Friday, July 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, July 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Which DD had only 12 options, again?
I've erased the recording, but it was answering for a sign of the Zodiac.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Hoo boy! Not the prettiest game to watch, for sure. Never had a chance at FJ despite having read the book ages ago. "Green hunting cap" just isn't much of a TOM if you ask me, though it ain't liederkranz bad.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
Oh yeah, that one. For some reason, every time the clue asks for a sign of the zodiac, I always lock up and completely forget every single one.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Oh yeah, that one. For some reason, every time the clue asks for a sign of the zodiac, I always lock up and completely forget every single one.
Legitimate question: Do you know your own sign of the Zodiac?

(The modern popularity of horoscopes continues to baffle me.)

-M3
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Legitimate question: Do you know your own sign of the Zodiac?

-M3
I don't believe in it, but I do know that I'm a Pisces. I'm a really crappie person with no sole, who constantly flounders around just for the halibut.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Ah, yes, I remember the zodiac DD now. I thought that it was weird because it appeared that time was called on the contestant before she could answer it. I thought that contestants had an unlimited amount of time to start their answers on DDs. Did she say something and I just missed it, or am I mistaken about the rule?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think the amount of time given just varies based on how Alex reads the contestant's facial expression, body language, etc.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

seaborgium wrote:I think the amount of time given just varies based on how Alex reads the contestant's facial expression, body language, etc.
Oh ok, thanks. That makes sense. In that case I can't really blame her for not being able to pick one in time.

Also, I haven't traveled much in my life but I have flown into and out of LaGuardia quite a few times and I never thought that it was that bad, even though it's not as nice of an airport as Hartsfield. When I flew 3 months ago LaGuardia was the easier one to get through, not that Hartsfield was that bad.
waynomo
Contributor

Post by waynomo »

davey wrote:I like Alan and I hope he wins some more.
For what, comic relief?

So they have these three really poor contestants after a string of really excellent champions.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

waynomo wrote:
davey wrote:I like Alan and I hope he wins some more.
For what, comic relief?

So they have these three really poor contestants after a string of really excellent champions.
Yes, partly...A sense of humor is a gift.
Woof wrote:... Never had a chance at FJ despite having read the book ages ago. "Green hunting cap" just isn't much of a TOM if you ask me, though it ain't liederkranz bad.
I didn't remember the cover or the cap. The TOM was "fleshy balloon of a head"...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Legitimate question: Do you know your own sign of the Zodiac?

-M3
I don't believe in it, but I do know that I'm a Pisces. I'm a really crappie person with no sole, who constantly flounders around just for the halibut.
When you're in the choir, what part do you sing?
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Post by Uncle Jeff »

NB: Alan Baltis is a long-time personal friend of mine (pure coincidence). Since several of you have expressed desire to see more players find JBoard, I've just emailed him directly to invite him to join us and comment on his games, starting with this thread.

Y'all have the next few minutes to review yer "critical" posts herein and possibly choose more... judicious wording (if reflection might lead you to soften the manner in which you described level of play) :oops:

We do want players to find us, feel welcome, and grant us a stage-side PoV, right?
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brandone wrote:Everything from not being able to ring in properly, to missing easy DD's and low dollar amount clues, and a lot of misses. MISTAKING THE ICONIC FACE OF ANDREW JACKSON.... that's what really pushed me over the ship.
I know! Jackson and Buchanan look NOTHING alike:
Image Image
For starters, Jackson has his name in all caps in a little ribbon there at the bottom. Plus, he looks like he should be wearing a green hunting cap. Just sayin'.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

thenextofken wrote:Mormons for Latter-Day Saints? Judges?
Of course. No question.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

scott_in_auburn wrote:Got totally sidetracked by "hunting cap" on FJ. Was thinking of Holden Caulfield and thought I had it. Even though I've read COD twice. DOH!
I thought of Holden Caulfield too but was sure that wasn't it. I wrote The Catcher in the Rye anyway, just to have something. So that was my official guess. Later I recalled that I didn't just need to think it was wrong, I had enough information to know it. The first line of Catcher, as I recall, is something like "Well, I'll tell you about it if you really want to know." Checking just now, I see that it's "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is...." So I was off, but not green hunting cap on a fleshy head off.
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Post by Uncle Jeff »

opusthepenguin wrote: I wrote The Catcher in the Rye anyway, just to have something.
Wow, we have a famous author with us on this board! Hey Mr Salinger, aren't you supposed to be dead?
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

I left out the "A" in "A Confederacy of Dunces." In hindsight, my brain was trying to remember to leave out the "O" from the author's surname.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leander wrote:I had no chance at that FJ, and I read the book once years ago. What is so memorable about its first line that makes it FJ worthy? And no additional clue to reason your way to it?
I can't think of any reason they expect contestants to know that. The J! common knowledge facts to be committed to memory about A Confederacy of Dunces are as follows. (Portions in parentheses don't need to be known precisely, but at least have a rough feel for them.):
  • Author: John Kennedy Toole. The middle name is essential in case they allude to it with the adjective "presidential" or similar.
  • Toole is from New Orleans
  • Toole was unable to get the book published in his lifetime and committed suicide (outside Biloxi, MS in 1969).
  • Toole's mother succeeded in getting the book published (in 1980, 11 years) after his death.
  • Optional: Novelist Walker Percy was also instrumental in getting it published and wrote a foreword. They won't ask about that directly, but might mention Percy as a TOM since he is a Southern author.
  • For the book, Toole posthumously won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction (in 1981).
I think that's it. Anyone think I'm missing something that the writers should reasonably expect knowledge of?
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

The fellow under the hunting cap was the very eccentric Ignatius J. Reilly. It's really a funny book detailing his misadventures. People should read it rather than study lists of facts about it.(That's how i instantly got this FJ!) Oh and the title is from a quote by Swift (paraphrasing here) "When a true genius enters upon the world, you will know him because the dunces will all be in confederacy against him' Oh, and it's picaresque.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

billy pilgrim wrote:My vote for best laugh of the night- Miami-St Petersburg Airport. That's a long cab ride from everywhere.
Eh, not much worse than Peotone, Illinois, where they occasionally threaten to build a new airport to serve Chicago.

At one point in my college days at Northwestern, when that airport was being seriously discussed, the morning radio show I listened to would end the weather report by giving the temperatures at O'Hare, Midway, and "Peotone International Airport."