Tuesday, July 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

drshoema
Contributor

Re: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by drshoema »

dhkendall wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
BADuBois wrote:Count me in as a member of the Sallie fan club. She was delightful and adorable, the way she shrugged when she didn't know the answer, and how she practically choked the signaling device to death when she rang in. I bet she reminded Maggie of her own bad self at that age!

For some reason, the FJ was an Instaget for me. And loved how the two young ladies leapt off their risers when the game was over. :D
I liked Sallie too, though that kind of thing isn't as cute in an adult contestant. :) She was pretty tickled when she realized she was going home with $2000.
Even better was her reaction on the clue reversal in her favor (which I knew was coming)! But yeah the only time I recall adults doing that are celebrity games and its not nearly as endearing.
Go to the Jeopardy site and play her video. We NEED to know how to play the pie game!

David (and Jonathan) Shoemaker
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

I promised myself that I wouldn't watch the kid's tournament, but I saw today's game and just had to chime in that Sally is like the cutest contestant ever. I thought she was terrific.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Ross Lynch may be the most obscure top row clue this show has had in ages. Went 3/5 in music.

Sallie was awesome, great contestant choices.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was impressed by the kid who got triumvirate. I learned the word in high school in Latin class.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Bamaman wrote:I was impressed by the kid who got triumvirate. I learned the word in high school in Latin class.

And I associated (still do, btw) Triumvirat with a German prog-rock trio from the mid-1970s.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

It's about time those lazy archivists got a game archived in a timely manner. Except all the links to the pictures etc. are dead. Can't you guys get anything right?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ross Lynch and Big Time Rush? NHOI. Hunter Hayes at least had some recognition. If I would have used pause and 20 seconds I would have figured out Harry, though probably not Styles. Alicia Keys kept me from the skunk in Music.

The players were 17R, 15R, and 18R so nice job by the CCs to have a fair match with all players doing well.

Many times I have mentioned how poor I am at word origins and such type clues:

WORLD FACTS $600: It's a one-word term for a tropical rainforest, especially one in Africa, loud with monkeys & parrots

I could not figure out jungle. :oops:

Even though this FJ clue stumped all the players I think it's fine for Kids Week and it would not go 0/15. It's too bad the $2800 for Sallie and $1600 for Aarin have to drop to the consolation payouts. Let them keep what they make if it's under $3000? $5000. At least Sallie seemed completely happy with her amount and great job by her being a likeable contestant having fun on the show.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: WORLD FACTS $600: It's a one-word term for a tropical rainforest, especially one in Africa, loud with monkeys & parrots

I could not figure out jungle. :oops:

Even though this FJ clue stumped all the players I think it's fine for Kids Week and it would not go 0/15. It's too bad the $2800 for Sallie and $1600 for Aarin have to drop to the consolation payouts. Let them keep what they make if it's under $3000? $5000. At least Sallie seemed completely happy with her amount and great job by her being a likeable contestant having fun on the show.
Jungle got me too...I was seriously overthinking it.

Came up with LEGO rather quickly, and thankfully couldn't come up with anything better. ('Element' seemed like a peculiar word choice...was trying to come up with chemistry sets first, altho in retrospect they'd be *less* common now than before...nothing interesting (read: dangerous) in them anymore :lol: )

Maybe 'pieces' instead of 'elements' for kids week? But as written would have been fine for regular.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:Even better was her reaction on the clue reversal in her favor (which I knew was coming)! But yeah the only time I recall adults doing that are celebrity games and its not nearly as endearing.
Sarah Linn from my second game had a couple little reactions, one on a ruling reversal and the other on being right in FJ (her response was the first revealed), and I've found them endearing on repeat viewings of my episodes. It wasn't Sallie's happy flusterment, more like a smiley tic (anything bigger than that may not have been becoming of an adult), and I like that such a reaction occurred even after some jerk had run away with the game.

My dad got Lego aloud while I was still thinking about Silly Putty for some reason. I think I might have gotten this with the full 30 seconds (and better VCR timing; I'm used to the Aleve bumper before FJ), but this is a poll option I'm leaving unchecked.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:I like Sallie. she reminds me of a girl I knew when I was a teenager named Christy Ragsdale.
Count me as another member of Sallie's fan club. Her enthusiasm was great, I'm sure Maggie adored her! This combining her being the same age as my daughter (she'll be 11 in a few weeks) made her be my cheering choice. That's probably why she lost. :)
Sallie was a hoot and half. Like you, I predicted she'd get her money back on that "joint ownership" response. That was an impressive retro-get.

Sadly for Sallie fans, a better FJ wager would have let us see her again. I blame her parents for not teaching her how to wager from 2nd. ;) In fact, returning to my pet peeve, Sallie's prospects could have been even better had Aarin not been allowed to keep the $600 for "partnership" after "joint ownership" was wrongly negged. Here were the scores going into FJ:

Code: Select all

GOOD BET(S)   SCORE ON MISS  SCORE ON GET
John:   $16600   $7001 (MSB)       $9599          $23601
Sallie: $11800   $2200/$3401    $9600/$8399   $14000/$15201
Aarin:   $7600   $4201/$7600    $3399/$0      $11801/$15200
Notice how Sallie has to choose between winning on a miss and shutting out Aarin. She can't have it both ways. Either she makes the first bet and stays above John's $9599 even if she gets FJ wrong. Or she makes the second bet to shut Aarin out and has to get FJ right.

Imagine how the picture would change if Aarin had, oh, $600 less. Suddenly, Aarin can only double to $14000. Sallie can make the $2200 wager and only risk dropping down to a tiebreaker with Aarin in the unlikely event that Sallie misses FJ, Aarin gets it right, and Aarin bets it all. That's a much better position to be in.

This is all academic, of course, for all kinds of reasons. Those include, but are not limited to:

1. We can't really arrive at Aarin's "correct" score by taking $600 away from her pre-FJ total. Long after gaining the $600, Aarin landed on the last DD, bet $1000, and got it right. It is impossible to predict how her bet might have differed that late in the game if she'd had $6600 instead of $7200. Hence, there's no way to tell what her pre-FJ score "should" be.

2. For FJ, Aarin actually wagered $6000, so Sallie could have won on a TS using either suggested strategy.

3. Sallie did not recognize her situation and over-wagered. There's no reason to suppose a $600 change in Aarin's score would have changed Sallie's wager dramatically.

4. John did not know how to make the minimum shutout bet and went with $5000. He underwagered. (Or he's very very good at psyching out his opponents' betting strategies.) He'd have won on this triple stumper even if Sallie had made the $2200 bet. Given John's actual bet, Sallie needed to wager less than $200 to win on a TS. Or she needed to wager at least $9801--$801 more than her actual bet--to beat John on a double or triple get.

So in the end, it didn't matter. "No harm, no foul" as Alex erroneously says when all three contestants buzz in and give a wrong response. Say, that's another pet peeve....
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I was impressed by the kid who got triumvirate. I learned the word in high school in Latin class.
That was darned impressive. Despite my fondness for Sallie, I think John probably deserved to win.
anthontherun
Contributor

Post by anthontherun »

opusthepenguin wrote:Sadly for Sallie fans, a better FJ wager would have let us see her again.
Kids Week isn't a tournament, right? Aren't all the games one-and-done?

Had to log on to declare my membership in the Sallie fan club as well. Did anyone catch what John said after she got the Daily Double? He said something I couldn't make out, then she picked the next clue, and he said something like, "Or you can do that." I played it back but couldn't catch his first comment.

Also, was it just me or was the timing/editing of the Hunter Hayes clip very awkwardly done? The clue itself didn't even require a clip, but it seemed liked it was frozen for half-a-second at first, then the clip ran for what seemed like much longer than necessary, then just...randomly stopped.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

anthontherun wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Sadly for Sallie fans, a better FJ wager would have let us see her again.
Correct
kettledrum
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kettledrum »

Sallie is awesome. Of course having an 8 year old daughter helps me relate to that, and it made the Justice clue easy for me, but the music category was still almost impossible as she is not into all of that just yet.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

36 Billion Barbies would make a great band name. :)

I can never seem to predict the success rate on Kids' Week FJs. I would have thought this one would be a three for three get. As someone else pointed out, using "elements" probably threw them. The writers probably thought using "pieces" would make it too easy. Always a fine line.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

anthontherun wrote:
Yeah. For some reason I had it in my head that it was three days of regular play and a two-day playoff of the three winners.
drshoema
Contributor

Post by drshoema »

This Is Kirk! wrote:36 Billion Barbies would make a great band name. :)

I can never seem to predict the success rate on Kids' Week FJs. I would have thought this one would be a three for three get. As someone else pointed out, using "elements" probably threw them. The writers probably thought using "pieces" would make it too easy. Always a fine line.
In hearing the kids talk at the end of the day party, at least one if not two knew they were talking about Legos, but didn't think Legos was the name of the company but a product put out by a big name company.

David (and Jonathan) Shoemaker
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

drshoema wrote:at least one if not two knew they were talking about Legos, but didn't think Legos was the name of the company
Well,technically, it's not. Which brings up the question, would "Legos" have been negged? (Should it be negged in the poll?)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
drshoema wrote:at least one if not two knew they were talking about Legos, but didn't think Legos was the name of the company
Well,technically, it's not. Which brings up the question, would "Legos" have been negged? (Should it be negged in the poll?)
No. As the plural of Lego, it'd be just fine. Lego's pieces are commonly pluralized. No need to distinguish between the pieces and the company. (ETA: Negging it would be seen as mean. Moreso than Bejamin or pennisula.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All three players have photos on the site with the foul name: http://lookatthisjeopardycontestant.tumblr.com/