The Jeopardy! Contestant Library Catalog

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Re: The Jeopardy! Contestant Library Catalog

Post by bengland »

John Podhoretz.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Thanks, bengland. Much appreciated.

Rex
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Bamaman wrote:
But they don't have any of Brendan's books, however.
Bummer.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
BADuBois

Post by BADuBois »

thethunderchild wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Don't forget "My Short, Happy Life on Jeopardy!"
Hi, all.

New to the forums.

I just finished reading My Short, Happy Life on Jeopardy. That's how I found these forums. Happy to be here.
Glad it got you here! Welcome!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

As I explained in the second post in this thread, I had the idea to create this list of J! authors after I unexpectedly caught Doug Dorst's name on the spine of a book in the Huntington Beach Library (one of the most comfortable and attractive libraries I know, by the way). I thought it was almost a kind of fate that I happened to glance in the right direction and see the name of a contestant I had actually met.

Today I was in the same library, walking through the stacks, and I noticed one particularly flamboyant book -- just from the spine, I could tell it was one of those post-DaVinci Code Dan Brown clones, with a dash of Crichton and Clancy tossed in. The title -- The Vault -- was particularly clunky and unrevealing, and maybe that is what nudged me to take the volume down from the shelf to read the book flaps. Thus I was introduced to Boyd Morrison, who in 2003 "fulfilled a lifelong dream and became a Jeopardy! champion."

Either J! players make up an unusually high percentage of authors in the library, or I have some uncanny but useless version of J!dar.

Rex
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Or perhaps the library has a Jeopardy authors section. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
BADuBois

Post by BADuBois »

Rex Kramer wrote:As I explained in the second post in this thread, I had the idea to create this list of J! authors after I unexpectedly caught Doug Dorst's name on the spine of a book in the Huntington Beach Library (one of the most comfortable and attractive libraries I know, by the way). I thought it was almost a kind of fate that I happened to glance in the right direction and see the name of a contestant I had actually met.

Today I was in the same library, walking through the stacks, and I noticed one particularly flamboyant book -- just from the spine, I could tell it was one of those post-DaVinci Code Dan Brown clones, with a dash of Crichton and Clancy tossed in. The title -- The Vault -- was particularly clunky and unrevealing, and maybe that is what nudged me to take the volume down from the shelf to read the book flaps. Thus I was introduced to Boyd Morrison, who in 2003 "fulfilled a lifelong dream and became a Jeopardy! champion."

Either J! players make up an unusually high percentage of authors in the library, or I have some uncanny but useless version of J!dar.

Rex
As chances would have it, I was invited to a dinner last September at the annual convention of mystery writers, fans, agents and editors, called Bouchercon, which was held that year in Albany, NY. There were about 14 or so of us at dinner at a restaurant near the convention hotel, and about an hour into the dinner, mention was made of "Jeopardy!", and who was sitting across from me? Boyd Morrison.

Life sure is strange, ain't it.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Many thanks, by the way, are due to Mathew5000 for pointing out three new additions to the catalog: Boze Hadleigh, Paul Horwitz, and, surprisingly (only because I would have guessed that this would have come up sooner), Karl Coryat.

Rex
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Perhaps you'll be able to mention me some day. I'm writing a guide to accumulating wealth. It's called "I Upped My Income. Up Yours."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'll try again for Stephen King ;)

Joyland

For the King time machine - June 2014: Mr. Mercedes and November 2014: Revival

There are many books written by the hundreds of celebrities who have played. Here are a few:

Lauren Graham: Someday, Someday, Maybe

Carol Burnett: This Time Together

Regis Philbin: How I Got This Way
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken Jennings: Ken Jennings' Junior Genius Guides: Maps and Geography

Ken Jennings: Ken Jennings' Junior Genius Guides: Greek Mythology

U.S. Presidents will be released in May.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

October 21, 2013:
John Boy wrote:Don't forget my soon-to-be-released book about finances and wealth building. It's called "I Upped My Income. Up Yours!"
February 11, 2014:
John Boy wrote:Perhaps you'll be able to mention me some day. I'm writing a guide to accumulating wealth. It's called "I Upped My Income. Up Yours."
I promise, John Boy, as soon as it comes out, it will be on the list. :)

Rex
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

If I have a book that's in the Library of Congress's collection (and two other places, one of which is my house), should I mention it? Or is that not the kind of more mainstream authoring you're looking for here. (To be fair, mine has lots of pictures...)
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Still don't see Tom Baker on the list.
Tokyo Chic and the Sushi Lover's Cookbook.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Dr. J wrote:If I have a book that's in the Library of Congress's collection (and two other places, one of which is my house), should I mention it? Or is that not the kind of more mainstream authoring you're looking for here. (To be fair, mine has lots of pictures...)
Dr. J, that counts as publication, and you count as Jeopardy! contestant, so please, mention away.

What's the second other place?

Rex
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Ronald Alan Lindsay, author of Future Bioethics: Overcoming Taboos, Myths, and Dogmas, had an article in Philosophy Now ten years ago, about appearing on Jeopardy! in Season 11. (His games are not in the Archive.)
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Dr. J wrote:If I have a book that's in the Library of Congress's collection (and two other places, one of which is my house), should I mention it? Or is that not the kind of more mainstream authoring you're looking for here. (To be fair, mine has lots of pictures...)
Dr. J, that counts as publication, and you count as Jeopardy! contestant, so please, mention away.

What's the second other place?

Rex
My book is called No Victory without Work : A Pictorial History of Adrian College. It's in U of M library and Adrian's library, and also my mom's coffee table. :)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Dr. J wrote:My book is called No Victory without Work : A Pictorial History of Adrian College. It's in U of M library and Adrian's library, and also my mom's coffee table. :)
Go Terps! :lol: Now it's in our library.

Rex
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Dr. J wrote:My book is called No Victory without Work : A Pictorial History of Adrian College. It's in U of M library and Adrian's library, and also my mom's coffee table. :)

Rex
Not THAT U of M; University of Michigan :) Go Blue!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Dr. J wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
Not THAT U of M; University of Michigan :) Go Blue!
Heh heh heh . . . I figured; I just never miss an opportunity to tease a Michigander.

Rex