Tuesday, September 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jared if you are here then please explain the Stevenson stumper. That was the head scratching miss of the night.

Well there went the hopes of 30 clues played for every round for the 30th season.

Constitution Day $1600: In 2013 an ACLU lawyer convinced the supreme court blood tests for alcohol require a warrant or consent under this amendment (4th)

My apologies to anyone spoiled by the picture I posted in the Monday thread. I never would have guessed it was tonight's responses and wagers.

You're welcome to anyone who is marking the FJ clue correct who may have perhaps missed it otherwise.

1903 is enough to guess the city, so I'm in clear conscience counting it correct as I'm sure I would have got it playing with a clean slate.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I'm another viewer who was surprised to see Jekyll=RLS be a TS.

Even the best players occasionally have little brain farts, like "Oh, I know this. It's the guy who wrote Treasure Island -- what's his name again?" Or, "Jekyll and Hyde is 19th century and science fictiony but not Jules Verne, it's that other guy, you know?"

It's just weird to see it go 0 for 3, though. Even if one player has a temporary brain fart, you'd think one of the others would come up with it in time.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I wish we could see more of Tova. That's all. :D
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

southsidehitman wrote:And I, too, noticed after the fact that today's responses were displayed yesterday. My guess is that it was an editing mistake in post production.
Or a wrinkle in time.

I can only guess that, at some point during the taping of Tuesday's show, they discovered there was a problem with the very end of Monday's show, and they reshot it after the Tuesday show was complete (but forgot to change the contestant displays). Would be nice if one of the contestants involved made their way to this board.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

southsidehitman wrote:I was SHOCKED that Stevenson and Vonnegut were both TS's
So it goes...
JaredHall

Post by JaredHall »

Jared if you are here then please explain the Stevenson stumper. That was the head scratching miss of the night.
When called, I answer.

You're all absolutely correct, the Stevenson and Vonnegut triple stumpers were odd. I attribute my own lack of response to letting up a bit on the gas late in the game, but I was surprised by the silence from my competitors. I knew Stevenson but was feeling conservative and buzzer-shy (not sure why), and Vonnegut's name came too late for me to ring in confidently. Overall, though, I think the *ahem* unique score dynamics at the end of the game affected everyone's behavior.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JaredHall wrote:
When called, I answer.

You're all absolutely correct, the Stevenson and Vonnegut triple stumpers were odd. I attribute my own lack of response to letting up a bit on the gas late in the game, but I was surprised by the silence from my competitors. I knew Stevenson but was feeling conservative and buzzer-shy (not sure why), and Vonnegut's name came too late for me to ring in confidently. Overall, though, I think the *ahem* unique score dynamics at the end of the game affected everyone's behavior.
Welcome and congrats, Jared!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Nice to see Biden again, talking about something other than cars too (although most likely taped at the same time).
Although I think that gives him more airtime on Jeopardy than it does anywhere else this year.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Well done, Jared. Beautiful DJ round and nice icing on the cake to be the only one to get FJ!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

JaredHall wrote:
When called, I answer.

Congratulations, Jared! You're an impressive player. Hope you stick around JBoard!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yeah, congrats, Jared, on a most convincing win. You certainly found your buzzer mojo in DJ and hitting all 3 DDs (without even hunting for them) was impressive, especially since you nailed all 3. (Was anyone else shocked at the obviousness of the first DD? Divided Mediterranean island -- WTF else could it be?)

And, Kirk, I do understand your sentiments.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Neither date in the clue meant a thing to me. I couldn't imagine anything on the East Coast taking until 1981 to incorporate, nor could I think of anything famous that happened in the 1900-1910 range.
The screen shot of today's FJ responses in yesterday's thread didn't tip you off?
No. It wasn't even on the radar. The dates had me moving as far away from the East Coast as possible.
Sage on the Hudson

Stuffed-up Sonuses

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Biden's five-part miniseries clue on "Hail, Columbia" left us two short in DJ! Weird.
The song's title was changed to "Hail, Sony" when the Japanese company bought the studio in 1989.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

skullturf wrote:I'm another viewer who was surprised to see Jekyll=RLS be a TS.

Even the best players occasionally have little brain farts, like "Oh, I know this. It's the guy who wrote Treasure Island -- what's his name again?" Or, "Jekyll and Hyde is 19th century and science fictiony but not Jules Verne, it's that other guy, you know?"
I wasn't far off from this. I knew the Jeckyll author wrote some other famous book that was totally unrelated to this book. Hey, Daniel Defoe!!!!!
tailskid
Contributor

Post by tailskid »

I'm so slow I didn't make the connection between the different contestants' FJ answers/bets on yesterday's show and today's FJ until the first contestant's "I don't know" answer. Didn't realize Kitty Hawk was incorporated so recently... (Still confused as to why the switch was made, though).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Stuffed-up Sonuses

Post by Vanya »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Biden's five-part miniseries clue on "Hail, Columbia" left us two short in DJ! Weird.
The song's title was changed to "Hail, Sony" when the Japanese company bought the studio in 1989.
... and TRD makes his return with a racist comment. Congrats, TRD!
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Vanya wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
... and TRD makes his return with a racist comment. Congrats, TRD!
Come on. Get a little thicker skin. If he had said "Hail, (insert slang term for an Asian here)" you might have a point. He's just trying to be humorous, nothing beyond that.

This Is Kirk! wrote:I wish we could see more of Tova. That's all. :D
What, you would like that she were taller?

Is the above comment funny or am I being divisive regarding tall people?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Sherm wrote:

Only if she has a wooden leg.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Woof wrote:
Sherm wrote:

Named Smith.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
tailskid
Contributor

Post by tailskid »

earendel wrote:
Woof wrote:
Named Smith.
What's the name of her other leg?