Monday, July 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6646, 2013-07-08

Ben Ingram game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Donna Hesson, a public-health informationist from Ellicott City, Maryland
Jonathan Couser, a medieval historian from Lee, New Hampshire
Ben Ingram, an I.T. consultant originally from Florence, South Carolina (whose 5-day cash winnings total $84,831)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you very much. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Ben, as you just heard, has won a lot of money. And I'm sure he enjoyed this long holiday weekend. Jonathan and Donna are the newcomers.
Welcome aboard. And good luck to all three of you. Let's go to work now in the Jeopardy! round, The first round of play --the one with the one Daily Double. And it'll come up in one of these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"UP" WORDS (3/5) (Alex: Those two letters at the beginning of each correct response.)
COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAMERS' SCHOOLS (2/5)
LANDS NAMED AFTER PEOPLE (5/5)
THE ARTS (5/5)
DOD ABCS (5/5) (Alex: Department of Defense.)
RANDOM HOUSE DEFINES IT AS... (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 17 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Jonathan: 7 R, 4 W
Donna: 0 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Ben had $3,000, Jonathan was scoreless, and Donna had nothing in the bank. Ben wagered $2,000.

RANDOM HOUSE DEFINES IT AS... $800: (2 words)
"Goal achieved at too great a cost"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ben: $6,600
Jonathan: $1,400
Donna: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: There's a musical connection between our two challengers on the program today. Donna Hesson is a member of a choir group and has been taking singing lessons from the same coach, I understand, for how long?

Donna: Going on 20 years.

Alex: Now, are you a soprano, an alto --what?

Donna: I'm a soprano.

Alex: Yeah?

Donna: Mm-hmm.

Alex: And coloratura?

Donna: Lyric.

Alex: Lyric. Okay.

Donna: Mm-hmm.

Alex: So you don't have to hit those really high notes too often.

Donna: Well, one can try. [ chuckles ]

Alex: Yeah. Okay, good.

Alex: Jonathan Couser is from New Hampshire. He is one half of a musical group called Hoot and Holler.

Jonathan: Hoot and Holler. That's right. My wife, Yvette, and I put this program together for children in library programs. We go and teach them basic songs, teach the parents how to sing along with the kids, too, because sometimes parents don't really know the older songs we find, and it helps the children.

Alex: Okay, when you're dealing with children, who are your most enthusiastic audiences --what age group?

Jonathan: Oh, right about 4 or 5 --they want to jump up and start moving and run around. And when you get the animal wrong in "Itsy Bitsy Spider,"
They are very eager to tell you which animal actually climbed up
the waterspout, and that usually gets them.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Ben Ingram is our champion, ladies and gentlemen, and as you heard at the beginning of the show, he has won five times now and over $100,000. We have not mentioned that he works at a bank, and he's also a descendant of...

Ben: Jesse James. [ laughter ]

Alex: That cause any problems at work, or...

Ben: That's why I don't tell people certain things. [ laughter ]

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAMERS' SCHOOLS $600: Archie Griffin & Eddie George
(Donna: What is Georgia?)

COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAMERS' SCHOOLS $800: Bobby Layne & Earl Campbell

COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAMERS' SCHOOLS $1000: Johnny Rodgers & Grant Wistrom

"UP" WORDS $400: This "up" word is a term in both boxing & bridge

RANDOM HOUSE DEFINES IT AS... $1000: (2 words) "a deep...color" or "woolen cloth of this color, used esp. for U.S. Army uniforms"
(Jonathan: What is navy?)
(Alex: Two words, remember...[*].)

"UP" WORDS $1000: This stroke for stringed instruments like violins is indicated in scores by the symbol V
(Jonathan: What is an upstroke?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ben: $11,200
Jonathan: $400
Donna: -$600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY FLORIDA (4/5)
TEACH YOUR CHILDREN (3/5)
POISONOUS PLANTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ROCK & ROLL CALL (1/5)
DUKE, DUKE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GOOSE! (2/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jonathan: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Donna: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ben snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Ben had $12,800, Jonathan had $400, and Donna had a deficit with -$600. Ben wagered $100.

DUKE, DUKE $1600: The Duke of Gloucester, better known as this, is seen here in a reconstruction done after he was unearthed in 2012

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ben who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Ben had $19,300, Jonathan had $1,200, and Donna was at $2,200. Ben wagered $100.

POISONOUS PLANTS $2000: The symptoms from eating this plant, Digitalis purpurea, include blurred vision, irregular heartbeat & hallucinations
(Alex: You have a humongous lead, and I'm eagerly awaiting your wager.)
(Ben: $100.)
[ laughter ]
(Ben: [After Alex read the clue] What are purple fingers?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TEACH YOUR CHILDREN $1200: A "push cut" helps when carving intricate shapes in this activity whose name comes from the Middle English for "knife"

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN $2000: In the firefighting acronym P.A.S.S.,
Pull the pin, Aim at the fire's base, Squeeze the lever, then do this until the fire is out
(Alex: It's what that person was doing -- [*]ing, [*].)

ROCK & ROLL CALL $800: Rick Savage plays bass in this band, whose name was initially spelled like a hard-of-hearing feline
(Jonathan: What are The Deaf Cats?)

ROCK & ROLL CALL $1200: In 2012 "Been Away Too Long" was the first single off this Chris Cornell band's first album in 16 years

LITERARY FLORIDA $2000: John D. MacDonald explored Florida's dark side in "Pale Gray for Guilt" & other novels about this McHero

ROCK & ROLL CALL $1600: Pete Wentz & Joe Trohman are 2 of the boys in this "boy" band
(Jonathan: What is Blink 182?)

ROCK & ROLL CALL $2000: Drummer Bun E. Carlos wants you to want this band, who had a career-making night "at Budokan"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ben: $22,000 (lock game)
Jonathan: $2,400
Donna: $1,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN-AMERICAN FIRSTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Ben: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $17,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jonathan: Wager $401 to cover Donna.
Donna: You have the hope of surpassing Jonathan for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $600 and $1,398.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Tracing her family to William Hood of 18th century Pennsylvania, Karen Batchelor made news as this organization's first African-American member

FINAL SCORES
Donna: $1,400 + $1,000 = $2,400 (What is the DAR) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jonathan: $2,400 + $600 = $3,000 (What is the Daughters of the American Revolution) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ben: $22,000 + $100 = $22,100 (What is the DAR?) (6-day champion: $106,931)
(Alex: [after revealing Ben's wager] Another $100? I've had you up to here, Ben. You know what I'm saying? $22,100. And congratulations now on a six-day total of $137,732. Wow.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ben: $22,400, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jonathan: $2,400, 11 R, 6 W
Donna: $1,400, 3 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $26,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Ben: 30/61 = .492
Jonathan: 12/58 = .207
Donna: 4/58 = .069
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LANDS NAMED AFTER PEOPLE $1000: A British territory, this island group about 700 miles east of the Carolinas is named for its discoverer
(Alex: Juan Bermúdez, yes.)

LANDS NAMED AFTER PEOPLE $200: This South American country is named for an Italian navigator (don't think too much)
(Jonathan: What...um...what is...uh...[*]?)
(Alex: You took much too long there, Jonathan. Sorry, you ran out of time.)

DOD ABCS $600: Saceur leads all NATO operations & is this commander, Europe
(Jonathan: What is Supreme Army Commander?)
(Alex: We're referring to NATO.)

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN $1600: It's adding an extra turn in the wide triangular knot that gives this necktie style its royal name
(Alex: Good. And you're on the plus side with $1,000, and you've just moved into second place!)
(Donna: Oh, my goodness.)
(Alex: Yeah! Keep it going!)

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) Place your fingers over the laces and flick the wrist downward to make your pass a perfect one of these

DUKE, DUKE $800: 14th c. Hapsburg ruler Rudolf IV lengthened "duke" to this, & the family used the title until the end of WWI
(Donna: What is Hapsburg?)

GOOSE! $400: Proverbially, "what's good for the goose is good for" this
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Pyrrhic victory
the Ohio State University
University of Texas
University of Nebraska
uppercut
olive drab
upbow
Richard III
foxglove
whittling
sweep
Def Leppard
Soundgarden
Travis McGee
Fall Out Boy
Cheap Trick
DAR, or Daughters of the American Revolution
Bermuda
Colombia
Supreme Allied Commander
Windsor
spiral
archduke
the gander
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

African-American Firsts
Tracing her family to William Hood of 18th century Pennsylvania, Karen Batchelor made news as this organization's first African-American member.

Spoiler
What is the Daughters of the American Revolution? (DAR)

Ben Ingram: $22,000+$100=$22,100...now a 6-day champion with $137,732
Jonathan Couser: $2,400+$600=$3,000
Donna Hesson: $1,400+$1,000=$2,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone else notice that they didn't sound the time's-up beeps on College for $600? Donna was negged, and they almost instantly cut to Alex giving the right answer.

3/30 and a $200 score at the end of J! for me, thanks to flubbing "Mauritius", clamming a lot (coin-flipped on roadie/groupie and landed on the edge; couldn't get "cessation" out of my head for "secession"; unsure on "pyrrhic victory"; had guesses on "uppercut" and "up-bow" but wasn't sure either fit). Also thought Land for $200 was asking for an island.

Got a little better with 9/27 in DJ!, but was still super-clammy, which cost me a run in Poison (wasn't too sure on hemlock or rhubarb). I think getitng Lach Trash on Def Leppard, foxglove, and Cheap Trick boosted my confidence a bit.

Spruce Goose was too easy at $2,000.

Was it just me, or was the LTaM kind of abrupt? Ben was able to call a clue before they sounded the beeps, and that doesn't usually happen.

Ben's $100 wagers were a riot.

Not a guess on FJ! I saw absolutely nothing pointing to DAR.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Maybe not the ugliest game of the season, but at least top (bottom?) 5. Yikes. Had to be the lowest combined Coryat for two challengers.

I can't argue with any of the champ's wagers, but come on!!! You've got 'em beat, pour it on! Left at least 10-15K on the table :)

Instaget FJ, what else could it be?

The Deaf Cats! I still haven't stopped laughing on the inside.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

This was just a painful episode. Ben obviously played pretty good, but there was a lot of Lach Trash and this was mainly the product of two contestants who were not television ready.

Boooooooo for including that Frank Beard factoid. It's the uber-chestnut of chestnuts!

I'm mildly angry at Ben for not betting more. If he played loose, he could have had a record payout. Also, he's a Southern white male who doesn't know college football, and that just seems wrong.

I have no idea what the DAR actually does but it pretty much had to be the answer there.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, what else could it be?
For all I know, it could've been the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Was it just me, or was the LTaM kind of abrupt? Ben was able to call a clue before they sounded the beeps, and that doesn't usually happen.
I think they realized what a monstrosity this episode was. Since Ben wasn't going to "make things interesting" they just euthanized the whole thing.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

TenPoundHammer wrote:

That would be ironic given the PTC didn't exist until the 1930s.

Also, all I have to say why didn't he wager $99 in final? $137,731 looks a lot more cool than $137,732.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
elijahjt
Contributor

Post by elijahjt »

Alex's statement in Double Jeopardy! "And that brings you out of the hole... and into second place" pretty much summed things up.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

I know that in Little League games there's a "mercy rule" when one team has an overwhelming lead. I wonder if Ben's competitors were wishing for such a rule today.

Since this was a Monday episode, I wonder what was going on through the minds of the other players in the Green Room, seeing the steamroller that is Ben crush all that was before him.

As a fellow N.H. resident, was disappointed that Jonathan didn't do any better.

As a mystery author, was bummed that no one got the Travis McGee answer for John D. MacDonald and Florida writers.

And the $100 wagers.... not sure if it's funny or insulting. Still trying to make up my mind.

FJ was an Instaget.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With six wins & $137,732, Ben remains in third place in the 2013-14 ToC standings.

Andrew Moore is in second place with six wins & $137,803, only $71 ahead of Ben. :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It's hard for me to judge the contestants for this one. I thought that this was a very, very well written board, but it was also hard. Well, I didn't think that it was so much "hard" while I was watching it; I just thought that it attacked my weaknesses. Since it attacked my weaknesses it could have done the same to the contestants, so I will reserve judgement.

I over thought the "Colombia" clue and drew a total blank. Geography is usually my best category but I was 2/5 in that one, though most of them were clues that I would have had with more time to think.

I was 0/5 in college football and had no idea on any of them, but I made the lucky guess on Nebraska at $1000 by just guessing a school that is not known for anything except football. I would have never had the confidence to buzz but I thought that it was kind of cool.

Clues on Fall Out Boy have no place on the regular show, and would even be pushing it for college or teen. The clue should have at least mentioned their most famous song (I guess that would be "Sugar, We're Going Down"?) and called them a pop punk band instead of a boy band, but it would have been better not to have a clue on them at all. It was funny though that the new male contestant actually did guess a pop punk band (Blink 182). The clue on Fall Out Boy aside, I couldn't believe how badly the contestants did in the rock 'n roll category.

FJ was an instant get. It was a cool fact but was a very easy clue.

Congrats to Ben on becoming a superchamp!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

That would be ironic given the PTC didn't exist until the 1930s.
I don't know what would be ironic about that. The member in question did not join until 1977. Obviously, being African-American was enough to keep you out of the DAR for 80+ years.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Driving home from work today, the song Legs came on the radio. I started thinking about the beardless Mr. Beard. Then it comes up on the show.

Usually a butt kicking like that is fun to watch, but this was just bad.

When Ben stumbled through college football, I felt him dropping from gold to silver in Mark's rankings.

Not quite an instaget, started with the Mayflower descendants group, but couldn't think of their actual name and then noticed her ancestor was in the 1700s and went to the DAR.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:Driving home from work today, the song Legs came on the radio.
How did you manage to get a song to drive?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StevenH wrote:Clues on Fall Out Boy have no place on the regular show, and would even be pushing it for college or teen. The clue should have at least mentioned their most famous song (I guess that would be "Sugar, We're Going Down"?) and called them a pop punk band instead of a boy band, but it would have been better not to have a clue on them at all. It was funny though that the new male contestant actually did guess a pop punk band (Blink 182). The clue on Fall Out Boy aside, I couldn't believe how badly the contestants did in the rock 'n roll category.
Not just any boy band. The clue referenced "boy" band, which means that "boy" will appear in the response. Or at least that's (I think) how it's supposed to work; there is no "great" in the show Performances.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Not a guess on FJ! I saw absolutely nothing pointing to DAR.
Other than she was someone's daughter and she traced ancestors to around the time of the American Revolution, I see your point.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:Driving home from work today, the song Legs came on the radio.
ooh, great song!
She's got legs/ she's not a double amputee
She's got legs/ and neither one is wooden
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Good for Ben on becoming a superchamp! As someone who was an extremely conservative bettor herself, I certainly can't find fault with Ben's wagers. Kind of nice for him not to rub it in, I thought. And MORE important to get that 6th win. That being said, I felt really good about that category, so I probably would have wagered at least $5-10K.

Don't underestimate the effect of a Monday game against a 5-time returner; there's a lot of intimidation factor right there, and Ben took advantage of his experience.

Instaget FJ.

And "LIKE" on the above post, Paucle :)