Wednesday, November 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6703, 2013-11-06

CONTESTANTS
Evan Voorn, a student teacher from Fort Worth, Texas
Kellie Herson, a Ph.D. student and teaching assistant originally from Green Bay, Wisconsin
Rani Peffer, a corporate finance manager from Crittenden, Kentucky (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,311)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. A fabulous voyage from Greece up the Dalmatian coast available today on our program. Evan and Kellie, welcome aboard. Rani, nice to see you again. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories that will help you earn that money...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT'S A FEDERAL HOLIDAY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT (4/5)
THE NEW YORK TIMES FOOD (2/3) (Alex: And all of the clues will be presented by the paper's food writer, Mark Bittman.)
IN THE WORLD CAPITAL (4/5)
MYSTERY FOLKS (4/5)
BEASTLY WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Evan: 10 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Kellie: 8 R, 2 W
Rani: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Evan found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Rani was in the hole with -$800, Kellie was in the red with -$400, and Evan was at $800. Evan wagered $1,000.

IT'S A FEDERAL HOLIDAY $1000: The first presidential proclamation of this day mentions "the favorable interpositions of" God's providence
(Evan: What is Easter?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Evan: $1,000
Kellie: $800
Rani: -$1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: All three contestants on the program today have a connection with teaching. That's true for Evan Voorn from Fort Worth. You teach...?

Evan: German language.

Alex: To...?

Evan: High schoolers.

Alex: What grades are we talking about?

Evan: 9 through 12.

Alex: Are they fairly advanced at that age, or are they just beginning?

Evan: They begin and then they work through level 1, level 2, and by the time they get to level 3, I got them speaking all the time.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Kellie Herson is originally from Green Bay, Wisconsin. She's a teaching assistant who taught a college class on her own when you were just 21?

Kellie: Yes. I was working on my master's degree at Washington State University. Go, Cougs. And I started the program when I was 21, so they get us out there teaching English 101, so some of my students were older than me.

Alex: I was just going to say, yeah.

Kellie: Yeah, most of them were taller than me. But I think that would happen at any grade level.

Alex: But it was fun? Okay, good.

Alex: Rani Peffer from Crittenden, Kentucky, is our champion. Her connection with teaching is that, not that she taught, but she married...?

Rani: A college accounting professor, or more specifically, my college accounting professor.

Alex: Mm-hmm. What was it about him that sealed the deal?

Rani: When I talked to him, it was like he was so much like myself, it was like looking in a mirror, and I couldn't resist the idea of spending the rest of my life with myself.

[Laughter and applause]

Alex: I love it!

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT'S A FEDERAL HOLIDAY $800: Of the 10 U.S. federal holidays, this one honors the oldest event historically
(Rani: What is Columbus Day?)
(Kellie: What is the 4th of July?)
(Alex: You're gonna be upset with yourselves over this one. "What is [*]?")

IN THE WORLD CAPITAL $600: Plaza de Garibaldi, near the Avenida Juarez
(Evan: What is Rome?)
(Rani: What is Madrid?)
(Kellie: What is Bogotá?)

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT $600: Kelly Clarkson was an "American Idol"; in 2002 Kelly Clark went all the way to Olympic gold in this snow-boarding event

MYSTERY FOLKS $600: "Immortal Beloved" is the only I.D. we have on the woman whom this 19th c. composer called "my angel, my all, my very self"

THE NEW YORK TIMES FOOD $600: (Mark Bittman delivers the clue.) In the Diner's Journal blog, I shared a recipe for this meat "under a brick", a favorite in Italy
(Evan: What is a panini?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Evan: $2,800
Kellie: $2,600
Rani: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLYMOUTH COLONY (4/5)
LIT-TREE-TURE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MEDICAL TALK (2/3)
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
READJUSTED (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a short word that is composed of the letters in "readjusted.")
BEATLE-Y WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rani: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Evan: 9 R, 3 W
Kellie: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rani snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Rani had $8,000, Kellie had $4,200, and Evan was at $7,200. Rani wagered $2,000.

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1200: Truman the Tiger has been this school's mascot since 1984
(Rani: What is Princeton?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kellie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Rani had $6,000, Kellie had $5,400, and Evan was at $8,400. Kellie wagered $2,000.

LIT-TREE-TURE $1600: This self-described "fool" wrote, "a tree that looks at God all day / and lifts her leafy arms to pray"
(Kellie: Who is Wordsworth?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLYMOUTH COLONY $2000: This chief of the Wampanoag Indians signed a peace treaty with the Pilgrims & became a loyal friend
(Evan: Who is Squanto?)

MEDICAL TALK $2000: A little bird told us smoking or dentures can cause this most common fungal infection of the mouth & throat
(Kellie: What is gingivitis?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rani: $9,600
Evan: $7,200
Kellie: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ON THE GLOBE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters (exactly) for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Rani: Wager $4,800. If Evan bets to tie your $0 bet with a wager of $2,400, Evan would fall to $4,800 on a miss, and would beat you out by a dollar if you were to bet to cover and were also stumped.
Evan: If Kellie had less than two-thirds your score, your optimum wager would be $2,400, but you can't let Kellie surpass you. Wager $6,001. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,000 (to shut out Kellie) or less than $2,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Kellie). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Rani.
Kellie: You do have some slim hope of taking 1st place, and it's most likely to happen in the event that you're the only one to respond correctly to Final. Wager between $601 and $6,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 5 named circles of latitude on a standard Earth globe, it's the one with the longest name

FINAL SCORES
Kellie: $6,600 + $6,600 = $13,200 (What is the Tropic of Capricorn?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Evan: $7,200 + $7,200 = $14,400 (What is the Tropic of Capricorn) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rani: $9,600 + $4,801 = $14,401 (What is the Tropic of Capricorn?) (2-day champion: $28,712)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rani: $11,600, 13 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Kellie: $8,600, 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Evan: $8,200, 19 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $28,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Evan: 20/59 = .339
Kellie: 15/59 = .254
Rani: 14/59 = .237
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BEASTLY WORDS & PHRASES $400: This alliterative 2-word term means a haughty attitude; to become less arrogant, you've got to get off it
(Evan: What is your [*]?)

BEASTLY WORDS & PHRASES $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows some clouds on the monitor.) Long, wispy cirrus clouds are sometimes referred to by this name from their resemblance to a certain equine body part
(Evan: What are horse tails?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed before the Double Jeopardy! Round.]

MYSTERY FOLKS $800: On Nov. 24, 1971 the man known as this hijacked a Northwest Airlines flight, parachuting out with 200 grand
(Alex: You're on the plus side again.)
(Rani: Yes!)

MYSTERY FOLKS $1000: Some say Louis de Bourbon, son of Louis XIV, was the prisoner in the Bastille known as this man
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute to go.)

THE NEW YORK TIMES FOOD $200: (Mark Bittman delivers the clue.) In one of my Opinionator pieces, I talked about the dangers of pesticide exposure & a move toward this type of food grown without the use of chemicals

THE NEW YORK TIMES FOOD $400: (Mark Bittman delivers the clue.) At nytimes.com you'll find videos on how to cook a variety of dishes, American & international, like dal tarka, a lentil dish from this country

BEATLE-Y WORDS & PHRASES $800: This "road that leads to your door will never disappear"
(Evan: [no response])

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $800: This Rhode Island school's Van Wickle Gates open twice a year -- inward for incoming freshman and outward for commencement

LIT-TREE-TURE $2000: In "Paradise Lost" it stood in the Garden of Eden "high eminent, blooming ambrosial fruit"
(Evan: What is the Tree of Knowledge?)

MEDICAL TALK $400: During pregnancy, insulin resistance may result in the gestational type of this condition
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute to go.)

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1600: The undergrad school at this Northampton, Mass. college admits only women, but its grad school is coed
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Thanksgiving
Christmas Day
Mexico City
the half-pipe
Ludwig van Beethoven
chicken
the University of Missouri
Joyce Kilmer
Massasoit
thrush
the Tropic of Capricorn
high horse
mares' tails
D.B. Cooper
the Man in the Iron Mask
organic
India
the long and winding road
Brown
the Tree of Life
diabetes
Smith
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

On the Globe
Of the 5 named circles of latitude on a standard Earth globe, it's the one with the longest name.

Spoiler
What is the Tropic of Capricorn?

Rani Peffer: $9,600+$4,801=$14,401...now a 2-day champion with $28,712
Evan Voorn: $7,200+$7,200=$14,400
Kellie Herson: $6,600+$6,600=$13,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Two good things about today's game.

We finally had a repeat champion for the first time in over a week.

The players learned their lesson from yesterday and saved the NYT critic category for last.

Other than that......

Oldest event that is a federal holiday.

What is something that happened in 1492?

No.

What is something that happened in 1776?

So how many times did Kellie brush her hair out of her eyes? And why go all in for FJ when her score is above the other players MSBIW score?

They go 0-3 in DDs. Luckily for them, they got a very simple FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That Christmas clue in Federal Holidays was a mean trick.

What was supposed to lead you to Washington over Lincoln? I thought both were Mondays in February.

0/5 in World Capitals and Facts.

4/5 in Beastly Expressions. I had no clue on "goose stepping" though I've heard of it. Just saw no way to get there. Was going to complain that horse's/mare's tail was horrible negbait, but it was overturned.

What was the hint to Beethoven on Mystery Folks for $600? There are lots of 19th Century composers.

====

0/5 in Colleges again.

Wow, $400 is the only one of those Beatles song that I've heard of before. "Rocky Raccoon"? Really?

Precalled Giving Tree in Lit-Tree-Ture. Pleased with a 3/5 there.

$1600 in Readjusted threw me, since I have never heard of a "duster" jacket and WAGged "scrub". I probably could've picked up "ruse" to redeem myself had I not been flustered by that clue.

====

Seriously overthought FJ!, but still got there. Which way is latitude again? Oh yeah, that way. Try "Tropic of Capricorn". Wait, what about Antarctic Circle, how many letters does that have? Ant-arc-tic, 9, Circle, 6, so 15. Had to count it out on my fingers. "Tropic of Capricorn" is… 9, 6, 2, 17. Yeah, Tropic of Capricorn it is. Locked that in about 3/4 of the way through.

====

Four clues unplayed, yet we have a longer credit roll than usual. Explain?
WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 »

Could be off here, but Rani could have gotten herself in trouble with that extra dollar today...
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got the clue about the federal holiday based on the oldest event, but I hesitated ever so slightly because of New Year's Day. Certainly some sort of New Year celebrations are a lot older than Christianity, but I guess not the one that we observe on January 1st. And, come to think of it, New Year's Day isn't obviously based on any specific historical event, the way that Easter and Independence Day and Columbus Day and Veteran's Day and Christmas are.

I said "Horse tails". I also said "Tree of Knowledge" instead of "Tree of Life". I didn't think I knew it; I was just trying to "work it out", which is sometimes advisable for bottom of the board, and sometimes not.

I thought of "Squanto" and "gingivitis" but wasn't confident and didn't say them. I foolishly blurted out "University of South Florida" for USF.

For FJ, the first response that came to my mind was the correct one, so I wrote it down. I then wrote down the word "Antarctic" right below "Capricorn", noticed it was the same length as "Capricorn", meaning that "Tropic OF Capricorn" beats "Antarctic Circle" by two. I then neatly crossed out "Antarctic" with plenty of time to spare.

I had a very tiny sliver of doubt, a voice in my head saying "Are you correctly remembering which is latitude and which is longitude?" But I figured there probably aren't five lines of longitude that have special names. I guess there's the Greenwich Meridian and the International Date Line, both of which have long names. But there wouldn't be five of those things. (And if we want to be super pedantic, I'm guessing the Date Line isn't a line of longitude, because the Date Line isn't straight.)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board. I thought that the $400 and $600 clues were the hardest ones in the "World Capitals" category in the J! round, but other than that the clue values seemed to be more appropriate in this game than what we have seen lately.

I messed up on the "Christmas" clue. I also guessed "Fourth of July." That was one where I needed more time to run through all of the options.

I don't think that I had ever heard of that Native American guy who came up in the $2000 clue in the category on Plymouth colony.

FJ was a super instant get. That wasn't even a study list clue; it was just something that I thought that everyone learned in elementary school.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What was supposed to lead you to Washington over Lincoln? I thought both were Mondays in February.
Officially, it's George Washington's Birthday. It's been called President's Day since it was moved to the Third Monday. The reason to pick Washington is that Lincoln was not usually celebrated in the former Confederacy.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was the hint to Beethoven on Mystery Folks for $600? There are lots of 19th Century composers.
Gary Oldman starred as Beethoven in the movie "Immortal Beloved.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was the hint to Beethoven on Mystery Folks for $600? There are lots of 19th Century composers.
Gary Oldman starred as Beethoven in the movie "Immortal Beloved.
I literally just remembered this a minute ago, about 40 minutes after tonight's show ended for me. I missed that clue when watching.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

WJMorris3 wrote:Could be off here, but Rani could have gotten herself in trouble with that extra dollar today...
I'm not exactly sure what you're going for here, but this would be my best guess:
Rani 9600
Evan 7200
Kellie 6600

Evan has exactly 3/4 of Rani's score, so he could bet 2400 to give him 9600 on a get, tying him with Rani if she for some reason bets 0. If Rani bets 4801 and is wrong, she drops to 4799, while Evan drops to 4800 on a miss, and wins by a dollar. In a two-player final, this would be a valid strategy, but in this case, the position of the 3rd place player makes a 2400 bet from Evan inadvisable. If he bets 2400, he risks being passed by Kellie, so in all likelihood, he's going to bet at least 6001, so Rani adding the extra dollar really doesn't present much risk for her.

The one bet that could have been improved upon was Kellie's. In most cases, the only way she can win is if both Rani and Evan miss FJ, so her best bet is to bet small enough to have the most left on a triple stumper. If she bets anywhere between 0 and 1800, she wins on a triple stumper.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

My first thought on that "Tiger" Daily Double was that it was nasty, nasty, nasty.
How does one pick from Auburn, Grambling, Jackson State, Princeton, Clemson, Memphis St, Towson St and (the intended) Missouri? (Not to mention some I've probably forgotten.) I was a going to aim this post at the writers for one purpose: to give'm hell. Then I realized, yeah, there was a TOM in there. Oops.
Were it my DD, I am almost positive it would've sneaked by me. Category being what it was, I'd've probably been all in. Then I could've "if only-ed!" the rest of my life.

Not an instaget FJ, but an insta-choice. Little fingerwork led me to the same conclusion TPH had.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woo hoo! Van Wickle Gates!

The only thing that had me worried about FJ was Antarctic Circle, but that's 15. I didn't bother counting it out at the time. Seemed like pretty easy boards generally.

Alex really got a chuckle out of Rani's comment. Not as much as when he was so insensitive, however.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

WJMorris3 wrote:Could be off here, but Rani could have gotten herself in trouble with that extra dollar today...
You can always get yourself into trouble with that extra dollar. Today was just a little more likely than usual.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:My first thought on that "Tiger" Daily Double was that it was nasty, nasty, nasty.
How does one pick from Auburn, Grambling, Jackson State, Princeton, Clemson, Memphis St, Towson St and (the intended) Missouri? (Not to mention some I've probably forgotten.) I was a going to aim this post at the writers for one purpose: to give'm hell. Then I realized, yeah, there was a TOM in there. Oops.
Were it my DD, I am almost positive it would've sneaked by me. Category being what it was, I'd've probably been all in. Then I could've "if only-ed!" the rest of my life.

Not an instaget FJ, but an insta-choice. Little fingerwork led me to the same conclusion TPH had.
I'd heard the little nugget about Missouri's mascot before, not sure if I'd have puzzled it out in time.

For FJ, I came up with Capricorn right away and wrote it down. Then I wrote down Antarctic Circle and counted them out and then crossed out Antarctic circle.
markmcsw
Contributor

Post by markmcsw »

Am I the only one who heard "D.D. Cooper" instead of "D.B. Cooper"?
alamble

Post by alamble »

Paucle wrote:My first thought on that "Tiger" Daily Double was that it was nasty, nasty, nasty.
How does one pick from Auburn, Grambling, Jackson State, Princeton, Clemson, Memphis St, Towson St and (the intended) Missouri? (Not to mention some I've probably forgotten.)
LSU, among others. Technically, we've had the Tiger mascot for quite some time; he just didn't have an actual name until '84.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I was a going to aim this post at the writers for one purpose: to give'm hell.
As in "Give'm Hell Harry?" :mrgreen:

Would they have accepted a pronunciation of "fibro-my-al-gee-uh?" Yes, it adds a syllable, but can't you still pronounce it that way without changing the spelling?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Columbus Day for me on one of those where you don't want to be first in. The 4th of July rebound had me laughing as well as the red across the board until they turned things around.

If Evan had become a long-running champ to greater fame it looked like Stefan could have had a Halloween costume with little effort.

The archive shows three prior clues asking for Massosoit always bottom of the category. Two times it was a TS with Squanto guessed incorrectly. The correct hit was by Liz Murphy. It was a chicken stumper for me too scared to guess him.

Tropic of Capricorn was my initial instinct for longest name, but on the back of yesterday's scoresheet I wrote Antarctic Circle to count letters and be sure. It's on the easy side for regular play and I think it should have been held for the Teacher's Tournament. Not that Rani is complaining. That is what you want to see with the lead.

Kellie could have had the lead, but Joyce Kilmer got her on the missed DD. Too bad as he was a precall off the category.

Immortal Beloved as a stumper had my eyebrows raised, but since its 1994 time it's not really a movie that comes up much. The previous archive hit is 2010.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

markmcsw wrote:Am I the only one who heard "D.D. Cooper" instead of "D.B. Cooper"?
me too or something like that, didi