Thursday, September 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, September 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Several years ago, I read an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader article all about the weird production tricks on Sgt. Pepper. I like creative production (hi, Jay Joyce), but DANG does that come across as a labor-intensive album whose songs would be impossible to re-create in concert.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Several years ago, I read an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader article all about the weird production tricks on Sgt. Pepper. I like creative production (hi, Jay Joyce), but DANG does that come across as a labor-intensive album whose songs would be impossible to re-create in concert.
They didn't worry about little things like that, as they had already stopped doing concerts.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Several years ago, I read an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader article all about the weird production tricks on Sgt. Pepper. I like creative production (hi, Jay Joyce), but DANG does that come across as a labor-intensive album whose songs would be impossible to re-create in concert.
They didn't worry about little things like that, as they had already stopped doing concerts.

Brian
Even so, as a recording artist, that's a potential that I would want to leave open — that the majority of my catalog can be performed in concert, even if I'm not actively doing any.

To be fair, it's not just them. Doesn't Queen have to resort to pre-recorded vocals every time they do "Bohemian Rhapsody"? And how does Billy Joel handle "The Longest Time" live?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Ran through all the Beatles albums trying to think of an album title that "worked" with the lyric. When that didn't work, I tried Satisfaction, which isn't an album.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

dhkendall wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Wanting to see if the judges could help with this one. STORY, $200, "Whodunnit" was given, would "Mystery" suffice?
Any ruling yet?
Has to be "sorry, but no." The clue (and I don't recall the exact wording) asked for a question (which was "whodunit?") "Mystery" was the correct genre but didn't fit the parameters of the clue.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:On the last DD the word has to be "divided" since it's a quote? I got to divide in thinking about divide and conquer, but took the neg.

The writers need to take something off these long category names. That costs as much time as the TSes, slow calls and misses to rebounds.

Classic Albums had me thinking it would be Beatles. That's the easy part. Sorry, those with more knowledge about the Fab Four than I do. Nothing in the clue helped me. Even if the song had been named I would not know which album. Of course I've heard the song and the whole album. Just not more than a few times. I scribbled Let It Be to have a response at the end of think time while telling myself that it was probably 1969 or 1970, so too late. Lyrics are never a strength for me.

The show caught a break with Jared having a clean response. With "Sgt. Pepper" taken it would have been a mess if Jared would have had to be negged if he added an "s" or missed an "s" somewhere. Asking for that album for a response in the FJ! round is asking for trouble.

Jared had an off game with or without Parth's big DD wager. Tomorrow had to be a better game for him.

Yes, the word has to be "divided," since the opening line to Caesar's "Gallic Wars," is quite famous: "All Gaul (sometimes rendered "greater Gaul") is divided into three parts...."

I agree about the loooong category names. Of course contestants could help relieve the problem if they would abbreviate the category name when calling for the next clue, certainly after the first clue in the category. Why say "Hall of Fame Athletes of the 1930s From West of the Mississippi" (five times yet) when you can say "athletes" and speed the game along so much?

Something told me that Jared would pull this one out because Parth (is that his correct name?) would stumble on an album title from classic rock. Too bad for him, as he played a fine game until that point. Good for Jared, who moves into the top-10 of all time in regular season winnings. How far can the man go?

For my part my well-documented ignorance of popular music bit me again. I was proud of myself for figuring out that this was a reference to a Beatles album, but darned if I knew which one.

I was also shocked by the anagrammed state capitals category. I thought going in that I would be all over it. As it turns out I probably could have gotten them if I had 30 seconds instead of 5. But the category was a deep hole for me. Wow.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
Mccartney has done several of the songs from that album on solo shows in recent years, and mentioned it was the first time the song was performed live(Getting Better for one on his 2002 Back in the US tour)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I felt good about my FJ response when I saw Jared writing a lot down on his screen.

Can it really be considered "pop culture" if the album was recorded before any of the contestants were born?

Thanks to my high school Latin teacher for getting divided.
legendneverdies

About WWTBAM episode one yesterday
Spoiler
Yesterday's episode one BAM contestant made it to the $250K question and ATAed on the $250K question(the majority of the audience, 33%, had the correct answer, and she stopped at $100K). THe contestant was 25-30 I would guess, and the two round one questions jumped over were essentially who record "BOrn on the Bayou"(Credence Clearwater Revival) and what year MTV would turn 35(2016, as it debuted in 1981). CCR and most likely MTV's debut were before her time
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Even so, as a recording artist, that's a potential that I would want to leave open — that the majority of my catalog can be performed in concert, even if I'm not actively doing any.
Obviously any of the songs could be performed live. There's no reason they've got to sound exactly like the recorded version. In fact I'd be kind of disappointed if I went to a concert and the band played every song just like the recording. Why even bother to play live if you're going to do this?

And as a personal aside, I'm going to see The National tonight. I hardly go to any concerts anymore, but pretty excited about this one!
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Even so, as a recording artist, that's a potential that I would want to leave open — that the majority of my catalog can be performed in concert, even if I'm not actively doing any.

To be fair, it's not just them. Doesn't Queen have to resort to pre-recorded vocals every time they do "Bohemian Rhapsody"? And how does Billy Joel handle "The Longest Time" live?
Artists use pre-recorded backing tracks in concert all the time. That's also what backup vocalists are for.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

seaborgium wrote:I had a feeling FJ would give Parth some trouble. I pegged him as someone whose smarts were more strictly academic, and who might be thrown by a purely pop culture FJ. Actually, I felt like he might predict a wager of less than $400 from Jared, and defensively wager less than $3,200. As a result, I can't fault Jared for betting it all.
I agree with all of this and I'm guessing this is why Jared went for everything, even though he had missed a few gimme music questions earlier in the game. Kudos to Parth for having the guts to wager properly (er, for the win - that extra dollar cost him a G, and potentially more).

I also mention in my analysis that sometimes longtime champs get bored, and start wagering for big bucks. After five games, maybe Jared was satisfied. Or maybe he had run out of clothes and didn't want to wear the same thing twice.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

This Is Kirk! wrote:And as a personal aside, I'm going to see The National tonight. I hardly go to any concerts anymore, but pretty excited about this one!
I've seen them twice. They put on a great show.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Even so, as a recording artist, that's a potential that I would want to leave open — that the majority of my catalog can be performed in concert, even if I'm not actively doing any.
Obviously any of the songs could be performed live. There's no reason they've got to sound exactly like the recorded version. In fact I'd be kind of disappointed if I went to a concert and the band played every song just like the recording. Why even bother to play live if you're going to do this?
Some people will be disappointed if it doesn't sound exactly like the studio version.

If you can't afford backing vocalists, there's always learning to use the loop pedal.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Vermonter wrote:I also mention in my analysis that sometimes longtime champs get bored, and start wagering for big bucks. After five games, maybe Jared was satisfied. Or maybe he had run out of clothes and didn't want to wear the same thing twice.
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often on Friday games taped on Wednesday, since a player who wins will have to wait six days to come back and play again and might have family/work obligations or some other reason not to make the extra travel.
Bubba83
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Bubba83 »

Was anyone else as disappointed as I was when they didn't get to three of the James Bond clues in Single Jeopardy? I was 2 for 2 and wanted to see if I could make it 5 for 5.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

silverscreentest wrote:Some people will be disappointed if it doesn't sound exactly like the studio version.
And those people do not understand live music. Seems like they're kind of missing the point, doesn't it?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Bubba83 wrote:Was anyone else as disappointed as I was when they didn't get to three of the James Bond clues in Single Jeopardy? I was 2 for 2 and wanted to see if I could make it 5 for 5.
Here, I made some up for you.

$600 - "You can see so much in me, so much in me that's new, I never felt until I looked at you."

$800 - "When it crumbles, we will stand tall, face it all together."

$1000 - "If that's all we have, you will find we need nothing more, every step of the way will find us."
This Is Kirk! wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:Some people will be disappointed if it doesn't sound exactly like the studio version.
And those people do not understand live music. Seems like they're kind of missing the point, doesn't it?
When I was much younger, seeing a big name live was an event. I didn't mind variations in instrumentation, but I'd be pretty disappointed if I found out they couldn't sing for real. This was in the days before Autotune.

I saw this live while exercising at my local health club. Is the audience grooving to the music? No, they're taking picture on their cellphones:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/alicia- ... l-20119415
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

silverscreentest wrote: Here, I made some up for you.

$600 - "You can see so much in me, so much in me that's new, I never felt until I looked at you."
$800 - "When it crumbles, we will stand tall, face it all together."
$1000 - "If that's all we have, you will find we need nothing more, every step of the way will find us."
Spoiler
$600 - All Time High?
~
$1000 - We Have All the Time in the World
No way that $1000er would have been used though, not even a ToC.

Damnit...botched the coin flip on the other one.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
legendneverdies

Hypothetical $600 clue in Bond movie themes response
Spoiler
For Your Eyes ONly by SHeena Easton