Friday, September 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Wager malfunction

Post by Vermonter »

Bamaman wrote:I can't wait to see today's edition of The Final Wager.
Here you go. :)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, September 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue »

Who is Eric?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I didn't notice any visual cues to NYC on Flyover for $200. What'd I miss?
If you don't recognize any of the buildings of NYC, I guess it looks like any other city of 8 million people. Oh! Wait a minute! There are no other US cities of 8 million people.

There was really a $3400 clue in the J! round!?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I didn't notice any visual cues to NYC on Flyover for $200. What'd I miss?
If you don't recognize any of the buildings of NYC, I guess it looks like any other city of 8 million people. Oh! Wait a minute! There are no other US cities of 8 million people.

Brian
The clue didn't mention a population, just said "Good luck finding a cab".

If Sarah had gone all in, she'd have won an extra $201, though wouldn't be coming back Monday.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

She actually won less than the 2nd place player.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Johnblue wrote:She actually won less than the 2nd place player.
Don't forget she wins $1,000 just for showing up next time.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Cue The Pixies

Post by Vermonter »

Johnblue wrote:Who is Eric?
You know what? I have no idea why I put that name up there instead of Andrew. Sheesh. Happy Friday!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I never watched Ugly Betty. Was sitcom the best term for the clue to use? Just curious if dramedy or comedy-drama is more accurate since it was a 60-minute show. Knowing the Eli Wallach (still living and will be 98 on Pearl Harbor day) one was more for me.

Yes, Neal got to three wins and $60,798. Congrats on doing better than so many others do. As for the possibility of a 4th win? Was the last DD a potential to put a game away or beartrap? The clue selection at the end of the DJ! round should have been different.

I'll have to put Prague on the poll as I can czech that as well. Friday geography clues are going to embarrass me often than I will end the week on a good note. I got to the right area and split and went the wrong way because I convinced myself that Prague as the more common city to appear on J! was the way to go. Of course Bratislava is fair game for the FJ! round and since something changed with the split I should have known that was the one to write. 50/50/90 fail.

4/10 to open the season is enough goofing around. I'm getting four or five right next week to get over 50%.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also went with Prague because it is better known and more likely to have an FJ written around it. Thanks to The final Wager host for pointing out the clue practically told us it wasn't Prague as the fact the city in answer was not a capital prior to 1993.

Bad move by Andrew not picking the bears clue at the bottom instead of going for the pre-revolution clue at $800, where a DD is less likely to be found.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Austin Powers wrote:When Alex said, "less than a minute to go," the three contestants collectively went into brain fart mode.

I'll admit that, on FJ, it's easier if you have been to Bratislava. With that said, it's another example of the kind of question that a future contestant could get by devoting two hours in study prep by looking at an atlas.
Or been to Prague, as I was this summer. I drove there from Munich and can tell you it's on the border with nothin'.

Without the TOMs, it would be a matter of luck to find this from atlas study.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew the splitting country must be Czechoslovakia, but I went the wrong way too. It makes me wish my choir had gone to Prague as well as Vienna and Munich last summer (as was considered in the planning stages of our trip) so I would have known from experience that Prague doesn't border Austria. At least I know from the way the game turned out that I would have won from any of the contestants' positions.

Greely publishing in 1738? Go back in time, young man.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Johnblue wrote:
I was in Bratislava about 2 1/2 years ago. It was not the most exciting city I've ever been too but the people were much nicer than those in Vienna, a city that truly sucks. Anyway, after 2 consecutive missed FJ's (my first misses of the young season :( ), this was an instaget.
Since I have an abiding love for Vienna, I happen to take exception to that comment, but whatever. I managed to get Bratislava by remembering that it, not Prague, lies on the Danube, which is the border for those countries.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I had a bad experience there & the cops were useless. Plus the city was dirty which was unexpected. I think I'd always wanted to visit the city & it was such a letdown being there. Only place I've been to that I would never revisit.
Johnblue

Re: Cue The Pixies

Post by Johnblue »

Vermonter wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Who is Eric?
You know what? I have no idea why I put that name up there instead of Andrew. Sheesh. Happy Friday!
I noticed you posted about Wednesday's game around when you posted that video so maybe that Eric was still on your mind? Anyway, I enjoyed your video. I don't fret too much about wagers but tonight was just so awful.
butler77
Contributor

Post by butler77 »

Was the Iroquois Confederacy the same as the Iroquois Nation? I am confused.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Prague here.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

butler77 wrote:Was the Iroquois Confederacy the same as the Iroquois Nation? I am confused.
Don't know if they're exactly the same, but probably close enough to be used interchangeably as the same answer.
They were initially 5 nations (Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Seneca) but very late in their existence accepted a 6th (Tuscarora).
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

MarkBarrett wrote:I never watched Ugly Betty. Was sitcom the best term for the clue to use? Just curious if dramedy or comedy-drama is more accurate since it was a 60-minute show.
It was usually light-hearted, occasionally dramatic, never hilarious. At the Emmys its nominations were always filed under comedy. It was decidedly *not* a sitcom, though.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Talked myself out of Bratislava (not being familiar enough with the specific geography of Prague), saying "Nah, can't be Bratislava. That would be too hard for Jeopardy."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
The clue didn't mention a population, just said "Good luck finding a cab".
Yes, I know the clue didn't mention population. You could tell (but apparently TPH couldn't) that the video showed a really really big city.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.