Monday, July 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Novels
This 1934 novel was partly written in the Hotel Pera Palace in Istanbul; the room is now a memorial to the author.

Spoiler
Show
What is Murder on the Orient Express? Jacob said Room with a View.

Ben Ingram: $20,600+$29=$20,629...now a 1-day champion with $20,629
Sonrisa Cooper: $8,600+$4,000=$12,600
Jacob Laux: $2,000-$2,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:58 pm

I thought they wouldn't finish the board in the first round because they kept saying the full name of the Sajak category.

Browning should have been BMSed.

I have no idea how I knew it, but I got FJ. Glad to get it after taking the collar last week.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Bamaman wrote:I thought they wouldn't finish the board in the first round because they kept saying the full name of the Sajak category.

I have no idea how I knew it, but I got FJ. Glad to get it after taking the collar last week.
Sums things up for me pretty well. I was going to comment on Browning. I think I only knew FJ! because they have asked about the novel multiple times on the show. Was relieved after the mess of last week. Champ has potential but I'd like to see him with stiffer competition tomorrow.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Watching out of order. I missed Thursday and Friday since I was on the road, but I've got them DVR'd at home. I didn't figure on still being only as far as my sister's in Flint on Monday, but there you go.

Was hoping to do a joke about P.P. on someone's smock, but to no avail.

Funny how I cruised through the first half of J!, but got only two right (along with two wrong and two clams) in the second half. 13 right, but only $3400 that round.

My only two gets in all of DJ! were the two in Same Letter, Different Words. Everything else was completely over my head or just a random blank.

Opposite of "fountain of youth" seemed to have a lot of options. Age? Aging? Getting old?

For some reason, my mind refuses to register that Cleopatra was a queen. I, too, was thinking English royalty.

Funny how $2000 was the only clue in Ageless Quotes that wasn't a TS. Has that ever happened before?

No guess on FJ!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:30 pm

The guy who won seems reasonably good. I don't recall any especially bad TSs. I went with Jackson Browne, too.

Didn't have much issue with FJ as it's a famous novel with a famous tie to Istanbul. Though A Room with a View is a good guess if you can't make the city connection.

Sonrisa killed herself with the good ol' Portrait of Dorian Gray, though it wound up not mattering.

Happy to see that no one bet $10,000 or $11,000 today.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:32 pm

lisa0012 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I thought they wouldn't finish the board in the first round because they kept saying the full name of the Sajak category.

Sums things up for me pretty well. I was going to comment on Browning. I think I only knew FJ! because they have asked about the novel multiple times on the show. Was relieved after the mess of last week. Champ has potential but I'd like to see him with stiffer competition tomorrow.
Me, too, except for the "getting FJ" part. I just said Room With A View, because MOTOE wasn't going to come to me in 30 seconds.

Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Sorry im new to this but whats BMS?

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:05 pm

*Sigh*

Guess it's time to turn in my membership card from the Mystery Writers of America. Guessed "Grand Hotel" for FJ... ouch!

Enjoyed the Pat Sajak category; not many --- except for members of this board, probably --- know that he replaced Adrian Cronauer on Armed Forces Radio in Saigon. (What, you mean it wasn't Forrest Whittaker?)

And congrats to the new champ... what a tall drink of water!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:05 pm

hermia.snow wrote:

Sorry im new to this but whats BMS?
Be More Specific.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:17 pm

teapot37 wrote:
hermia.snow wrote:Sorry im new to this but whats BMS?
Be More Specific.
Just to clarify, that's your answer. He's not asking you to state your question more precisely. ;)

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Austin Powers wrote:Sonrisa killed herself with the good ol' Portrait of Dorian Gray, though it wound up not mattering.
I swear she's not the first Jeopardy! contestant to make the Portrait/Picture of Dorian Gray mistake. Wasn't somebody negged for saying "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" in the sushi set era?

ETA: Why does Ben Ingram's name give me a déjà vu?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:30 pm

While Elizabeth I did appear in Henry VIII as an infant, that was a pretty bad guess.

Leander

Post by Leander » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 pm

If Wikipedia is to believed, this FJ question may be based on wishful thinking on the part of a hotel PR department rather than reality.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Bamaman wrote:While Elizabeth I did appear in Henry VIII as an infant, that was a pretty bad guess.
:oops: That's what I guessed. I also took the negbait on the John Hancock Tower; we just visited Chicago and went up to admire the view from the Signature Lounge.

I had no idea on FJ, and would have written The Sun Also Rises just to have something down.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Mystery heads probably got the FJ in <5 secs.
ElendilPickle wrote:
Bamaman wrote:While Elizabeth I did appear in Henry VIII as an infant, that was a pretty bad guess.
:oops: That's what I guessed. I also took the negbait on the John Hancock Tower; we just visited Chicago and went up to admire the view from the Signature Lounge.

I had no idea on FJ, and would have written The Sun Also Rises just to have something down.
Oh that's the JH Center, I hate it when that happens.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:43 pm

what about "Picture of an Artist as a Young Man" ?

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 pm

StrangerCoug wrote:I swear she's not the first Jeopardy! contestant to make the Portrait/Picture of Dorian Gray mistake. Wasn't somebody negged for saying "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" in the sushi set era?
In fact, it appeared in the Sept. 21, 2007 game under Notes to Future Contestants. I wonder how many times, previous to that game, each of those specific mistakes in that category had been made, and then how many times afterward.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:47 pm

For a rare time I had the news on before J! and heard (wasn't watching) the teaser spot with "Let's go to work and bet it all." When watching J! I recognized the voice as belonging to Ben, so I knew what was coming. I like the phraseology that differed from the standard.

Portrait for Picture has several hits in the archive. I figured it was coming again tonight when I saw the clue. If I had been playing I may have even gambled with a silent first buzzer to make the clue worth more on a rebound.

Nice job by Sonrisa to get the Bill Belichick clue. I found it tough to determine if the guys were trying on it as their buzzer positions were south of viewability.

Hammer's quote: Watching out of order. I missed Thursday and Friday since I was on the road, but I've got them DVR'd at home. I can't (and no one else should either) say anything more, but you provided a good laugh unknowlingly.

Here's a typical Mark miss on the FJ clue. Something written in Turkey, I don't know. Who might have been there in 1934 and who does J! like for famous writers in a FJ clue? I took a flyer on the Pera being like pere, like papa to Hemingway. Not knowing the years of his works I picked one, A Farewell to Arms. June 3rd was my last Monday solve. Yikes!