Season 28 premiere??

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Season 28 premiere??

Post by Bamaman »

2012 Olympics: July 27-August 12
Republican Convention: August 27-30
Democratic Convention: Septmber 3-7

2014 Olympics: February 7-23

2016 Olympics: August 5-21

2018 Olympics: February 9-23

Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

Thanks for this info! I didn't realize you knew it!

Bamaman wrote:2012 Olympics: July 27-August 12

So the first week of the Olympics (or last 6 episodes of Season 28) will affect NBC people in Mountain and Pacific times, since I believe Olympics coverage starts at 8:00 ET/5:00 PT.
Bamaman wrote: Republican Convention: August 27-30
Democratic Convention: Septmber 3-7
I'm surprised the Democratic will start on Labor Day and go til after. But then again, I now remember that's how it was in 2008. And I think you mean September 3 - 6. They never have the Convention on Friday. Anyway, fortunately, whether Season 29 starts September 10 or 17, that won't affect anyone.
Bamaman wrote: 2014 Olympics: February 7-23

2016 Olympics: August 5-21

2018 Olympics: February 9-23
2014 and 2018 are no surprise (although for 2018, you mean February 9 - 25). since winter Olympics dates have always been the same, starting the Friday after the first Sunday in February (Super Bowl Sunday) and ending the last Sunday in February, usually Oscar night but that'd be postponed. tut sadly, NBC stations in Mountain and Pacific Times will be affected by February tournaments in Seasons 30 and 34, since I'm sure they'll be Feb. 3 - 14 or 10 - 21, 2014 and Feb. 5 - 16, 2018, and 2016 is one week earlier than 2014 or 2018. And, if they do stick to that two weeks after Labor Day season premiere, NBC stations in Central and Pacific times will be affected by the Season 32 finale. Incidentally, I'm not willing to get too off topic, but do you know where the 2018 Olympics will be? I know 2012 is London, 2014 Moscow, and 2016 Rio De Janeiro. And do you know the dates of the 2016 Conventions? August 29 - September 1 and September 5 - 8? And do you know the locales of the 2012 or 2016 Conventions?

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Nicky wrote:Alex said they're rerunning the College Championship, Teen Tournament, Teen Tournament,
Teachers Tournament.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Nicky wrote:Here's proof (besides the Wheel of Fortune announcement) that it will be September 19, not September 12:

If you recall from the season finale, Alex said they're rerunning the College Championship, Teen Tournament, Teen Tournament, and to quote Alex, the "infamous or famous" Watson IBM Challenge, obviously taking 33 episodes, more than 30. Though it makes me wonder what the other two reruns will be, most likely September 12 and 13 with Watson the 14th - 16th. My guess is two Kids Week episodes. So I guess we'll for the first time have a new episode in August, and if this were next year we wouldn't have had a rerun yet. At least I think we won't get an Olympics preemption, since based on the past two Olympics, it'll be August 10 - 26. Let's hope we also don't get a Convention preemption. Aug. 6 - 9 and 27 - 30 would be best for the Conventions if I'm right about the Olympics dates. However, I think both the Olympics and the Conventions would mostly be a problem for Mountain and Pacific times, and not Eastern or Central.
a) The 2012 Olympics will be July 27-August 12 - since J! is a syndicated show this won't pre-empt all airings (just those that get J! on NBC and CBC (although I think I heard somewhere that CTV takes over J! from CBC starting Season 28))

b) seaborgium basically said your speculation of the "rest of the week filler" being Kids Week shows is just that, speculation.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

chuck5982 wrote:
Nicky wrote:Alex said they're rerunning the College Championship, Teen Tournament, Teen Tournament,
Teachers Tournament.
You're right, Chuck, that was a typo.

Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

dhkendall wrote:
b) seaborgium basically said your speculation of the "rest of the week filler" being Kids Week shows is just that, speculation.

But if not Kids Week, I don't know what else they could rerun, except for maybe two of the four Celebrity Invitational quarterfinal games that didn't rerun the week of August 30 - September 3, 2010. And except if it had Ken Jennings, they never reran a regular game on a weekday. They never even did if it had David Madden or Dan Pawson! Stefan, maybe, just maybe, you it is possible that it could be the TOC finals May 20 - 21, 2010, but they never reran just the finals of any tournament before (they did in the past do only semifinals and finals, because by any chance do you remember they did this probably in the Seasons 13 - 15 era????? I believe 1997 - 1999). Although, especially since that episode's anniversary is during that week, I wonder if they could rerun Roger Craig's 1-day record game!!!!! However ironically, that's the one day that we know will be Watson since it's the Wednesday of that week, and no matter when they rerun Watson, one of the three episodes will be on that day, but that's not the case for any of the other four days. But it's still possible that they could rerun that episode one or two days late or early! I could see Roger's first two episodes rerunning, since of course any season premiere is a milestone episode.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

During one of the break weeks between seasons 25 and 26, they reran Episode 1 from 1984 and Eddie Timanus' fifth win. Also that week, we got KJ74 and 75, along with the final UTOC game.

We can speculate all we want about what will run the last two days of the break, but nobody outside TPTB know for certain. Personally, I doubt we'll see anything outside of this season, but that is just a guess and I have no way of knowing and it isn't something I'll lose sleep over.

I wish during the breaks they'd show original runs of great players from the past or even Fleming era games, but they didn't ask me.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I wish during the breaks they'd show original runs of great players from the past or even Fleming era games, but they didn't ask me.
That's a great idea! Does Sony hold the copyright on the Fleming era games, though?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Since we're indulging ourselves in sheer speculation, I wonder if they might edit the Watson match down to two days instead of three. It wouldn't be hard to do if they cut out all the IBM/Watson promotional featurettes.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote:Does Sony hold the copyright on the Fleming era games, though?
I believe they do -- as far as I know, they own everything from the Merv Griffin Productions library.

However, there are only a handful of 1965-75 Fleming episodes that exist in broadcast-quality condition, most notably Episode #2000 and the final daytime episode, both of which, if they were shown in the regular J! time slot, would be more confusing to the average viewer than even a regular Fleming episode.

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Nicky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

But if not Kids Week, I don't know what else they could rerun . . . .
If they're going to rerun Watson, they should fill up the rest of the week with some of the sparring matches. I'd love to see Madden's and DiNucci's winning games.

Rex

jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Nicky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

But if not Kids Week, I don't know what else they could rerun, except for maybe two of the four Celebrity Invitational quarterfinal games that didn't rerun the week of August 30 - September 3, 2010. And except if it had Ken Jennings, they never reran a regular game on a weekday. They never even did if it had David Madden or Dan Pawson! Stefan, maybe, just maybe, you it is possible that it could be the TOC finals May 20 - 21, 2010, but they never reran just the finals of any tournament before (they did in the past do only semifinals and finals, because by any chance do you remember they did this probably in the Seasons 13 - 15 era????? I believe 1997 - 1999). Although, especially since that episode's anniversary is during that week, I wonder if they could rerun Roger Craig's 1-day record game!!!!! However ironically, that's the one day that we know will be Watson since it's the Wednesday of that week, and no matter when they rerun Watson, one of the three episodes will be on that day, but that's not the case for any of the other four days. But it's still possible that they could rerun that episode one or two days late or early! I could see Roger's first two episodes rerunning, since of course any season premiere is a milestone episode.
There's no way they could rerun some kids week games but not all of them. I think they'll rerun some of the most notable regular games from this past season (Roger Craig's second game, and maybe one of Mark Runsvold's games).

Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

jepkid97 wrote: There's no way they could rerun some kids week games but not all of them.
Why not? They reran only five of the nine Celebrity Invitational quarterfinals last season.

BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Nicky wrote:
jepkid97 wrote: There's no way they could rerun some kids week games but not all of them.
Why not? They reran only five of the nine Celebrity Invitational quarterfinals last season.
Good point. After all, the celebs are like kids in many ways.

(Perhaps they should invite Wolf Blitzer back for the next Kids' Week!)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Nicky wrote:
At least they led up to something (semis, finals). I feel like they'd go for something big to fill those last two spaces, and the last ToC's finals would work. (Or maybe the $77,000 and $55,000 wins from this past season.) I'll grant that the kid episodes have the advantage of stand-alone-ability, but besides my "something big" argument, I don't think they'd rerun something that aired so close to the end of the season.

Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

Stefan, just so you know, just because I'm speculating Kids' Week for those two reruns that week, it's not what I'd most want. I'm just thinking what makes sense knowing this show and how they do reruns. Stefan, what I would most want would be the May 20 and 21, 2010 TOC finals, and that isn't what would make the least sense.

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Nicky wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

But if not Kids Week, I don't know what else they could rerun . . . .
If they're going to rerun Watson, they should fill up the rest of the week with some of the sparring matches. I'd love to see Madden's and DiNucci's winning games.

Rex
How do you know Madden and DiNucci won? Did you get to play Watson, too?

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

chuck5982 wrote:How do you know Madden and DiNucci won? Did you get to play Watson, too?
From the old Boards (thanks to Google's cache):

Watson -- Fall Sparring Matches -- The Untold Stories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe this is old news at this point, but since these are the Jeopardy! boards, I suspect there may still be one or two people curious about what happened in the Fall Sparring Matches leading up to the match between Watson, Ken Jennings, and Brad Rutter. The good people at IBM have given their permission for participants to discuss their experiences – “No restrictions”, according to their Jeopardy! Challenge Program Manager, David Shepler – so I am creating this thread to encourage some discussion.

The Fall Sparring Matches were held over ten weeks in the fall of 2010 to help IBM get Watson in shape to play a televised match. Watson had already competed against a number of people, including some J! champions local to NYC, but by the summer of 2010 IBM had decided it was time to test Watson methodically against a larger group of successful champions. Invitations were sent out to J! champions who had reached the semifinals of a ToC or similar tournament at some point in the previous 10 years. Since these invitations were sent to the last known addresses that TPTB had on file, though, not everyone received his invitation. On top of that, there were lots more folks invited, and lots more who responded “Yes”, than there were slots for participants, and slots were awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Thus, while there were many notable players on the roster, there were also a lot of greats from the past 10 years who did not get the chance to play Watson.

Each week, 4 J! champions were brought to IBM’s Thomas J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, New York, to play 5 or 6 games against Watson. Obviously 6 games was ideal, allowing each champion to play one game against each other champion and Watson. However, the games were derived from actual J! games that had been taped but not yet aired, modified by swapping out clues and categories that Watson would have been unable to process (mainly audio and visual clues and categories with special instructions), and in some cases there were only 5 complete games available to play that week. Thus, while most of the 40 participants got to play 3 games against Watson, some only got to play 2.

The roster of participants:

Sept. 10 – Dave Belote, Justin Bernbach**, Max Levaren, Craig Westphal
Sept. 17 – Alan Bailey*, Terry Currin, Rick Knutsen, Jill Bunzendahl Chimka
Sept. 24 – Andy Srinivasan, Pat Healy, J.J. Todor*, Fred Ramen
Oct. 1 – Eddie Timanus*, Stefan Goodreau*, Aaron Schroeder, Mark Wales*
Oct. 8 – Jason Zollinger, Kevin Marshall*, Mark Brown, Dave Abbott*
Oct. 15 – Chris Miller, David Madden**, Larissa Kelly, Nick Yozamp
Oct. 22 – Dan Pawson, Paul Glaser, Cliff Galiher, Larry Cloud
Oct. 29 – Liz Murphy*, Ben Bishop*, Sahir Islam, David Bagley
Nov. 5 – Tom Walsh*, Susan Mitchell, Claudia Perry, Bill MacDonald*
Nov. 12 – Celeste DiNucci*, Doug Hicton*, Cora Peck, Andrew Maly

Each asterisk after a participant’s name indicates a game won. (I’ve listed them all by the names they originally played J! under, so y’all don’t have to contend with married names and such. Also, this is not an official list released by IBM or anything like that; it is a list that was cobbled together via the J! grapevine. If there are any errors, they are mine, and I welcome any corrections. Also, big thanks to the participants who gathered and passed information along to me, especially that most industrious of J! historians, seaborgium.)

Interesting trivia I've learned so far:

- Justin Bernbach and David Madden were the only two players who managed to beat Watson twice. David only played two games against Watson.
- Tom Walsh and Bill MacDonald managed the only tie win against Watson.
- Celeste DiNucci – in the very last game played in the Sparring Matches – was the only person to achieve a lock over Watson going into Final Jeopardy. (I suspect that made IBM very nervous!)

That’s about the extent of my big-picture knowledge.

Rex

jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Nicky wrote:
As a former kids week contestant myself, I would be furious if some kids week games from my week were rerun and mine wasn't, and I think TPTB understand that.

Nicky
Contributor

Post by Nicky »

Jack, as sorry as I would feel for you at that happened, and please don't take what I say personally, I don't think sadly they'd be thinking about how individual contestants would feel if some shows from their special weeks aired but not all and not theirs. I mean, 8 of the 27 celebrities from the Celebrity Invitational were only seen once (actually maybe only 7; I don't remember whether Andy Richter's quarterfinal reran or was one of the four not to), and I don't think they had any problems with it, or if they did, they coped and managed. And also, back in around 1997 - 1999 (I think), when they reran only the semifinals and finals of tournaments to try to get as many special weeks as possible in to the reruns, there were always 6 contestants from each tournament whose episodes were seen only once while the other 9 were seen three or five times.