2013 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: 2013 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Round 4 Instant Replay Thread

Post by econgator »

sillymonkey wrote:While stuck on Day 1's "giant toaster" question, I kept thinking of R2D2. Didn't somebody refer to one of the Star Wars droids as a giant toaster? So, today R2D2 appears to be right, but I wasn't going to get it. Or any other movie clue, for that matter.
You may be thinking of Riker referring to Data as a toaster in "The Measure of a Man".
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Looks like we're going to see lots of negs on the Liberty Valance question.
Good to see an occasional film question that will separate the "cinemaniacs" from the casual movie-goers.
Spoiler
Though, in practice, it all depends on how you interpret the hint. The title of the movie is ambiguous, and both Wayne and Stewart are the title character - one in truth, the other in people's minds. Just as Columbus is "the man who discovered America" and Al Gore is "the man who said he invented the Internet", so is Jimmy Stewart's character "the man who shot Liberty Valance" to all his constituents. We, the viewers, are in on the truth, but only two people inside the movie are.

I went with Wayne because (1) I trust DoT not to give deliberately misdirecting hints, and (2) while both men were very tall, Wayne did look more like "a football player". Neither reason was ironclad, but I was lucky enough that it worked.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

gnash, I was hoping to argue that POV for points, but JS doesn't fit the rest of the clue. :(
(well, I never checked, but odds would seem to be astronomically against it.)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Paucle wrote:gnash, I was hoping to argue that POV for points, but JS doesn't fit the rest of the clue. :(
(well, I never checked, but odds would seem to be astronomically against it.)
I did check, and only one matches. Sorry.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

On Day 3, I answered in the order the questions were asked, but that differs from the point values written next to them. Because of the way I answer (starting with quoting the post with clues*), the point values are with my answers as they were with the clues. Well, it turns out that of the two mis-something (either misordered or mislabeled) clues, I got one right and one wrong. If they were mislabeled, I get 1 point for the two; if they were misordered, I get 4. Does the "I want to give you points" rule apply in this situation?

* Because of this, I also forgot (this is the first time it happened) to change quote tags to spoiler tags, which was the reason I edited my post shortly after submitting it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Well, I really misunderstood what DoT was looking for in the 8-pointer in R4D3. I thought that he was asking for what American military award was given to the American Unknown, missing the inference that the British unknown was given the (American) Medal of Honor. What really confused me was why the answer would be Medal of Honor when that was given in the question, but I was so sure of my answer... :( Since my answer is almost certainly also a "correct" one (i.e., the American Unknown did also receive a Medal of Honor in that 1921 ceremony), I'm not quite sure what will be done with it...
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Woof wrote:Well, I really misunderstood what DoT was looking for in the 8-pointer in R4D3. I thought that he was asking for what American military award was given to the American Unknown, missing the inference that the British unknown was given the (American) Medal of Honor. What really confused me was why the answer would be Medal of Honor when that was given in the question, but I was so sure of my answer... :( Since my answer is almost certainly also a "correct" one (i.e., the American Unknown did also receive a Medal of Honor in that 1921 ceremony), I'm not quite sure what will be done with it...
I found nothing in Wikipedia to suggest your answer was correct.

But yes, very confusing. I clammed because I came up with two candidate answers, neither of which felt plausible. (MOH? It's not "Stupid Answers"! PMOF? That's for peacetime achievements!)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

gnash wrote:* Because of this, I also forgot (this is the first time it happened) to change quote tags to spoiler tags, which was the reason I edited my post shortly after submitting it.
I had to edit mine, too, because I put the point values in the order they were originally listed in, but then inadvertently flipped the answers around. I decided the best thing to do was just match how DoT has it listed at the top of the thread.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
gnash wrote:* Because of this, I also forgot (this is the first time it happened) to change quote tags to spoiler tags, which was the reason I edited my post shortly after submitting it.
I had to edit mine, too, because I put the point values in the order they were originally listed in, but then inadvertently flipped the answers around. I decided the best thing to do was just match how DoT has it listed at the top of the thread.
Same, confusing, but I'm sure the scorer will accept any answers clearly meant for the other if out of place (if not making his life harder).

BTW, I usually "quote" Dad's original post, and edit out the question with my answer (and change the quote tags to spoiler tags), which was why I kept the numbering, since I don't edit out the numbers.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

gnash wrote:
Woof wrote:Well, I really misunderstood what DoT was looking for in the 8-pointer in R4D3. I thought that he was asking for what American military award was given to the American Unknown, missing the inference that the British unknown was given the (American) Medal of Honor. What really confused me was why the answer would be Medal of Honor when that was given in the question, but I was so sure of my answer... :( Since my answer is almost certainly also a "correct" one (i.e., the American Unknown did also receive a Medal of Honor in that 1921 ceremony), I'm not quite sure what will be done with it...
I found nothing in Wikipedia to suggest your answer was correct.

But yes, very confusing. I clammed because I came up with two candidate answers, neither of which felt plausible. (MOH? It's not "Stupid Answers"! PMOF? That's for peacetime achievements!)
Well, it's not Wikipedia :D , but here's what's on Arlington National Cemetery's Website about the World War 1 Unknown:
At the conclusion of the period of silence the audience, accompanied by the band, sang "America." President Harding then delivered an address, paying tribute to the Unknown Soldier and pleading for an end to war. After a hymn sung by a quartet from the Metropolitan Opera Company, the President placed upon the casket of the Unknown Soldier the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service Cross. High-ranking representatives of other countries also presented decorations of high order, some of which never before had been given to a foreigner. Hymns and scriptural readings followed, and to conclude the service the audience sang "Nearer My God to Thee."

That quote is taken from an article in the Washington Post on November 12, 1921.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

It looks to me like the American unknown soldier was awarded at least three medals in 1921.
Spoiler
The U.S. Medal of Honor (also known as the Congressional Medal of Honor), and the Distinguished Service Cross (by President Harding); and in the the Victoria Cross (by the UK representative, Admiral Beatty).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I saw "Seiyu," "five-letter," and "form," and said haiku. lol at myself.
Andromus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Andromus »

seaborgium wrote:I saw "Seiyu," "five-letter," and "form," and said haiku. lol at myself.

Likewise, though my reaction afterwards was more like "D'oh" rather than "lol". (Or maybe "baka"!)
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

Did I just perfecto a Shakespeare category? The Apocalypse is truly upon us.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:I'm sure the scorer will accept any answers clearly meant for the other if out of place (if not making his life harder).
I don't doubt that, but that does not resolve the issue of how many points I get for answering one of them correctly and the other incorrectly.
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

On the 8-pointer today, I found a bit where The US & Great Britain gave one another's Unknowns their highest military award after WW1. And so far as I can find (reliably anyway), this was the only pair of countries to reciprocate in this way. So that was where the clue was going.

However, since I want to give you points, I'll accept one of the other medals awarded that day.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

demomoke wrote:Did I just perfecto a Shakespeare category? The Apocalypse is truly upon us.
A Shakespeare cat
Exposes my ignorance --
No! A perfecto!
lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

Regarding the R4D3 8-pointer, I posted two likely answers with a question mark, because I am not sure if one or both of them (medals)are correct.
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

gnash wrote:
demomoke wrote:Did I just perfecto a Shakespeare category? The Apocalypse is truly upon us.
A Shakespeare cat
Exposes my ignorance --
No! A perfecto!
Excellent.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

The Victoria Cross was the clue in one of the Daily Doubles in one of my episodes. I thankfully didn't pick that clue (switched categories and picked the other Daily Double instead, which worked out great for me) because I wouldn't have gotten it then, but I know it now.
Twitter: @jfrumkin