Friday, October 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6690, 2013-10-18

CONTESTANTS
Samantha Nataro, a student and writer from Laurel, Maryland
Nolan Martch, a construction foreman from Homewood, Illinois
Stuart Anderson, a JAG originally from New Orleans, Louisiana (whose 3-day cash winnings total $51,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Hey, John. Thank you, everyone. Today's the last day to vote for your favorite "Jeopardy!" champion from the last 10 years. We're looking forward to our Tournament of the Decades, believe me.
Nolan and Samantha, welcome aboard. Good luck to you against a very good champion in Stuart.
Here we go into the Jeopardy! round. First round of play today has these categories featured.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HERE COMES 30! (5/5) (Alex: In honor of our 30th year on the air ... )
A NOVEL HAIKU (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FASHIONABLE COMMON BONDS (5/5)
M IN THE MIDDLE (4/5) (Alex: You'll find [*] in the exact middle of each correct response.)
AMERICAN IDOL ALUMNI (1/2)
AROUND THE WORLD WITH MAGELLAN'S CREW (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Samantha: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Stuart: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Nolan: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Samantha found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Stuart had $2,400, Nolan had $400, and Samantha had nothing in the bank. Samantha wagered $1,000.

A NOVEL HAIKU $800: Well! Oh, Rochester! /
What's that up in the attic? /
It's insane up there!

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Samantha: $3,000
Stuart: $3,000
Nolan: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Samantha Nataro is a student and writer from Maryland.
[ Alex and Samantha converse in Russian ]
Alex: So you've been studying Russian for how long now?
Samantha: Well, I took it for about 5, 6 years, and then I've been trying to keep up with it on my own, which is kind of difficult. I do speak it on and off, and I'm currently reading Game of Thrones in russian, so...
Alex: Reading Game of Thrones in Russian?
Samantha: Yeah.
Alex: Wow. With a view to doing what? Why did you learn the language?
Samantha: Well, I had originally actually wanted to be a translator of literature, but that didn't really happen, but I still really want to eventually, hopefully become fluent in the language and go to Russia one day.
Alex: Okay.

Alex: Nolan Martch, bad news for you. You misspoke a few moments ago. You said "knockingbird" instead of "mockingbird," so we have to change your score by $800. But tell me about the work you do with foreclosed and distressed housing.
Nolan: Sure. Me and my company, we buy foreclosed, distressed homes and pretty much gut them and turn them into livable homes for...
Alex: Are we talking about low-income housing, or it could be mansions?
Nolan: Mostly low-income housing, but if the market turns around, maybe mansions.
Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Stuart Anderson is our champion, and we mention every day when you're introduced that you're originally from New Orleans, and you did a lot of pro bono work In New Orleans after Katrina, I understand, helping to restore homes that were damaged.
Stuart: It wasn't exactly pro bono. We started working for a friend of mine's family. We were just doing their houses. I was actually getting paid. This was my job for a year, just doing demolition in the beginning, and then once we had cleaned out the old houses, we started fixing them up again.
Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A NOVEL HAIKU $400: The finches fly free /
A sweet home, Alabama /
Jem of a novel
(Nolan: "What is "To Kill A Knockingbird?")

[Nolan's response was initially accepted, but reversed after the first commercial break]

AROUND THE WORLD WITH MAGELLAN'S CREW $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew points to a map)

After reaching South American waters, Magellan spent the winter of 1520 in Puerto San Julián, today
in this southern region.
(Stuart: What is Argentina?)

(Nolan: What is Tierra del Fuego?)

M IN THE MIDDLE $1000: 11-letter word for a formal dinner at which a person's virtues are spoken of

AMERICAN IDOL ALUMNI $600: Constantine Maroulis originated the role of aspiring rocker Drew on Broadway in this musical

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Samantha: $6,400
Stuart: $4,400
Nolan: $200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CIVIL WAR PEOPLE (4/5)
GEMS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BEST ACTOR OSCAR WINNERS (0/2)
U.S. LAKES & RIVERS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE (5/5)
ANEMONES CLOSER (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nolan: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Samantha: 5 R, 1 W
Stuart: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nolan snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Stuart had $4,400, Nolan had $1,400, and Samantha was at $6,400. Nolan wagered $2,000.

U.S. LAKES & RIVERS $1200: 1,240 miles long & rich in hydro power, it's the largest river by volume that flows from the U.S. into the Pacific Ocean
(Nolan: What is the Snake River?)
(Alex: No, you had to go further north & west. [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Nolan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 7th clue. Stuart had $4,000, Nolan had $1,400, and Samantha was at $6,400. Nolan wagered $1,000.

GEMS $800: In Taoism, Yudi is known as this green gemstone Emperor & is often depicted holding a tablet of it

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
U.S. LAKES & RIVERS $2000: Near Greenwood, Mississippi the Yalobusha River flows into this one even later in the alphabet
(Alex: Flows into [*].)

GEMS $2000: Princess Diana's engagement ring was this gem surrounded by 14 diamonds in a cluster setting
(Nolan: What is an emerald?)

ANEMONES CLOSER $1600: This type of sea anemone has a hollow stalklike structure for which it is named
(Alex: Hence it is called [*].)

CIVIL WAR PEOPLE $1600: After the War, this Union general known for his whiskers was elected Governor of Rhode Island 3 times
(Stuart: Who is Burnsides?)
(Alex: Correct response--who is [*]--no "S" on the end.)

BEST ACTOR OSCAR WINNERS $2000: 1985:
"Kiss Of
The Spider Woman"
(Samantha: Who is Sonia Braga?)
(Alex: Oscar winner was [*].)

BEST ACTOR OSCAR WINNERS $1600: 1977:
"The Goodbye Girl"
(Alex: That was [*].)
[end-of-round signal sounds]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Samantha: $9,600
Stuart: $7,600
Nolan: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CARS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place; prisoner's dilemma between the two 2nd place contestants.
Samantha: Wager $5,601 to cover Stuart and Nolan.
Stuart: You have only two rational options. Either wager $0 if you think the clue will be a Triple Stumper or all $7,600 if you think you will get the clue right.
Nolan: Your score is the same as Stuart's and your wagering suggestion is the same as well. It's all or nothing.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Introduced as a 2-seater & later celebrated in song, it was Motor Trend's Car Of The Year for 1958, 1987, 1989 & 2002

FINAL SCORES
Nolan: $7,600 - $5,600 = $2,000 (What is Miata) (New champion: $2,000)
Stuart: $7,600 - $7,600 = $0 (What is Impala) (3rd place: $1,000)
Samantha: $9,600 - $7,601 = $1,999 (What is a Corvette?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [revealing Stuart's response] The Chevy Impala is incorrect.
She had fun, fun, fun 'til her daddy took [*] away.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Samantha: $9,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Nolan: $9,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Stuart: $7,600, 13 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $26,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Samantha: 16/59 = .271
Nolan: 14/60 = .233
Stuart: 13/58 = .224
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HERE COMES 30! $600: According to the constitution, 30 is the minimum age to serve in this congressional body
(Samantha: What is the House of Representatives?)

M IN THE MIDDLE $800: A think Louisiana seafood soup, y'all
(Alex: You beat him to it!)

FASHIONABLE COMMON BONDS $600: Mandarin, Peter Pan, funnel
(Stuart: What is cake?)
(Alex: Yes, we're talking about fashion, here.)

AROUND THE WORLD WITH MAGELLAN'S CREW $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew points to a map)

Magellan left Spain on September 20, 1519. Just one week later, he received a letter telling him of a mutinous plot while getting provisions in these islands.

AROUND THE WORLD WITH MAGELLAN'S CREW $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew points to a map)

The waterway that took the fleet into the Pacific is now named for Magellan, but because he was there on November 1, 1520, Magellan called it Todos los Santos,
meaning this strait.

AROUND THE WORLD WITH MAGELLAN'S CREW $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew points to a map)

Though Magellan gets the credit for the first around-the-world journey, he was killed midway through the voyage on the island of Mactan in what is now this republic.
(Samantha: What is Micronesia?)

U.S. LAKES & RIVERS $400: We'll think you're just Great when you name this body of water

GEMS $400: This gem found in a shell is a symbol of the moon & of femininity
(Stuart: What is mother of pearl?)
(Alex: [*], only. Yeah.)

GEMS $1200: Australia produces some of the finest examples of these gems

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jane Eyre
To Kill A Mockingbird
Patagonia
testimonial
Rock of Ages
the Columbia River
Jade
the Yazoo River
a blue sapphire
the tube anemone
(Ambrose) Burnside
William Hurt
Richard Dreyfus
the T-Bird
the Senate
gumbo
collars
the Canary Islands
the Strait of All Saints
the Philippines
Lake Huron
a pearl
opals

KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Stuart Anderson's three-day total would currently put him in the alternate position for the next Tournament of champions. He played well, but I'm not sure even a win today would have been enough, ultimately, to make the ToC field. He probably would have needed a fifth win to qualify.

Another aside: Stuart Anderson's total winnings (minus the $1,000 for finishing in third place today) is identical to Grace Veach's five-day total from season thirteen, $51,601.

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Cars
Introduced as a 2-seater & later celebrated in song, it was Motor Trend's Car of the Year for 1958, 1987, 1989 & 2002.

Spoiler
What is the T-Bird? Stuart said Miata; Nolan said Impala; Samantha said Corvette.

Samantha Nataro: $9,600-$7,601=$1,999
Stuart Anderson: $7,600-$7,600=$0
Nolan Martch: $7,600-$5,600=$2,000...now a 1-day champion with $2,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote:Stuart Anderson's three-day total would currently put him in the alternate position for the next Tournament of champions. He played well, but I'm not sure even a win today would have been enough, ultimately, to make the ToC field. He probably would have needed a fifth win to qualify.

Another aside: Stuart Anderson's total winnings (minus the $1,000 for finishing in third place today) is identical to Grace Veach's five-day total from season thirteen, $51,601.
If he'd gotten FJ right, he'd have been in ninth place, but the lowest four time champ. But we don't know how many more college or teacher tournies we'll have before the next TOC, so I agree he'd have been a long shot if he won today and lost Monday.

I'm glad his adding the s to Burnside's name didn't wind up costing him the win or else we'd have to see another you tube video from Australia. He'd have had the lead going into FJ, but likely would have made the MSB and finished with $2,399. But who knows how the others would have bet.

I don't know a lot about cars, but Thunderbird was the first one that came to mind and went with it. I pondered the Corvette (not sure when it was introduced) and was worried when her question was revealed, but breathed a sigh of relief when Alex said it was wrong.

The wagering was interesting to say the least.

Stuart goes all in, which is what he should do in a tie game.

Nolan only bets $5,600, leaving him with $2,000. If you don't know much about the subject and want to hope for a TS, not going all in isn't a bad idea. But Samantha had $9,600. Her MSB was $5,601, making her MSBIW score $3,999. So a good bet for Nolan, if he isn't going all in, would have been $3,600, leaving him with $4,000.

But they both bet an extra $2,000, giving him a one dollar win anyway.

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Sucky final, IMO. I thought "later celebrated in song" meant after 2002. I was trying to come up with recent hits.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Whew--saved from my first-ever 0fer week. Started thinking about the Corvette, but was sure the T-bird was right once it occurred to me, and am fortunate that the nickname doesn't take long to write.

As usual, the caption that said "knockingbird" told me that the ruling was going to be changed after the break. Also, one of the coordinators apparently talked to Samantha before DJ about the excruciating way she had been calling categories. I'm glad she fixed that, because I generally liked her but it was really getting on my nerves.

Stuart was caught by the correcting Alex jinx. I enjoyed watching him play. I'll be interested to see how Nolan does next week.

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Category: Novel Haiku
The finches fly free
A Sweet Home Alabama
Jem of a novel

Whew, glad they caught that he said "What is 'To Kill a (K)nockingbird'?" His lips clearly didn't touch (which is what I'm sure the judges reviewed). I would have expected Alex to get it the first time, but I'll bet some stuff is hard to catch in real-time.

You caught Samantha calling them better? Hunh, before the 2nd commercial break she was still drawing them way out...

Jeffrey

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Rough boards. 10.5 and 11.5. (I put .5 because I said All Saints Strait and I might have said quincenera wrong.) Redeemed myself by getting final at least.

Interesting win for Nolan, haven't seen a wagering session work quite that way in awhile.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That's 15 games in a row that we haven't gotten to 60 clues. Maybe this'll finally get them to increase their efforts in hammering "pick the clues QUICKLY" into contestants' heads. Samantha had a really bad case of "Uh… I will take the entire full category every single time for X dollars, please" syndrome that dragged the game down.

====

Missed only $1000 in Thirty and M in the Middle. NHO "testimonial dinner".

If those were the two Idol clues that were revealed, I dread what the other three would be.

I was in the Northwest on the Lakes/Rivers DD, but was thinking "wait, are there even any notable rivers up there? I can't think of any." Not even him negging with "Snake" triggered anything.

What was supposed to lead you to jade over emerald on the Gems DD?

And they really expect us to know what was in Lady Di's ring? That seems insanely trivial.

Godfather = representative at baptism? I thought they were just called "sponsors".

====

Gah. Introduced in a song. Around a long time. This is probably blatantly obvious, but I can't think of anything. Long-lived car had me thinking Corvette, but I couldn't think of any Corvette songs. I couldn't think of anything even remotely close to right, so I just spent the entire 30 seconds doodling on the fourth podium's monitor.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Got to FJ! within a few seconds. Couldn't think of any other older car that was sung about.

Why must people be afraid of pop culture categories?

UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
What was supposed to lead you to jade over emerald on the Gems DD?
More or less, the presence of Asia in the clue (I believe they mentioned China specifically). Jade is much more frequently associated with Asia than anywhere else in the world, as I recall.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Liiiiiiiiiiiitle Red Corvette!

Crappy episode, crappy FJ, and please can someone rebound with Burnside?

Even the anecdotes were horrible.

soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Anybody else have a problem with the clue with the response of "vig"? I knew what they were going for, but it said that it's what you pay to your bookie when you lose a bet. A losing bet does technically contribute to the vig because the bettor has to bet at worse than true odds, but the winner is the one who actually pays it. If you're in debt to a bookie, it's probably more because of the amount you lost in the bet, not in the vig.

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Gah. Introduced in a song. Around a long time. This is probably blatantly obvious, but I can't think of anything. Long-lived car had me thinking Corvette, but I couldn't think of any Corvette songs. I couldn't think of anything even remotely close to right, so I just spent the entire 30 seconds doodling on the fourth podium's monitor.
FJ: Cars
INTRODUCED AS A 2-SEATER AND LATER CELEBRATED IN SONG, IT WAS MOTOR TREND'S CAR OF THE YEAR FOR 1958, [ETA 1987, ]1989 & 2002
Answer:
Spoiler
'...and she'll have fun, fun, fun 'til Daddy takes the' T-BIRD
My first song-related instinct was Deuce Coupe, but I didn't know enough about cars to know whether those matched. But my way-off year (and right-on band) was at least more plausible than MIATA or IMPALA (face-palms).
Spoiler
So Nolan scores the upset
- I'll bet if Keith the Vermonter was in the gym he had to be restrained from seeing the strategic bettor win there (or was it just me who was pumping my fist and screaming about how David slew the mental Goliaths?)
Jeffrey
Last edited by El Jefe on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:

Gah. Introduced in a song. Around a long time. This is probably blatantly obvious, but I can't think of anything. Long-lived car had me thinking Corvette, but I couldn't think of any Corvette songs. I couldn't think of anything even remotely close to right, so I just spent the entire 30 seconds doodling on the fourth podium's monitor.
So you didn't even doodle down Corvette?

soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Godfather = representative at baptism? I thought they were just called "sponsors".
Sponsors are for confirmation. Godfather is baptism.
Austin Powers wrote:Liiiiiiiiiiiitle Red Corvette!

Crappy episode, crappy FJ, and please can someone rebound with Burnside?

Even the anecdotes were horrible.
I saw nothing wrong with the FJ. Could get it a couple ways, either by starting with songs about cars, or thinking of a classic car that was reintroduced in 2002.

I'm pretty sure there was an edit on Burnside. I bet Alex initially ruled it correct, than was quickly overruled, which was why there was no rebound possible. Haven't rewatched it, though, so I could be mistaken.

I'll agree with the anecdotes. Despite what Alex thinks, I'm not so sure buying up foreclosed and underwater houses and flipping them for a profit is really that noble of an endeavor (it's a business like any other, but not exactly charity). Then he follows it up with another "pro-bono" job that turned out to also not be pro-bono.

EDIT: Now that the actual wording of the FJ is posted, I realize it didn't actually say anything about it being reintroduced in 2002, just that it won car of the year that year. Still the 2002 part made me confident of my initial thought of T-Bird.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

soxfan99 wrote:Anybody else have a problem with the clue with the response of "vig"? I knew what they were going for, but it said that it's what you pay to your bookie when you lose a bet. A losing bet does technically contribute to the vig because the bettor has to bet at worse than true odds, but the winner is the one who actually pays it. If you're in debt to a bookie, it's probably more because of the amount you lost in the bet, not in the vig.
Right, the loser just loses. He's paying a vig because that's how lines work but its the winner who gets less than the culminative amount bet. By the way I can't see why "the take" isn't right. Btw it's not clear to me what the question really had to do with the category.

The really bad question was tube anemone.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The Corvette is celebrated in song, goes back to the Fifties, and won Motor Trend Car of the Year as recently as 1998. Seems picayune to me.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think Alex thought Nolan was doing some kind of Habitat for Humanity project when really all he's doing is flipping foreclosed houses. Nothing wrong with that, just not what Alex thought was going on. I guess he had that in his mind when he went to Stuart. I thought he was going to talk about doing some legal work for the Katrina people when he was just doing the same thing Nolan was doing. Not a good chat segment for Alex. I hate it when he screws up the contestant stories.

An attractive woman who speaks Russian, I guess we know who Vanya was cheering for.

I don't think there was an edit after Burnsides.