Monday, October 28, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 28, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6696, 2013-10-28

CONTESTANTS
Gus Iurillo, a business ownership coach from Glen Allen, Virginia
Molly Kossoff, a beauty-industry magazine editor from West Hills, California
Mike Shapiro, an actuary from Denver, Colorado (whose 2-day cash winnings total $24,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome, everyone, to the first day of our World Adventure Sweepstakes. Before this day is over, one of you, our viewers, will have won a fabulous trip to Antarctica--more about that later. And in this half-hour, one of these three players, hopefully, will win a lot of cash. So, Gus, Molly, welcome aboard. Mike, welcome back. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for the three of you. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
20th CENTURY LITERARY DECADES (5/5)
ANOTHER JACKSON 5 (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS (2/2)
FORWARDS & BACKWORDS (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response--two words, one the reverse of the other.)
THINGS TO DO TODAY (3/4)
WICKED (5/5) (Elphaba: Clues about one of Broadway's biggest hits of all time. Galinda: You're good.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Molly: 15 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mike: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Gus: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Molly: $4,600
Mike: $600
Gus: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: We've had contestants on the program in the past who had unique ways of proposing to, uh, their intended. Gus, tell us about yours.

Gus: That's right, Alex. Um, I proposed to my wife with a candy ring. I wanted to surprise her, and I knew she was very particular about, you know, the type of jewelry she likes to wear.

Alex: Mm-hm.

Gus: So I got her a candy ring and proposed to her with that, and she still has it to this day.

Alex: So, obviously, she said yes--

Gus: She stuck around.

Alex: --right then.

Gus: Yes.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Molly Kossoff is from West Hills, California. She is a beauty-industry magazine editor. What's new in the beauty industry that guys like me should know about?

Molly: Well, we found kind of that one of the types of products that really appeal to men, for some reason, is the type that combines a few different functions, like a three-in-one--you know, a shampoo, conditioner, body wash. It's all in one package, and for some reason, that appeals
to a lot of men.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Mike Shapiro is our champion--recently participated in a community-renovation project in Denver. Colorado has had some rough times this year, what with all the flooding, but your renovations had nothing to do with that. Am I correct?

Mike: Nope. We do a community-service day with my company each year, and this year, we did Extreme Community Makeover, where we went into underserved communities and we helped clean up some alleys and paint over some graffiti and things like that.

Alex: Okay. Good work. Pro bono stuff.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Molly found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Mike had $2,000, Molly had $5,600, and Gus had a deficit with -$200. Molly wagered $2,000.

ANOTHER JACKSON 5 $800: Maynard Jackson was mayor of fhis city, & one of the USA's busiest airports now bears his name
(Molly: What is... uhhh...)
(Alex: Pick a city.)
(Molly: Philadelphia?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THINGS TO DO TODAY $600: Pick up more of these for that roofing job--I'll need cedar ones in the 24-inch "royal" length to match

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Molly: $5,000
Mike: $2,000
Gus: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 28, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOUSE HUNTERS INTERGALACTIC (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANTHONY HOPKINS MOVIES BY ROLE (4/5)
IT'S IN THE "CAN" (3/5)
MIDDLE AGE MEN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ARE YOU GONNA EAT THAT? (3/5)
POTPOURRI (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Molly: 13 R, 1 W
Mike: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Gus: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Mike had $4,800, Molly had $11,400, and Gus was at $3,000. Mike wagered $3,200.

MIDDLE AGE MEN $1200: Al-Razi gave the first description of acquired immunitv in a discussion of this disease that disfigured & killed
(Mike: What is the bubonic plague?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mike who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Mike had $6,000, Molly had $12,600, and Gus was at $6,600. Mike wagered $5,000.

HOUSE HUNTERS INTERGALACTIC $2000: Want land? Buying on this moon of Saturn is a no-brainer: its 3,200-mile diameter is bigger than Mercury!

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANTHONY HOPKINS MOVIES BY ROLE $2000: Mad genius Bailey
(a 2013 sequel)

IT'S IN THE "CAN" $2000: In Catholicism this part of the mass begins after the preface & sanctus & ends just before the Lord's prayer

IT'S IN THE "CAN" $800: This postal marking or perforation on a stamp indicates that it's been used

ARE YOU GONNA EAT THAT? $800: This generic 4-letter variety of seaweed, kombu in Japanese--no
(Molly: What is nori?)

ARE YOU GONNA EAT THAT? $2000: The comice type of this fruit--yes, with good cheese

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Molly: $16,200
Mike: $11,000
Gus: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Molly: Wager $5,801 to cover Mike.
Mike: You ought to wager to cover Gus, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $11,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $3,000 (to shut out Gus) or less than $600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Gus). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Molly.
Gus: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $3,400), you might try betting $4,001, playing for a win if Mike tries to two-thirds Molly (though, from this position, a wager of all $7,000 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Mike to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 19th century character talks about his own writings about tattoo marks & on the tracing of footsteps

FINAL SCORES
Gus: $7,000 - $1,500 = $5,500 (Who is Fagin) (2nd place)
Mike: $11,000 - $10,000 = $1,000 (Who is Fagen) (3rd place)
Molly: $16,200 - $5,100 = $11,100 (Who ??) (New champion: $11,100)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Molly: $18,200, 28 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Mike: $11,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Gus: $7,000, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $36,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Molly: 28/59 = .475
Mike: 11/60 = .183
Gus: 9/58 = .155
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WICKED $600: My name is Madame Morribile & "weather is my specialty", which creates a huge plot twist when I conjure up this weather phenomenon

WICKED $800: I, Galinda, try to teach my less fortunate college roommate Elphaba to be more like me in this show-stopping number

"Follow my lead /
And, yes, indeed /
You /
Will /
Be..."

WICKED $1000: Fiyero here--I've been the love interest of both Elphaba & Galinda for 10 years, since the show opened on Broadway in 2003, the night before this holiday (fitting for a show about 2 witches)
(Alex: Yeah, this seems to be one of your favorite musicals. Keep it going.)

WICKED $400: They call me "Wonderful" in the show & give me credit for the idea of building a wonderful road of yellow brick & a town of this color

WICKED $200: I'm Elphaba--"Wicked" is based on Gregory Maguire's 1995 novel subtitled "The Life & Times of" this character
[Applause for Molly's run of the category]
(Alex: You are right, and you ran the category.)
(Molly: Thank you.)
(Alex: And you have $3,200. And our thanks, of course, to the cast and crew of Wicked and our congratulations as they celebrate their 10th anniversary at the Gershwin Theatre.)

FORWARDS & BACKWORDS $800: "Pale" beer type &
kingly
(Mike: What are ale and ... ela?)

20th CENTURY LITERARY DECADES $1000: "The Good Earth" &
"It Can't Happen Here"
(Molly: What are the 1940s?)
(Gus: What are the '10s?)

ANOTHER JACKSON 5 $600: From 1990-1996, he served as a nonvoting member of the U.S. Senate from the District of Columbia

IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS $200: Its main campus lies along the Charles River
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

THINGS TO DO TODAY $800: Whip up a 7-course meal, including this expensive, boneless, 2-word cut of beef from the small end of the tenderloin
(Mike: What is Chateaubriand?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

POTPOURRI $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) The 4 great rivers of Africa are the Niger, the Nile, the Zambezi & this one that lends its name to 2 countries in its basin

CORRECT RESPONSES
Atlanta
cedar shingles
smallpox
Titan
RED 2
the canon
cancellation
kelp
a pear
Sherlock Holmes
the tornado
"Popular"
Halloween
emerald (green)
the Wicked Witch of the West
lager & regal
the 1930s
Jesse Jackson
Harvard
filet mignon
the Congo
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Literary Characters
This 19th century character talks about his own writings about tattoo marks & on the tracing of footsteps.

Spoiler
Who is Sherlock Holmes? Gus and Mike both said Fagin; Molly had no guess.

Molly Kossoff: $16,200-$5,100=$11,100...now a 1-day champion with $11,100
Mike Shapiro: $11,000-$10,000=$1,000
Gus Iurillo: $7,000-$1,500=$5,500
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_S30
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Mike_S30 »

Watch me go for the three-peat, tonight on JEOPARDY!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Commercial break after only 10 clues? When's the last time that happened? Where'd all the time go, anyway? The Wicked clues didn't seem long at all, nor did Alex's plug of the contest. Even worse, we have a long credit roll. No excuse.

I went 3/5 in Wicked. My sister likes it, so I knew "Popular" but couldn't pull it, and couldn't come up with anything on $200. I saw "The life and times of" and my mind refused to say anything other than "Juniper Lee".

Denim/mined was my only miss in Forward/Backward. For some reason, I don't process denim as a "fabric".

Anyone else clam on Jackson Pollock since the other four Jacksons were last names and not first? That was dirty pool, writers.

0/5 in both 20th Century Lit and Jackson.

====

Marco Polo was Venetian?!?

I thought "cancellation" was kinda tough on "Can" for $800. NHO "Canon" in that sense.

NHO the bottom two foods in Eat That, and I barely know what fennel is, so the Lach Trash for me on "kelp" was a shocker. (To be fair, $1600 sounded vaguely mushroom-y to me, but I didn't pull the trigger.)

"Io" was overvalued at $1600.

Lindsey Graham seemed undervalued at $400, whereas Congo and Detroit declaring bankruptcy seemed overvalued.

====

No guess on FJ! Even when he said "detective work", the clue seemed way, way, way too far removed from anything Sherlockian for Holmes to click.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Sigh...

I missed FJ yet again.

I said "Robinson Crusoe" -- and only now, typing it out, does it occur to me: Duh! That's not a 19th century character! It was written by Daniel Defoe, not Robert Louis Stevenson!

I thought "footprints" = footprints in the sand, on an island. And pre-20th century, I associate tattoos with sailors and Pacific islands.

Groan...
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

First break after 10 questions? Total BS.

Last DD wager should have been all 6k instead of 5k, leaving that 1k has no benefit and could make the difference between being ahead vs. behind going into FJ.

Same thing from the champ's FJ wager, no reason not to bet everything. Only thing missing from Gus' FJ wager was a frilly pink skirt.

The new champ played a very nice game.

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Io" was overvalued at $1600.
And yet no comment about an even easier clue with Titan at $2k? The whole category was kid's week material.
Last edited by Golf on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

skullturf wrote:Sigh...

I missed FJ yet again.

I said "Robinson Crusoe" -- and only now, typing it out, does it occur to me: Duh! That's not a 19th century character! It was written by Daniel Defoe, not Robert Louis Stevenson!

I thought "footprints" = footprints in the sand, on an island. And pre-20th century, I associate tattoos with sailors and Pacific islands.

Groan...
Crusoe was my first thought too, for exactly the same reasons, but I knew the book was too early. I drew a complete blank on this one.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Mike_S30 wrote:Watch me go for the three-peat, tonight on JEOPARDY!
Sorta figured you won since you posted this. But then you bet a big round number for FJ, and that's never a good sign.

Odd to see two straight lit FJs. This one I said Queequeg initially, but between the earlier Melville reference and the fact that was wrong, I changed it to Natty Bumppo, which is also wrong but not as stupidly wrong.

I have some vague memory of Holmes writing about tattoos. It's a strange answer though since some of the more famous Holmes works are 20th Century. It makes sense in retrospect but I feel the tattoo mention conjures up a hunt for a character with tattoos.

Wheel of Fortune pimps products, but the contestants stand something to gain from those sponsorships. Here, the whoring to Wicked and Lindblad meant we only got through TEN questions by break one, despite none of them being TSs and none of them being the DD. BTW, Lindblad is crazy expensive. I'm not sure what market the show is appealing to with this affiliation. Tag Heuer makes more sense.

Once again Marco Polo is the answer, but no one said "Marco? Polo!" as the response.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TPH makes shockingly insightful comments about this game's terrible valuations. The winner does seem to have a good range of knowledge though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote:First break after 10 questions? Total BS.

Last DD wager should have been all 6k instead of 5k, leaving that 1k has no benefit and could make the difference between being ahead vs. behind going into FJ.

Same thing from the champ's FJ wager, no reason not to bet everything. Only thing missing from Gus' FJ wager was a frilly pink skirt.

The new champ played a very nice game.

And yet no comment about an even easier clue with Titan at $2k? The whole category was kid's week material.
He probably should have bet more, but maybe leave $100 just to make sure he is around for FJ.

When he bet $5,000 on the DD after Alex gave the time warning, I was hoping for a tie game when he went for the $1,600 clue next. But Molly got it and then they amazingly finished the board. I knew they wouldn't finish the first round with Alex announcing the contest, the Wicked category, Alex commenting on her doing well in it, the audience applauding and then Alex commenting again on it.

Not great FJ betting. Molly did not cover Mike. If Mike is going to bet that much, he might as well go all in, which gets him the win if they both get it right.

Gus didn't even bet enough to get to Molly's MSBIW score.

I had Tom Sawyer for FJ.
Mike_S30
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Mike_S30 »

What, Alex thought I meant that Fagin? No...

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex should have announced what show will make its season debut next week.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote:He probably should have bet more, but maybe leave $100 just to make sure he is around for FJ.
Here's my take on this, any champ has already been through at least one FJ, so he/she shouldn't care one iota if he's not around. But from an emotional point of view I can understand if a challenger takes this position.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a good board, except for the FJ clue. I do agree with Austin Powers and TPH about those clue valuations, though.

I was disappointed that Molly couldn't pull the Daily Double on Hartsfield-Jackson airport.

My years working at Publix helped me on the "comice pear" clue, although that one probably wasn't that hard.

I liked the get that the guy on the end had with "Saladin." I said Suleiman.

It was great to see all 30 clues in the DJ round. I was very afraid that a nice, phat Astronomy category would be left with some clues not played.

The FJ immediately made me think of The Scarlett Letter, so I guessed Roger Chillingworth. The clue didn't lead me anywhere else.

I really enjoyed watching Molly. I am not sure that I picture her going on a long run, but I hope that she does.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Golf wrote:
For some reason, Io is the only non-Earth moon I can ever remember. I got only $400 and $1600 there, but clammed on $1200. $800 was the only one I had absolutely no idea on. (What was it again?)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Another Crusoe here, for all the reasons skull mentioned, though I was pretty sure my century was wrong.
I place Holmes mentally in the 20th century, so I'd've ignored him even had he occurred to me.

Ran the forward/backward category, and "Can," and the Pluto/ Titan/ Io/ Mars category.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Tracing of footsteps seemed like a very detective thing to do, and talking about his own work also seemed to point to Sherlock Holmes. Not sure of the thought process of those who guessed Fagin.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

skullturf wrote:Sigh...

I missed FJ yet again.

Groan...
Make me the 4th to be nearly a full century off with 1719's Robinson Crusoe. :oops: I pretty much had the same reasoning you did, as tattoos and footsteps both seem like they could be pointing to an island. Thinking about tracing footsteps leading to footprints, I did actually consider Holmes, but time was running out, and I had to decide quickly if I should change my answer or not, and I really didn't know how tattoos would apply to Holmes, so I left it as it was. So close, and yet not even close. :roll:

The FJ wagers were all a little curious. I wonder if Molly didn't understand the concept of the MSB, or if she felt so little confidence in the category that she intentionally chose to risk letting Mike pass her on a triple get in order to ensure that he couldn't beat her if he was wrong. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow if she's in the lead again.

I was thinking before FJ that Mike could have lost the game due to leaving that $1000 behind on the last DD. If we add $1000 to his pre-FJ score, the scores are:

Molly 16,200
Mike 12,000
Gus 7,000

If Molly makes the MSB of 7,801, she drops to 8,399 on a miss. Mike can bet 2001 to cover Gus, and still have 9,999 left on a miss, so on a triple stumper, Mike should win with these scores.

However, with the bet that Molly actually made, my speculation is that she would likely have bet 4,100 with these scores, dropping to 12,100 and still winning on the triple stumper no matter what Mike bet.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Golf wrote:
For some reason, Io is the only non-Earth moon I can ever remember. I got only $400 and $1600 there, but clammed on $1200. $800 was the only one I had absolutely no idea on. (What was it again?)
$800 was Proxima Centauri, I believe. I don't know much about that, but if you give me Proxima, I can fill in Centauri.