Tuesday, October 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6692, 2013-10-22

CONTESTANTS
Rose Adams, an information management coordinator from Flint, Michigan
Arne Lunde, an associate professor of Scandinavian Studies from Los Angeles, California
Bill Tolany, a marketing executive from Austin, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. On Jeopardy!, it pays to go into Final Jeopardy! having the most money of the three contestants, and it also pays if you come up with the correct response. That was the case for Bill yesterday. That's why he's back here today as returning champion facing Rose and Arne. Good luck to all three. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV THROUGH THE YEARS (5/5)
A CLASH OF SYMBOLS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE ABCs OF NYC (4/5)
COURTS OF ALL SORTS (3/5)
THAT'S MY STORY (3/3)
I'M "STICK"ING TO IT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arne: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Rose: 9 R, 2 W
Bill: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Arne: $3,200
Bill: $2,200
Rose: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rose Adams is the first contestant we introduced on the program today. Some of our viewers are not aware of the fact that if you're going to be a contestant on Jeopardy! you have to pay your own way to come to Los Angeles to compete. Now, you have some really nice co-workers 'cause they helped you out.

Rose: They had several bake sales to help raise money to get me out here, and I am so grateful to them.

Alex: And they must think very highly of you because they're the ones who encouraged you to take our test and try out for the show.

Rose: Yes, they did. Yes, they did.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Arne Lunde is from Los Angeles. He teaches classes in Scandinavian film history and literature.

Arne: Yes.

Alex: So, Ingmar Bergman's got to be very prominent.

Arne: Ingmar Bergman--writing a book on Bergman now actually.

Alex: Really?

Arne: Yeah.

Alex: What was special, in your view, about him?

Arne: Uh, how prolific he was, how many great films he made over 50, 60 years, how many different kinds of films he made.

Alex: Okay. You do talk about that.

Arne: I do. Absolutely.

Alex: Okay. All right.

Alex: Bill Tolany from Austin, Texas, is our champion. Ken Jennings, who was a great champion on Jeopardy!, after he appeared on our program, created a trivia game. You have just appeared on our program, and you've already created a trivia game. Tell me about that.

Bill: I did. Well, my wife and I created it a few years ago, and the idea was--most trivia games, you have someone like Ken Jennings in the room, and it's no fun because they get all the answers. So, we tried to make something that everybody would really have a chance to play and have a chance to win.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bill found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Bill had $2,200, Arne had $3,400, and Rose was at $3,600. Bill made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

A CLASH OF SYMBOLS $1000: The eagle on the one-dollar bill grasps in its talons these seemingly antithetical items
(Alex: Bill?)
(Bill: Uh, what are...)
(Alex: Not coming is it?)
(Bill: No.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COURTS OF ALL SORTS $800: Court Street is the main drag for nightlife at Ohio University in this city
(Bill: What is Miami?)
(Arne: What is Columbus?)

COURTS OF ALL SORTS $1000: You can stay in a 1949 Airstream at the Shady Dell Vintage Trailer Court in Bisbee in this state

THE ABCs OF NYC $1000: TLC:
This commission licenses & regulates certain for-hire vehicles

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rose: $3,600
Arne: $3,600
Bill: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE (2/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SCENTS & SENSE ABILITY (5/5)
A PRINCE OF A GUY (2/2, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DOUBLE THE VOWEL (3/5)
ART (3/5)
POP CULTURE FILL-INS (3/5) (Alex: I'll have to give you an example on that. "We'll always have ____ ____ hotels." We'll always have Paris, and Hilton Hotels, okay. Paris Hilton.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bill: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Rose: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Arne: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rose snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Bill had $4,800, Arne had $3,200, and Rose was at $7,200. Rose wagered $3,000.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE $800: grolier.com says the U.S. built this "in ten years by taming a jungle, dividing a continent, and uniting two oceans"
(Rose: [Shakes head])
(Alex: Say something, Rose!)
(Rose: Uh!)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bill who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Bill had $6,000, Arne had $3,200, and Rose was at $4,200. Bill wagered $3,000.

A PRINCE OF A GUY $1600: Portuguese exploration was financed by the Order of Christ, of which he was Governor starting c. 1420

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE THE VOWEL $1200: Move with the body close to the ground, as on hands & knees, or an annoyingly repulsive person
(Arne: What is sneak?)

ART $1200: You can have dejeuner at the Musee d'Orsay after seeing this painter's 1860s work "Le dejeuner sur l'herbe" there
(Rose: What is the Louvre?)
(Arne: What is lunch?)
(Alex: We're going for the artist, and it's [*].)

ART $1600: Art historians think the lady in the da Vinci work was pregnant because she holds this animal, a pregnancy emblem
(Bill: What's a lamb?)
[Bill tries to look more closely at the picture screen.]

DOUBLE THE VOWEL $2000: 2 of these are equivalent to the diameter of a circle
(Alex: One is a radius, two are [*].)

POP CULTURE FILL-INS $1600: Tiny
____
____
-Hill
(Bill: What is Tim and Faith?)
(Alex: You had the right family, but you had to stick with the guy, [*].)

POP CULTURE FILL-INS $2000: Steve
____
____
Boothe
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bill: $8,600
Rose: $5,400
Arne: $3,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CARIBBEAN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Bill: Wager $2,200. Risk any less and Rose may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Arne may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Rose: Wager all $5,400. If Bill bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Arne: Wager all $3,200, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Bill if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Pico Duarte & Lago Enriquillo in this country 650 miles from Florida are the highest & lowest points in the Caribbean

FINAL SCORES
Arne: $3,200 - $3,200 = $0 (What is Jamaica) (3rd place)
Rose: $5,400 - $1,001 = $4,399 (What is Puerto Rico?) (2nd place)
Bill: $8,600 + $2,200 = $10,800 (What is Dominican Rep.?) (15701-day champion: $10,800)
(Rose: [Sheepishly, during her own reveal] That's not even a country.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Bill: $9,400, 17 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Rose: $8,400, 15 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Arne: $3,200, 10 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $21,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Bill: 18/60 = .300
Rose: 15/59 = .254
Arne: 10/58 = .172
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TV THROUGH THE YEARS $400: In the '70s, he was a perhaps unlikely sex symbol playing a cop

TV THROUGH THE YEARS $800: "I kid you not" was the catchphrase of this "Tonight Show" host before Johnny Carson

TV THROUGH THE YEARS $1000: That's Morty the moose, not star Rob Morrow, in the opening credits of this Alaska-set '90s show

A CLASH OF SYMBOLS $600: In an 1874 cartoon Thomas Nast drew this creature scaring other animals, including an elephant
(Rose: What is a mouse?)

THE ABCs OF NYC $600: CUNY:
Hunter College is one
(Rose: What is Columbia University of New York?)

THAT'S MY STORY $400: Published in 1955, his first volume of post-White House memoirs was titled "Year of Decisions"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

DOUBLE THE VOWEL $1600: This first name of the actress seen here is also the name of Yemen's capital

SCENTS & SENSE ABILITY $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an animated cutaway diagram of a dog's head on the monitor.) One reason a dog's sense of smell is so acute is because when it inhales only part of the air goes to the respiratory system; the rest is directed to this system, from Latin for smell

CORRECT RESPONSES
arrows & an olive branch
Athens
Arizona
the Taxi and Limousine Commission
the Panama Canal
Henry the Navigator
creep
Édouard Manet
an ermine
radii
Tim McGraw
Austin Powers
the Dominican Republic
Telly Savalas
Jack Paar
Northern Exposure
a donkey
City University of New York
Truman
Sanaa
olfactory
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Caribbean
Pico Duarte & Lago Enriquillo in this country 650 miles from Florida are the highest & lowest points in the Caribbean.

Spoiler
What is the Dominican Republic? Arne said Haiti; Rose said Puerto Rico. ("not even a country", she lamented)

Bill Tolany: $8,600+$2,200=$10,800...now a 2-day champion with $26,500
Rose Adams: $5,400-$1,001=$4,399
Arne Lunde: $3,200-$3,200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

How many of you have Toto's St. George and the Dragon to thank for getting the $400 ART clue?

Had Cuba for FJ!
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Don't be surprised if the returning champ is down for the count soon, since Bill Tolany = NOTABLY ILL!!!

#truthinanagrams
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The $200s were tough on me tonight. I keep putting I Love Lucy two decades too late, so $200 in TV went right past me. I completely missed "communist" on Clash for $200, and have NHO Centre Court or Phil Jackson.

Empire State Building was a stupid miss. I couldn't get away from the B standing for Bridge, and got stuck when I couldn't think of a bridge that fit.

Any reason I should need to know that Bisbee is in AZ? That clue seemed really opaque and trivial.

I thought Clash for $800 would be things, not people, so Mars/Venus = men/women went right over my head. $1000 was my only get in that category, oddly.

====

Between the first two categories in DJ!, my only three gets were Lach Trash (creep, ermine, radii). Ermine is by far one of my best gets ever.

Anyone else say "chocolate" on Scents for $400 because of Nestlé staring you there in the face? I will always find negbait even where it doesn't exist. Even worse, I got the next four.

The top boxes also ate my lunch in DJ! NHO George and the Dragon, saw no way to get to Wales on that Prince clue, clammed on Mowgli out of uncertainty, and knew nothing more specific about bazooka than "some kind of weapon-like thing".

LTAM with 10 clues left. Bleah. Make it stoooooop!

Pop Culture sounded daunting, but I got all but $2000 there. Just "Before, During, & After" with the "During" part missing.

====

Not a guess on FJ! This seemed like another "pure trivia, you know it or you don't" clue. Didn't help that I had major brain-lock and couldn't think of a single Caribbean island.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I'm surprised no one said El Salvador because of Jose Napoleon Duarte... oh wait I'm not.

The Western Hemipshere was not kind to the lady at the right podium. I was expecting Alex to be more chiding over the Puerto Rico response.

Another "meh" game.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

28 clues were revealed in the J! round. I started with 14 correct in a row, but then I had 8 correct and 6 clams in the next 14. (However, several of those were triple stumpers on the show.)

I got ESB, but it took me a second, because for me, that stands for "extra special bitter".

What I actually said at home for the $100 clue in "Symbols" was "arrows and olive branches". I didn't realize the eagle was only holding one of the latter. The show's not usually fussy about singular vs plural, are they? That would be a heartbreaking neg if a contestant said "branches" and Alex was like, "I'm sorry, that's wrong; there's only one branch."

"Radii" was my "shout at the screen" of the day, but I'm an assistant math professor who enjoys wordplay.

I missed FJ, but really should have gotten it. I would have gotten it if it was 60 seconds. Knew it must be a Spanish-speaking country. Had no previous idea where the highest and lowest points in the Caribbean are. Figured they would be in a large country. Cuba's the largest country in the Caribbean (I think), and they speak Spanish. Wrote it down. Then, started thinking: Cuba is probably more (EDIT: That was a brainfart; I meant to type "less") than 650 miles from Florida. (But if it's not either Cuba or the Bahamas, why are they talking about the distance from Florida at all?) Thought of the Dominican Republic as a relatively large country (by Caribbean standards, that is) which speaks Spanish and which is further from Florida than Cuba is. I know absolutely nothing about the topography of the Dominican Republic, or any other Caribbean country. I didn't make the switch (and I'm not sure if I would have had time) so I stayed with "Cuba" at home.
Last edited by skullturf on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Cuba is close to Florida - so close that Dyana Nyad can fraudulently claim that she swam from one to the other.

But the rest of your reasoning is correct. It has to be a Spanish speaking country on a relatively large non-Cuba island (that is not a part of the United States).
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Cuba 650 miles from Florida?! (would be a bit far to jam radio signals)

If that was the case, Diana Nyad would probably still be in the water right now between Havana & Key West :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess telling us the distance was their was of saying "Its not Cuba or the Bahamas".

Somehow I got Duarte mixed up with Duvalier and went with Haiti. Hey, I was close.

They would have finished the first round if Alex hadn't babbled so much during the DD.

Great wagering by the champ and the other guy. The lady's bet wasn't too bad, either.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Hey do you JeopVets think Alex would have accepted the answer "Arrows and olive branches" on the dollar (which struck me as pretty easy) where the right answer was "Arrows and *an* olive branch?" Given: it was a DD.

Jeffrey
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

skullturf wrote: I got ESB, but it took me a second, because for me, that stands for "extra special bitter".
I was thinking Empire Strikes Back, and it took me way too long to make the leap to the correct Empire.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yay for the wagering. The leader recognized that he needed to leave off the extra dollar to ensure he wasn't passed by 3rd place. 3rd place did what he had to do, betting it all to give himself a chance if the leader was wrong. Rose could have bet it all in an effort to tie the leader if he did leave off that dollar, but I don't blame her a bit for not doing so, because the number of players that recognize that scenario seems to be so low that it's not a very high-percentage play. Instead, she bet low enough to ensure 2nd if Arne was wrong, and enough to win by a dollar if she was right and Bill was wrong. High marks all around for the betting on this day. I think Vermonter can take a well-deserved day off.

I loved that Panama Canal DD, because once you figure it out, it becomes glaringly obvious, but it took me quite a few seconds to put all the pieces together.
skullturf wrote: "Radii" was my "shout at the screen" of the day, but I'm an assistant math professor who enjoys wordplay.
There was very little math knowledge required for that one, nor much in the way of wordplay skill needed. What's half of a diameter? Surely everyone knows that, right? What's the plural of radius? Really, nobody? I would expect that to poll in the 90-95% range on this site, so surely 3 random players from the contestant pool can't let it go by them, right? Oh, I guess they can. What do you say, Mark, can we get a poll number on that clue?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I actually liked this board, but it did not like me. I agree that "radii" was overvalued at $2000, though.

I usually do horribly in television categories, but the one in the J! round was very easy. The only clue that I did not know in it was the one on Lucille Ball, at $200. On the flip side, Art is usually a good category for me, but I went 1/5 in the Art category that was in the DJ! round. The clue on Manet was really the only one in that category that required any Art knowledge.

I thought that the female contestant should have gone TDD on the DJ round DD that she uncovered. It was a good thing that she didn't.

I messed up on FJ. I was between Cuba and the Dominican Republic, but I thought that Cuba was closer than 650 miles and the Dominican Republic was farther away than 650 miles. I picked the wrong one.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I turned the show on in the middle of DJ! I had to check the clock again because the scores seemed way too low.

Nothing else to add to the FJ! discussion- had to be Cuba or the DR, and Cuba seemed too close.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

One thing that felt satisfying is that I ran the "Scents and Sense Ability" category, although I don't really know anything about scents or perfumes or the physiology of how smell works. It really came down to just general knowledge and vocabulary -- everything could be "teased out" even if you didn't really "know" it or weren't an expert in the area. It's satisfying when that happens.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

El Jefe wrote:Hey do you JeopVets think Alex would have accepted the answer "Arrows and olive branches" on the dollar (which struck me as pretty easy) where the right answer was "Arrows and *an* olive branch?" Given: it was a DD.

Jeffrey
I had the same response and have the same question. Judges?

650 miles from Florida rules out Cuba. Country rules out Puerto Rico. In the Caribbean rules out Bermuda and any Central American country. Spanish place names rule out Jamaica and Haiti and just about all the Lesser Antilles. Dominican Republic was pretty much the only place to go.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I'm surprised "radii" was a $2,000 clue and a TS. It seemed like basic geometry to me.

Got both missed DD's, though the arrows and olive branch took a few seconds to come to my mind.

Carribean —> Spanish sounding names —> blah blah blah close to Florida —> Cuba. Oops.
El Jefe wrote:Jeffrey
You and I have the same first name.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I really wasn't sure on FJ today; knew it wasn't Cuba, and the Dominican Republic was the only other Spanish-speaking Caribbean country I could think of. Thankfully, I was right.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

jeff6286 wrote:I loved that Panama Canal DD, because once you figure it out, it becomes glaringly obvious, but it took me quite a few seconds to put all the pieces together.
For some reason I jumped to the transcontinental railroad and couldn't get my mind down to Panama in time. Panama Canal makes more sense with the wording from the quote.