J! 30th anniversary tournament

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TomSegi
Contributor

Re: J! 30th anniversary tournament

Post by TomSegi »

I'm sure I can find it somewhere in this thread but for the sake of time, what is the format of the tournament?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

TomSegi wrote:I'm sure I can find it somewhere in this thread but for the sake of time, what is the format of the tournament?
The first week of games consists of 15 players who each played in one of the ToCs from 1985-1993. That week airs February 3-7.

The second week of games consists of 15 players who each played in one of the ToCs from 1994-2003. That week airs in early March.

The third week of games consists of 15 players who each played in one of the ToCs from 2004-2013. That week airs in late March.

The 15 winners of those 15 games will then compete in a two week tournament that is in the format of a regular ToC. I am not sure when that will air.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

StevenH wrote: The first week of games consists of 15 players who each played in one of the ToCs from 1985-1993.
1986-1993 (1985 got snubbed).
StevenH wrote: The third week of games consists of 15 players who each played in one of the ToCs from 2004-2013.
14 players who each played in one of the ToCs from 2004-2013, and Ken Jennings.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, Ken Jennings did play in the UToC, which is a special ToC.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

Angry because Jeopardy won't be on Thursday and Friday because of the Olympics preview and the opening ceremony. :( I didn't even realize it until now. Here's hoping my two favorites from those days win so I can see them play later on in the tournament.
Not Jeopardy! material :(
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

stephanie wrote:Angry because Jeopardy won't be on Thursday and Friday because of the Olympics preview and the opening ceremony. :( I didn't even realize it until now. Here's hoping my two favorites from those days win so I can see them play later on in the tournament.
You should check the website of your local station, and try to find a program guide. They may be airing Jeopardy on a different channel, if they have a local sister station, or airing it at a different time than normal, such as 2 AM. You could also try emailing the local station before Thursday, because they may be airing it at a different time and not have it listed in their program guide.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
stephanie wrote:Angry because Jeopardy won't be on Thursday and Friday because of the Olympics preview and the opening ceremony. :( I didn't even realize it until now. Here's hoping my two favorites from those days win so I can see them play later on in the tournament.
You should check the website of your local station, and try to find a program guide. They may be airing Jeopardy on a different channel, if they have a local sister station, or airing it at a different time than normal, such as 2 AM. You could also try emailing the local station before Thursday, because they may be airing it at a different time and not have it listed in their program guide.
Now that Jeopardy has this Crackle thing set up, maybe Jeopardy! itself should play the previous day's show, say, on Crackle every day.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Now that Jeopardy has this Crackle thing set up, maybe Jeopardy! itself should play the previous day's show, say, on Crackle every day.
I bet they would never do it that quickly, as the local affiliates still want people to watch it on their station, to see their ads. Obviously affiliates that preempt the show or move it to a poor timeslot wouldn't have this complaint, but I don't know if there's any realistic way to let viewers in some area watch the show while preventing everyone else from doing the same.

I could maybe see them putting episodes up a week later, or something like that. This would be a great thing.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Also, NBC's weekday Olympic schedule (2/10-14 & 17-21) is from 3 to 5 PM (ET) or 2 to 4 (CT), so some stations will be affected by that coverage. :roll:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:... but I don't know if there's any realistic way to let viewers in some area watch the show while preventing everyone else from doing the same.
Or to not let viewers in some area watch while allowing 'everyone else' to watch? That, I can say for certain, is very realistic.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

rmfromfla wrote:Also, NBC's weekday Olympic schedule (2/10-14 & 17-21) is from 3 to 5 PM (ET) or 2 to 4 (CT), so some stations will be affected by that coverage. :roll:
Ellen will air at 2 p.m. instead of 4 p.m. on my NBC affiliate. I can't complain about that schedule change compared to others who won't (or may not) get J! at all for two weeks plus. My sympathies.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Our local station, WJHG, in Panama City might have had a clause early on in its J! contract that the show couldn't be run at a time other than regularly scheduled, although that's been relaxed in a few situations like Christmas. The 2006 Winter Games in Torino pre-empted the show for two weeks (regular & Teen) & then the 2012 London games wiped out the Kids Week season finale (the station loudly promoted J! being off the air during the Olympics).

The new/second station, WRGX, in Dothan, may be more flexible as some of the pre-empted syndies will be rerun next morning around 3AM. 8-)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Looks like I caught a break, as my Indianapolis NBC station is airing Jeopardy! at 7:00 instead of 7:30 (sorry, Wheel fans) on Thursday and Friday of this week, plus the next two weeks during the Olympics. Thanks, WTHR!
bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:... but I don't know if there's any realistic way to let viewers in some area watch the show while preventing everyone else from doing the same.
Or to not let viewers in some area watch while allowing 'everyone else' to watch? That, I can say for certain, is very realistic.

Brian
Well, I know they can screw Canadians over, but I wasn't sure how easy it is to, for example, let people in Scranton watch online since it was preempted on their local station, but not let people in Philly watch since they could have watched it locally. I know these things could be done, by either authenticating through your cable provider, or maybe tracking your IP address to determine what TV market you live it, but it seems like it would be a lot more work than anyone would be willing to do to help people catch missed episodes of Jeopardy!

And by "anyone", I mean a company like Sony, not a kind, generous soul like bpmod.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Am I the only one who has Jeopardy! on ABC?

Also, why aren't they doing three straight weeks (this week 80s, next 90s, then 2000s)?
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Orlando, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Raleigh, Chicago, Miami, Seattle & a few more ABC affiliates. 8-)
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Washington D.C. is also an ABC affiliate.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
ACW

Post by ACW »

georgespelvin wrote:Washington D.C. is also an ABC affiliate.
Well, yeah, that's me :lol: But again, why are they splitting the weeks?
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

ACW wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:Washington D.C. is also an ABC affiliate.
Well, yeah, that's me :lol: But again, why are they splitting the weeks?
The correct answer to this question is "why do they need a reason?".

The more practical answer is that five consecutive weeks of tournament play is somewhat disruptive to the regular continuity of the show. They prefer not to have such a long gap between consecutive episodes.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ACW wrote:Am I the only one who has Jeopardy! on ABC?

Also, why aren't they doing three straight weeks (this week 80s, next 90s, then 2000s)?
I did a little spreadsheet project a couple years ago to see how many markets aired J! on each network's affiliates. Some have probably changed since then, but it is actually very balanced between ABC, CBS, and NBC in number of markets. There are roughly 210 stations airing Jeopardy! in the US, and each of the big three networks has between 60 and 70 of those, with just a handful on FOX and a couple independent stations or MyNetwork affiliates. ABC seems to have a great many of the larger markets, as detailed above by rmfromfla and georgespelvin, so the number of viewers with J! available on an ABC station may be nearly 50%, with CBS and NBC both in the 25% range.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

For those in the Detroit area, the NBC affiliate will apparently be showing Jeopardy! at 7 (as opposed to the usual 7:30) on Thursday and Friday.