Tuesday, October 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

I like what I saw from Jason Idarski in his first win. He knew when to wager big and when to stay small, and it worked for him nicely. Additionally, I felt something of a Chris Miller vibe from him, which I also consider good. :-) The $25,599 win is the largest in a Runaway since Jared Hall's $30,600 fifth win on September 18.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Presidential Election History
In 1948 he won South Carolina with 72% of the vote & 3 other states but finished a distant third overall.

Spoiler
Who is Strom Thurmond? Erin said Huey Long.

Jason Idalski: $20,800+$4,799=$25,599...now a 1-day champion with $25,599
Mary Murrell: $8,000+$1,250=$9,250
Erin Hoesly: $4,600-$4,000=$600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Shame they didn't get through the Family Feud hosts category.

Me thinks $1200 would have been Louie Anderson, though hardcore FF fans disavow any knowledge of his hosting.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nice game by Jason and a good bet on FJ, making the maximum safe bet to maintain the lock. Nice knowledge of the rules on the $5 DD bet. (Did you know that was the minimum or did you have to ask).

Mary jinxed herself by arguing with Alex about the death of books.

An instaget FJ, would have been tempted to bet it all based on the category even with a lock.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "F"ilm, and they just had to throw that stupid teapot at the bottom to cost me the run in Food & Drink.

0/5 in This Old, although I clammed on $200, $400, and $1000.

I'm surprised the bottom two in Choice Words weren't TSes. Who uses the words "pellucid" or "abrogate"?!

Absolutely humiliated that I skunked the Target category, retail buff that I am. I couldn't figure out what $400 was asking at first, and when I finally decoded it, the jump from golf to Augusta just wasn't there. Couldn't remember if Casper or Cheyenne was the capital of Wyoming. Didn't know that fact about Costco, and my mind didn't even go to Costco because "alternative" had me thinking it'd be another discount store. (I almost WAGged Fred Meyer.) NHO that nickname for Reno, or the sports guy at $2000.

Disappointed that they didn't get to finish the Family Feud category, but completely blanking on Al Roker lessened the disappointment some.

Strom Thurmond entered my mind briefly, but I was eleventy billion percent positive that he did NOT run for president and would never in a billion years be right, so I put down "What is your mom, Trebek?" because in my mind, it had a greater possibility of being right.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: NHO........the sports guy at $2000.
Grrrrrrrr..............
Strom Thurmond entered my mind briefly, but I was eleventy billion percent positive that he did NOT run for president and would never in a billion years be right.
Can't get much more right than Strom Thurmond.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Shame they didn't get through the Family Feud hosts category.

Me thinks $1200 would have been Louie Anderson, though hardcore FF fans disavow any knowledge of his hosting.
Probably would have been about Steve Harvey. NOt sure if Ray COmbs is known for much else than Feud(he was manly known as a stand up comedian, warm up guy, and comedy club owner outside of Feud, and he was hosting the 1995-96 season of Family Channel's Family Challenge up until right before his death). DOn't think they'd mention he committed suicide in 1996.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I'm surprised the bottom two in Choice Words weren't TSes. Who uses the words "pellucid" or "abrogate"?!
Crossworders do, especially "abrogate".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

legendneverdies wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Shame they didn't get through the Family Feud hosts category.

Probably would have been about Steve Harvey. NOt sure if Ray COmbs is known for much else than Feud(he was manly known as a stand up comedian, warm up guy, and comedy club owner outside of Feud, and he was hosting the 1995-96 season of Family Channel's Family Challenge up until right before his death). DOn't think they'd mention he committed suicide in 1996.
I was trying to remember all the Feud hosts when the category came up. Combs I ruled out immediately since Feud was the only thing he did that wasn't totally obscure. (Family Challenge had a pretty cool theme song, though.) Louie didn't really have a big résumé either other than Life with Louie, so he might've been out too. So that would obviously leave Mr. "I'm gonna mug the camera and rant for five minutes because someone gave 'penis' as an answer for the 50,000th time to a blatantly single-entendre question".

Didn't Roker only host a handful of celeb episodes?
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Bamaman wrote:Nice game by Jason and a good bet on FJ, making the maximum safe bet to maintain the lock. Nice knowledge of the rules on the $5 DD bet. (Did you know that was the minimum or did you have to ask).

Mary jinxed herself by arguing with Alex about the death of books.

An instaget FJ, would have been tempted to bet it all based on the category even with a lock.
I don't know if he knew beforehand, but they go over the $5 minimum bet in the morning briefing.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I agree with Alex in re real books.

Good game! Easy FJ.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Didn't Roker only host a handful of celeb episodes?
All he hosted was the SUmmer 2008 NBC Celebrity run, yes.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I didn't know the word "pellucid", but I still got that one, because it contains "lucid", so I thought maybe it had something to do with light.

I didn't precall FJ exactly. But I did spend some time during the break trying to think of historically interesting presidential elections.

I know the 1912 one is interesting, and it's come up in trivia games before. (Former president Teddy Roosevelt finished second, running as a minor party candidate.) I then tried to think of other election years where a third-party candidate did well, and I remembered both Strom Thurmond and George Wallace. I even said to myself during that commercial break, "I think Thurmond ran in 1948, although I'm not 100% sure it wasn't 1944. And also, I think George Wallace was 1972, or maybe 1968."

So I was pleased when the clue involved one of the elections and one of the people I thought of. Sometimes it pays to mentally explore the subject area a little while you're waiting.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Wallace was 3rd party in 1968. He was shot by Bremer during the '72 primary season.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a better game than last night but was still not very good, although I have to give the contestants credit for knowing to DD hunt. I was happy that this was a good board, after the not so good one last night.

I sounded pathetic throwing out numbers in the "How Old Do You Have to Be?" category. I only knew the $1000 clue, since I got my learner's permit at 15.

I guessed "Chick-Fil-a" on the "Hooters" clue. I didn't know that Hooters is based here in Atlanta; I had thought that they were based in Florida.

Jason did well to lock the game out. I had thought that he may get into trouble with the negs.

FJ was Teen Tournament level, and I had to make sure that I wasn't missing something when I saw the clue. "1948 + South Carolina" should be Pavlov for Thurmond.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Since they only listed three states for the permit, I had to clam. It is 15 in Alabama so I thought those states had to be something different and unique to those three states.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Bamaman wrote:Since they only listed three states for the permit, I had to clam. It is 15 in Alabama so I thought those states had to be something different and unique to those three states.
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure since I had thought that it was the same for every state, but I still would have pulled the trigger.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Just got back from Jason's viewing party, which was really great (especially with the Tigers game running simultaneously!). Jason was a math major, I believe, and is well versed in wagering strategy, so I wasn't surprised to see him wager smartly on both the DD and FJ. He's a great guy, and it was a heck of a lot of fun to welcome him into the club tonight! Retroactive good luck tomorrow, Jason :D