Wednesday, July 3, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6643, 2013-07-03

CONTESTANTS
Linda Vestrand, a human resources professional from Youngstown, Ohio
Hunter Sandison, a camera operator from Los Angeles, California
Ben Ingram, an I.T. Consultant originally from Florence, South Carolina (whose 2-day cash winnings total $42,030)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I can read lips, too. "Wow."

[Laughter]

Alex: That was Ben's reaction over winning $42,000. Will he be able to defeat Hunter and Linda today? Well, let's start finding out in this half-hour. Good luck. Here we go. And now the categories. Remember, there's one Daily Double on the board.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TENNIS THE MENACE (3/5)
TV LOGOS (5/5)
THE ORIGINAL 31 FLAVORS (5/5)
4-LETTER "V"ORDS (5/5)
A CONNECTICUT YANKEE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hunter: 16 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Ben: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Linda: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. Ben had no money, Hunter was scoreless, and Linda had nothing in the bank. Ben wagered $1,000.

A CONNECTICUT YANKEE $600: This patriot began his one life in Coventry, Connecticut on June 6, 1755

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Hunter: $3,000
Ben: $2,600
Linda: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Linda Vestrand is from Youngstown, Ohio, and this little story sounds like it goes back to the pre-present-day camera situations. You were on vacation where?

Linda: [chuckles] My husband, Bill, and I went to Montego Bay, Jamaica, for our honeymoon. Used my last student-loan check to pay for that.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Linda: And we did a lot of great things --climbed the waterfalls, visited a lot of great locales, took a lot of great pictures. Unfortunately, we did not put film in the camera.

Alex: Pre-digital.

Linda: Yes.

Alex: Nowadays, you would know immediately if you had a photo. You'd look at it, say, "oh, that didn't come out. We'll take another one."

Linda: Exactly. [chuckles]

Alex: Oh, boo-hiss to film days.

Alex: Hunter Sandison is a camera operator from Los Angeles, who interacted with gorillas in Africa. Now, there was something on YouTube I saw a year ago about people who were visiting Africa. They were sitting down, and all of a sudden, a whole bunch of gorillas came by and interacted with the individual. What was your situation?

Hunter: No, we had to go them. [chuckles]

Alex: Go to them? Okay.

Hunter: Yeah. We had to trek through a place called Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, and it's pretty impenetrable. It's difficult to get there.

Alex: Now, what was the most exciting or frightening moment of this encounter?

Hunter: I guess, at one point, we were a little too close, I guess, and one of the silverbacks jumped at me and beat his chest a bit. It scared me pretty badly, but the guide said, "stand still."

Alex: And you listened?

Hunter: I did.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Ben Ingram is our champion. So often on Jeopardy! our champions engage in pro bono work or charitable work. And you have done something very impressive for the blind.

Ben: I used to read over a statewide radio network in South Carolina, and I would read the morning papers for people who wanted to tune in and listen.

Alex: Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT $1000: King Arthur & this nephew of his kill each other in battle
(Linda: Who is Mordor?)

TENNIS THE MENACE $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical drawing on the monitor.) Doctors say, when you're serving, it's a good idea to raise your arm angle above 90 degrees to reduce the risk of injury to this group of four muscles & related tendons in the shoulder
(Hunter: What are quadriceps?)

TENNIS THE MENACE $600: Stretching for a forehand, Boris Becker hyper-extended this joint aka the carpus & had to withdraw from Wimbledon

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Hunter: $6,800
Ben: $4,000
Linda: $1,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY MOUNTAIN CLIMBING (4/5)
BOTTOM FEEDERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)
CONTAIN YOURSELF (3/5)
TITLE ROLE PLAYING (4/5)
AN "F" IN HISTORY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Hunter: 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Ben: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Linda: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Ben had $5,600, Hunter had $8,400, and Linda was at $1,400. Ben wagered $5,000.

AN "F" IN HISTORY $1200: His 2000 election as president of Mexico ended 71 years of uninterrupted control by the PRI party
(Ben: Who is Juarez?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Hunter who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Ben had $5,400, Hunter had $10,800, and Linda was at $2,600. Hunter wagered $3,000.

BOTTOM FEEDERS $1600: This animal has no head, arms or internal organs & belongs to the phylum Porifera, meaning "pore-bearer"
(Hunter: What is coral?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CONTAIN YOURSELF $1600: This word meaning to run can also be a deep metal bucket for carrying coal

CONTAIN YOURSELF $2000: In antiquity, this two-handled ceramic container held wine & other foodstuffs
(Hunter: What's an urn?)

TITLE ROLE PLAYING $1600: "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore"

LITERARY MOUNTAIN CLIMBING $800: In "To the Far Blue Mountains", this prolific western author continued his tales of the pioneering Sackett family

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Hunter: $15,800
Ben: $10,200
Linda: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY MUSIC

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Hunter: Wager $4,601 to cover Ben, but no more than $8,999 so as not to fall behind Linda's doubled score.
Ben: You have the hope of surpassing Hunter if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,601 to force Hunter to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $3,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Linda.
Linda: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
European music has "3 Bs"; 20th c. American music's "3 Cs" were John Cage, Elliott Carter & this composer/conductor

FINAL SCORES
Linda: $3,400 - $3,399 = $1 (Who is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ben: $10,200 + $1,000 = $11,200 (Who is Copland?) (3-day co-champion: $53,230)
Hunter: $15,800 - $4,600 = $11,200 (Who is Carlson) (New co-champion: $11,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Hunter: $18,800, 30 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Ben: $14,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Linda: $3,400, 6 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $37,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Hunter: 30/59 = .508
Ben: 16/60 = .267
Linda: 6/58 = .103
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TV LOGOS $200: B.C. or A.D., this is one of my favorite spots on the dial

TV LOGOS $400: Things can get rather animated here

TV LOGOS $600: Trumpeting its quality since 1996
(Hunter: What is National Geographic?)
[NOTE: This logo was retired in 2008.]

TV LOGOS $800: Three heads are better than one

THE ORIGINAL 31 FLAVORS $200: Sour item that precedes Crisp, Custard & Sherbet in 3 of Baskin-Robbins' original 31 flavors
(Ben: What is Apple?)

TV LOGOS $1000: "El Gordo y la Flaca" is one of its shows

IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT $800: In some versions, it's the knight Percival who succeeds in finding this vessel; Wagner told his story in "Parsifal"
(Ben: What is the Flying Dutchman?)

AN "F" IN HISTORY $2000: Henry Kissinger is seen here failing to get this Saudi king to lift the 1973 oil embargo

CONTAIN YOURSELF $400: This small container for medicine lent its name to a type of hat popularized by Jackie Kennedy
(Alex: Correct, with a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Nathan) Hale
Mordred
the rotator cuff
wrist
Vicente Fox
sponge
scuttle
an amphora
Ellen Burstyn
Louis L'Amour
Aaron Copland
the History channel
the Cartoon Network
Animal Planet
PBS
Lemon
Univision
the Holy Grail
King Faisal
a pillbox

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:38 am

20th Century Music
European music has "3 Bs"; 20th century American music's "3 Cs" were John Cage, Elliott Carter & this composer/conductor.

SpoilerShow
Who is Aaron Copland? Linda had no guess; Hunter said Carlson.

Hunter Sandison: $15,800-$4,600=$11,200...now a co-champion with a 1-day total of $11,200
Ben Ingram: $10,200+$1,000=$11,200...now a co-champion with a 3-day total of $53,230
Linda Vestrand: $3,400-$3,399=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Well that was unexpected.

Golf

Post by Golf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:00 pm

lisa0012 wrote:Well that was unexpected.
It's always unexpected when players make good wagers! While the champ's wager was certainly viable, I think wagering everything is a better choice.

While I very rarely mention which clues I got right or wrong (it's silly to blog about and nobody gives a crap unless you were a contestant on that episode) I found it morbidly interesting that the $200 clue in 31 Flavors kept me from a perfect board. How in the world can a top row ice cream clue do that? Oh well.

There seems to have been a lot more sports categories this season, this is a trend that greatly pleases me.

whammy007
Not Ready for Syndication Player

Post by whammy007 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:35 pm

That first-round board was pretty much up my alley, I ended up going 26-2-2. Clammed up on Colt and Excalibur (my primary Arthur read has been Malory, and he uses that name for a sword other than the one in the stone), missed on the hyperextended wrist (thinking elbow) and Dow (due to name confusion).

DJ... okay, but not near as good. Got caught off-guard a couple times by the players jumping in at the $1,200 level, and the dreaded movie categories caught up to me yet again - I swear, if there's one thing that does me in, it's all these pop-culture items that I miss because I can't stand the source material (pretty much any post-80s music and a lot of the most recent films I find hard to stomach).

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Golf wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:Well that was unexpected.
It's always unexpected when players make good wagers! While the champ's wager was certainly viable, I think wagering everything is a better choice.

While I very rarely mention which clues I got right or wrong (it's silly to blog about and nobody gives a crap unless you were a contestant on that episode) I found it morbidly interesting that the $200 clue in 31 Flavors kept me from a perfect board. How in the world can a top row ice cream clue do that? Oh well.

There seems to have been a lot more sports categories this season, this is a trend that greatly pleases me.
Ben's bet only pays off if he gets FJ right and Hunter gets it wrong. However, it also pays off if Hunter decides to bet a lot more than the MSB and it also assures him second place. I think it was a great wager.

Although it worked out for him, Hunter's bet was less than ideal. Unless he did the math wrong and thought he was in a 2/3 game, why offer the tie to a two day champ?

I was hoping Ben was going to say "Let's make it a true Daily Double" when he hit the one in the first round.

It would have been funny if he didn't get Florence, Italy.

Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 pm

A similar FJ! scenario actually happened in Sep. 1998:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=815

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Amazing J! board for me. I ran TV Logos, 31 Flavors, and "V", and missed only Mordred in King Arthur. However, I got only $200 in Tennis and Connecticut Yankee. The former had me clamming on wrist and calf, then negging on quads/rotator cuff, while I said "Dow Jones" instead of just "Dow" in the latter. Total: 21/30.

So of course, I crash and burn in DJ! In Title Roles, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was the only one of the five movies that I'd even heard of. Never heard of "host" in a church-y sense, but good to know that Catholics are at least consistent in giving every flipping part of the service a different name than everyone else.

Scuttle means to run? Not in the dictionaries I checked. I thought it meant to destroy something.

Amusingly, I clammed on clam in Bottom Feeders for $400. Negged with lungs for eyes, too; for some reason, I keep thinking that organ = something entirely inside you.

Not a chance on FJ!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Was this collusion? What was that? What was that? I didn't write down the scores, but the champ has 10200, went to 11200, the other guy had 15800 I think, and bet to go to double the champ's amount. I'm just shocked that neither tried to get the extra dollar in. I am very surprised the challenger didn't go for 20401, but in a weird way all of this makes sense.

BTW this was not a hard question, though I'd love if someone answered "Who is John Cougar?" He composed, and he conducts a conversation over dinner every night with his family. Is the "three Cs" a common expression? I don't think so, because no one has ever actually listened to a piece by Elliot Carter.

I liked this board, BTW.

I suspect the champ was "off" today, which means that I expect the guy in the middle to get butt stomped in tomorrow's episode.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:36 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Amazing J! board for me. I ran TV Logos, 31 Flavors, and "V", and missed only Mordred in King Arthur. However, I got only $200 in Tennis and Connecticut Yankee. The former had me clamming on wrist and calf, then negging on quads/rotator cuff, while I said "Dow Jones" instead of just "Dow" in the latter. Total: 21/30.

So of course, I crash and burn in DJ! In Title Roles, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was the only one of the five movies that I'd even heard of. Never heard of "host" in a church-y sense, but good to know that Catholics are at least consistent in giving every flipping part of the service a different name than everyone else.

Scuttle means to run? Not in the dictionaries I checked. I thought it meant to destroy something.

Amusingly, I clammed on clam in Bottom Feeders for $400. Negged with lungs for eyes, too; for some reason, I keep thinking that organ = something entirely inside you.

Not a chance on FJ!
"Scuttle" was a terrible question. Just mention sinking your own ship and move on, writers.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Never heard of "host" in a church-y sense, but good to know that Catholics are at least consistent in giving every flipping part of the service a different name than everyone else.
The host is not part of the service. It is the bread which gets consecrated to become the Blessed Sacrament, which is what I answered. It remains a host even after consecration.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:08 pm

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Never heard of "host" in a church-y sense, but good to know that Catholics are at least consistent in giving every flipping part of the service a different name than everyone else.
The host is not part of the service. It is the bread which gets consecrated to become the Blessed Sacrament, which is what I answered. It remains a host even after consecration.

Brian
I meant "part" as in "object or term used in the service in some way". Like how they call their hymnals "missalettes", the sermon a "homily", the keyboardist "an overweight Methodist with Asperger's"…
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Not sure why the champ only bet 1000. If he wanted to keep his lock over 3rd (yeah, I know), he could've bet ~3400 safely and won outright. Eh, whatever. Ties are cool.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Austin Powers wrote:
"Scuttle" was a terrible question. Just mention sinking your own ship and move on, writers.
Or at least this guy:

Austin Powers wrote:Was this collusion? What was that? What was that? I didn't write down the scores, but the champ has 10200, went to 11200, the other guy had 15800 I think, and bet to go to double the champ's amount. I'm just shocked that neither tried to get the extra dollar in. I am very surprised the challenger didn't go for 20401, but in a weird way all of this makes sense.

BTW this was not a hard question, though I'd love if someone answered "Who is John Cougar?" He composed, and he conducts a conversation over dinner every night with his family. Is the "three Cs" a common expression? I don't think so, because no one has ever actually listened to a piece by Elliot Carter.

I liked this board, BTW.

I suspect the champ was "off" today, which means that I expect the guy in the middle to get butt stomped in tomorrow's episode.
Well there's no reason to expect them both to add the extra dollar. Ben obviously expected the leader to make the cover bet, which would drop him to $11,199, so he bet to top that score by a dollar. The leader for whatever reason chose to save that buck, so they ended up tied. In most cases, Ben might as well bet a bunch more, either $3,400 to ensure at least second place, or all of his money in an attempt to add $9,200 to his payday if he wins. But Bamaman has a point that if the leader bets a bit more than the MSB, Ben could give himself a chance to to win on a miss by making just the $1,000 bet.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:13 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:he could've bet ~3400 safely
I read that as "he could've bet minus 3400". Bet a negative number and get it wrong on purpose!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 pm

Hunter Sandison: $15,800
Ben Ingram: $10,200

OK: Ben can max out at 20400.
So Hunter needs to wager 4600 to cover, 4601 to cover and win.
Most players opt for the latter, but Ben wagered guessing on the offer of a tie. He looks at Hunter's possible scores as 20400 or 112000.

Either way, Ben needs to be correct to win! Even wagering nothing, getting it wrong makes him a loser. So why does he also offer the tie? It makes no sense. It doesn't increase his chances of winning tomorrow. It probably lessens them; Hunter's good.
If Ben truly believed the tie was a chance, he should've gone all in. That's 9200 not in is pocket.
If I'm missing an advantage to his wager-- a clearly well thought out wager- please let me know!
Last edited by Paucle on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:I meant "part" as in "object or term used in the service in some way". Like how they call their hymnals "missalettes", the sermon a "homily", the keyboardist "an overweight Methodist with Asperger's"…
Homily & sermon? Two different things. (Although most Catholics that I know mistakenly call homilies sermons. And some priests give sermons when they are supposed to be giving homilies.)

Missalettes & hymnals? Two different things. And you left out missals.

While most of our keyboardists are overweight, not many of them are Methodists. And I couldn't tell you how many have Asperger's.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:26 pm

I liked that these two guys turned up in consecutive clues.

Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Juárez for Fox in the "F" in History DD? The hell? Juárez had been dead for more than a century by then! (I got it right, and he seemed to be in the news a lot around here when he was president.)

For "host", I said "communion"... Judges?