Thursday, November 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6709, 2013-11-14

2013 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
John Pearson, a math teacher from Richardson, Texas
Maryanne Lewell, a history teacher from Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Becky Giardina, a social studies teacher from Martinez, Georgia

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the fourth of our quarterfinal matches. There are a number of people in our studio audience today who are here to cheer for their favorite teacher. And not to be outdone, there are some who are here today to cheer for me. [ laughter ] Becky, Maryanne, and John, welcome.
Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. Categories --let's take a look.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANNUAL EVENTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COLOR TV (5/5)
CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY (5/5)
U.S. HISTORY: THE FIRST 100 YEARS (4/5)
FROM THE BRITISH MONARCHY'S WEBSITE (5/5)
SPANISH CLASS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Maryanne: 8 R, 1 W
Becky: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Becky was in the hole with -$600, Maryanne was in the red with -$600, and John was at $6,000. John wagered $2,000.

ANNUAL EVENTS $600: This holiday falls on what was once the last day of the Celtic year when ghosts of the dead returned to Earth

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $7,400
Becky: $200
Maryanne: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Those were some of the 4th-grade math students at Austin Elementary. John Pearson obviously lives by the rule "take no prisoners." You made only one mistake
so far on the program. You're ready.

John: I am.

Alex: You're loaded. You're gonna do it, huh?

John: Doing my best. Yeah.

Alex: Are you a longtime Jeopardy! fan, or did you come to us in recent years?

John: I've been watching for decades. I can't remember exactly when we first started watching. I just know my family and I used to sit around the dinner table watching it.
At least 30 years.

Alex: And you're the best player in your family, I take it.

John: Not really.

Alex: No?!

John: No.

Alex: Oh, gosh.

John: My mom and dad get clues that I can't get.

Alex: Tell them to try out, please. That would be fun.

Alex: All right, Maryanne Lewell from Saint John, New Brunswick.

Maryanne: Indeed.

Alex: Been there. Now, I understand that some of your students have done projects on me?

Maryanne: That is true. Every year, I teach social studies 9, which is about Canadian identity, and they have to choose a great Canadian, and often they'll choose somebody of import in the world. They've chosen people like Jim Carrey or William Shatner or Alex Trebek, and you're not even a hockey player.

Alex: Uh-huh. Right. [ laughter ] Now, say the word "a-b-o-u-t" one more time?

Maryanne: About.

Alex: Thank you. [ laughter ] She cleaned it up for that one.

Alex: Becky Giardina from Martinez, Georgia. We love it when we've had an effect on the students. Now, some of the students write you notes. There was one that was a little...different.

Becky: Yes.

Alex: Caught you by surprise. [ laughs ]

Becky: The note started out, "I will always love and miss my second-favorite teacher."
So at least I know where I stand. [ laughter ]

Alex: And who was her favorite?

Becky: I didn't ask.

Alex: Oh, good for you. Very diplomatic of you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
U.S. HISTORY: THE FIRST 100 YEARS $600: In the first census, 1790, New York was America's largest city & this was the most populous state
(Maryanne: What is Massachusetts?)
(Becky: What is Pennsylvania?)

SPANISH CLASS $800: This means a race; this "de toros" means a bullfight

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $9,800
Maryanne: $5,000
Becky: $1,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AN APP FOR TEACHER (4/5)
PLANT SCIENCE (4/5)
I RESIGN! (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SHAKESPEAREAN DIALOGUE, HO! (5/5) (Alex: Name the play.)
POP GOES THE MUSIC (4/5)
IT ENDS WITH "U" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 13 R, 2 W
Becky: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Maryanne: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Maryanne snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Becky had $1,600, Maryanne had $8,600, and John was at $11,400. Maryanne wagered $2,000.

I RESIGN! $1600: In 2013 the chairman of this food company chicken-tendered his resignation as a Univ. of Arkansas trustee
(Maryanne: What is Chick-fil-A?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Becky who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Becky had $4,400, Maryanne had $6,600, and John was at $13,800. Becky made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,400.

IT ENDS WITH "U" $1200: Hastily prepared or improvised

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I RESIGN! $1200: Scandal in D.C.! The "Petticoat Affair" led to the resignation of this veep in 1832

PLANT SCIENCE $800: This tall perennial grass, Saccharum officinarum, needs up to 120 inches of rain a year
(John: What is bamboo?)

I RESIGN! $2000: This British Tory government minister's 1961 "affair" with a young woman led to his resignation

POP GOES THE MUSIC $1600: Ho hey, cello player Neyla Pekarek is one of the bright lights of this band & its only female member

AN APP FOR TEACHER $2000: The frog dissection app is not as icky as its forebears & won an award for this moral type of "science" that doesn't cause pain

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $22,600 (lock game)
Becky: $10,800
Maryanne: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SYMBOLS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
John: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Becky: Wager $8,001 to cover Maryanne.
Maryanne: Risk between $1,401 and $6,600, covering Becky's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One legend says Clovis, king of the Franks, adopted this symbol after flowers revealed a safe river crossing for his army

FINAL SCORES
Maryanne: $9,400 + $9,400 = $18,800 (What is the fleur de lis?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Becky: $10,800 + $8,001 = $18,801 (What is the fleur de lis?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
John: $22,600 + $0 = $22,600 (What is a fleur de leis?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $21,200, 30 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Maryanne: $11,400, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Becky: $7,600, 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 31/59 = .525
Maryanne: 15/59 = .254
Becky: 9/59 = .153
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COLOR TV $1000: "___ Bloods"
[Applause for John running the category]
(Alex: Hey, well done. But you've been watching
far too much television over the years, John.)
(John: Guilty as charged.)
(Alex: All right, it's paying off, though. Keep it going.)

ANNUAL EVENTS $200: In 2013 the annual August tribute week to him in Memphis included a Graceland trivia tour
(John: [with an [*] accent] Who is [*]?)
(Alex: [with an [*] accent] Yeah, you're right.)
[laughter]

ANNUAL EVENTS $800: The Wings over the Prairie festival in Stuttgart, Ark., in November features the world championship of calling these fowl
(John: What are turkeys?)

CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY $200: This province seen here has more than a third of Canada's people

I RESIGN! $400: On Dec. 31, 1999 this leader apologized to the Russian people & abruptly resigned
(John: Who is Gorbachev?)

IT ENDS WITH "U" $800: The poi and fish
seen here are traditional foods
for this event

CORRECT RESPONSES
Halloween
Virginia
corrida
Tyson
impromptu
John C. Calhoun
sugar cane
John Profumo
The Lumineers
ethical science
fleur-de-lis
Blue Bloods
Elvis
ducks
Ontario
(Boris) Yeltsin
luau

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Symbols
One legend says Clovis, King of the Franks, adopted this symbol after flowers revealed a safe river crossing for his army.

SpoilerShow
What is the fleur-de-lis?

John Pearson: $22,600+$0=$22,600...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Becky Giardina: $10,800+$8,001=$18,801
Maryanne Lewell: $9,400+$9,400=$18,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Lost the coin-flip on White vs. Blue Collar since I have the utter inability to ever get a coin-flip right. It's like I'm cursed. Rest of Color TV was a breeze, although I knew Orange Is the New Black only from rampant ad-spamming on Blip.

US History was 3/5. I clammed on Virginia, and though I knew that Maine had its border adjusted in 1823, I got flustered when I couldn't remember what side of Canada New Brunswick was on.

Too slow to pull out Boston Marathon and Halloween in time.

What was supposed to lead you to ducks on Annual Events for $800? Lots of fowl can be called. Also had no clue on Biloxi.

4/5 in Spanish. Didn't know that menudo was a soup, or that the word had another meaning en español. I swear, they always find something in Spanish categories to throw me for a loop.

Superior was an embarrassing miss on me. I blew right past "on the borders" and didn't catch it until it was too late for me to pull up any lake names.

$400 was my only get in British Monarchs. Had no clue on $200 and thought it could be literally any river because I forgot the category.

====

Yet another 50/50 goes the wrong way on Barnes & Noble/Amazon, since I don't use Kindle or Nook. Again, HOW do I get 50/50s wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME?!?!

Chick-fil-A was epic negbait on the Resign DD IMO, since Chick-fil-A was in the news a lot more than Tyson.

-1/5 in Plants. Got my prefixes mixed up on bird/bee, too slow on sugar cane and frond, and clammed on witch hazel. NHO Bald Cypress.

0/5 in Shakespeare. Would've been 1, but too slow on Othello.

Ran Music. "Free Bird" was overvalued at $2000.

4/5 in Apps. NHO "ethical science".

====

Flower + Franks… fleur-de-lis? Yeah.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:32 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Chick-fil-A was epic negbait on the Resign DD IMO, since Chick-fil-A was in the news a lot more than Tyson.
Yeah, but it's a restaurant, not a chicken company.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:42 pm

I didn't previously know what was the most populous state in the 1790 census, but since the city of New York was mentioned, I thought the correct response would not be the state of New York. I said to myself, "I bet it's either Virginia or Pennsylvania". After (IIRC) Massachusetts and Pennsylvania were both negged, I felt confident saying Virginia, but I needed the assist there.

I lost the coin flip on White Collar / Blue Collar. If there's ever been a TV show called "Blue Collar", wouldn't they have to give credit?

I was leaning Amazon instead of Barnes & Noble, but wasn't confident about Amazon, so luckily remained clam. I said "humane science" for "ethical science". I'm not really aware of either of those being an existing phrase.

I got Calhoun, and was mildly surprised to see it be a TS. The fact that Calhoun was the first VP to resign (and the only one to resign apart from Spiro Agnew) is something I only know from trivia games, but I would sort of expect at least one out of three trivia buffs to know it. That wasn't quite a "shout at the TV" moment, though. It was more of a "I thought trivia buffs knew this" moment.

I tried to precall the FJ response based just on the category, as I successfully did on Tuesday. Today, my guess was "the peace sign". I thought there might be a clue regarding how it comes from the semaphore symbols for N and D for "nuclear disarmament".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_symb ... peace_sign

My precall was of course unsuccessful, but I was able to answer the real clue fairly quickly.

pauljanssen

Post by pauljanssen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Hey Hey Hey! The guy who won spelled "fleur de lis" as "fleur de leis." Now, "lis" sounds like "LEEEEEEEE". "Leis" sounds like LAYS" (or LAY). I thought that the final jeopardy counted spelling errors as substantial if they altered the pronunciation of the answer. (Not that it mattered who won, since the guy didn't bet anyway) But, come on, Jeopardy, if you're gonna apply the rules sternly, then apply the rules sternly. Bogus.

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:45 pm

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Chick-fil-A was epic negbait on the Resign DD IMO, since Chick-fil-A was in the news a lot more than Tyson.
Couldn't a chicken restaurant be considered a chicken company? I can't remember the wording, but I also thought of Chick-fil-a first, then switched to Tyson because of the Arkansas reference. Do y'all even have Tyson in Canada?
(Speaking of Canada, I wonder if the Facebook folks are squawking about a Canadian geography category coming up for the Canadian teacher.)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:51 pm

skullturf wrote:I didn't previously know what was the most populous state in the 1790 census, but since the city of New York was mentioned, I thought the correct response would not be the state of New York. I said to myself, "I bet it's either Virginia or Pennsylvania". After (IIRC) Massachusetts and Pennsylvania were both negged, I felt confident saying Virginia, but I needed the assist there.
For the heck of it:

District Total.
Virginia 747,610
Pennsylvania 434,373
North Carolina 393,751
Massachusetts 378,787
New York 340,120
Maryland 319,728
South Carolina 249,073
Connecticut 237,946
New Jersey 184,139
New Hampshire 141,885
Maine 96,450
Vermont 85,539
Georgia 82,548
Kentucky 73,677
Rhode Island 68,825
Delaware 59,094

Bet you didn't have NC as #3. :)

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Full credit roll on tonight's show confirms Maggie SPeak's promotion to producer.

mrparadise
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrparadise » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Now we all know that Alex would take pains not to mess up too badly the pronouciation of a foreign word, especialy in FJ!, and he wouldn't have to concern himself with French, so I'm sure it is fleur de lease, not lee, as I say whenever the opportunity presents itself. So, can someone briefly fill me in on when the s is pronounced and when it is not. Mercy.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:14 pm

pauljanssen wrote:Hey Hey Hey! The guy who won spelled "fleur de lis" as "fleur de leis." Now, "lis" sounds like "LEEEEEEEE". "Leis" sounds like LAYS" (or LAY). I thought that the final jeopardy counted spelling errors as substantial if they altered the pronunciation of the answer. (Not that it mattered who won, since the guy didn't bet anyway) But, come on, Jeopardy, if you're gonna apply the rules sternly, then apply the rules sternly. Bogus.
They are (and really need to be) more lenient on vowels and foreign words.

But yes, Alex having some French in his background should at least TRY to properly pronounce French words and phrases. This is the umpteenth time he has messed up on that front.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:15 pm

mrparadise wrote:Now we all know that Alex would take pains not to mess up too badly the pronouciation of a foreign word, especialy in FJ!, and he wouldn't have to concern himself with French, so I'm sure it is fleur de lease, not lee, as I say whenever the opportunity presents itself. So, can someone briefly fill me in on when the s is pronounced and when it is not. Mercy.
The 's' is pronounced if it is follwed by an 'e', basically.

And, no. It's pronounced like lee, not like lease. And even if the 's' were not silent, it would have more of a 'z' sound than a hard 's'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:22 pm

It looks like in both English and in French, both pronunciations are attested by some authorities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis#cite_note-4

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Aaaaand there goes Facebook again. :roll:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:23 pm

They could have ruled him wrong for all we know. Not that it mattered.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:52 pm

pauljanssen wrote:Hey Hey Hey! The guy who won spelled "fleur de lis" as "fleur de leis." Now, "lis" sounds like "LEEEEEEEE". "Leis" sounds like LAYS" (or LAY). I thought that the final jeopardy counted spelling errors as substantial if they altered the pronunciation of the answer. (Not that it mattered who won, since the guy didn't bet anyway) But, come on, Jeopardy, if you're gonna apply the rules sternly, then apply the rules sternly. Bogus.
Aloha.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm

debramc wrote:
econgator wrote:
Couldn't a chicken restaurant be considered a chicken company? I can't remember the wording, but I also thought of Chick-fil-a first, then switched to Tyson because of the Arkansas reference. Do y'all even have Tyson in Canada?
(Speaking of Canada, I wonder if the Facebook folks are squawking about a Canadian geography category coming up for the Canadian teacher.)
It's not a well-known chicken company I don't think. I admit, I couldn't name a chicken company until about a month ago when I started working for the customs brokerage I currently work at, and Tyson is one of our biggest customers. (Evidenced by the fact that my supervisor yells at me only when I get a Tyson order wrong :) ). Oh, and that should answer debramc's second question as well. :)
skullturf wrote:I didn't previously know what was the most populous state in the 1790 census, but since the city of New York was mentioned, I thought the correct response would not be the state of New York. I said to myself, "I bet it's either Virginia or Pennsylvania". After (IIRC) Massachusetts and Pennsylvania were both negged, I felt confident saying Virginia, but I needed the assist there.
I figured VA was a safe bet what with all the presidents and founding fathers that came from there.
bpmod wrote:

But yes, Alex having some French in his background should at least TRY to properly pronounce French words and phrases. This is the umpteenth time he has messed up on that front.

Brian
So, should I be expected to pronounce Norwegian words flawlessly having a grandmother whose parents both came from Norway?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:00 pm

dhkendall wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
So, should I be expected to pronounce Norwegian words flawlessly having a grandmother whose parents both came from Norway?
If you were pronouncing them on (inter)national television, yes.

Brian

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Spanish Class $200: I'm pretty sure it's "un terremoto" or just "un temblor," not "temblor de tierra"...or at least, I've never heard it like that.

What a great game. John is shaping up to being a potentially deadly player--if he keeps this up, everybody else better watch out.

The Trebekkies in the audience begs the question: how does one exactly cheer for Alex? :P
アタックチャンス!