Wednesday, September 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6668, 2013-09-18

CONTESTANTS
Jen Yoak, a latent-print examiner from Centerville, Ohio
Todd Martin, an administrative services manager from Fairfield, California
Jared Hall, a graduate student in global policy studies from Austin, Texas (whose 4-day cash winnings total $130,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our show. You average over $33,000 per win as a Jeopardy! champion and you have accomplished something pretty special. Well, that applies to Jared, but today, he has to play again, and his challengers are pretty good, also. Jen and Todd, welcome aboard, and good luck to all three of you. Here we go --the Jeopardy! Round. And these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLAY ACTION (2/5)
BUTTON HOOK (5/5) (Alex: Oh, I sense a trend.)
HAIL MARY (4/5)
REVERSE (3/5)
"LAT"-ERAL (5/5)
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jared: 11 R, 3 W
Todd: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jen: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Todd found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Jared had $200, Todd had $1,200, and Jen was at $400. Todd made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? $600: This school gave birth to the football huddle in the 1890s, when players huddled up to hide their sign language
(Todd: I don't have it.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Todd: $2,200
Jared: $1,000
Jen: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jen Yoak is a a latent-print examiner. You analyze prints and --fingerprints and palm prints, as well?

Jen: Yes, any --

Alex: Major-crime stuff?

Jen: Anything from minor property crimes up to major crimes against persons.

Alex: Locally, or are we talking about federally?

Jen: The lab I work at is mainly a local lab.

Alex: Are there a lot of other women doing your work?

Jen: It's actually becoming very heavily women in the field.

Alex: Okay, 'cause you have --you're greater at attention to detail.

Alex: Todd Martin is an administrative services manager who took three years off to do something very special and very rewarding.

Todd: Yes, my son was diagnosed with autism, so I resigned from my job and stayed home to work with him, working on different therapies and stuff at home. He's doing fantastic now, back in a mainstream school, and basically, it's a best-case-scenario situation, so we're very happy.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Jared Hall is our champion. I mentioned a couple of days ago that you had six weeks off in the summertime between games. Did you do any extra studying in the summer to prepare yourself? Because you're playing very, very well these last three days.

Jared: Yeah, I did a little bit of preparation, watched a lot of the shows, so I got very --even more familiar than I already was with your face, so that was a lot of fun, and just, you know, read broadly and widely and just tried to think positive about the games I had upcoming.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLAY ACTION $400: Young lovers, both in trouble, are forced to flee, & (what do you know!) both end up in the Forest of Arden
(Jared: What is A Midsummer Night's Dream?)
(Todd: What is Romeo and Juliet?)

PLAY ACTION $600: The Youngers get a $10,000 insurance check & leave their apartment to move into the all-white Clybourne Park neighborhood

PLAY ACTION $1000: Psychic Madame Arcati is no "coward"; she summons the ghost of Charles Condomine's ex, to hilarious effect

REVERSE $600: A phrase meaning a 180 in your situation, or a film with Jeremy Irons & Glenn Close as Claus & Sunny von Bulow

REVERSE $1000: A body such as Venus that moves in the opposite direction of other members of the solar system has this kind of motion

HAIL MARY $800: Later a U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mary Robinson served as this nation's president from 1990 to 1997
(Alex: Less than a minute now, Jared.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jared: $4,600
Todd: $2,800
Jen: $2,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN COMPOSERS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NEPO-TV-ISM (4/5)
MAGAZINES (3/5)
WHAT'S IT 2 U? (3/5) (Alex: There will be two U's in each correct response.)
STATES BY NATIONAL PARK SERVICE AREA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GOING FETAL (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jared: 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Todd: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jen: 1 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Todd snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Jared had $5,800, Todd had $3,200, and Jen was at $2,200. Todd wagered $1,800.

STATES BY NATIONAL PARK SERVICE AREA $800: Flight 93 National Memorial

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jared who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Jared had $14,200, Todd had $5,000, and Jen was at $2,200. Jared wagered $6,000.

AMERICAN COMPOSERS $1600: William Schuman, who won the first Pulitzer Prize for Music, served as president of this NYC school, 1945-1961

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MAGAZINES $1200: In 2013, More magazine marks 15 years of celebrating strong women, like this actress on the September cover

MAGAZINES $1600: This magazine of "science, technology & the future" has an Urban Skygazer section

AMERICAN COMPOSERS $800: Songs by cantor's son Harold Arlen include this one that begins, "Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky"

AMERICAN COMPOSERS $2000: This "Appalachian Spring" composer won an Oscar for his score to "The Heiress"

WHAT'S IT 2 U? $400: Inflexible due to overdeveloped biceps & lats

WHAT'S IT 2 U? $2000: At about 480 degrees, this element that's big in gunpowder spontaneously ignites in air

NEPO-TV-ISM $400: Campbell Scott of "Royal Pains":
son of Colleen Dewhurst & this Oscar winner

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jared: $26,600 (lock game)
Todd: $11,000
Jen: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR II

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Jared: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Todd: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Jen: You've no hope of catching up... unless Todd does something stupid. So risk $3,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Because time was short, only this ship's starboard side, used for boarding, was repainted September 1, 1945

FINAL SCORES
Jen: $3,400 + $3,399 = $6,799 (What is the USS Missouri?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Todd: $11,000 - $4,100 = $6,900 (What is the Arizona?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jared: $26,600 + $4,000 = $30,600 (What is the USS Missouri) (5-day champion: $161,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jared: $22,200, 25 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Todd: $11,200, 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jen: $3,400, 6 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jared: 26/59 = .441
Todd: 14/60 = .233
Jen: 7/58 = .121
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? $800: 91,136 fans can watch this college team play home games in Pasadena
(Jared: What are the USC Trojans?)

HAIL MARY $600: Once excommunicated by the Bishop of Adelaide, Mary MacKillop became the first Catholic st. of this country
(Jared: What is Ireland?)

BUTTON HOOK $1000: Traditionally, the shirt named for this British sport has broad stripes in 2 colors, a white collar & rubber buttons
(Jared: What is a [*] shirt?)

BUTTON HOOK $400: James Thomas Brudenell's title gave this classic buttoned sweater its name
(Alex: Yes -- Lord [*].)

AMERICAN COMPOSERS $1200: The piece heard here was written in less than 3 weeks by this composer

GOING FETAL $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) The 5-week-old embryo is now the size of an apple seed, and the tubelike structure that will become this organ can be seen on an ultrasound as a tiny flicker

GOING FETAL $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Are you talking or playing music for your baby? At 18 weeks, the bones and nerves of the ear may have developed enough that the baby can hear your stomach growling or blood flowing through this fetal lifeline

NEPO-TV-ISM $800: Melissa McCarthy of "Mike & Molly":
cousin of this Playboy Playmate
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

GOING FETAL $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Now that my due date is approaching, I visit my doctor weekly. He's checking the baby's heart rate using technology named for this physicist, who discovered that a moving sound source changes its perceived frequency

GOING FETAL $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) At the end of the second trimester, the baby's lungs are starting to produce surfactant, a substance that allows the air sacs to inflate; at the same time, the nostrils are opening up, though the baby is still breathing this fluid
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: I'm happy to report that Sarah has had a beautiful daughter named Taylor.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Gallaudet
As You Like It
A Raisin in the Sun
Blithe Spirit
Reversal of Fortune
retrograde
Ireland
Pennsylvania
the Juilliard School
Angie Harmon
Discover
"Stormy Weather"
Aaron Copland
musclebound
sulfur
George C. Scott
the USS Missouri
UCLA
Australia
rugby
a cardigan
Gershwin
the heart
the umbilical cord
Jenny McCarthy
(Christian) Doppler
the amniotic fluid

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 am

World War II
Because time was short, only this ship's starboard side, used for boarding, was repainted September 1, 1945.

SpoilerShow
What is the U.S.S. Missouri? Todd said the Arizona.

Jared Hall: $26,600+$4,000=$30,600...now a 5-day champion with $161,001
Todd Martin: $11,000-$4,100=$6,900
Jen Yoak: $3,400+$3,399=$6,799
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Jared Hall has several signature wins now, which I think bodes well for his chances in the next regular Tournament of Champions. He's the first player with three wins of at least $30,000 since March 22, 23 and 24 of 2011, when Megan Barnes turned in three consecutive winning totals of $37,601, $32,401 and $33,201. While I love watching Jared Hall play the game and I'm sure he's going to be a force in his Tournament of Champions, I still have to go with Andrew Moore as the $250,000 favorite at this point. But I'd definitely be interested in seeing these two clash in the two-day finals.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Interesting, I had no idea that Sara was pregnant and recently gave birth until I read it earlier today. Now, of course, today is the day I learn it on J! (whereas I assumed they wouldn't mention it. Great idea to work it into a category.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 pm

What was supposed to lead you to Harvard over any other Ivy League on Football for $200?

As You Like It was the only one of the five plays that I've heard of. But given the three stand-and-stares, I think that the writers overshot the category.

Button seemed like it was going to be another 0/5 "who cares?" category for me, but 501 saved me. And I hate wearing jeans.

====

Musclebound = inflexible? That totally baffled me. I never realized that "musclebound" had a connotation of being over-muscled; I thought it was just another word for "muscular". Also, I got hung up on the parallel of "inflexible" vs. "flex your muscles".

Oddly, $1600 was my only get in Nepo-TV-ism.

Sulfur and Doppler seemed easy at $2000. Surprised the former was a TS.

====

No guess on FJ! I know the Missouri is/was a ship, but could've told you literally nothing else.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

JoeSal90
Contributor

Post by JoeSal90 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Interesting, I also had no idea that Sarah was pregnant and that she recently gave birth until watching tonight's show. And it was a very great idea to work it into a category on the show as well.
Last edited by JoeSal90 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Congratulations, Sarah! Hopefully you still lurk and read my posts and will therefore see this. :P

ACW

Post by ACW » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 pm

I too had no idea Sarah was pregnant. Mazel Tov to her :)
Jared won exactly $22k in DJ! :shock:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:02 pm

For a top row clue, I went with the obvious and said Harvard. It is our nation's oldest and most prestigious college so it seemed like a safe guess.

Congratulations to Sarah!!!!!!

Not sure if it is a real word, but said usurist for the loan sharking clue. Judges? (It asked for one who lends money.....).

I also don't associate musclebound with inflexible, but got it as well.

FJ was an instaget. Nice wagering by all three.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Bamaman wrote:For a top row clue, I went with the obvious and said Harvard. It is our nation's oldest and most prestigious college so it seemed like a safe guess.
Whereas the last 9001 times I've "gone for the obvious", it's been the second most obvious. Or third. Or sixteenth.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:13 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Musclebound = inflexible? That totally baffled me. I never realized that "musclebound" had a connotation of being over-muscled; I thought it was just another word for "muscular". Also, I got hung up on the parallel of "inflexible" vs. "flex your muscles".
Bound in this case is a past tense of bind. As a baseball fan, I still hear some old-time baseball players rail against weightlifting, believing that being musclebound reduces your flexibility.

If this were a Tournament of Champions quarter-final, I would be concerned for Jared's advancement because some of the Triple Stumpers seemed easy to me. But he's got plenty of time to bone up on those subjects.
Last edited by silverscreentest on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

NoName84

Post by NoName84 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Couldn't pick between Harvard (oldest and most prestigious,) Yale (Walter Camp developed American football as we know it) or Princeton (played in first ever college football game.)

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead you to Harvard over any other Ivy League on Football for $200?
Nothing, really. I thought that was undervalued. Still and all, it's a small sampling, so take a stab at Harvard/ Yale/ Princeton (all other Ivy league schools pale, yes?) and cross your fingers.
JoeSal90 wrote: I also had no idea that Sarah was pregnant
Me neither! I wonder if a "Hey There Delilah" fan knew, and if he didn't, if there are any TVs left in his house.

Angie Harmon a S&S? I weep. Can't imagine Vanya's too happy about it either.

Did Alex read that first clue in National Parks correctly? He seemed to read it as three parks, when I thought it might've been a one word park followed by a two?
Little help, econgator?

Three straight incredibly easy (for me) FJs.

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Listened/watched to tonight's episode while washing a couple of windows, so I didn't pay much attention until FJ. For a World War II buff such as myself, it was beyond an Instaget, if there could be such a thing.

But the USS Arizona as an answer? Ouch!

Congrats to Jared for a great run!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp

mrparadise
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrparadise » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Forgive me, but I find it all but unbelievable that an obvious J! fan such as yourself would be doing windows while J! (the third show of the new season no less!) droned on in the background. Or maybe that just means you're not as obsessed as many of us.

Golf

Post by Golf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:50 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! I know the Missouri is/was a ship, but could've told you literally nothing else.
And this is why people worry about the younger generation, one of the most important moments in U.S. history and you don't have clue one about it. Having stood in the exact spot the document was signed on the U.S.S. Missouri, I could visualize exactly what the clue was describing. Regardless, a fairly simple clue.

I did however take issue with the football DD in the first round, what a piece of crap amongst four other respectable clues.

BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Golf wrote:Having stood in the exact spot the document was signed on the U.S.S. Missouri, I could visualize exactly what the clue was describing.
Same here. Visited the U.S.S. Missouri on a trip to Hawaii a few years back, so it was an instaget for me.

Picked up some good Lach trash with retrograde, sulfur, and Aaron Copland for a total of $5,000. I thought the reference to "Appalachian Spring" was a dead giveaway.

Congrats to Jared on another great game - looking forward to more!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Paucle wrote: Nothing, really. I thought that was undervalued. Still and all, it's a small sampling, so take a stab at Harvard/ Yale/ Princeton (all other Ivy league schools pale, yes?) and cross your fingers.
*Ahem* Brown was in the first Rose Bowl game.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:14 pm

alietr wrote:*Ahem* Brown was in the first Rose Bowl game.
There were what.... 9 colleges then? One school had to play twice to get all 5 bowls played. ;)