J! 30th anniversary tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: J! 30th anniversary tournament

Post by Bamaman »

When we get to the final tournament, how will they group the players for the quarterfinals? Will there be one from each decade in each game? Will the three Monday winners play each other on Monday and so on through the week or will they group them randomly (or by some method to ensure certain players advancing)?

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:When we get to the final tournament, how will they group the players for the quarterfinals? Will there be one from each decade in each game? Will the three Monday winners play each other on Monday and so on through the week or will they group them randomly (or by some method to ensure certain players advancing)?
I'm not sure if anything has been printed anywhere about this, but I would certainly think that one from each decade in each game is a safe bet. I would be very surprised if they had the Monday winners play Monday, etc. It seems much more likely that they will mix and match and go with whatever matchups they like best. The number of men and women advancing could come into play, depending on how many there are of each gender.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

As I posted in another thread, I suggest that it will be each game containing a winner from each of the Decades. That fits with the name of the tournament (Battle of the Decades).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

If anyone's interested, I got to speak with Ken Jennings on my station this week, and we chatted a bit about the battle of the decades and other J topics.

http://wamc.org/post/ken-jennings-headi ... ivia-books
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

I enjoyed reading the article about your own Jeopardy experience, but you might regret the comment you wrote about the "War of the Worlds" broadcast. . .

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Go to http://www.youtube.com/user/JEOPARDY to see clips of the contestants from the 90s(1994-2003) Battle of the Decades week; the clips were just placed there today.

legendneverdies

http://www.crackle.com/c/jeopardy-flashback has put up a game for each of the 1994-2003(90s) Battle of the Decades players. The Rachael Schwartz game is definitely not in the archive. Four of the five Ryan Holznagel and Michael Dupee games are in the archive. Shane Whitlock's two final games in his college tourney are in the archive. All the other games at a quick glance are already archived.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Well, so much for the theory that Crackle episodes were being selected on the basis of whether they would help the Archivists; Fritz's fourth episode and Michael's fifth are the ones available. (Shane's is the first of the college final games, and Rachael's is her fourth, in which she plays another Schwartz.)

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Would that TPTB would want to help the Archivists. I guess we are lucky they let us exist.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:Go to http://www.youtube.com/user/JEOPARDY to see clips of the contestants from the 90s(1994-2003) Battle of the Decades week; the clips were just placed there today.
I had a chance to watch all the videos. Fritz calling the caller id where "Jeopardy!" appeared, the call waiting had me wondering about his phone system.

As of this post the view count goes from a low of 16 for two players to a high of 33 for one player. Guess the lows and the highs.

Dave Abbott
Jill Bunzendahl Chimka
Robin Carroll
Mark Dawson
Mike Dupee
Bob Harris
Fritz Holznagel
Dan Melia
Pam Mueller
Claudia Perry
Brad Rutter
Rachael Schwartz
Babu Srinivasan
Eddie Timanus
Shane Whitlock

View Counts:
Spoiler
Dave Abbott : 20
Jill Bunzendahl Chimka: 22
Robin Carroll: 32
Mark Dawson: 16
Mike Dupee: 16
Bob Harris: 28
Fritz Holznagel: 25
Dan Melia: 33
Pam Mueller: 27
Claudia Perry: 26
Brad Rutter: 31
Rachael Schwartz: 24
Babu Srinivasan: 25
Eddie Timanus: 26
Shane Whitlock: 24

Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

I was pleased to note that I do actually appear in that longer video with everyone. Finally I have proof that I am not just imagining that I was there. Was not surprised to see that they didn't include any of my interview stuff. I wish they would send me the raw footage.
Brian Weikle
Season 19

legendneverdies

About the one unarchived game, the Rachael Schwartz game:
Spoiler
Rachael was a co-champion in game four

pamiam
Contributor

Post by pamiam »

So the matchups and some photos from the '90s taping seem to be up: http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... cades/90s/

Does anyone have any idea why my winnings are listed as $98,599? The car can't possibly be that much (and no one else seems to have cars included). It's not right if you consider UToC winnings (not that anyone else's are included either). Is it just someone else's total they've accidentally appended to my photo? I mean, I'm not complaining--it makes me look like a total boss. :)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

pamiam wrote:Does anyone have any idea why my winnings are listed as $98,599? The car can't possibly be that much (and no one else seems to have cars included).
Maybe they hid a $25,000 check in the trunk? You did check the trunk, right?

(and the current cost of an S60 is about 45K, so I doubt it was anything close to that in 2000)

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

pamiam wrote:So the matchups and some photos from the '90s taping seem to be up: http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... cades/90s/

Does anyone have any idea why my winnings are listed as $98,599? The car can't possibly be that much (and no one else seems to have cars included). It's not right if you consider UToC winnings (not that anyone else's are included either). Is it just someone else's total they've accidentally appended to my photo? I mean, I'm not complaining--it makes me look like a total boss. :)
I could not find any TOCer with a $98,599 for original games. Dave Abbott is $68,599 so perhaps something happend to flip his total on you? Your trophy was made from a precious metal? Your podium has appreciated in value? Yes, it does not seem to have anything to do with the UTOC.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

econgator wrote:
pamiam wrote:Does anyone have any idea why my winnings are listed as $98,599? The car can't possibly be that much (and no one else seems to have cars included).
Maybe they hid a $25,000 check in the trunk? You did check the trunk, right?

(and the current cost of an S60 is about 45K, so I doubt it was anything close to that in 2000)
A 2004 Volvo S60R was valued at $40,780 at the time I signed for one.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

pamiam wrote:So the matchups and some photos from the '90s taping seem to be up: http://www.jeopardy.com/minisites/battl ... cades/90s/

You aren't kidding that something is up. Your total is $43,000 more than Brad's. I see that you got to play against Ryan. I'm glad that I didn't hear anything about it when I was at O'Brien's. Of course you both got to play against Dan Melia so I'll just have to see if that has something to do with it. 8-)

ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Winner's circle interviews are up for the 80s week.

jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Pam it looks like the page has been updated to include all career winnings, the same as what is shown for the 80s champs. Just don't look at Brad's obscene total. I'm rooting for you next week!

KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Okay, my Bronze, Silver and Gold groupings for the second week:

Gold: Brad Rutter, Michael Dupee, Dan Melia, Bob Harris, Pam Mueller

Silver: Dave Abbott, Shane Whitlock, Babu Srinivasan, Ryan Holznagel, Mark Dawson

Bronze: Robin Carroll, Claudia Perry, Rachael Schwartz, Eddie Timanus, Jill Bunzendahl-Chimka

If I were ranking them at the height of their powers, it would be:

Gold: Brad Rutter, Michael Dupee, Dan Melia, Shane Whitlock, Babu Srinivasan

Silver: Bob Harris, Dave Abbott, Pam Mueller, Ryan Holznagel, Mark Dawson,

Bronze: Robin Carroll, Eddie Timanus, Rachael Schwartz, Claudia Perry, Jill Bunzendahl-Chimka

My picks for each game:

Monday: Babu Srinivasan

Tuesday: Pam Mueller

Wednesday: Bob Harris

Thursday: Dave Abbott

Friday: Brad Rutter (I came SO close to choosing Michael Dupee as my upset pick, and it would not surprise me at all if he won)