Think Different 168: Miscellaneous

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mujason
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mujason »

Here's a quiz with a healthy variety of questions and answers. Enjoy!

Here are the rules: (slightly modified from Creed's previous TD)

1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The deadline for submission is 5:00 p.m. central time Monday, November 18.

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2.
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may drop one question by listing DROP instead of an answer. Not surprisingly, the DROP option gives you a score of zero points for that question.

5. You may also pick the SHEEP option for one question. For that question, you will automatically get the sheep score (but the SHEEP option won't count towards how many people said the real sheep answer). Also, if SHEEP and/or DROP is the most popular answer, the SHEEP score will still be the real sheep (i.e. the most popular real answer, not SHEEP or DROP).

6. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

7. The first tiebreaker will be the score before the bonus questions, then the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

8. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

Good Luck!
-Jason
mujason

Re: Think Different 168: Miscellaneous

Post by mujason »

The Questions:

1. Name one of the seven title destinations for Bob Hope and Bing Crosby in the "Road" movies OR one of the seven title destinations in the "Family Guy" "Road" episodes. (14 total possible answers)

2. Choose one of the following song lyrics and name the song it is from. (Each choice is from a song that has been in the Billboard top ten this year).
A: What rhymes with hug me?
B: We crave a different kind of buzz.
C: Some of us just like to read.
D: My posse's been on Broadway, and we did it our way.
E: I crashed my car into the bridge.
F: We've come too far to give up who we are.
G: If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy?
H: In this brand new Chevy with a lift kit.
I: We're gonna rock this house until we knock it down.
J: I'm breathing in the chemicals.

3. Name a US President, US Vice President, or US Secretary of State who has won the Nobel Peace Prize (can have won before, during, or after having been in office). (11 possible answers)

4. Name a chemical element whose first letter is different than the first or only letter of its chemical symbol. (10 possible answers)

5. Name a team to have made at least one of the last five Final Fours (NCAA men's Division I). (15 possible answers)

6. There are 14 countries that border China. Name a national capital of one of those countries. (14 possible answers, of course)

7. Name someone who has won at least one of the last five GUEST acting Emmys in any of the following categories: Drama Actor, Drama Actress, Comedy Actor, Comedy Actress. (19 possible answers)

8. Name an original member of the Warsaw Pact. (8 possible answers)

9. Name one of the twelve labors of Hercules. (12 possible answers, obviously)

10. Chose one of the following 12 pairs of champions and match that pair to its championship activity.
A. Dan Feyer and Ellen Ripstein
B. Ruben Limardo and Mariel Zagunis
C. Jose Capablanca and Tigran Petrosian
D. Adrien Broner and Gennady Golovkin
E. Fred Jones and Jeremy Evans
F. Nigel Richards and Brian Cappelletto
G. Julia Mancuso and Didier Defago
H. Chris Shivers and Silvano Alves
I. Laura Davies and Suzann Pettersen
J. Steven Lopez and Hwang Kyung-Seon
K. Kim Rhode and Jin Jong-oh
L. Thomas Snyder and Jan Mrozowski

Tae Kwon Do
Boxing
Golf
Chess
Crossword Puzzles
Fencing
Skiing
Scrabble
NBA Slam Dunk Contest
Shooting
Sudoku
Bull Riding

11. Name a film directed by Ridley Scott ("Exodus" doesn't count as it's not coming out until 2014). (21 possible answers)

12. Name a Mersenne prime or a perfect number under one hundred million. (7 primes and 5 perfect numbers, so 12 possible answers)

13. Name a Taylor Swift song or album that won a Grammy, CMA Award, ACM Award, MTV VMA, or CMT Music Award, or topped the Billboard Hot 100 songs or Top 200 albums. (To keep the list at Swift's lucky thirteen, "Highway Don't Care," which is an award-winning Tim McGraw song featuring Swift, won't count.) (13 possible answers)

14. Name someone who has won multiple Pulitzer Prizes in Fiction, Poetry, and/or Drama. (The prizes can be in one or more of those three categories.) (16 possible answers)

15. Give the correct response to a Final Jeopardy used in the in second and deciding game of a Tournament of Champions final. (TOC only; no Ultimate Tournament of Champions, International tournaments, or reunion/super tournaments). Also, some Finals require x out of y possible answers. You only need to list x answers and not all y; however, all subsets from the same Final will count as the same entry for scoring purposes. (24 possible answers)

BONUS Questions: (one point subtracted from total score for each correct bonus; no penalty for incorrect answers). Each bonus is a subset of a previous question.

BONUS 1. Name one of the five teams to have made two Final Fours (NCAA Men's Division I) in the last five years.

BONUS 2. Name one of the three people to have won a Pulitzer Prize in two of these three categories: fiction, poetry, drama.

BONUS 3. Name the only two-time guest acting Emmy winner in the last five years.
-Jason
mujason

Post by mujason »

Final list of participants: (42)

StevenH
ElendilPickle
MarkBarrett
geolawyerman
gamawire
jpahk
lillypie82
PowerofHoodoo
UniquePerspective
ihavejeprosy
Vanya
Volante
ClammyJim
Lumosityfan
DadofTwins
dhkendall
Turd Ferguson
Rackme32
econgator
teapot37
amorris525
Magna
Paucle
Sherm
jkbrat
mitchparov
waterloo_guy
goforthetie
Bamaman
Peggles
RandyG
jeffwolfe
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Woppy T
kettledrum
BigDaddyJ
jeff6286
crazymatt1
Woof
cheezguyty
debramc
Leander
Last edited by mujason on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 14 times in total.
-Jason
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Whoa, these are pretty tough.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

goforthetie wrote:Whoa, these are pretty tough.
Heh, this is the first one that I have entered in a very long time, because there are several questions I like. One of these questions I actually used in the very first TD that I ran. I will admit that there are 3 or 4 questions in this set that I have no answer for and had to guess, drop, or sheep.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

These were pretty difficult. I guessed for three and am not completely certain about two others, and used my drop and sheep on two more.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

StevenH wrote:
goforthetie wrote:Whoa, these are pretty tough.
Heh, this is the first one that I have entered in a very long time, because there are several questions I like. One of these questions I actually used in the very first TD that I ran. I will admit that there are 3 or 4 questions in this set that I have no answer for and had to guess, drop, or sheep.
I think it's a great mix of questions; easier, very difficult, and questions I have used in one of my TDs as well. All the bases are covered and I look forward to playing!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Not saying it won't still be fun - it looks well-planned and I look forward to entering. It's just been a while since I drew blanks on a couple questions, and here I am almost certain I'll have to guess wildly on at least 4. A fifth took a long time to get to a 90% certain answer, and a couple more I know but only by pretty unusual means.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:Not saying it won't still be fun - it looks well-planned and I look forward to entering. It's just been a while since I drew blanks on a couple questions, and here I am almost certain I'll have to guess wildly on at least 4. A fifth took a long time to get to a 90% certain answer, and a couple more I know but only by pretty unusual means.
*nod* I have zero chance of winning, as there are 4 questions I have absolutely no answer for, but I'll enter anyway and sink straight to the bottom.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:
goforthetie wrote:Not saying it won't still be fun - it looks well-planned and I look forward to entering. It's just been a while since I drew blanks on a couple questions, and here I am almost certain I'll have to guess wildly on at least 4. A fifth took a long time to get to a 90% certain answer, and a couple more I know but only by pretty unusual means.
*nod* I have zero chance of winning, as there are 4 questions I have absolutely no answer for, but I'll enter anyway and sink straight to the bottom.
Looking at the questions, the bottom might be pretty crowded.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

That question just got about 5 songs stuck in my head.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

1. Never seen any of the movies, but have a decent guess
2. If the song hit the charts this year, then I have never heard of it.
3. No problem
4. No problem
5. No problem
6. No problem, but will likely sheep
7. No chance
8. Hopefully won't pick one added later
9. Can name one or two, hopefully host will be lenient in my description
10. I am familiar with two of these, unfortunately, both play the same "sport", so i only have one answer
11. Ridley who?
12. I like math, but have never heard of that kind of prime number
13. Nope
14. Multiple winner? Good luck there.
15. I can pull out one or two.

See you guys at the bottom of the score sheet.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This is what's called a "race to the bottom." But I'll be there bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

.... and I actually know what Mersenne primes and perfect numbers are, though the only ones that come to mind are greater than one hundred million. Darn!
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

mujason wrote:15. Give the correct response to a Final Jeopardy used in the in second and deciding game of a Tournament of Champions final.
One could argue that in the 2011 TOC, the second game was not the deciding game :lol:
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

I wasn't planning on entering since there are 5 that I have no clue on off the bat (although I'm hoping I might be able to come up with a guess for a few if I think about it long enough), but since that seems to put me in good company, perhaps I'll give it a go.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Magna wrote:
econgator wrote:
Looking at the questions, the bottom might be pretty crowded.
Welp, there goes the neighbourhood. I liked having the bottom to myself. Maybe y'all will push me to the top but I doubt it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I'll be giving you and some others plenty of company at the bottom. I've got three that I think I have decent guess at and three that I'm pretty much clueless.

The killer is number 15 (third of the clueless three), and I'm racking my brain. I've really only followed the show for a little over three years, so I've really followed three ToC's. It's crazy that I can remember the semifinal answers for Kristin Morgan and Colby Burnett (I even remember DrJ. saying they stopped the show for a while to look at her answer on here), but am drawing a complete blank on both ToC Final FJ's. Why I can remember the FJ for Joon in his ToC quarterfinal win and semi loss, and yet cannot come with anything for either final with Craig, Nissley and Wright is like a mystery of the mind? I do remember a FJ question with Stephen and Vijay, but am 99.9% sure it was the first game and not the second. Prior to seeing this I probably spent 2 hours this week looking up info on past champions, almost all from the UToC. I've probably looked at upwards of 50 or 60 FJ's, and can recall a half dozen or so, but I can't tell you if they were from the UToC (most likely), superjeopardy, or a yearly ToC, and it's bugging me to no end.

I hate these questions. :x
Last edited by Sherm on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Sherm wrote:I can remember the FJ for Joon [in] his ToC quarterfinal win and semi loss
me too.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

jpahk wrote:
Sherm wrote:I can remember the FJ for Joon [in] his ToC quarterfinal win and semi loss
me too.
Just my opinion, but I can see why that might be just a bit easier for you than me. :D
mujason

Post by mujason »

With just over a week to go, there are 15 entries. Still plenty of good answers left for those wanting to enter. Join in!
-Jason