Tuesday, July 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:31 pm

The Colonel Kurtz neg is precisely why you only give last names, but we all know that. Kurtz would have sufficed when asking about either the book or movie.

When the LTAM warning was given there were 6 clues left, Liz was well under lockout status with control of the board. Naturally she chose the smallest clue, brilliant.

The champ's cute little $2900 wager could have haunted him in a big way, but if the challengers can't answer a simple geography question they don't deserve to win.

Jeopardy lover
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Jeopardy lover » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Can the archivists please get today's game archived in the next hour? They have been really slow lately.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:42 pm

National Official Languages
This country has an area of only 275 square miles, but has 4 official languages: English, Tamil, Chinese & Malay.

SpoilerShow
What is Sinagpore? Jeremy said Bhutan; Liz said Sri Lanka.

Ben Ingram: $19,900+$101=$20,001...now a 7-day champion with $157,733
Liz Kelly: $10,000-$9,901=$99
Jeremy Husen: $9,000-$9,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Jeopardy lover wrote:Can the archivists please get today's game archived in the next hour? They have been really slow lately.
Yeah, that happens in the summer. Ingratitude for the hours of volunteer work that go into creating the archive, however, happens year-round.

-M

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:33 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Jeopardy lover wrote:Can the archivists please get today's game archived in the next hour? They have been really slow lately.
Yeah, that happens in the summer. Ingratitude for the hours of volunteer work that go into creating the archive, however, happens year-round.

-M
I really hope that post was a joke.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:02 pm

billy pilgrim wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:

-M
I really hope that post was a joke.
No, just badly worded, like everything else I write. I should have been more direct, like I used to be at the old board. I'll try again.
Thanks for your concern! During the summertime, and as the season winds down, the volunteers can often take more time to complete games than they do during the rest of the year. There are many reasons for that, most of which can be summed up as "Things happen."

That said, demanding that games be entered on your time table is obnoxious, especially as your first and only post on the board. If it were up to me, today's game would never be entered, because I'm a crabby, spiteful little man sometimes. Lucky for everyone, the rest of the J-Archive team are a much friendlier bunch. Look for today's game to be entered sometime after it airs. Thanks again!

-Myron

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:20 pm

I meant i hoped the original post was a joke. I totally agree with your response.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Agriculture for $400: I assume "bull" is okay for cattle?

State Nicknames flummoxed me. Never would've thought of Hawaii at $200, and saw no way to figure out Arkansas at $1000.

Color for $400, I saw "blah blah cadet" and went with blue, the only "cadet" color I know. I'd never heard of that last color (what was it again?)

Clammed on Swimsuit to keep me at 4/5 in Turkish.

New Inventions was very baffling too. I'd never heard of Google Glass, and $800 was my only get there.

$2000 was my only miss in Can and "Im".

Movie Song should've been 4/5. I knew Bette Midler and "Gonna Fly Now", but both were way too far back in the mind. The Jungle Book was way overvalued at $1600.

No guess on FJ! as usual. Singapore's only that big? I thought for sure it was larger.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Golf wrote:When the LTAM warning was given there were 6 clues left, Liz was well under lockout status with control of the board. Naturally she chose the smallest clue, brilliant.
Then later, having broken the lock, Jeremy goes for a high value clue, and promptly shoots himself in the foot. Yeesh.

Instaget FJ, that combination of languages was like four giant arrows pointing to the right answer on the map. Mildly surprised that it was a single get.

At this rate, he might be here another week or two.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Pre-called India and Singapore.

Surprised to see only one person come up with the correct response. Malay is the giveaway in that clue as there are only 3 nations that teach Malaysian Malay(Bahasa Melay) and they are Malaysia, SINGAPORE, and Brunei. We will not get into Bahasa Indo here.

Tamil(most overseas Indian in the past; analogous to Cantonese and Hokkien/Fukien Chinese) implies South Indian so where else can we lead to on the map??

Oh yeah, majority is Chinese in Singapore.
Last edited by CyrusChan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I agree with what Golf said. These opponents seemed knowledgeable but Keystone Kopped their way into oblivion. And I'm stunned that people go on Jeopardy without a basic knowledge of geography. It just seems like such a natural thing for trivia types to know.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:02 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:State Nicknames flummoxed me. Never would've thought of Hawaii at $200, and saw no way to figure out Arkansas at $1000.
Hot Springs would get you to Arkansas.

Alex shouldn't have been surprised at Ben's "Idylls of the King" answer. The first works by Tennyson that should come to mind are "Charge of the Light Brigade" and "Idylls of the King".
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 pm

silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:State Nicknames flummoxed me. Never would've thought of Hawaii at $200, and saw no way to figure out Arkansas at $1000.
Hot Springs would get you to Arkansas.

Alex shouldn't have been surprised at Ben's "Idylls of the King" answer. The first works by Tennyson that should come to mind are "Charge of the Light Brigade" and "Idylls of the King".

the first works of Lord T that come to my mind are Ulyssess and Tithonus and nothing else after them.

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:05 pm

I did briefly consider Sri lanka because of the Tamil, but quickly moved to somewhere near china. Gotta be Singapore to be that small.
The agriculture q re tractors- I thought most farm tractors ran on diesel, which is sort of like kerosene, but certainly not the same thing.
The "arkansas toothpick' , I believe ,is a type of knife
Last edited by billy pilgrim on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:07 pm

I was surprised to see the clue on California in the state nicknames category that mentioned "Eureka" valued at $800 in the J! round...but then the female contestant said Alaska. I got Hawaii at the top of the board but probably would have said California if it had not come up already. Like TPH, I had absolutely no idea at on the Arkansas clue that was at the bottom of the board in that category.

This was a great game and a pretty good board.

I had absolutely no idea on the "rocket" Daily Double. Props to Ben for nailing that one.

For FJ my first thoughts were Sri Lanka, Brunei, and Singapore. I was able to eliminate Sri Lanka from the languages that were listed. I deliberated between the other 2 for about a second before I realized that Brunei is probably larger than 275 square miles. I am very thankful that the clue included the country's size.

Ben impressed me with the Idylls of the King get on the DD. I have seen that work come up on the show a few times and it always seems to stump the contestants. Ben definitely has a wide knowledge base and is great on the buzzer and on strategy, but I would still say that his knowledge base isn't as deep as someone like Colby Burnett, Jason Keller, or Keith Whitener. But I wouldn't say that the next ToC field does have anyone who is that deep, yet.

Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm

With seven wins & $157,733, Ben moves into second place in the 2013-14 ToC standings.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:13 pm

StevenH wrote:I was surprised to see the clue on California in the state nicknames category that mentioned "Eureka" valued at $800 in the J! round...but then the female contestant said Alaska. I got Hawaii at the top of the board but probably would have said California if it had not come up already. Like TPH, I had absolutely no idea at on the Arkansas clue that was at the bottom of the board in that category.
I forgot that California had been used already, which was probably what flustered me at $200. Almost said it again there.
silverscreentest wrote:Hot Springs would get you to Arkansas.
Yeah, I got that after the fact, but I was so fixated on "toothpicks?!? WTF?!"
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:16 pm

One of Ben's irksome things to me is "Where is..." for anything that's a place name. I don't think that "W" has come close to applying on his usage yet. The clue has nothing to do with where it's located.
I think it would've been cool if someone had thought to give the actual question for the state nicknames category-- i.e., not "What is Arkansas?" which lends itself to thousands of possible replies, but rather "What are alternative nicknames for Arkansas?" which fits their clue precisely. Or would that earn them frownie faces from the producers?
silverscreentest wrote:Alex shouldn't have been surprised at Ben's "Idylls of the King" answer. The first works by Tennyson that should come to mind are "Charge of the Light Brigade" and "Idylls of the King".
Exactly. I can't even remember the other two he had in "Authors."
TenPoundHammer wrote:Agriculture for $400: I assume "bull" is okay for cattle?
Depends. What was the clue again?
TenPoundHammer wrote:I'd never heard of Google Glass
That was all over tech news just a couple weeks ago. Were you napping? ;)
I know, right? Boy, that's been pissing me off. I wanted to REALLY impress someone and answer like everything tonight, and I wasn't sure if I'd have PC access today, so I checked yesterday and today's game wasn't up yet! Sheesh. Someone needs a pay cut! SLACKER! Or hire someone else who can do it right.