One year later

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: One year later

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dr. J wrote:
Case wrote:My husband didn't even get to make the trip out to California; he had to stay home with our three-year-old son and all our dogs, cat, birds, etc. My parents, sister, aunt and uncle in the audience went to that same convenience store. They downplayed it, but were kind of relieved they didn't have to repeat that "lunch" on Wednesday. Apparently the pickings were pretty slim, and there was a lot of construction or something. I don't remember any of that on the minibus ride to or from the show. Wait. Did the bus take us back to the hotel at the end of the day? :?:
Can you believe that J! doesn't have some sort of better options for relatives looking for lunch? My husband had peanut butter crackers from the Shell station across the street, and says that his mouth was so dry from nerves that he couldn't even choke them down!

As for the bus, this also cracked me up -- Corinna says to me after taping, "do you have a ride?" Now why would I have a ride when y'all shuttled me to the studio this morning?!?
"No, I don't." "Well, we can call you a cab." "Ok, thanks." Said cab arrives, and I realize that J! is not paying for it, I am. Luckily, my husband had enough cash to cover the cab ride back to the hotel! C'mon, Harry Friedman, spring for some family sandwiches and a shuttle BACK to the hotel!!
Yep, that was the sucky part - the friends/spouses of contestants. Mrs. Spiff and another contestant's wife hoofed it out the gate (and for those not familiar with the setup, J! is taped about as far from the gate as you can get), got a Subway sandwich about a block or so away, woofed it down, and got back in time barely in time for the second set. The ride also wasn't an issue because we had a rental car, and Mrs. Spiff came down closer to taping time and parked it in the Sony parking deck.

But I guess that's Hollywood - they've used you for what they want, after that you're on your own!

rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Great stories, thanks all!!!

Though I can't imagine not watching the show even should I make it on and bomb!

:lol:

Also, I am now very happy that I'm terminally single and won't have to subject anyone to peanut butter and crackers or keeping a secret for months on end!

:mrgreen:

sarahbree
Contributor

Post by sarahbree »

Thanks, glad to hear that I am not alone, I feel almost exactly the same way. I own a business and (foolishly?) I put the pic of me and AT next to the cash register and you would not believe some of the things people have said, so I get to re-live it all the time. My favorite- " oh, YOU were on Jeopardy!? Do you think they intentionally keep the really smart people from getting on? Like, I think Ken Jennings dumbed down to get on that show and then he tricked them so he could get all that money" My stunned reply: "ummm, have you ever tried out for it?" Customer: " yeah, I took the online test and I know I aced it twice, but I never heard back, so...."
Yeah, soooo....
I still feel woozy when I hear the intro music and I don't nearly watch it as much as I used to. *sigh*

My second favorite comment (the most common) "Is that YOU?" wow, they made you look so good.." gee thanks, here's your latte.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

sarahbree wrote:Do you think they intentionally keep the really smart people from getting on?
I know the thought has crossed my mind a few times (and probably Austin Powers has had the same thought ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

sarahbree wrote:I still feel woozy when I hear the intro music
Me too, me too!
My second favorite comment (the most common) "Is that YOU?" wow, they made you look so good.." .
I usually play up the whole make-up artist thing, but still, I don't think people need to be quite so shocked at how talented Sandy was. :roll:

Woof

Post by Woof »

That is really sad, Sarah (and Shari). You'd hope that people who have these less charitable thoughts would at least have the decency to keep them to themselves. I wonder if male J! contestants have similar experiences, or if this sort of petty nastiness is more directed toward the female contestants.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, nobody told me I looked good on television. Sigh.

Woof

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:Well, nobody told me I looked good on television. Sigh.
Andy, you looked great on TV. Feel better now? :mrgreen:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Much. Sure took long enough ...

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Woof wrote:That is really sad, Sarah (and Shari). You'd hope that people who have these less charitable thoughts would at least have the decency to keep them to themselves. I wonder if male J! contestants have similar experiences, or if this sort of petty nastiness is more directed toward the female contestants.
Nothing nasty, but sure. My wife, who wasn't at the taping, immediately commented on how much makeup I had on. Other people made comments. Of course, they did make me look a lot better. I had crazy bags under my eyes from weeks of nervous, if any, sleep and a stress-induced cold.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Hi Bunkie, I'm the one person on here who might be more interested in your flying experiences. I worked JFK Approach up until a few months ago. Financially rewarding but emotionally backbreaking. Interesting all the same. Let me know if you need any tips in dealing with ATC!

Bunkie
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Bunkie »

Hi Johnblue,

Thanks! Hey were you at the audition in NYC in June of last year? There was a fellow who was an ATC who lived in Buffalo and commuted down to JFK (if I remember correctly). Might you be the same person?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Learning to fly, or, rather, getting my pilot's license, is on my bucket list. My friends build their planes and have built 9 or 10 so far, and I have been at the controls of a couple of them. It really is one of the greatest feelings.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bunkie
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Bunkie »

Regarding the "really smart people" question, I think *everyone* who takes the test a few times thinks that. I know I did. In fact it was my third online test that got me an audition and I *knew* that I had done much better on the first two tests. What that tells me is that there are other factors that are at work. In my case I have a curious story to tell:

One night in April of last year, my wife and I were sitting on the couch watching J! and there was a promo for the online test. I said to my wife "I'm done. I've taken the test three times and have had no response. I'm not going to beat my heart against wall any longer." As is my typical TV-watching custom, I had my laptop open and I took a moment to check my email and there was an email from Jeopardy about contestants. At first I thought it was for an open audition and I said, "I really don't want to do an open cattle-call". My attitude quickly changed when I read the body of the email and realized that it was a proper audition! I went to the audition in June, and left with the feeling that the odds weren't good. With thousands of people in the contestant pool and a lot of my fellow attendees being second or third-time auditioners, I felt that I wouldn't make it. Six days later I got the call. I can't say what made me stand out as there were a lot of really good, interesting people at the audition. But I did have some good stories to tell and I did play the game well. It probably also helped that I'm something of a ham. I have professional experience as an IT trainer and I front a classic rock band for fun, so I have no fear of performing and, in the end, that's what J! is, it's entertainment.

Bunkie
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Bunkie »

One more thing. I did the audition in my lucky seersucker suit (so named because it got me on the show). On the day of taping, I wore it as well. Unfortunately, it strobed terribly, so I was asked to change into my other suit. Hmmm...

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bunkie wrote:It probably also helped that I'm something of a ham. I have professional experience as an IT trainer and I front a classic rock band for fun, so I have no fear of performing and, in the end, that's what J! is, it's entertainment.
These are, for me, very encouraging words. You and I have some things in common.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Bunkie wrote:Regarding the "really smart people" question, I think *everyone* who takes the test a few times thinks that. I know I did. In fact it was my third online test that got me an audition and I *knew* that I had done much better on the first two tests. What that tells me is that there are other factors that are at work.
My story is very similar, except I got "The Call" after three months, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't be getting it and had slowed down on using Coryats to practice discipline. (Aside: I can't recommend this enough for prospective contestants. The opportunity cost of getting something wrong is, in my eyes, prohibitive. If you have the buzzer speed to give up on clues you know you don't know and still be able to attack ones you do, I'd consider playing tight.)

The closest I might have come to "the other factors at work" may be legit or a red herring. I'll never know. As we were getting ready to walk out on stage for an episode, the other contestants and I all figured out that we had been the first name called at our respective auditions. I asked Robert, "Is that a thing? Or you probably can't tell us." He just smiled. So, who knows.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

immaf

Post by immaf »

At auditions, they usually say that the order in which you are called up to play the mock game is meaningless. But this time around (my 5th swim in the pool) my name *was* called first, so...
Teems with quiet fun.

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

At my most recent addition, I don't remember if I was literally the last name, but I was in the last group of 3. Hmm...

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I was also in the last group of 3 at my audition.

So, my optimistic hope is that being either in the first group or the last group might mean something? I think I did very well on the in-person written test, but it's quite possible that above a certain point, that doesn't mean anything. (For instance, maybe it doesn't mean anything if you get 46 out of 50 as opposed to 39 out of 50.)