Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3616
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 3616
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

KurtWeber
Contributor
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 pm
Location: Princeton, Indiana
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KurtWeber » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Second missed FJ in a row.

I answered "The Story of Philosophy" for the Will and Ariel Durant one (I was reading it just a couple of weeks ago, it was fresh in my mind), initially gave myself credit for it, then after the was show pulled it out to double-check and it turns out his wife didn't collaborate on that one, so I negged it.

"Gallophobia," on the other hand, was an instaget for me--"Gallomania" is a term that comes up rather often in the historiography of the period I study, so the transition from "-mania" to "-phobia" was an easy one.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8754
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:49 pm

KurtWeber wrote:Second missed FJ in a row.

I answered "The Story of Philosophy" for the Will and Ariel Durant one (I was reading it just a couple of weeks ago, it was fresh in my mind), initially gave myself credit for it, then after the was show pulled it out to double-check and it turns out his wife didn't collaborate on that one, so I negged it.

"Gallophobia," on the other hand, was an instaget for me--"Gallomania" is a term that comes up rather often in the historiography of the period I study, so the transition from "-mania" to "-phobia" was an easy one.
I'm sure I heard that "Gallophobia" (fear of the French) before, complete with cheap wine TOM. Since my computers down its hard to check, can someone confirm its been used before?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 949
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lisa0012 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

dhkendall wrote:
KurtWeber wrote:Second missed FJ in a row.

I answered "The Story of Philosophy" for the Will and Ariel Durant one (I was reading it just a couple of weeks ago, it was fresh in my mind), initially gave myself credit for it, then after the was show pulled it out to double-check and it turns out his wife didn't collaborate on that one, so I negged it.

"Gallophobia," on the other hand, was an instaget for me--"Gallomania" is a term that comes up rather often in the historiography of the period I study, so the transition from "-mania" to "-phobia" was an easy one.
I'm sure I heard that "Gallophobia" (fear of the French) before, complete with cheap wine TOM. Since my computers down its hard to check, can someone confirm its been used before?
Yup, got it.

11-26-2004
FRAIDY CAT $400
Gallophobia is not a fear of wine, but a fear of this country that produces a lot of wine

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7205
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Between the Wilmington DE/NC trap and saying "mini" for "hoop skirt", I had minus $1200 at the first break. I finished J! with 2/30 and negative $600. This is the first time I've ever had a negative Coryat coming out of a round.

How can I tell that WA has a shorter shore than Oregon? Even looking at the map, they both look super-close to me.

Was the board just off, or was it just me? The Sports on Film seemed very obscure, given the three TSes, and Nail Polish and Civil War were just stupid categories.

====

DJ! was much kinder to me with 11/30 and an $8,800 gain. Surprisingly for me, it was Insects, and not the books or NYT, that was an 0/5.

Bumblebee was a major headslap. After killer bee and honey bee were negged, I was thinking, "what other kinds of bees are there?!?" (A deadly bee weapon. Bees. My God.)

Coins was super-easy except for $800. Kindly uncles? Silver dollars? Bwuh?!

Ran Make It a Double Letter. Which is odd since I usually hold my own in word categories, but was totally lost on 11 Letters in J!

====

No guess on FJ! Did anyone get that? It seemed insanely vague and opaque.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Lumosityfan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Can I ask, by the way, what clue the Daily DOuble was in the Jeopardy! ROund?
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!
Posts: 7205
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 pm

I know it was in 11 Letters for $600, but I can't remember the clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 pm
Location: Edison, NJ

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Lumosityfan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:35 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:I know it was in 11 Letters for $600, but I can't remember the clue.
Thanks!
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Fishercat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Sports seemed like an odd order more than anything else. Senna at 600 with Goon and Crossover below it was odd placement

User avatar
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19
Posts: 1902
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by heelsrule1988 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:39 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Between the Wilmington DE/NC trap
8-)

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Linear Gnome » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:45 pm

What an exciting game! Timothy shot himself in the foot with some incorrect guesses toward the beginning, but dominated until David's run toward the end got him past 2/3 of Timothy's score. Katie didn't seem like a bad player but David and Timothy were good and quick, especially in DJ. (One thing I noticed about Timothy is that he held the buzzer exactly the same way I did.)

I liked the fact that David made the largest bet he could to win on a triple stumper. Interestingly, if Timothy offers a tie by betting $7200, he is a co-champion!

I got FJ wrong (I think I said Oliver Wendell Holmes even though I knew it was wrong), but I was shouting at the screen on buffalo nickel, super and supper, and one or two others that escape me at the moment. And I switched from DE to NC "in time".

FWIW, I like/don't mind David.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7797
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:45 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Was the board just off, or was it just me? The Sports on Film seemed very obscure
Could be if you aren't a sports fan. I love both rugby and Formula 1 racing (and Senna is a great movie about the best F1 driver who ever lived), so those were easy and the other couple -- "Goon" and "Crossover" best-known in hockey and basketball.

For FJ, I knew Longfellow was born in Maine and timing seemed correct, so that was my guess.

And yet again, we get the "let's bet a nice round number and lose the game" bet.

elijahjt
Contributor
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:38 am

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by elijahjt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Lumosityfan wrote:Can I ask, by the way, what clue the Daily DOuble was in the Jeopardy! ROund?
Under 11-Letter Words:
"Adjective for actions that can be supported by reasoning, like certain homicides."
SpoilerShow
Justifiable

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Linear Gnome » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 pm

econgator wrote: And yet again, we get the "let's bet a nice round number and lose the game" bet.
Well, the more usual bet of $7201 would still lose by a dollar.

Edited to add my fervent agreement to billy pilgrim's next post.
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1087
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billy pilgrim » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:04 pm

That letters from the Civil War mess has got to be the worst category they have ever had.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

User avatar
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by silverscreentest » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:13 pm

billy pilgrim wrote:That letters from the Civil War mess has got to be the worst category they have ever had.
No, that's still 2 COMPLETELY UNRELATED ITEMS.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

User avatar
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Magna » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 pm

elijahjt wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:Can I ask, by the way, what clue the Daily DOuble was in the Jeopardy! ROund?
Under 11-Letter Words:
"Adjective for actions that can be supported by reasoning, like certain homicides."
SpoilerShow
Justifiable
Bad clue, imo.
SpoilerShow
A killer's reasoning could be: "Everybody hated Aunt Hetty, and she was pretty sick and not enjoying life. And I really, really need the money she was leaving me in her will. So I bumped her off." But that reasoning doesn't make the killing justified. Only a few reasons are considered good and adequate to justify killing someone.
Last edited by Magna on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1087
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billy pilgrim » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:18 pm

silverscreentest wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:That letters from the Civil War mess has got to be the worst category they have ever had.
No, that's still 2 COMPLETELY UNRELATED ITEMS.
At least the unrelated items were actually unrelated. Only one of the civil war clues had anything to do with the civil war.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

Atalsyter
Contributor
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Atalsyter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Agree with the Civil War category. Managed to get my first Final of the week by thinking literature and 1800s American authors/poets

Post Reply