I couldn't think of anything else that fit during the think music.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Paucle wrote:
Woppy T wrote:I guessed bicycle, but is that really a "fad"? I usually thing of a fad as something that is popular for a bit but then fades away (e.g. Pet rocks, hula hoops).
To SBA, they were, at the time she said it.
But was she calling it a fad, or were the Jeopardy writers doing that? I don't remember how it was worded.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Jeff hasn't posted it yet, but FJ said.....

SBA said this new fad had "Done more to..........".

So it looks like the writers called it a fad in quoting her. The quote part started after the word fad.

Here's a link to a female cycling website that gives the quote, no mention is made of it being a fad. It says she said this in 1896.

http://cyclingsisters.org/node/3242

Leander

Post by Leander » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Somewhere deep in my memory I had heard this FJ quote before so this was close to an instaget.

elijahjt
Contributor

Post by elijahjt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 pm

StrangerCoug wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Surprised "North Pole" was BMSed, should have been negged outright (BMSing it prompts him to go for another North Pole as it's not the Santa one (the one he said, which was excluded from the clue's wording)
I was surprised too, but thought it would be taken as is, not negged, since you don't really hear about Santa living anywhere else.
But the clue said something to the effect of "and moving toward Siberia at a pace of...". The clue excluded the geographic north pole. I agree that North Pole should have just been negged. It seemed akin to "What is Mexico? [...] What is New Mexico?" (Okay, maybe not that bad.)

gabethegoat

Post by gabethegoat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:49 pm

::sigh::

that was ugly. and i'm not just talkin about the clash of the tweed jacket with the backdrop.

props to darryl for having me beat on the signaling device for most of the game, and good job laura for persevering in the face of some tough competition. in retrospect, i think that i lost a little bit of focus over the lunch break. i might've gotten too comfortable and could've even been a little overconfident. when we came back from the break and had our practice session i could NOT find my timing and i was a little shook going in. once i managed to get my act back together, it was too late. throw in a brain-fart on brandeis (for a moment i wanted to say "clarence thomas u"), and i was thrown off just enough to not have a clue what to write in fj. i think my bet reflects the mental state as well, as i miscalculated pretty badly.

regardless, no regrets. jeopardy champion, a little money towards a down payment on a house, and some awesome memories. to those of you still waiting for "the call," keep it up. i've been taking the online test for over 5 years and had 2 auditions and every day that i waited was well worth it.

good luck yall.