Friday, October 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Friday, October 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by StevenH »

This was another poorly written board (especially the DJ round and FJ), but I didn't think that it was that hard. I am willing to give Stuart the benefit of the doubt and say that his poor play was caused by fatigue. Stuart was no Jennings, Rutter, or Roger Craig, but I thought that he did play very well in his first 3 games.

Nolan should have wagered a lot more on the "Jade" DD that was valued at $800. Nolan's FJ wager was risky and probably not what I would have done if I had been in his position, but it's hard to argue with it when it ended up working out.

I guessed "corvette" on FJ, since "Little Red Corvette" came to mind immediately.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: And they really expect us to know what was in Lady Di's ring? That seems insanely trivial.
Given that Prince William gave it to the now-former Kate MIddleton as her engagement ring, and the British press made a VERY big deal of it, no, it's really not.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I got the Thunderbird because the clue said it was originally a two-seater, meaning it now has a back seat. I think a Corvette has always been a two-seater.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I had fun fun fun saving my +50% week on another best-guess FJ answer. I liked T-Bird for the first year mentioned/ song part of the clue, but was far less satisfied with it fitting the rest. I really had no idea it still got such recognition.
Bamaman wrote:An attractive woman who speaks Russian, I guess we know who Vanya was cheering for.
I doubt Vanya even watched the episode; he was probably on his way to her hometown before her introduction was completed.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Austin Powers wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:Anybody else have a problem with the clue with the response of "vig"? I knew what they were going for, but it said that it's what you pay to your bookie when you lose a bet. A losing bet does technically contribute to the vig because the bettor has to bet at worse than true odds, but the winner is the one who actually pays it. If you're in debt to a bookie, it's probably more because of the amount you lost in the bet, not in the vig.
Right, the loser just loses. He's paying a vig because that's how lines work but its the winner who gets less than the culminative amount bet. By the way I can't see why "the take" isn't right. Btw it's not clear to me what the question really had to do with the category.
CATEGORY: FRIENDS

A: EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE A BOOKIE, LET PALS SLIDE ON THIS, THE PERCENTAGE THEY OWE YOU WHEN THEY LOSE A BET

This answer *is* awkwardly phrased, but it is still clear what they are looking for. And yes, belonging in the FRIENDS category is a stretch. How about this: FRIENDS DON'T MAKE FRIENDS PAY THIS, THE REGULAR INTEREST ON A LOAN OR BET.

Jeffrey
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Why? Why? Why?

Post by Vermonter »

Well, at least I have the weekend to recover.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Why? Why? Why?

Post by silverscreentest »

Vermonter wrote:Image

Well, at least I have the weekend to recover.
Don't blink.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you make 100 bets of $100 each and win exactly half of them, you'll owe your bookie $500 thanks to the vig. You'd have to win 53 of the 100 bets to turn a profit. So it can put a significant dent into your bankroll if you only hit half of your picks.

Actually, when I bet (long time ago), it was always called juice or sugar. I've never heard of anyone actually call it the vig or vigorish except when reading newspaper articles or books about gambling.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If Nolan had gone in the full $2,000 on that second DD, I bet he and Samantha would have tied. If Stuart knows how to wager from third, he probably wishes that Nolan had done that.

I went for the wrong Beach Boys song with "Little Deuce Coupe"; "2-seater" and "Deuce" was too strong a false link for me to consider anything else.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I wrote Samantha off from the get-go with the HofR for age 30 instead of the Senate. Definitely she got a speech about her clue calling, but it seemed like between rounds was when it hit home and not between the first two segments. She started another long call in the DJ! round and caught herself to make it just about as long as all the others.

It looked like a possible edit on the Burnsides? Perhaps Alex gave away Burnside and that is why there was no rebound on the gimme? The clue was worth $1600, so if Stuart gets it right that is +$3200. He lost by $2000, so that error cost him the game. [Kidding. Kidding.]

The players leaving 6 clues between American Idol and Best Actor Oscar Winners worth $4000 was Coryat robbery on my scoresheet. I was rooting for Nolan to win since Stuart or Samantha seemed like they could have repeat possible skills and Nolan played like he would be a one-and-done. He's welcome to prove me wrong on Monday. Players leaving so much pop culture/entertainment irks me a lot.

Unless Cars was about something Pixar I was in trouble. Finally it's not geography on a Friday and it's Cars? Naturally. What's next Friday? Shakespeare?

I looked at the clue and though perhaps something Beach Boys. I wrote Deuce Coupe. It didn't feel right and I kept thinking. Corvette? Maybe. I blanked on a song title even though I have lots of Prince music, so I moved on. Mustang for being around for many years and still around was the last thing I wrote. The song connection I made was "Mustang Sally."

T-Bird it is. Okay. I should have stayed with the Beach Boys instinct. 0/2 on the music ones this week with not wanting to give anything else away about the other one in the Friday thread.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:That's 15 games in a row that we haven't gotten to 60 clues. Maybe this'll finally get them to increase their efforts in hammering "pick the clues QUICKLY" into contestants' heads. Samantha had a really bad case of "Uh… I will take the entire full category every single time for X dollars, please" syndrome that dragged the game down.
What, you want to miss more clues?...
Austin Powers wrote:Liiiiiiiiiiiitle Red Corvette!

Crappy episode, crappy FJ, and please can someone rebound with Burnside?

Even the anecdotes were horrible.
Yeah, that's where I went. Corvette's been around long enough too, and I figured 'in song' was a titular reference. (That...and TBird was nowhere close to mind.)

I am precalling Jalopnik picking this up and someone making the comment (if the post isn't already titled this) "Guess the answer ISN'T always Miata."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

El Jefe wrote: INTRODUCED AS A 2-SEATER AND LATER CELEBRATED IN SONG, IT WAS MOTOR TREND'S CAR OF THE YEAR FOR 1958, 1989 & 2002
Years should be '1958, 1987, 1989 & 2002' by the way.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I had a 1987 Thunderbird, and I didn't get this FJ!.
RealAlecBaldwin

Post by RealAlecBaldwin »

another vote here for prince. i ran through the whole 'little deuce coupe' album in my head, but convinced myself that the song in question would at least reference the car in the title, and moved on to the vette.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:An attractive woman who speaks Russian, I guess we know who Vanya was cheering for.
:)

What did Alex say to the contestant? (I've seen enough of this "contestant speaking in a foreign language" on the show to know that the closed captioning most likely said "[Alex speaks in Russian]"). Google Translate tells me it wasn't my guess of "Do you speak Russian?"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:It looked like a possible edit on the Burnsides? Perhaps Alex gave away Burnside and that is why there was no rebound on the gimme?
There was definitely a jump-cut there, so that's a possible explanation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Asking for the full name of the Magellan category sure slowed things down.

Anybody besides me know the Yazoo River?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Anybody besides me know the Yazoo River?
I know of it because of its Civil War significance, but I wasn't going to come up with it on a clue like that.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I got Yazoo, but only because of the alphabetics. Knew of the river beforehand, but nothing much about it. Got T-Bird because of the '57 T-Bird's iconic status and the '58 car of the year detail. FJ. Math. Unlimited isn't enough time, I guess. All three contestants spent time shooting toes off. Those were big islands on that map for MICROnesia. nockingbird? I heard it, but couldn't quite believe my ears until the reversal. Cringed at the s in Burnsides. I think it's a bad thing to lowball a DD because you missed one earlier. You've got a chance to make it up; take it. The guy won anyway, but it was a gift, and this level of play won't keep him another day.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Bamaman wrote:Asking for the full name of the Magellan category sure slowed things down.

Anybody besides me know the Yazoo River?
I got it at the last second. I know it from a story called, I believe, The Greenwood Boys, by someone important whom I have forgotten. It was in our 8th grade reading book. It talks about Yazoo City and I think also mentions the river. Don't remember a thing about it besides it was in the south, and Greenwood and Yazoo but hey it's been a long time since 8th grade.