Friday, November 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6705, 2013-11-08

Rani Peffer game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Vimal Murthy, a burn and wound surgeon from Redondo Beach, California
Amanda DeMeola, an attorney from Brooklyn, New York
Rani Peffer, a corporate finance manager from Crittenden, Kentucky (whose 3-day cash winnings total $41,135)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Thank you. Hi, everyone, and welcome to our show. A lot of people ask me, "What do you and the contestants talk about at the end of each program while the credits are rolling by on the screen?" Well, in our first conversation after the first commercial break, I'll tell you what our champion, Rani, and I have talked about on a couple of the programs so far. But meanwhile, Amanda and Vimal, welcome and good luck. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN POETRY (2/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DEPARTMENT STORES (4/5)
"LEAD" THE WAY (5/5)
CARTOGRAPHIC ABBREVIATIONS (4/5)
THE OSCAR-WINNING ROLE (5/5)
SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rani: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Amanda: 7 R, 0 W
Vimal: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Vimal: $3,200
Rani: $3,000
Amanda: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Vimal Murthy is not only a burn and wound surgeon, He's also a bit of a magician, and where do you get to practice your magic?

Vimal: Well, principally, for our kids. I mean, they get burned, and, you know, you have to distract them from their pain, and so--I got to tell you, though, by no means am I a master illusionist. But thankfully, kids are very reasonable. They're not like, "Oh, he's palming it. He's palming it," or, "There's a secret compartment, half red, half black."

[Laughter]

Vimal: Of course, I'm not really making a quarter disappear, but they seem to buy it. That's good enough for me.

Alex: There's a lot of pain associated with burn wounds, as you know, particularly with the children, and if you can do anything to cheer them up and take their mind off that pain, that's a good thing.

Vimal: Oh, you bet ya.

Alex: Way to go.

Vimal: Thank you.

Alex: All right, Amanda Demeola from Brooklyn, New York, is an attorney who has a collection that I can't believe. What is it?

Amanda: Yes, I own over 500 cast albums of musicals.

Alex: 500?! I didn't know there were 500 different musicals out there.

Amanda: Yes, yes. Some of them are Broadway shows, some off-Broadway, and I have multiple different versions of the same shows.

Alex: Of all the 500 albums--

Amanda: Mm-hm?

Alex: --which one's your favorite?

Amanda: I really like the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals. Oklahoma!, The Sound of Music, The King and I--those are my favorites.

Alex: The traditional ones.

Amanda: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Now, Rani, I mentioned off the top of the program that you and I have talked at the end of each show. She has won money. Because she's a financial advisor, she was talking to me about breaking it down, saying, "Wait a minute. I'm earning $28,000 an hour. If I extrapolate this over a whole year, this is what I could wind up doing." You can't get away from finance, can you?

Rani: I really can't. It's in every fiber of my being.

Alex: Did you set a goal for yourself, a financial goal, as to how much you would like to win as a contestant on our program? Is there a limit?

Rani: There's never a limit, but maybe just enough to buy a small island--maybe a medium-sized island.

[Laughter]

Alex: [Laughing] "Medium-sized island".

Rani: Like Cyprus.

Alex: Like Cyprus? Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rani found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Rani had $5,400, Amanda had $3,800, and Vimal was at $3,600. Rani wagered $800.

AMERICAN POETRY $800: In "Paul Revere's Ride", these 9 words precede "and I on the opposite shore will be"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CARTOGRAPHIC ABBREVIATIONS $600: bsnh refers to a basin collecting the runoff for these, the upper tributaries of a river

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) The name "impala" comes from the language of these people, the single-largest ethnic group of South Africa

DEPARTMENT STORES $1000: In 1923 a certain Mr. Pressman hocked his wife's engagement ring to start this New York department store

AMERICAN POETRY $200: Walt Whitman put this word in a book title & said it grows "among black folks as among white"

AMERICAN POETRY $600: He wrote about the USS Constitution, "The meteor of the ocean air shall sweep the clouds no more"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rani: $6,200
Amanda: $3,800
Vimal: $3,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SWEET 1600s (4/5)
PANTSLESS TV (5/5)
GLASS & GLASSMAKING (2/3)
FILTHY 4-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
IMMIGRANTS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "OL" COUNTRY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vimal: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Amanda: 6 R, 1 W
Rani: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vimal snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Rani had $6,600, Amanda had $3,800, and Vimal was at $6,000. Vimal wagered $3,000.

THE "OL" COUNTRY $2000: This South American country has coasts along both the Atlantic & Pacific Oceans
(Vimal: What is Bolivia?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Vimal who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Rani had $9,000, Amanda had $10,200, and Vimal was at $8,600. Vimal wagered $3,000.

IMMIGRANTS $800: He was California's first foreign born governor since Irishman John Downey, who left office in 1862
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go to deal with this last category.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE "OL" COUNTRY $1600: We sing the song of this island country in the Pacific about 1,000 miles N.E. of Australia--actually, we won't

FILTHY 4-LETTER WORDS $1200: The Earth's surface consisting of disintegrated rock & humus, it also means to sully or tarnish

THE SWEET 1600s $2000: Nicknamed the "Old Lady Of Threadneedle Street", it was founded in London in 1694
(Amanda: What is the London Times?)

IMMIGRANTS $2000: Last name of winemaker Giuseppe, who came from Italy & had a few quarreling sons

IMMIGRANTS $1200: Jose Bosch, who ran this giant Cuban rum concern for 32 years, died in Coral Gables in 1994 at age 95

GLASS & GLASSMAKING $1600: This French city sounds like a lot of paper, but its cathedral has some of the loveliest medieval stained glass
(Rani: What is Chartres?)
(Alex: "What is [*]?" [Spells correct response])
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: Reams of paper.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Vimal: $12,000
Amanda: $10,200
Rani: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OLYMPIC HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First and a half equals second plus third.
Vimal: Wager $8,400--wagering any more risks falling behind Rani's wager of $4,200.
Amanda: You have a choice of wagering $0 (to win on a Triple Stumper), between $5,401 and $6,599 (to win if Vimal is wrong and you are right while still winning on a Triple Stumper if Rani wagers as recommended or higher), or going all-in with a wager of $10,200 for the win or tie if you give the correct response (and provided Vimal is wrong or doesn't wager to cover or wagers less for some obscure reason). Since winning on a Triple Stumper is probably the likeliest of these outcomes, a wager in the $5,401-$6,599 range is best.
Rani: Wagering $4,200 ties Vimal's $0 wager and beats Vimal's standard shutout bet of $8,401 by $1 on the Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In London in 2012, judo & the 800m run included the first female Olympians ever from this Mideastern country

FINAL SCORES
Rani: $7,800 + $7,777 = $15,577 (What is Saudi Arabia?) (41136-day champion: $15,577)
Amanda: $10,200 - $10,200 = $0 (What is Iraq?) (3rd place)
Vimal: $12,000 - $8,401 = $3,599 (What is Afghanistan?) (2nd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Vimal: $12,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Amanda: $10,200, 13 R, 1 W
Rani: $7,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Rani: 18/59 = .305
Vimal: 15/60 = .250
Amanda: 13/58 = .224
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) Warthogs are good fighters--butting heads & then using their tusks, which are actually these teeth also called cuspids in humans

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) Giraffes are well adapted for tearing leaves & young shoots from trees, including a 20-inch grasping tongue that is classified as this, from the Latin for "to seize"

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) The shaggy-maned wildebeest got its name from its wild appearance, but it's also known by this shorter name imitative of the sound it makes

SOUTH AFRICAN WILDLIFE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa.) The hide on a Cape buffalo's neck can reach two inches in thickness, which help males against other aggressive bulls trying to assert this, a type of hierarchy

THE OSCAR-WINNING ROLE $800: 1996:
As Rod Tidwell, he could've said, "Show me the Oscar!"
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

GLASS & GLASSMAKING $400: Nature-produced glass includes fulgurites, slender tubes made by this discharge
(Rani: What is lava?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
"one if by land, and two if by sea"
the headwaters
the Zulu
Barney's
grass
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Colombia
Schwarzenegger
the Solomon Islands
soil
the Bank of England
Gallo
Bacardi
Reims
Saudi Arabia
canines (eye teeth accepted)
prehensile
a gnu
dominance
Cuba Gooding, Jr.
lightning

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Olympic History
In Lonon in 2012, judo & the 800m run included the first female Olympians ever from this mideastern country.

Spoiler
Show
What is Saudi Arabia? Amanda said Iraq; Vimal said Afghanistan

Vimal Murthy: $12,000-$8,401=$3,599
Amanda DeMeola: $10,200-$10,200=$0
Rani Peffer: $7,800+$7,777=$15,577...now a 4-day champion with $56,712

just a bit late here, sorry if anyone was looking for this
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:26 pm

I hope Rani is better at financial planning than she is in planning her wagers. She had a win on a TS locked up if she bets small but luckily for her, she got it right.

Amanda's wager wasn't much better. If she makes the MSB, she is assured of beating Vimal if they are both wrong and can beat Rani if she overbets.

FJ was an educated guess. They seem to be the strictest anti-woman country over there so I went with them, but wasn't 100% certain. I did consider each of the other countries given, however.

And was the Bryan poem a leftover from a Stupid Answers category?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:27 pm

4/5 in "Lead". Never heard of "supplicate".

I can usually do well in animal categories, but I got only $200 there. Didn't think tongues could be prehensile, since I associate that only with tails, and wouldn't have connected it to "seize" even if I had heard that part of the word. Blanked on gnu. No chance on Dominance or Zulu.

Department Store was a wheelhouse, but I still whiffed on Barneys New York because it was too far back in the memory banks, and I couldn't get Lord & Taylor out of my head.

Not surprised by the 0/5 in Oscar. Gordon Gekko seemed undervalued at $200. NHO that character or film. I did know Heath Ledger/Joker at least.

====

Colombia was easy to overthink on the "OL" DD. I was stuck in Chile and couldn't even get as far as Bolivia.

Ran Filthy 4 Letter Words, and missed only Fawlty Towers in Pantsless TV.

Should I know David Ho? That seemed undervalued at $400. 1996 seemed too late for AIDS research to me. Could've been anything. Tornado and Gallo were much easier, and Ahnold totally slipped my mind on the DD.

0/3 in Glass. What led to "lightning" on $400? That seemed opaque too.

The CC on Glass for $1600 said "it's" instead of "its", and I believe "Columbia" for "Colombia" too. Oops.

====

Had FJ! marked down as a miss before the clue even came up.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:28 pm

I went to Iraq on FJ. Oh well.

Golf

Post by Golf » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Chances of two women making rational FJ wagers from 2nd and 3rd place in a sports category? Odds do not look good.

Personally, I thought the FJ clue was a pile of crap.

While the champ isn't a world beater, you gotta like her attitude.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Well, this is something I happened to know so I got it. I think Qatar debuted women in 2012 too. However I can understand why someone would pick Iraq or Afghanistan, which is to say it is a terrible question. I don't know what is up but the FJ question writing has been total garbage lately.

Rani is extremely fortunate to be a four-day champ.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:57 pm

ALex didn't mention she'll be back in two weeks on 11/25 because of the Teacher's tourney.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:58 pm

I gotta get my brain checked out. For some reason, I translated the FJ year as 1912, not 2012. Was wondering if Palestine had an Olympic team then.

Then I realized the error, and came up with the correct response.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:08 pm

I didn't really like this board. There were quite a few clues that I felt needed more TOM.

I was pleasantly surprised to go 4/5 in the movie roles category that was in the J! round. Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch was way overvalued at $1000. I also couldn't believe that the Colombia DD was valued at $2000..and the contestant who uncovered it missed it.

It was funny to see the Immigrants category come up in DJ, when I had been kicking myself for the miss on the Nordstrom clue that mentioned that it was founded by an immigrant.

My first instinct on FJ was Isreal, then I thought of Iraq and the whole invasion thing and that seemed like a plausible guess, although 2008 would seem more like the appropriate Olympic year for that. I actually did consider Saudi Arabia, thinking that it was the country that was most notable for being anti-woman, but I figured that it probably wasn't worse than a lot of other countries in that regard and that wouldn't be a good enough TOM. I should have known better on that last point, but I stuck with Iraq.

I have enjoyed watching Rani, but yeah, I wouldn't bet on her in the ToC. I do think that she would have had a good chance of being picked for the Decades Tournament, provided that she gets a ToC spot.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Bamaman wrote:FJ was an educated guess. They seem to be the strictest anti-woman country over there so I went with them, but wasn't 100% certain. I did consider each of the other countries given, however.

And was the Bryan poem a leftover from a Stupid Answers category?
Same here on FJ.

I wonder if Alex would have asked for a BMS if someone had just answered "Who is Bryan?"

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Golf wrote:Chances of two women making rational FJ wagers from 2nd and 3rd place in a sports category? Odds do not look good.
Well, a category you don't like (though they may both be huge sports fans for all we know) might be good reason to bet more Venusian. Although this really wasn't a sports knowledge clue as it was trying to guess which one would not allow women to compete.
StevenH wrote: I was pleasantly surprised to go 4/5 in the movie roles category that was in the J! round. Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch was way overvalued at $1000. I also couldn't believe that the Colombia DD was valued at $2000..and the contestant who uncovered it missed it.
Somehow I went 5/5 in Oscars, a rare feat for me. I agree Peck had no business in the bottom row. I think it would have been an easy get on Teen Week, as many may have seen the movie in English class if they read the book.

I got Colombia, glad I didn't think of Bolivia.
I have enjoyed watching Rani, but yeah, I wouldn't bet on her in the ToC. I do think that she would have had a good chance of being picked for the Decades Tournament, provided that she gets a ToC spot.
Right now she has $56,000 and four wins and is in 9th place in the standings, third of three four time champs. Her big problem is that with there is a long lag between TOCs. We already have one college champ and will have a teacher champ in two weeks. There will likely be another college champ before then as well. That leaves at most 12 regular players, assuming there are no more special tournaments.

She really needs to win Monday to get that fifth win. This was her strongest competition to date and she was in third going into FJ.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:02 pm

legendneverdies wrote:ALex didn't mention she'll be back in two weeks on 11/25 because of the Teacher's tourney.
Not necessarily; tournaments have been starting on Wednesdays to end on Tuesdays often the past few years. And given that November sweeps ends on Tuesday, the 26th, it's very likely that is the case here.

Bolivia? Not only does it not have both Atlantic and Pacific coasts, it's almost Pavlovian as one of only two landlocked nations in the Western Hemisphere.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

Golf

Post by Golf » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:46 pm

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote: Bolivia? Not only does it not have both Atlantic and Pacific coasts, it's almost Pavlovian as one of only two landlocked nations in the Western Hemisphere.
Sure, but chances are if you know your landlocked countries you also know Colombia sits on both oceans.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:48 pm

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:ALex didn't mention she'll be back in two weeks on 11/25 because of the Teacher's tourney.
Not necessarily; tournaments have been starting on Wednesdays to end on Tuesdays often the past few years. And given that November sweeps ends on Tuesday, the 26th, it's very likely that is the case here.
A press release from CBS Television Distribution, dated October 21st, says it airs 11/11-11/22, as did an article about a Wyoming teacher who'll be in the tourney, so we'll see what airs on MOnday.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Golf wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote: Bolivia? Not only does it not have both Atlantic and Pacific coasts, it's almost Pavlovian as one of only two landlocked nations in the Western Hemisphere.
Sure, but chances are if you know your landlocked countries you also know Colombia sits on both oceans.
And of course being spotted the OL helped, but Bolivia was pre-called by me as a response in that category before the DD came up. He might have known Bolivia as a South American country with OL and thought of it before Colombia.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:50 pm

The Bacardi TS drove me batty.
OCSam

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Yeah, I didn't really care for the J board much, either, though DJ did treat me better. Colombia was an easy get on the DD: where else can a single country span both coasts except at the two ends of the continent (it also helped that I knew that Bolivia was landlocked). FJ was an instaget, too. I think that that factoid was in the back of my mind.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 pm

It looked like a stop tape for the unanticipated eye tooth for canine clue.

Filthy 4-Letter Words $2000: From the Middle English for "to smoke", it means to smell strongly & unpleasantly; you totally this, man!

I had to take the neg with my ebonics interpretation of the clue in guessing "rank" instead or reek.

With a streak of 7 FJ! clues in a row correct Olympic History would be near the top of the list for what I want to see to make it to 8. It got enough coverage and was not that long ago that it was not a guess for me.

What's funnier was the precall game. I was blanking on the Soviet city that will host next year. The only thing coming to me was Moshi and I knew that was off. After the game Sochi was right there when I thought about it. Since the category was about history I knew it was not going to be about the upcoming Winter Games.

I thought perhaps the clue would be the year that had both Summer and Winter games.

Rani had a nice lead for part of the game then slipped to third position. Her sole solve was nice for her, but I suspect there were a few unhappy 3-time champ viewers tonight.

TOC positions including future spots:
C
C
T
#12. Rani (Uh yeah, she might want to win her next game.)