Think Different 167: Are You Ready For Some (College) Football?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Think Different 167: Are You Ready For Some (College) Football?

Post by Creed Bratton »

It’s my favorite season of the year, college football season! While TV’s Creed Bratton is probably not much of a college football fan, this Creed Bratton is a die-hard Nebraska Cornhusker fan. Much like on a recruiting visit, I’ll serve as your host for this event. My hope is that most of these questions will be able to be answered by anyone with a passing knowledge of sports, but contain enough nuance to reward the expert.

Like college football, we have rules here. Unlike college football, we will not have boosters paying you to violate those rules. And like teams have been liberally borrowing from Oregon’s playbook in recent years, these rules are liberally borrowed from WRV’s last TD.

1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The deadline for submission is 12 PM, Central time, on Monday, November 4.

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2.
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may PUNT one question by listing PUNT instead of an answer. Not surprisingly, the PUNT option gives you a score of zero points for that question.

5. You may also pick the TOUCHDOWN option for one question. For that question, you may give an answer, but list it as the TOUCHDOWN answer. Your score for that question will be reduced by 6 points. No negative scores, however, so if your score for that question would otherwise have been 3, it will only be reduced to zero.

6. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

7. The first tiebreaker will be the score before the bonus question, then the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

8. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

9. Unless specified otherwise, you may answer with any event that actually happened, regardless of whether it subsequently “unhappened.” In other words, you can give an answer even if that result was subsequently vacated, forfeited, etc.
Last edited by Creed Bratton on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Creed Bratton

Re: TD 167: Are You Ready For Some (College) Football?

Post by Creed Bratton »

1. Each Saturday morning, ESPN’s College Gameday serves as the unofficial kickoff to the college football weekend. For the past 20 years, Gameday has traveled around the country for a key matchup each week. Sadly, however, Gameday has not been able to get everywhere. Name one of the 16 states that has never hosted Gameday.

2. Throughout the country, tens of thousands of people pack into a stadium every Saturday during the fall to watch their favorite team play. Some stadiums, however, are larger than others. 13 college football teams play in a stadium that can hold more than 90,000 fans, defined by the largest reported attendance for a college football game in that stadium. Name one.

3. The Heisman Memorial Trophy is designed to recognize the “outstanding college football player” of each year. Unfortunately, in recent years this award has often gone to the best quarterback of the year. Name a winner of the Heisman Trophy who was NOT a quarterback.

4. But of course, the Heisman Trophy is not the only college football award given to players at the end of the season. Name any major college football postseason award given to a player. For purposes of this answer, I am defining a “major” award as one that appears on ESPN.com’s list of college football awards.

5. Only 14 running backs in history have rushed for more than 2000 yards in a season at the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level. Name one.

6. College football has had many great coaches over the years. Name a coach who is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame that coached his last game during the 1997 season or later. In other words, stay away from Ara Parseghian.

7. Over the past few years, realignment has been a huge issue in college football. Even the five power conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12) have experienced realignment. Name one of the 12 teams that will play in one of those conferences during the 2014 season that did not play in that conference during the 2009 season.

8. The goal of each season is to win the BCS National Championship. Short and simple: name a team that has won the BCS National Championship.

9. If a team doesn’t get to the BCS National Championship Game, however, there are still lots of other bowls out there. Most of those bowls are sponsored in some manner. Name the sponsor of a bowl game at the end of the 2013 season. By sponsor, I mean either the bowl is named for a company (e.g., the Nike Bowl), is part of the name of the bowl (e.g. the Nike Rose Bowl), or is the presenting sponsor of the bowl (e.g., the Rose Bowl presented by Nike).

10. Beginning next season, however, the goals will change, as teams will be competing to be part of the college football playoff. Recently, the playoff announced the 13-person committee that will select the participants. Name a member of that committee.

11. As we all know, scandal is a part of college football. As a consequence for NCAA rules violations, teams are occasionally required to vacate wins from prior seasons in which they fielded ineligible players or otherwise violated NCAA rules. Name a team that has had to vacate at least one win from the 1998 season or later.

12. Cats. I hate cats. Not that that has anything to do with college football, but I really hate cats. And so I hate teams that are nicknamed with some form of feline. Name an FBS team with a feline nickname.

13. While college football is nice, nothing is nicer than being named the first pick in the NFL Draft. Name a college that has had a player selected as the first pick in the 2000 to 2013 NFL Drafts.

14. We’ll end this TD with a question that involves the entire history of college football. It’s short and simple, name one of the top 16 programs in college football history, ranked by number of total wins. A couple of hints: (1) the wins can be at any level of college football, and (2) the rankings are not affected by wins that have been vacated over time, so the top 16 are the same regardless of whether you include vacated wins.

BONUS: As a point of personal privilege, the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers are widely considered the greatest team in college football history. For the bonus, name up to three members of the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers. For each one you correctly name, I will reduce your score by one point.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Creed Bratton wrote:BONUS: As a point of personal privilege, the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers are widely considered the greatest team in college football history. For the bonus, name up to three members of the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers. For each one you correctly name, I will reduce your score by one point.
As the 'Huskers annihilated my Gators in the bowl game that year, 1) I hate you. :P , 2) I burn effigies of several of those players daily, so thanks for the 3 points off. ;)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Think Different 167: Are You Ready For Some (College) Football?

Post by Paucle »

JBoard TD: Feast or Famine! :o
amorris525
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by amorris525 »

Where's the FCS love???

Just kidding, great quiz!
Creed Bratton

Post by Creed Bratton »

Paucle wrote:JBoard TD: Feast or Famine! :o
Ha! I'm sure it feels that way. It was hard to create a balance of questions...some feel too easy, some might be on the borderline of too hard. I hope that at the end of it, people will still find it fun. I guess we'll see! :D
Creed Bratton

Post by Creed Bratton »

amorris525 wrote:Where's the FCS love???

Just kidding, great quiz!
Ha! Although, FCS knowledge is potentially relevant to at least a few of these questions...
Creed Bratton

Post by Creed Bratton »

econgator wrote:
Creed Bratton wrote:BONUS: As a point of personal privilege, the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers are widely considered the greatest team in college football history. For the bonus, name up to three members of the 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers. For each one you correctly name, I will reduce your score by one point.
As the 'Huskers annihilated my Gators in the bowl game that year, 1) I hate you. :P , 2) I burn effigies of several of those players daily, so thanks for the 3 points off. ;)
I originally intended to get a personalized license plate reading N62 F24, but my wife pointed out that I live in Arkansas and so most people would think that is my ham radio station...
Creed Bratton

Post by Creed Bratton »

List of participants:

This is Kirk!
kickerofelves
dhkendall
Woof
CrunchyTaco
mujason
tjconn728
MarkBarrett
RandyG
Rackme32
CoachP
PowerofHoodoo
mitchparov
Vanya
geolawyerman
amorris525
DadofTwins
coolcah36
Austin Powers
Sherm
econgator
WRV
Vermonter
gamawire
ihavejeoprosy
Paucle
kettledrum
crazymatt1
Thom
TomKBaltimoreBoy
debramc
JeopardyMom
goforthetie
Bamaman
waterloo-guy
spell4yr
jeffwolfe
Last edited by Creed Bratton on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 am, edited 9 times in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Creed Bratton wrote:
Ha! I'm sure it feels that way. It was hard to create a balance of questions...some feel too easy, some might be on the borderline of too hard. I hope that at the end of it, people will still find it fun. I guess we'll see! :D
Oh, I'm not commenting on your questions. I have at least one answer for all but one. I think they're great!
I was pointing out we now have 3 active TDs, whereas we recently went (perhaps) as long as 3 months with none at all.
immaf

Post by immaf »

Cats. I hate cats. Not that that has anything to do with college football, but I really hate cats.
You are dead to me.
Teems with quiet fun.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Creed Bratton wrote: Ha! I'm sure it feels that way. It was hard to create a balance of questions...some feel too easy, some might be on the borderline of too hard. I hope that at the end of it, people will still find it fun. I guess we'll see! :D
I think you did a superb job of striking a balance in the questions, especially given the two lifeline options. But that cat comment.... arrrgggggghhh!
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Nice job. I'll get the winning entry to you by this evening.

Remember, you're all playing for second place, unless, of course, someone cheats. If I lose, that is how I will justify it. :D

I can see it already, Fifth place behind four cheaters. :evil:
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

I probably lost this by a considerable amount, considering I have only been following college football for the past two years, but this was a nice TD.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

Oh, this looks like fun ... :D
crazymatt1
Valued Contributor

Post by crazymatt1 »

Creed Bratton wrote: 7. Over the past few years, realignment has been a huge issue in college football. Even the five power conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12) have experienced realignment. Name one of the 12 teams that will play in one of those conferences during the 2014 season that did not play in that conference during the 2009 season.
Just to clarify, teams that moved between power conferences are valid answers, correct? It doesn't have to be a team that moved from a non-power conference into a power conference?
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

More like "TD 167: Sheep, Wrong, or Singleton - The Choice Is Yours!"
Creed Bratton

Post by Creed Bratton »

crazymatt1 wrote:
Creed Bratton wrote: 7. Over the past few years, realignment has been a huge issue in college football. Even the five power conferences (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac-12) have experienced realignment. Name one of the 12 teams that will play in one of those conferences during the 2014 season that did not play in that conference during the 2009 season.
Just to clarify, teams that moved between power conferences are valid answers, correct? It doesn't have to be a team that moved from a non-power conference into a power conference?
Correct.
Creed Bratton

Post by Creed Bratton »

Just a few clarifications.

Question 2--I was looking for the team, but will also take the name of the stadium.

Question 5--I am referring to running backs who played while their team was at the highest level of college football (FBS, I-A, etc.)

Question 6--I am looking for coaches who were inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as coaches, not great players who subsequently coached.

I hope these are helpful.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Creed Bratton wrote:Just a few clarifications.

Question 2--I was looking for the team, but will also take the name of the stadium.

I hope these are helpful.
This would appear to double the answer pool, but I would assume that you would consider it the same answer if one person names a given team and another names the stadium they play in. Would that be correct?