Think Different 165: Texas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Think Different 165: Texas

Post by Lumosityfan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Howdy, y’all! This is your host of Think Different 165, Lumosityfan, sending you high hopes from the great state of Texas. We are going to take a whirlwind tour through ten of the important aspects about Texas. But before we enter, there are some rules you must follow:
1. All answers must be (or they will NOT BE ACCEPTED) sent via PM by OCTOBER 14, 2013 at noon Eastern Daylight Time.
2. The goal is, as always, to guess what no one else will guess while also being correct (for being incorrect will incur a penalty). Lowest score wins.
3. The scoring guidelines go as follows:

a. If you guess correctly, you will earn the number of points that equals how many people guess that answer correctly.
b. If you guess incorrectly, you will earn double the sheep value (equal to how many people guessed the most popular correct answer).
c. Furthermore, if you answer the bonus, you will receive one point off. (However, you have to answer the question correct in order to receive the bonus. No penalty for incorrect bonuses, however! If there are multiple bonuses, you will receive points off for each separate question; therefore, you don’t have to answer the first bonus correct to get credit for the second bonus.)

4. In honor of Wendy Davis, the Filibuster tool can be used on only one question. If you choose to use it, then the normal penalty will be slashed by half. Therefore, you will earn the value of the sheep.
5. There will be, as always, one drop.
6. So as to make sure that everyone answers every question (and doesn’t leave it blank), if you give a blank answer somehow, then the normal penalty for incorrect answers will be furthered doubled. (This should not have to be used, but I want to make sure that everyone answers.)
7. Finally, have fun! (Oh, and watch out for the tumbleweeds!)
Questions below.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion

Lumosityfan

Re: Think Different 165: Texas

Post by Lumosityfan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 pm

1. We begin in the great city of Houston, named, of course, by the famous Texan patriot Sam Houston. Houston is only one of a handful of populous cities in the United States. Name one Texan city which is part of the 50 most populous US cities as of the 2010 US Census not including Houston.
Bonus #1: For the city you answered, name what position that city is in.
Bonus #2: Name how many Texas cities are in the 50 most populous US cities.
2. We now go further to the Astrodome, home of the first usage of the world-famous AstroTurf. AstroTurf, as we all know, revolutionized sports forever. Texas sports aren’t too shabby either. Name a Texas sports team that has won at least one Stanley Cup, World Series, Super Bowl, or NBA Finals while playing as a Texas team.
Bonus #1: Name how many championships that team has won ever since its induction and while that team was in Texas.
3. We now start driving down I-45 along the Bolivar Peninsula to visit Gilchrist, a town devastated by a certain hurricane recently. Name one hurricane that has made landfall in Texas and whose name was retired anytime there were hurricane names.
Bonus #1: Name what year that hurricane made landfall.
4. Driving down numerous highways, we now encounter Washington-on-the-Brazos, where a group of Texan revolutionaries declared Independence from Mexico. Name a president of the Republic of Texas.
5. We now drive west on I-10 and northwest of US-270 to Austin, Texas, home of the largest Capitol in the United States. Austin was the originator of many political powers. Name a person representing Texas who has occupied the office of President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, Senate Majority Leader, Senate Minority Leader, House Majority Leader, or Supreme Court Justice.
Bonus #1: Name what office(s) that person occupied.
6. We now drive west to El Paso, the westernmost point in Texas. Texas also border a good amount of states in both the United States and Mexico. Name a state that Texas borders.
7. Heading north, we drive to Amarillo, Texas, which is inconveniently located at the southern portion of Tornado Alley. Name one state which is considered part of Tornado Alley and which is one of the 9 most affected states as reported by the National Climactic Data Center and also on Wikipedia.
8. Heading south again, we drive along I-20 to Dallas and Fort Worth, then drive to Waco, home of Baylor University. Not including Baylor, name a Division I FBS school from Texas.
9. We now head back to Houston, which is the head of Harris County. This is also a good time to mention that Texas has a lot of counties. Name one of the many counties that Texas is host to.
Bonus: Name the county head of said county.
10. We now end in San Antonio, since a visit to Texas is not complete without including San Antonio. (Sorry, South Texas, but I wanted to keep this to 10 questions) San Antonio is home to the River Walk and the Alamo. It is also home to SeaWorld. Speaking of rivers, name a river in Texas that is at least 500 miles long.

I hope you all enjoyed this wonderful tour through many wonderful aspects of Texas, and I hope you had fun! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Participant List (28):

MarkBarrett
ElendilPickle
NYCScribbler
Leander
Vanya
This is Kirk!
FermiParadox
Creed Bratton
dhkendall
gamawire
tjconn728
Magna
waterloo_guy
deframc
CoachP
kettledrum
amorris525
jeffwolfe
Woof
Budphrey
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Bamaman
econgator
lisa0012
Sherm
cheezyguyty
jkbrat
Rackme32
Paucle
goforthetie
Last edited by Lumosityfan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 16 times in total.

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:33 pm

I suppose I have to play this. *salutes the Texas flag*

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:39 pm

How are you defining a Supreme Court justice as "representing" Texas?

Born there?
Grew up there?
Attended college or law school there?
Member of Texas bar?
Federal judge in Texas?

Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Bamaman wrote:How are you defining a Supreme Court justice as "representing" Texas?

Born there?
Grew up there?
Member of Texas bar?
Federal judge in Texas?
I'm going to make it so that that person was working in Texas at the time of that person's nomination to the Supreme Court.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Lumosityfan wrote: 5. ... Name a person representing Texas who has occupied the office of President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, Senate Majority Leader, Senate Minority Leader, House Majority Leader, and Supreme Court Justice.
I'm gonna guess here that that 'and' should be an 'or'?

jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 am

Volante wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote: 5. ... Name a person representing Texas who has occupied the office of President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, Senate Majority Leader, Senate Minority Leader, House Majority Leader, and Supreme Court Justice.
I'm gonna guess here that that 'and' should be an 'or'?
Question 2 also has an "and" that seems like it should be an "or".

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:46 am

Many questions should be made a bit more precise.
Lumosityfan wrote: 7. Heading north, we drive to Amarillo, Texas, which is inconveniently located at the southern portion of Tornado Alley. Name one state which is considered part of Tornado Alley.
Considered by whom? "Tornado Alley" means different things to different people.
Lumosityfan wrote: 2. We now go further to the Astrodome, home of the first usage of the world-famous AstroTurf. AstroTurf, as we all know, revolutionized sports forever. Texas sports aren’t too shabby either. Name a Texas sports team that has won at least one championship in the NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB.
Bonus #1: Name how many championships that team has won ever since its induction.
How are you dealing with franchise moves? That is, if a franchise won championships before moving to Texas, are those included in the count? I assume "championship" doesn't include something like winning the National League pennant, even though such winners are called NL champions. Correct?
5. We now drive west on I-10 and northwest of US-270 to Austin, Texas, home of the largest Capitol in the United States. Austin was the originator of many political powers. Name a person representing Texas who has occupied the office of President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, Senate Majority Leader, Senate Minority Leader, House Majority Leader, and Supreme Court Justice.
I'm going to make it so that that person was working in Texas at the time of that person's nomination to the Supreme Court.
So someone who is a Texas Congressman when he gets appointed to the SC does not count, since that person was working in DC.
10. We now end in San Antonio, since a visit to Texas is not complete without including San Antonio. (Sorry, South Texas, but I wanted to keep this to 10 questions) San Antonio is home to the River Walk and the Alamo. It is also home to SeaWorld. Speaking of rivers, name a river in Texas.
You probably want standards here as to what counts as a river (minimum length, for instance). You probably don't want to have to bother with little creeks that form in someone's backyard when it rains.

Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 am

Hi everyone,

Since many people around the JBoard have noticed some issues with the questions that could be troublesome, here are some clarifications:

An FBS Team, in case anyone doesn't know, is a team that plays in the Football Bowl Subdivision in Division I. Therefore, teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, and Georgia Tech would count, while teams like Harvard and Iona would not. Also, the correct answer must be a team that is in the FBS as of the 2013-14 season.

For question 1, the 50 most populous will be based on city population, not metropolitan population.

For question 2, the answer will only be teams that won their championships while they were still in Houston. (For instance, if a team residing in Louisville won a Super Bowl in 1957 then moved to Houston and didn't win one since, then that team wouldn't count.) In addition, the bonus will only be looking for the amount won while in a Texas City.

For question 5, goforthetie made a good point, which means that I will consider right answers to be people who were working in Texas or representing Texas at the time of the Supreme Court nomination and who had lived in Texas at the time of their being elected to office correct.

For question 10, I will only consider any rivers that are at least 300 miles (including lengths outside of Texas).

Hopefully that cleared up any confusion!

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:17 am

On the sports question:

What about teams who won titles before the merger in leagues that merged? If the World Fizzbin League and the Major League Fizzbin merged, but the merged league counted records from both, would the San Marcos Iotians count as a title-holder?
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:38 pm

You didn't answer the Tornado Alley question.

Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:23 pm

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:On the sports question:

What about teams who won titles before the merger in leagues that merged? If the World Fizzbin League and the Major League Fizzbin merged, but the merged league counted records from both, would the San Marcos Iotians count as a title-holder?
Then those answers would not count unless they've won a title since then.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:15 pm

goforthetie wrote:You didn't answer the Tornado Alley question.
I'm also wondering what the answer is. Maybe you could cite a particular source? I pm'd you about possibly rewording the question.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Question about the filibuster. If we choose to use it do we still write an answer for that question? For example "Hurricane Zeke (filibuster)" for an answer we're not real sure about?

Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Magna wrote:
goforthetie wrote:You didn't answer the Tornado Alley question.
I'm also wondering what the answer is. Maybe you could cite a particular source? I pm'd you about possibly rewording the question.
SO as to not to confuse anyone, the correct answers will be based on the 9 most affected states by tornadoes reported by the National Climactic Data Center for the period January 1, 1950 to July 31, 2009 as shown on Wikipedia.

Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:19 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:Question about the filibuster. If we choose to use it do we still write an answer for that question? For example "Hurricane Zeke (filibuster)" for an answer we're not real sure about?
I planned on having the filibuster used by itself and not with any answer, almost like some of those special tools like the General Assembly for the previous TD.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Lumosityfan wrote:
Bamaman wrote:How are you defining a Supreme Court justice as "representing" Texas?

Born there?
Grew up there?
Member of Texas bar?
Federal judge in Texas?
The President or Vice President don't really represent the state either. For them, is "born there" or "lived there ____ years" enough? (specify number of years)

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Lumosityfan wrote:An FBS Team, in case anyone doesn't know, is a team that plays in the Football Bowl Subdivision in Division I. Therefore, teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, and Georgia Tech would count, while teams like Harvard and Iona would not. Also, the correct answer must be a team that is in the FBS as of the 2013-14 season.
So the school can be - but doesn't have to be - in Texas. Is that right?

Lumosityfan

Post by Lumosityfan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Magna wrote:
Lumosityfan wrote:An FBS Team, in case anyone doesn't know, is a team that plays in the Football Bowl Subdivision in Division I. Therefore, teams like Alabama, Oklahoma, and Georgia Tech would count, while teams like Harvard and Iona would not. Also, the correct answer must be a team that is in the FBS as of the 2013-14 season.
So the school can be - but doesn't have to be - in Texas. Is that right?
Of course the school for your answer has to be in Texas I just gave those examples so that potential answers wouldn't become spoilers.