The Jeopardy! Contestant Library Catalog

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

The Jeopardy! Contestant Library Catalog

Post by Rex Kramer »

A running list of published authors who have appeared on Jeopardy! and representative works:
  • Bagawan, Hinayana: Trivia for Smarties
  • Baggarly, Andy: A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants
  • Baker, Tom: Tokyo Chic, The Sushi Lover's Cookbook (with Yumi Umemura)
  • Beraru, Elise Dee: Remember My Love, The Hero's Best Friend, The Hungry Heart, The Princess and the Promise, Last Wishes (as Alyssa Lyons), Clubbed to Death (as Alyssa Lyons)
  • Bernhardt, William: Primary Justice, Cruel Justice, Blind Justice, Capitol Murder, Capitol Offense
  • Burnett, Carol: This Time Together
  • Burr, Elissa: Between Heaven and Helen, Are They Speaking Martian?, Booker the Bald Cat
  • Chan, Gillian: Golden Girl, Glory Days, The Carved Box, A Foreign Field, An Ocean Apart, The Turning, A Call to Battle
  • Clancy, Tom: The Hunt for Red October, Red Storm Rising, Patriot Games, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Clear and Present Danger, The Sum of All Fears, Without Remorse, Debt of Honor, Executive Orders, SSN: Strategies for Submarine Warfare, Rainbow Six, The Bear and the Dragon, Red Rabbit, The Teeth of the Tiger, and more
  • Cohen, Jared: How I Got on Jeopardy! . . . and Won!
  • Cortes, Fidelito: Waiting for the Exterminator
  • Coryat, Karl: The Frustrated Songwriter's Handbook: A Radical Guide to Cutting Loose, Overcoming Blocks, and Writing the Best Songs of Your Life (with Nicholas Dobson), Guerilla Home Recording: How to Get Great Sound from Any Studio
  • Dorst, Doug: Alive in Necropolis, The Surf Guru, S. (with J.J. Abrams)
  • DuBois, Brendan: Dead Sand, The Shattered Shell, Resurrection Day, Twilight, Killer Waves, Six Days, Black Tide, Buried Dreams, Betrayed, Deadly Cove, My Short, Happy Life on Jeopardy!, Fatal Harbor
  • Dupee, Michael: How to Get on Jeopardy! and Win!
  • Edwards, Gavin: 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy and Other Misheard Lyrics (illustrated by Chris Kalb), He's Got the Whole World in His Pants (illustrated by Seth), When a Man Loves a Walnut, Deck the Halls with Buddy Holly and Other Misheard Christmas Lyrics, Is Tiny Dancer Really Elton's Little John?, Last Night at the Viper Room
  • Forrest, Chuck: Secrets of the Jeopardy! Champions (with Mark Lowenthal)
  • Fuller, Gary: The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Graham, Lauren: Someday, Someday, Maybe
  • Hadleigh, Boze: Conversations with My Elders, The Vinyl Closet, Hollywood Lesbians, Hollywood Babble On, Bette Davis Speaks, Sing Out!, Celluloid Gaze, Mexico's Most Wanted, The Lavender Screen, Broadway Babylon, Celebrity Feuds, Hollywood Gays
  • Harris, Bob: Prisoner of Trebekistan, Who Hates Whom, The International Bank of Bob
  • Horwitz, Paul: The Agnostic Age, First Amendment Institutions
  • Jass, Stephanie: No Victory without Work : A Pictorial History of Adrian College
  • Jennings, Ken: Brainiac, Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac, Maphead, Because I Said So!, Ken Jennings' Junior Genius Guides: Maps and Geography, Ken Jennings' Junior Genius Guides: Greek Mythology
  • King, Stephen: Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, Rage (as Richard Bachman), Night Shift, The Stand, The Long Walk (as Richard Bachman), The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Road Work (as Richard Bachman), Danse Macabre, Cujo, Different Seasons, The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, The Running Man (as Richard Bachman), Pet Sematary, Christine, The Talisman (with Peter Straub), The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three, The Eyes of the Dragon, Thinner (as Richard Bachman), Skeleton Crew, Cycle of the Werewolf, It, Misery, The Tommyknockers, The Dark Half, Four Past Midnight, The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands, Needful Things, Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Insomnia, Rose Madder, Desperation, The Regulators (as Richard Bachman), The Green Mile, The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass, Bag of Bones, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Hearts in Atlantis, The Plant (in progress), On Writing, Dreamcatcher, Black House (with Peter Straub), From a Buick 8, Everything's Eventual, Dark Tower: The Wolves of the Calla, Faithful (with Stewart O'Nan), The Dark Tower: The Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower, The Colorado Kid, Cell, Lisey's Story, Blaze (as Richard Bachman), Duma Key, Just After Sunset, Under the Dome, Full Dark, No Stars, The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole, Doctor Sleep, Joyland, Mr. Mercedes
  • Lechner, Jack: Can't Take My Eyes Off of You
  • Lindsay, Ronald Alan: Future Bioethics: Overcoming Taboos, Myths, and Dogmas
  • Loeffler, Paul: Underdogs to Wonderdogs: Fresno State's Road to Omaha and the College World Series Championship
  • Lowenthal, Mark: Secrets of the Jeopardy! Champions (with Chuck Forrest), Intelligence: From Secrets to Policy, The Great God Pan
  • Lunde, Arne: Nordic Exposures: Scandinavian Identities in Classical Hollywood Cinema
  • McDermott, Mark: The Guide to United States Popular Culture (articles on Steve Dahl, Dr. Demento, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Marvel Comics, Ren & Stimpy, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Scooby-Doo, Jack Tramiel, Wolfman Jack, Steve Wozniak, Yogi Bear), The Museum of Broadcast Communications’ Encyclopedia of Television (articles on Flip Wilson, Goodman Todson, Dick Eberson, Spitting Image), In the Peanut Gallery with Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (contributor, “Hamlet Will Return in Thunderball”), James Bond in World and Popular Culture (contributor, “He Strikes Like Thun-n-n-nder-r-r-r-BALL-L-L-L-L-L!”), Captain America and the Struggle of the Superhero (contributor, “The Invaders and the All-Star Squadron”, “History of the Marvel Zombies and Colonel America Among the Marvel Zombies”), Finding the Force of the Star Wars Franchise (contributor, “The Menace of Fans to the Franchise”)
  • Morrison, Boyd: Rogue Wave, The Ark, The Vault, The Midas Code, The Catalyst, The Tsunami Countdown, The Roswell Conspiracy
  • Nichols, Judy: Caviar Dreams, Tree Huggers, Sportsman's Bet, Trouble and Strife
  • Nissley, Tom: A Reader's Book of Days
  • Paquet, Laura: Lord Langdon's Tutor, An Honorable Match, Mr. McAllister Sets His Cap, The Incomparable Cassandra, Miss Scott Meets Her Match, The Rakish Spy, Secret Ottawa, The Urge to Splurge: A Social History of Shopping, Wanderlust: A Social History of Travel
  • Park, Linda Sue: A Single Shard, A Long Walk to Water
  • Philbin, Regis: How I Got This Way
  • Phillips, Arthur: Prague, The Egyptologist, Angelica, The Song is You, The Tragedy of Arthur
  • Podhoretz, John: Hell of a Ride: Backstage at the White House Follies 1989-1993, Bush Country: How Dubya Became a Great President While Driving Liberals Insane, Can She Be Stopped? Hillary Clinton Will Be the Next President of the United States Unless . . .
  • Pollack, Neal: The Neal Pollack Anthology Of American Literature, Beneath The Axis Of Evil, Never Mind The Pollacks, Alternadad, Stretch, Jewball, Downward-Facing Death, Open Your Heart
  • Poneman, Daniel: Nuclear Power in the Developing World, Argentina: Democracy on Trial, Going Critical: The First North Korean Nuclear Crisis
  • Ramen, Catherine: Hermann Goring: Hitler’s Second-in-Command, The Rights of The Accused, The Right to Freedom from Searches, Epidemics: Deadly Diseases Throughout History – the Plague, AIDS, Tuberculosis, Cholera, Smallpox, Polio, Influenza, Malaria (with Holly Cefrey, Chris Hayhurst, and Tom Ridgway), Reinhard Heydrich: Hangman of the Third Reich, Albert Speer: Hitler’s Architect, Influenza, Tuberculosis,Sleeping Sickness and Other Parasitic Tropical Diseases, Jerry West, A Historical Atlas of Iran, Joe Montana, Hernan Cortes: The Conquest of Mexico and the Aztec Empire, Francisco Pizarro: The Exploration of Peru and the Conquest of the Inca, SARS, A Historical Atlas of North America Before Columbus, Albucasis (Abu Al-Qasim Al Zahwari): Renowned Muslim Surgeon of the Tenth Century, Prescription Drugs, Basketball: Rules, Tips, Strategy, and Safety, Indian Mythology, Native American Mythology (all the preceding as Fred Ramen), Understanding Your Right to Freedom from Searches (with Brian Carson), Understanding the Rights of the Accused (with Nancy Jessica Holmes)
  • Seymour, Bruce: Lola Montez: A Life
  • Sutherland, Tui: Meet Mo and Ella (with Rose Mary Berlin), Fun with Mo and Ella (with Rose Mary Berlin), This Must Be Love, So This is How It Ends (Avatars, Book 1), Shadow Falling (Avatars, Book 2), Kingdom of Twilight (Avatars, Book 3), Who Was Harry Houdini? (with John O'Brien and Nancy Harrison), Runaway Retriever (Pet Trouble #1), Wings of Fire Book One: The Dragonet Prophecy, Wings of Fire Book Two: The Lost Heir, Wings of Fire Book Three: The Hidden Kingdom, Wings of Fire Book Four: The Dark Secret, Wings of Fire Book Five: The Brightest Night, The Menagerie (with Kari H. Sutherland), The Menagerie #2: Dragon on Trial (with Kari H. Sutherland)
  • Vanderbilt, Tom: Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)
  • Warner, Sharon: Lessons, Greetings of the Season, This Moment, I Am/I Write, Lotus Petals, All the Colors That Are Black (with Eunice Favors)
Last edited by Rex Kramer on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 55 times in total.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: The Jeopardy! Contestant Library Catalog

Post by Rex Kramer »

Last week I was visiting the local library, returning some books and renewing others, and it occurred to me to check to see if I could find any books there by recent J! champion William Bernhardt. A few weeks ago, I similarly scoped out the library’s Brendan du Bois holdings. Surprisingly, there were no Bernhardt stories there (Wikipedia says he’s sold 10 million books). But totally randomly, as I turned my head, I caught a glimpse of this out of the corner of my eye:
Dorst book.JPG
Dorst book.JPG (31.18 KiB) Viewed 14009 times
I don’t remember Doug’s book being mentioned here on the Boards; I was surprised to discover it existed. It occurred to me that it would be nice to have a list of all the J! veterans who have been published authors, along with at least some of their works. So, I have created it.

But there is no way I could catch them all myself. So, if anyone has someone or some works they would like to see added to the list, please spell them out in a post, and I will cut and paste them into post #1. For the time being, I am just listing the authors in alphabetical order, followed by works in roughly chronological order, but if the list gets too unwieldy, I may have to go all Dewey Decimal on it.

Rex
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rex Kramer wrote:
  • DuBois, Brendan: Dead Sand, The Shattered Shell, Resurrection Day, Twilight, Killer Waves, Six Days, Black Tide, Buried Dreams, Betrayed, Deadly Cove
Don't forget "My Short, Happy Life on Jeopardy!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rmfromfla »

Ok, add to the list:

Jack Lechner (Season 5 4x champ) -- "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" ("1 Man, 7 Days, 12 Televisions")
(when he moved 12 TVs into his apartment & watched/took records of everything that was on for a week, including NYC Public Access)
Crown Publishers, New York, 2000 :lol:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I think that Tui Sutherland and Gillian Chan had a few published works.
Last edited by StevenH on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There was a list like this on the old Sony board if anyone has the archaeological skills to find it.

Hinayana Bawagan Trivia For Smarties: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2243

There was another woman that had written at least one well-known book, but I can't remember her name. She was not white, but I'm not recalling the nationality.

Does Tom Nissley have any books out yet? I must have seen it on Facebook I'm thinking that Wes Ulm is working on a book?
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Mark Lowenthal is the author of Intelligence: From Secrets to Policy which is used in academia quite a lot. Its 6th edition is due out soon.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Nichols, Judy Caviar Dreams
Park, Linda Sue Newbery Award-winning A Single Shard, A Long Walk to Water
Pollack, Neal Jewball, AlternaDad, The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature

Tom Nissley has a book coming out on November 4th, A Reader's Book of Days
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bruce Seymour: Lola Montez: A Life
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

linda sue park was on jeopardy?? whoa. we have a lot of her books. i knew she was a fan of the show, but didn't realize she had been a contestant. my wife's aunt met her at a bookstore signing event shortly after my run and apparently i was a subject of discussion.

there was a guy on in season 28 who wrote a book about traffic. he talked about it in his interview. tom vanderbilt, apparently. here's the thread.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think Stephen King has written a few books.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rex Kramer wrote:Last week I was visiting the local library, returning some books and renewing others, and it occurred to me to check to see if I could find any books there by recent J! champion William Bernhardt. A few weeks ago, I similarly scoped out the library’s Brendan du Bois holdings. Surprisingly, there were no Bernhardt stories there (Wikipedia says he’s sold 10 million books).

Rex
Don't know where you were, but a bit surprised they didn't have any of Bernhardt's books. My local library has most of his works at one branch or another. I've read several of them and enjoyed them.

But they don't have any of Brendan's books, however.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Andy Baggarly, season 28 - A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants
nealpollack
Contributor

Post by nealpollack »

Hey, y'all! I have written eight books: The Neal Pollack Anthology Of American Literature, Beneath The Axis Of Evil, Never Mind The Pollacks, Alternadad, Stretch, Jewball, Downward-Facing Death, and Open Your Heart. And now back to my regularly-scheduled program of self-aggrandizement!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Not quite the same, but Saul Bellow was once a contestant on "Supermarket Sweep."
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Many thanks for the suggested additions to the list! I knew I was missing some people.
Bamaman wrote:I think Stephen King has written a few books.
I had considered King and thought I should exclude him since he had been invited on to Celebrity Jeopardy! specifically for his fame as a writer. It seemed to me that was somehow different in spirit from having made it onto the show through the testing/audition process and having otherwise achieved publication. But Bamaman’s post made me reconsider. Perhaps that attitude was just a little pretentious. Besides, no doubt some of the author contestants who made it onto the show were also made more interesting to the contestant coordinators by their literary cred. Besides, I’m a huge fan of Stephen King and almost ran a category on him in my ToC. (Yet another honor denied to me by Tom Kavanaugh.) So I decided to add him to the list.

Then, as I was creating a comprehensive list of King’s major works, it occurred to me that posting that list would be a huge spoiler for WRV’s TD #166. Since submissions are due tomorrow, I’m going to hold off for a day before adding Stephen King to our library catalog. :)
Rafferty Barnes wrote:Nichols, Judy Caviar Dreams
Park, Linda Sue Newbery Award-winning A Single Shard, A Long Walk to Water
Pollack, Neal Jewball, AlternaDad, The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature

Tom Nissley has a book coming out on November 4th, A Reader's Book of Days
Thanks, Rafferty Barnes – Park and Pollack were two people I was trying to remember when creating the original list (as was Gillian Chan – thanks Stephen H). I had seen their appearances and they were tugging at the corners of my mind but I couldn’t bring them up as I quickly threw the first list together.

I also thought about Tom but (a) couldn’t recall the name of the book whose proofs he had shown in his vote-for-me video, and (b) wasn’t 100% sure that he wasn’t being facetious with that.
jpahk wrote:there was a guy on in season 28 who wrote a book about traffic. he talked about it in his interview. tom vanderbilt, apparently. here's the thread.
Another coincidence from that library visit, on top of the chance sighting of Doug Dorst’s book: one of the other books I checked out last week was Jonah Lehrer’s How We Decide, and among the five blurbs on the back cover from other authors, the longest is from “Tom Vanderbilt, author of Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)”. So as soon as I read jpahk’s “there was a guy on in season 28 who wrote a book about traffic . . .” I knew exactly who he was talking about. Thanks, Joon!

I’ve updated the list to reflect the communal recollections. Please keep those suggestions coming!

Rex
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Another one to add to the list:

2x champ from S23, Jared Cohen's e-book, "How I Got on Jeopardy!...and Actually Won!" (an April, 2012 release) :)
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

So now that this list is going... do you have specific recommendations of which books would be most beneficial to us pool-swimmers?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

lisa0012 wrote:So now that this list is going... do you have specific recommendations of which books would be most beneficial to us pool-swimmers?
For the memory suggestions, Bob Harris's Prisoner of Trebekistan was very helpful. It's funny and well-written, too.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

ElendilPickle wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:So now that this list is going... do you have specific recommendations of which books would be most beneficial to us pool-swimmers?
For the memory suggestions, Bob Harris's Prisoner of Trebekistan was very helpful. It's funny and well-written, too.
I read Prisoner of Trebekistan on the train ride to my interview, and it helped me get one of the questions on the in-person test.