FJs for the 11/4/13 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 11/4/13 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:01 pm

This soft drink was named for a digestive enzyme & a native African plant
77%
Sasha & Malia Obama are the first presidential children who were not old enough to vote for dad since this one
73%
Of the 5 named circles of latitude on a standard Earth globe, it's the one with the longest name
98%
The "Gossip Girl" series of books was inspired by this Pulitzer Prize-winning novel also set in NYC but 120 years earlier
23%
In London in 2012, judo & the 800m run included the first female Olympians ever from this Mideastern country
65%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
THE NEW YORK TIME THEATRE $400: Based on a movie, this musical about an Irish guy & a Czech girl uses song & dance in a way I've never experienced in an American musical: to convey a beautiful shimmer of might-have-been regret
34%
MYSTERY FOLKS $1000: Some say Louis de Bourbon, son of Louis XIV, was the prisoner in the Bastille known as this man
72%
HODGEPODGE $1000: The monolith that Aborigines call Uluru was named this by surveyor William Gosse
81%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Coca-Cola.
13%
My incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue was Amy Carter.
18%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Afghanistan.
4%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Iran.
12%
My incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue was Iraq.
10%

Total votes: 113

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 11/4/13 week

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Damn! Lost a perfect week to a brain fart...knew immediately the book being referred to but the Wharton book that Scorsese made a movie of was as close as I could come to the title...
Saudi Arabia, always a theocracy, seemed a safe guess...
Am I the only poster who's actually seen Once? Anyone who's in the NY area has seen the ubiquitous TV commercials (even during J!, I think...)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote:Am I the only poster who's actually seen Once?
Haven't seen the show, but have seen the movie.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
davey wrote:Am I the only poster who's actually seen Once?
Haven't seen the show, but have seen the movie.
How many times?
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Surprisingly, I have no bones to pick with this week's questions. :lol:

M: Pepsin -> Pepsi

T: Knew Chelsea Clinton was underage in the White House because of the controversy over whether or not she was "fair game" for news coverage, and whether this would change once she became an adult.

W: 98%? Really, writers?

Th: Read the book, saw the movie. No actual knowledge of "Gossip Girl" was required beyond the given title, though I can sympathize with anyone tempted by the House of Mirth option.

F: Thought I remembered reading that fact somewhere and Saudi Arabia is always the (don't-) go-to country for women's repression issues, but it still could have been a trick(y) question with a surprise explanation (AT: "Oh, I thought someone might guess Saudi Arabia, but they actually still haven't let any women compete. Maybe next Olympics"). Got lucky that it indeed turned out to be the most obvious of the handful of likely candidates.

I remember reading about the movie "Once" when it came out (2007). Reviews were great, and it sounded like something I would like (a guy, a girl, a guitar, and Ireland). Put it on my List of Movies to See. And, six years later, there it still sits. But, being the eternal optimist, I just know that one day I will get around to seeing it. But, until I do (perhaps well into the next decade), NO SPOILERS, PLEASE!!!!!!! :lol:

ETF typo
Last edited by jkbrat on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Joining the crowd...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I watched the opening of the London Olympics which I usually skip & they mentioned something about SA finally having women on their team. Iran under the Shah & Iraq under So Damn Insane allowed women to compete.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Coca-Cola and Vanity Fair were the only answers that came to mind Monday and Thursday. Wasn't thrilled with either (In particular, I was reasonably sure VF was set in England).
Friday I couldn't decide between Iraq, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. Went with Iraq, thinking it might have reflected the regime change.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
Went to Amy Carter and didn't think hard enough about other responses.
Made guesses on Thursday and Friday which I was pretty sure were wrong--Breakfast at Tiffany's and Libya.
I saw Once on Broadway last year so I didn't have much trouble with that. (Never saw the original indie movie, though.)
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Amy Carter, Iraq, not even a clue on Once or Edith Wharton.

I thought of Chelsea first but thought she was over 18 for the second term.
I remember the Olympics story, and really thought it was Iraq. Maddeningly I probably would have put Saudi Arabia had it been a total guess.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guessed "The Alienist" on the Gossip Girl clue. I thought I recalled that the show is narrated by a dead girl, or some such spooky thing, and "Alienist" seems kind of spooky too. Also, I didn't know Gossip Girl was set other than in the 2010's, so the arithmetic sounded ok. Also, Caleb Carr is Lucien's son, and there is a new movie out about Lucien.

I was sure Chelsea was still too young to vote in 1996, because I recall the heat SNL took about ridiculing the appearance of a 13-year old girl shortly after Dad took office.
I'm smart and I want respect.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Lefty wrote:I guessed "The Alienist" on the Gossip Girl clue. I thought I recalled that the show is narrated by a dead girl, or some such spooky thing, and "Alienist" seems kind of spooky too. Also, I didn't know Gossip Girl was set other than in the 2010's, so the arithmetic sounded ok. Also, Caleb Carr is Lucien's son, and there is a new movie out about Lucien.

I was sure Chelsea was still too young to vote in 1996, because I recall the heat SNL took about ridiculing the appearance of a 13-year old girl shortly after Dad took office.
"Alienist" is the old-timey word for psychologist. (As I recall, it's a detective novel about a serial killer in New York City in the late 19th century - I remember Teddy Roosevelt was still police commissioner in the book.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And Netflix is delivering The Age of Innocence Wednesday... two weeks too late...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(
Coke and Amy Carter....both from Georgia

For the season:
20-20
Longest FJ winning streak: 3 (active 1)
Longest FJ losing streak: 3
5/5: 0
4/5: 0
3/5: 4
2/5: 4
1/5: 0
0/5: 0
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:( :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D

I was gone for a week due to an annual business retreat. This may account for my completely blanking on Pepsi-Cola.

Am I the only person here who first learned of the existence of the cola nut from this commercial?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Breakdown: FJs for the 11/4/13 week

Post by OrangeSAM »

Breakdown of board scores

After 104 respondents:

:mrgreen: 16 got all 5 FJ!s
;) 35 got 4 FJ!s
:) 28 got 3 FJ!s
:( 20 got 2 FJ!s
:oops: 5 got 1 FJ!
:eek: 0 got 0 FJ!s

Average: 3.36 FJ!s correct.

As for me: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: / :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never heard of that movie/musical.
OCSam