Thursday, November 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, November 14, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John Boy wrote:How about we just leave it at this? In this game, "fleur de lis" should be pronounced "Instaget."
I knew how to spell it, but not pronounce it. French pronounciation is so wonky that I didn't bother. I'm surprised it's not pronounced "fig newton".
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Whadda ya know, there is even a song:

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

pauljanssen wrote: "Leis" is a foreign word? I know "lis" is, but "Leis" is clearly an english word - albeit one that came from the Hawaiian. Like ..... how many english words that come from other languages? The guy was just wrong, and Jeopardy didn't catch it. I don't see how it can be argued otherwise. (Even though it didn't matter in the outcome of this particular game)
You don't see how it can be argued otherwise because you don't understand the rules or will listen to why you are wrong. So just accept it and let's all move on.

And in my best Rain Man voice, "Waffle House sucks".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

stevo4212 wrote:Finally, why is Orange is the New Black considered a tv show? It's not on television, it's on the internet - without the help of Roku anyway.

Why is CSI considered a TV show? It's not on television—without the help of a cable box or antenna anyway—it's on cables and in the air.

AMTR, part 2: I've watched several episodes of Orange Is the New Black on my TV. No Roku box here.

As delivery methods change, here's a quick and dirty way to keep tabs of what constitutes a TV show. Does the ([Inter]National) Academy of Television Arts & Sciences call it a TV show? Three different Netflix offerings received Emmy nominations earlier this year. Netflix is TV. QED.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote:
stevo4212 wrote:Finally, why is Orange is the New Black considered a tv show? It's not on television, it's on the internet - without the help of Roku anyway.
House of Cards racked up 3 Emmy wins (Director, Cinematographer and casting) and a slew of nominations. If it's good enough for them...
As usual, I didn't read ahead.
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

debramc wrote:And like Dave mentioned, probably lots of people couldn't name an actual chicken company. Or similar support companies in lots of industries.
I wouldn't put Tyson in the same category as a "support company", principally because they are a major retail brand. You can't peruse the frozen chicken aisle of most grocery stores (at least around here) without seeing the Tyson name and logo everywhere. Also, they advertise in multiple media, and have run so many television ads that I can hear their commercial jingle running through my head right now ("Tyson's feeding you, like family...").
alamble wrote:A chicken company produces the chicken; Chick-Fil-A just cooks and sells it.
And a darned good job they do of it. I love me some Chick-Fil-A. I also enjoy the excellent service and happy employees who seem to love their jobs. You don't get that at most fast food restaurants. (But I have seen it at In-N-Out, so there's another similarity between these two "cult" establishments.)
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

OrangeSAM wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:... I couldn't remember what side of Canada New Brunswick is on...
It's on the right side of Canada.
Damn straight.

Interesting experience watching last night's game - my wife is a Saint John High alumna, and Maryanne is as far as I can tell something like the third Maritimer ever to appear on the show, though of course there may be other unarchived players from Down East. It was a lot of fun to have one of our own to root for, and she certainly made things exciting, with a late push at the end of each round. When I saw the Final Jeopardy clue, I was very relieved - I figured there was no way a Canadian French teacher was going to miss fleur de lis. The bet was obviously exciting too.

In non-Atlantic Canadian pride news, John looked very close to unbeatable. I suppose it's possible it was his dream board, but I have to think it was Maryanne's as well (CANADIAN GEOGRAPHY? The British Monarchy? A $1000 question about New Brunswick in a third category? The aforementioned French Final Jeopardy? Yow) and he was handily beating her to the buzzer most of the way. He's gotta be the early pick to win it all.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

WooWho? wrote:The Trebekkies in the audience begs the question: how does one exactly cheer for Alex? :P
Someone on FB just posted a link to purchase a Trebekkies t-shirts. Looks to be some sort of crowdfunding effort wherein shirts are printed only if enough people commit. I think I'll put myself down for one. I've done a lot worse with fifteen bucks.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:You're frustrated you didn't get to eat at a fast food restaurant? That's no way to go through life, son.
It is if it's a "cult" chain like In-N-Out Burger.
Bamaman wrote:I've defended TPH a lot on here, but now he says he doesn't like Waffle House? I'm done with him.
I said I can take or leave. To be fair, I've only ever had it once, and nothing was bad, but nothing really stood out either.

Breakfast-y foods like waffles, pancakes, and omelettes are generally hard to screw up from my experience. I've generally found IHOP to be best across the board, Perkins almost as good, and Denny's not so good. But in St. Louis, I happened to eat at both a bad IHOP and a good Denny's, so who knows anymore.
I've never actually had waffles at Waffle House. I always just get eggs with hash browns. I love their hash browns.

I ate at a Perkins once and didn't like it. Not a huge fan of Denny's or IHOP, but I do like Shoney's, but haven't seen one in years.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Have any of the Trebekkies been identified? The second from the left kinda looked like Jeanie, but they cut over so quickly there wasn't much of a chance to tell.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

alietr wrote:Have any of the Trebekkies been identified? The second from the left kinda looked like Jeanie, but they cut over so quickly there wasn't much of a chance to tell.
I don't believe that's her, but I'd like to find out how to get one of those shirts. The ones the guy I mentioned upthread is selling aren't the same. They are in the Jeopardy font. These are actually an original series Star Trek font.

If you are one of these people and can hook me up with a shirt, please send me a private message. :D
trebekkies.jpg
trebekkies.jpg (161.67 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The only Chick-fil-A in Michigan is on a college campus. Always puzzled me.
Same with New York (at NYU).
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since there's no mention of it on her site, I kinda doubt that was Jeanie.
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

I disagree with Becky's wager to one up Maryanne. She was not the only one to worry about. In this situation, there was no second or third to worry about. The idea was to get the highest score possible to qualify. A miss would be as good as a mile so she should have gone all in. She'll probably still qualify but the odds would have been much better with a higher score.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:You're frustrated you didn't get to eat at a fast food restaurant? That's no way to go through life, son.
It is if it's a "cult" chain like In-N-Out Burger.
It's not a cult; it's regional. There's talk about putting one in midtown Manhattan, but otherwise, it doesn't exist outside the West Coast, or maybe just California and Las Vegas. They're also less obtrusive with their religiosity than Chick-fil-A.
I said I can take or leave. To be fair, I've only ever had it once, and nothing was bad, but nothing really stood out either.

Breakfast-y foods like waffles, pancakes, and omelettes are generally hard to screw up from my experience. I've generally found IHOP to be best across the board, Perkins almost as good, and Denny's not so good. But in St. Louis, I happened to eat at both a bad IHOP and a good Denny's, so who knows anymore.
If you've ever had to drive for any length of time through the South, Waffle House isn't only decent food, it's a life saver. Those of you with bladders will understand.

As far as food, though, Bob's Big Boy helped make me what I am today. I probably should sue.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

That's one thing you can say for McDonald's: the only clean bathrooms in many countries.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

In n Out Locations:

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
debramc wrote:And like Dave mentioned, probably lots of people couldn't name an actual chicken company. Or similar support companies in lots of industries.
I wouldn't put Tyson in the same category as a "support company", principally because they are a major retail brand. You can't peruse the frozen chicken aisle of most grocery stores (at least around here) without seeing the Tyson name and logo everywhere. Also, they advertise in multiple media, and have run so many television ads that I can hear their commercial jingle running through my head right now ("Tyson's feeding you, like family...").
Ok, I concede the point. Although I don't recognize any jingle or remember seeing TV ads for Tyson. I probably have, but not enough to make any impression. I do see ads in the weekly grocery flyers.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

debramc wrote:I don't recognize any jingle or remember seeing TV ads for Tyson
Here ya go! :)

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

alietr wrote:In n Out Locations:

It has been a while since I've been in Ft. Worth...

If Whataburger still exists, that should be one heck of a competition.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.