Wednesday, July 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:23 pm

What I'm confused by is that nobody seems to be complaining about how the young girl was mistreated. She, too, spelled 'emancipation proclomation' incorrectly, so what's the difference? Do they just think she should be treated that way because she's Canadian? As a Canadian, I take great offence to that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 pm

Bamaman wrote:
alietr wrote:I'm really tempted to start a thread over there titled "Thank Goodness the Judges Got It Right". Then duck and cover.
Do it and I'll pay for you to be boardie of the month.
Hey, I'll donate the Boardie of the Month fee to anybody who does it if Andy chooses not to.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:32 pm

Basic comments about tonights game:

Wow.

Anyone who wants to diss the Kids Weeks games needs to see the last two games. Yes, the questions aren't up to "normal" (re: adult) standards, but they've made for great television.

Now to the writers -- WTF is with the FJs this week? One get out of nine players so far?

When I saw tonight's FJ, my first thought was "can they even spell the response?" Heck, I'm not sure I could have on stage with the cameras running (and I've been there!) Turns out I was right in one case. But after Monday's poorly-worded clue, and yesterday's misfire, I don't know if we can complain about this week being "easy" games given the FJs.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 pm

alietr wrote:I'm really tempted to start a thread over there titled "Thank Goodness the Judges Got It Right". Then duck and cover.
Do it, do it now.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:45 pm

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din..."
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 pm

CHCH (Jeopardy!'s Canadian station) did a feature on tonight's newscast.

ETA: And, in true CHCH fashion, followed it up 4 minutes later with this spot.

Brian

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 pm

bpmod wrote:What I'm confused by is that nobody seems to be complaining about how the young girl was mistreated. She, too, spelled 'emancipation proclomation' incorrectly, so what's the difference? Do they just think she should be treated that way because she's Canadian? As a Canadian, I take great offence to that.

Brian
Actually, I don't think the Canadian girl got the answer right either, for she wrote down "What is the second amendment?", which is clearly not the Emancipation Proclamation.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 pm

Lumosityfan wrote:
bpmod wrote:What I'm confused by is that nobody seems to be complaining about how the young girl was mistreated. She, too, spelled 'emancipation proclomation' incorrectly, so what's the difference? Do they just think she should be treated that way because she's Canadian? As a Canadian, I take great offence to that.

Brian
Actually, I don't think the Canadian girl got the answer right either, for she wrote down "What is the second amendment?", which is clearly not the Emancipation Proclamation.
She just spelled it wrong. That's all.

Brian

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 pm

billy pilgrim wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
Paucle wrote: Too bad for Thomas- he was even re-checking his work during the last FJ notes, it looked like. Situational blindness, I guess.
Yeah, I had trouble finding the error at first. It was clear from Alex's tone that a harsh ruling was coming, but that was a lot of letters to check in order to find where the mistake was. I could certainly understand his mistake, and the fact that he didn't see it when double-checking for errors. How often does anyone ever write the word "Emancipation"? Precipitation seems like a much more common word to come across, so maybe that's where that extra "t" came from.
You know, I wasn't sure he didn't think that's the way you spell it.
Agreed. I'm pretty sure I heard the kid say "-tation", which could mean that in his head, he honestly thought the word ended with "-tation". This is very understandable when you're young -- when I was a kid, there were all kinds of words about which I had mistaken ideas about the spelling. One that comes to mind is I thought "catastrophe" was "catapostrophe".

lovemydolphins
Contributor

Post by lovemydolphins » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:32 pm

I knew Skyler would make a big FJ! wager; someone who memorized the Gettysburg Address is definitely a Civil War buff. I saw the $30000 bet and went, "Yep, that's a near record."
Go ahead, do it, please.
I know it was the simplest of errors, but the judges do have to follow the rules and judge fairly. It wouldn't have made a difference, but still, the poor kid must be devastated. His face at the end. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I hate to imagine how he feels. If I put myself in his shoes, I'd feel terrible.
But rules are rules.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 pm

Well, someone's done it.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 pm

econgator wrote:Well, someone's done it.
This is gonna be fun.

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 pm

bpmod wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:

Brian
She just spelled it wrong. That's all.

Brian
No, I'm pretty certain the Canadian girl answered "The second amendment?" What I mean is that she didn't spell it wrong, but rather didn't even answer the question right regardless of spelling.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:39 pm

Lumosityfan wrote:No, I'm pretty certain the Canadian girl answered "The second amendment?" What I mean is that she didn't spell it wrong, but rather didn't even answer the question right regardless of spelling.
I guess Brian needed a ;) at the end of his post.

He's just saying that she misspelled "the Emancipation Proclamation" as "the Second Amendment".

lovemydolphins
Contributor

Post by lovemydolphins » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 pm

lisa0012 wrote:
This is gonna be fun.
Oh, yes, fun indeed.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:45 pm

Lumosityfan wrote:No, I'm pretty certain the Canadian girl answered "The second amendment?" What I mean is that she didn't spell it wrong, but rather didn't even answer the question right regardless of spelling.
The point I am making is, at what point does incorrect spelling change the answer? There are rules that Jeopardy! follows, and most of the time they are perfectly consistent. They are much more lenient on vowel sounds. And very clear that anything that adds or subtracts a syllable is ruled against. I could say (verbally) that I thought 'emancipation proclamation' was spelled 's-e-c-o-n-d a-m-e-n-d-m-e-n-t' if they didn't draw the line somewhere. The problem is people want the line to be moveable. That does not make for good rules.

This is no different from the two I mentioned the other day, 'pennisula' & 'Bejamin'. Was there this much backlash over those?

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:47 pm

OK, to whom do we award Boardie of the Month?

Brian

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:00 pm

bpmod wrote:
OK, to whom do we award Boardie of the Month?
Brian
I just thought it was you!
Last edited by Paucle on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:02 pm

Paucle wrote:
bpmod wrote:
OK, to whom do we award Boardie of the Month?Brian
I just thought it was you!
No. I am not that bold. I am actively trying to get on Jeopardy! If I break their "no Canadians allowed" rule, they might never let me on.

But I'm over there rooting him on!

Brian

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:03 pm

I knew something big happened tonight as I saw the post count here going up and up.

I've been watching J! long enough that I knew Skyler would never find the last DD. Each pick near the end I kept wanting to hear the sound and see what he would bet. Naturally one of his opponents uncovered it. I've seen it happen too many times.

I would guess the wager would have been $20,000, so tonight was the chance to see a player get $100,000 in one night. It was there for the taking and the randomness of the DD placement prevented the moment. If Skyler or parents are here then please let us know if he knew St. Augustine.

The $10,000 for the math DD had me thinking Joon would be proud. What impressed me just as much as the gutsy wagering was the get on allegro. Well done all around.

My J! round was 27, so at least I don't have to blame one clue for the perfecto lost. Dr. Doofenshmirtz, Krusty Krab and salmon got me. It's not that I thought lox was a real fish, but I had never given one curious thought about what it really was.

I had to dash over to the Sony board to read through all the threads. That is a small sampling of the reaction across the country. There have to be a lot of angry viewers tonight. It's a shame that moment is taking away from what Skyler accomplished. On this board we know all of the previous misspelling examples which have set the precedent. It's awful for Thomas. Financially it made no difference at least.

The rules have to be followed and the judges had no choice tonight. Rules can be adapted. In the future give the kid the chance to speak his response if misspelled and add some leeway. Or something else. Tonight was unfortunate, but there must be a better way to not have such a negative cloud over what should be an entertaining half hour.

As upset as Thomas looked trying to hold it together, it was pops that looked very steamed. It's interesting to take another look at the group shot on the front of the J! site knowing what happened tonight. There's Skyler with a $66,600 winning smile and Thomas looking slight less happier.

Who wants to PM all the poll voters who said they were taking this week off? They are missing good stuff.